Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

Do you miss the FOPPs?

========================================

"The pleasant tolerant atmosphere on GEI has defiantly returned since the exodus." - enrieb

I've told you Bubb you missed the great opportunity it was in March HL, SLW, NG etc. etc.

Maybe if I had spent the last six months crowing every day my stocks went up ( and they practically have) I would have driven people away like you have.

You've only been right for a few days.

Good riddance to the 1-way Gold rampers !

Those that left were creating too much friction here, and the site is running better.

(Frankly, I got sick and tired of running a free website and dealing with so many battles.

No doubt, some of the conflict was designed to destroy the good feeling on this website,

and make people eager to try a new home. When I first realised that, I was rather angry.

But to be honest, I have better things to do with my time than worry about what Jim Sinclair

and his over-enthused followers think.)

I much prefer those who want a balanced view to a Gold cheering circle.

BTW, I made some nice gains on some of those stocks, like SLW, that I bought below $4.00.

Also, since September, I made a 4x-5x bagger on one of my larger positions. But I didnt tell

everyone in the world they had to jump in, and were "evil" not to be buying.

The next big opportunity may be in Juniors, possibly as early as January, if things line up right.

This thread is a good place to have a discussion about the future of the website, and whether

anyone here misses the FOPPs and their arguments.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fop.jpg

The term "fop" cracks me up. I think as long as the fopps were not too militant in their views and displayed tolerance to the views of others, they were great to have around. The problem was that some of the fopps became foppish and precious towards any rational criticism displayed towards their view and then sulked off. All a bit silly really,and a jolly poor show. Stiff upper lip old chap and all that. :)

FOPPS? Friends of Pangbourne Primary School, what have they done wrong? :rolleyes:

http://www.fopps.org.uk/

LOL.

I thought this discussion (which started elsewhere) deserved a thread of its own.

Unfortunately, GEI is still experiencing a fair amount of "fishing" from the other website

Followers of.... [i think you can guess the rest].

Yeah. They may be beating their own brains out on a different website, as we get down to the

serious business of spotting the next great buying opportunity here.

I'm thinking the more subdued nature of this thread speaks volumes. ;)

Yeah. They have all gone a bit quiet here.

Hows the mood over on 24K. Is it all "don't worry, this price fall is temporary, chaps!" ?

It is interesting how we have been left with our very nice old core of reasonable balanced posters here.

A smaller website, with more balanced discussions, is very welcome to me.

LOL.

I thought this discussion (which started elsewhere) deserved a thread of its own.

Unfortunately, GEI is still experiencing a fair amount of "fishing" from the other website

Yeah. They may be beating their own brains out on a different website, as we get down to the

Hows the mood over on 24K. Is it all "don't worry, this price fall is temporary, chaps!" ?

It is interesting how we have been left with our very nice old core of reasonable balanced posters here.

What is FOPP?

But you're right. The people who squeal with delight evertime the price of gold falls a couple of bucks are getting quite boring.

What a relief! Friends of Pied Pipers (sont histoire) - great name.

Thank you Dr Bubb and I think you did so much the right thing. Some threads on this site had become like a war zone, and whilst old faithfuls probably were not leaving they were being more brief with their visits (if I am one to go on). The recent drop in gold sent them catatonic - and that is starting from a fairly wired base!

I am a strategist for one of the US consultancies and am sitting on a sum of money to invest - not massive, but certainly large enough to be worried about it "just sitting in bank accounts". I have taught myself about the markets over the last five years and your site has been a great part of that.

I always visit your Trading Diary first to get a barometer - and I like the fact it takes account of currency markets and metals as well as stock indices. I also like your more philosophical threads too. I am hoping that one day Green investments can become more central and this site will have been the first real blogsite to support them.

The site I go to in US hours is ZeroHedge - a fantastic place for up to the minute wise-bear observations.

Thank you.

What is FOPP?

But you're right. The people who squeal with delight evertime the price of gold falls a couple of bucks are getting quite boring.

Ah well.

I think the chance to buy Gold or Gold stocks before the next major run is worth waiting for.

Too much strident "noise", while monitoring markets, and awaiting that time would be counterproductive.

... I am hoping that one day Green investments can become more central and this site will have been the first real blogsite to support them.

I agree that a good focus there would be nice.

The problem is that it si not easy to separate the wheat from the chaff.

There are many "promotional" companies, that are cashing in on the present enthusiasm for green technologies.

But their businesses may amount to nothing, and just take investors for a ride.

I'm not sure I have enough knowledge of the science to lead people to the winners.

What is FOPP?

As are those that squeal with delight when anything else falls. It's inevitable that someone will be offended when their pet investment starts to move the wrong way and someone else seems to be making a profit from it.

As are those that squeal with delight when anything else falls. It's inevitable that someone will be offended when their pet investment starts to move the wrong way and someone else seems to be making a profit from it.

Losing cash brings out the worst in people. Being proved wrong makes people feel even worse. Taking the micky out of people at such times is fun, but will likely cause some dispute.

In any case I still feel that gold will resume its upward trend. I don't see the Fed's inflationary policys ending any time soon.

LOL.

I don't think it is worth worrying about, live and let live I say. I've had the occasional look at 24k and they seem to have had one or two problems already as the site owner has tried to apply certain rules, one or two members seem to have left or disagreed over the policy. Other than a few anarchy forums, I don't know of any boards that don't have rules or codes of conduct. Unfortunately, it is inevitable that some people seem to be offended by this, but if you have no rules then eventually your site is going to be taken out by trolls and because some trolls are very good at what they do it is getting more difficult to identify them as against genuine members who just happen to have a different point of view.

Losing cash brings out the worst in people. Being proved wrong makes people feel even worse. Taking the micky out of people at such times is fun, but will likely cause some dispute.

In any case I still feel that gold will resume its upward trend. I don't see the Fed's inflationary policys ending any time soon.

I agree.

but to be fair, I have to give you some credit Bubb (even though it pains me to do so) for leaving the 24knews sig on our user accounts. :)

No doubt you have seen the action at that site. At least now you are not amongst the worst moderators any more. :D your crown has been taken in an absolute autocratic style that has made even the hardened virtual posters like myself wince with shock. :o

but to be fair, I have to give you some credit Bubb (even though it pains me to do so) for leaving the 24knews sig on our user accounts. :)

Did you not have it on your sig at one stage (forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw it)? I assume it is you that removed it?

Bubb, No6 et al, you are going to have:

eggonface_1.jpg

;)

This is exactly what troubles me !

GOM, I am afraid that I would class you as a true FOPP right now,

Many FOPPs have been aggressively abusing and ridiculing those who were bearish, or even just firmly neutral

on Gold, and merely trying to present a more balanced view.

When the price turned lower, and it was the FOPPs' turn to take a bit of teasing and moderate ridicule,

they got angry, or just ran away.

It is very clear to everyone who is wearing the egg right now, even if most of the FOPPs are hiding

on the other website.

If those, like me, who see a big move in gold someday, get long again as the dollar rally/ gold fall

is running its course, there will be no need to wear egg at all.

But the FOPPs dont see that simple truth, they simply want to hurl mud at anyoen who disagrees with them.

Thank Gawd, they now have their own website, and can leave GEI's balanced posters in peace.

Also welcome are genuine bears, and enthusiastic bulls, so long as they are willing to respect the views

of others.

genuine bears (who are welcome if they show respect)

I never really understood why the debate became so animated. Almost all markets in all of history have gone up and down so a market going up then down is a fairly mundane event.

Actually, Mike, the aggressive actions/reactions is often a pretty important indication of a major top !

Remember UK property in 2007?

What is FOPP?

Bubb can't really get over this, can he? Anyway, not all FOPP (how about friends of ...) have left. But, yeah, I have seen that something has gone nuclear over at 24K already. Something to do with swampy I think... Who would have thought it?!

Seems like more tumbleweed at 24K now than here. :o

Archived