Alternative needed to HPC?

Message sent. Dr B.

Hi, Masked. It finally happened.

I have been banned from HPC for a year for giving HPC an ultimatum, as an effort to stop abuse from certain posters.

If you want to read my posts about this, they are GEI, as well as a shortcut to my big HP Data thread here.

I wish you well. Don't let the bastards get you down. Best, DrBubb

Dr B, would you like ALL GEI members who have active accounts on HPC to send this message ?

To be honest, I VERY rarely vist the place (and chances are my name on there would have very little weight to it) but if it's numbers you require............ I'll be happy to help "fill up an inbox".

HPC died a LONG time ago for me.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they're not worth the bother, a large number of quality posters have left, some recently (or forced out) & hang around some where else.

You already have a established site, just have a house/ economy/ current affairs section on main page, sure to attract more posters.

Okay

( [#103126] Your posting rights have been removed by an administrator. )

I have been banned now

My next step...

I may threaten to sue then if they do not remove ALL of my posts from the site.

Time to move on

Given the witch-hunts and bannings that have been on there recently I am surprised you even bothered to frequent it any more.

It's not quite what it was.. but I'll stick my neck out and say I still enjoy browsing it.

Banning Bubb is frankly their loss.. He's one of the few posters who makes interesting, carefully structured topics that aren't just cut-n-pastes.

Thanks for that, L.

I am leaving the field to Tiny Prof and his friends.

Any name suggestions (or partners) for an HPC rival?

(Hmm... I just thought of one)

It might be a good time to launch.

Where's a nice cheap place to buy Domain names?

A "SURGICAL" MOVE ?

I have to give HPC credit - they have moved fast.

I only had to mention here on GEI idea of removing my posts and threads from HPC, and they seem to have done that already. (I never posted the idea on HPC, or made the threat by email or otherwise to anyone there - so they are obviously reading GEI.)

I was one of the top posters there, and many of my threads were popular, so that's a lot of material, at least a million posts have probably been removed. And I suppose that represented over 10 million historical viewings. (just a crude guess.)

I really have to wonder who is the loser on that? And whether the average HPC poster will know that some history has been lost. Somehow, I think they may have moved the threads to a hidden section somewhere, but maybe not.

(After the foot-shooting, we see):

Top Threads

320,847 The Welcome Thread For New Members (Bubble Pricker)

180,208 Answer To 'should I Buy Now Or Rent' Questions (Scott)

Top DB threads

(removed, several were over 100,000 posts)

Top HPC Posters

(to be collected)

===========================================

[#10344] You do not have permission to view this topic.

(some threads lost to posterity perhaps include):

It's Nearly Over, The Dead Cat Bounce - House Price Crash forum ...

10 posts - 7 authors - Last post: 3 Jun

Unlike Dr Bubb who just copies and pastes screeds of random technical ... Are you confusing Dr Bubb with Gordon Brown and/or the Bank of ...

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=128817...Get more discussion results

Signs Of Credit Tightening: Let's Keep Track - House Price Crash forum

15 posts - 9 authors - Last post: 9 Dec 2005

This post has been edited by DrBubb: 31 December 2005 - 02:36 PM ... DrBubb, on Dec 8 2005, 10:02 AM, said: # 1: The Mortgage Works ...

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic... - Cached - SimilarGet more discussion results

Buying Time? Dead Cat Bounce? Or Cycle Low? - House Price Crash forum

15 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 21 May 2009

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/images/bubble-lifecycle.gif .... DrBubb, Founder of GEI, where the "Investors with an Edge" hang out. ...

Hpc Indices: Early Indicators For House Prices - House Price Crash ...

15 posts - 6 authors - Last post: 13 Aug 2005

This post has been edited by DrBubb: 05 November 2005 - 10:30 AM ..... I agree - Dr Bubb could you post a brief expos on the lines for those ...

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic...

Uk Property - Looks Cheap (If You Own A Gold Mine) - House Price ...

8 posts - 6 authors - Last post: 16 Jul

House Price Crash forum: Uk Property - Looks Cheap (If You Own A Gold Mine) - House ... So DrBubb, does this mean we are at the bottom? ...

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=147278 - Cached

Keep The Dream By Ditching The Car, & The Suburbs - House Price ...

15 posts - 8 authors - Last post: 21 Apr 2008

This post has been edited by DrBubb: 21 April 2008 - 05:25 AM ... DrBubb, on Apr 20 2008, 11:20 PM, said: Live in a smaller home, close to ...

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic...

Why not set up an alternative house price discussion website? GEIPropertywatch? Beat them at their own game.

That way you make sure only adults and those with at least a 3 digit IQ could join. HPC has veered way off course from what it used to be.

how can you beat some one at their own game when you cant even win at your own.

The reason people got pissed off with Bubbs forecast was the way in which his articles were written.

The dead cat bounce thread is a classic exampe of this.

I am not sure why he/she cant just admit that they were wrong and move on rather than making excuses everytime

Don't worry about it Doc. The "cleanout" started back in August and they kicked out many quality posters. Frankly, I don't know what they're playing at. I thought traffic generated income.... but with the loss of some top posters I can only see traffic dropping off. Maybe they have a plan. :rolleyes:

As far as I can see, HPC is a bit of a headless site. What the hell IS HousePriceCrash.co.uk?

Is it a:

1. A pressure group aimed at forcing house prices down?

2. A serious investment forum?

3. A site geared towards mining strong emotive views for the interests of generating page views and thus advertising revenue?

My answers:

1. No. I can't believe they give a darn about activism. I've experimentally posted under a few usernames on this front and the interest is not there.

2. Partially no/yes. Serious investors post there and inform non-serious posters (e.g. Bubb, et al). But it's not where people go for profound insight.

3. Yes, yes, yes. OK, so I've conjured a little personal bias here. But it's taken 4 years of study*. I reckon the webmasters of HPC care NOTHING about the plights of you and I, from investor to first time buyer, to anywhere in between.

Answer 3, to me, resolves the major predicament of why the hell do HPC ban so many people with genuinely independent, intelligent and thoughtful views??

Best of luck Doc. I like your outspoken, free-thinking** style and it's little wonder you've been banned (despite the fact you requested it).

TRUTH IS: you need get on with what you think is best. You've been doing that for years with GEI. Why tolerate HPC any longer? It IS noble that you try to help, but I sense that working under the wings of HPC is limiting. So perhaps take this as a blessing.

You're better than HPC.

HPC is like a rubbish nightclub that you thought ought to be OK because that's where we all went to for years. But then it came under new management (Fubra?) and I think perhaps as a result of that its culture has changed. Who knows what the BOARD MEMBERS of Fubra Ltd think?

If you want to stay slightly involved in HPC, may I gently suggest the News Blog? I recently learned it's dealt with by an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT bunch of folk to the forum.

Linky: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/newsblog/

Best of luck to you Bubb. Many of us have been seriously inspired by your works. :)

*yeah, I've lurked on HPC for 4 years... occasionally posted (!), but generally steered clear! ;)

**I can't agree with everything you say, but massively appreciate your depth of experience.

how can you beat some one at their own game when you cant even win at your own.

The reason people got pissed off with Bubbs forecast was the way in which his articles were written.

The dead cat bounce thread is a classic exampe of this.

I am not sure why he/she cant just admit that they were wrong and move on rather than making excuses everytime

Greets Strings. Welcome to GEI. :)

Reality is that this is a long, long game: Right and Wrong are too short-term a bet. Or plain stupid.

Are you naive, or ignorant? This is a very long game and the fact that you wrote this as your first post suggests you are trying to be inflammatory.

Excuses? LOL. Suggests to me you just do not get it, mate. Global governments are in an entirely unanticipated position. Bless 'em.

Listen, Strings, instead of knocking another's ideas (easy peasy / lazy daisy), why not contribute one or two of your own, huh?

@GEI Regulars - apologies for getting chatty, just feeling the need to speak out! :)

Greets Strings. Welcome to GEI. :)

Reality is that this is a long, long game: Right and Wrong are too short-term a bet. Or plain stupid.

Are you naive, or ignorant? This is a very long game and the fact that you wrote this as your first post suggests you are trying to be inflammatory.

Excuses? LOL. Suggests to me you just do not get it, mate. Global governments are in an entirely unanticipated position, bless 'em.

Listen, Strings, instead of knocking another's ideas (easy peasy / lazy daisy), why not contribute one or two of your own, huh?

@GEI Regulars - apologies for getting chatty, just feeling the need to speak out! :)

I'm not knocking them at all, merely stating a matter of fact that in this case DRBUBB was wrong in his forecast regarding the Dead cat bounce.

The original thread was calling the top of the "bounce" to occur nearly a year ago. It clearly has not happened no matter what spin you put on it.

Why cant he admit that he was wrong?

I'm not knocking them at all, merely stating a matter of fact that in this case DRBUBB was wrong in his forecast regarding the Dead cat bounce.

The original thread was calling the top of the "bounce" to occur nearly a year ago. It clearly has not happened no matter what spin you put on it.

What is the definition of a "dead cat bounce"?

Perhaps the timeframe is longer than you were expecting but the basic principle does appear to be correct: house prices bumped up a bit and are now back on their way down.

Sounds like a "dead cat bounce" to me. So... Not a wrong forecast.

Next?

What is the definition of a "dead cat bounce"?

Perhaps the timeframe is longer than you were expecting but the basic principle does appear to be correct: house prices bumped up a bit and are now back on their way down.

Sounds like a "dead cat bounce" to me. So... Not a wrong forecast.

Next?

I didn't set the time frame, he did!

I suggest you read the thread then comment on it

By the way, prices have stagnated oposed to "crash cruise speed"

I am aware of the thread.

"Crash cruise speed" is a cool tag line, isn't it?

You HAVE to look long term, mate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business...se-2094467.html

The building society said that house prices gained just 0.1 per cent last month, and fell by 0.9 per cent on a three-month basis, confirming economists' views that the market is set for a period of decline. The three-month rate turned negative for the first time since May 2009.

Great headline: "No room for optimism after tiny house price increase"

You better check out your definition of "wrong".

Actually, strings,

That is not accurate (!) my original, original forecast made on April 5th 2009 was for a Dead Cat bounce of 9-12 months.

I could show it to you, if I could get into the thread.

But you can also hear it in my own words here:

http://globaledge.podbean.com/2010/07/18/g...-in-uk-housing/ (x minutes in)

At one stage on HPC, I did briefly think it would peter out in the summer of 2009, and I said the bounce may die in Aug/Sept 2009*.

But I kept waiting for a signal from the builders that the second slide was coming. I did not get any such clear signal,

and so I later changed to forecast to Winter 2009/10, or Q1-2010 - back to my original time frame, which was dead on.

So I'm going to claim it was close a Bulls Eye.

One of the things I HATED about some HPC posters is that they would look for the tinyest error or possible error, and

blast it all around the site. This was slanderous lying, but none of the HPC Mods gave a d@mn.

I even set up a thread called : "Bateman's Incrediby accurate property forecasts", and asked one of my detractors for his

forecast. (That thread has been been moved or deleted too.) He was so embarrassingly wrong, while my forecast proved

basically accurate. I think he stopped posting with embarrassment.

I used to constantly get posts and PM's there (and here to) from people who thnaked me for my commentary.

So I must have been doing something right !

== ==

*I presume that was what you are talking about

Please provide a link, and also examine the overall context, I am sure you will find what I said above was true.

Some indices (Rightmove and maybe Hometrack and Nationwide) are already showing the beginnings of a

crash cruise speed move - which I presently define as a multi-month side averagiung at least 0.5-1.0% per month.

As far as I can see, HPC is a bit of a headless site. What the hell IS HousePriceCrash.co.uk?

Is it a:

1. A pressure group aimed at forcing house prices down?

2. A serious investment forum?

3. A site geared towards mining strong emotive views for the interests of generating page views and thus advertising revenue?

. . .

HPC is like a rubbish nightclub that you thought ought to be OK because that's where we all went to for years. But then it came under new management (Fubra?) and I think perhaps as a result of that its culture has changed. Who knows what the BOARD MEMBERS of Fubra Ltd think?

If you want to stay slightly involved in HPC, may I gently suggest the News Blog? I recently learned it's dealt with by an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT bunch of folk to the forum.

Thanks for those comments (including the ones I haven't copied.)

They are much appreciated, TI.

Do you think there would be an interest in a SERIOUS chatboard narrowly focussed on Property?

If so, I may tru to start it (I have a name in mind) and ask for volunteers to join it, and some to act as Mods.

This is important since I am not in the UK timezone, and I think much of the original posters would be in that zone.

I might even consider a business partner in such a venture, if he could bring the right ingredients to the table.

It would not cost much to start it. But it would require a time investment.

No I don't think so, property's very much the last decade don't you think?

If you were going to start a website based on self-subsistence and/or a not for profit website where people can trade old junk for more useful old junk FOC then what a great idea, it would be far more in tune with where we are in the current business cycle. Now if you wanted to do something like that, I'm all ears.

Do you think there would be an interest in a SERIOUS chatboard narrowly focussed on Property?

NON - everyone needs somewhere to live and for many (or is that the lucky few) that means to decide whether to rent or buy.

That is aside from those thinking of housebuilder/commercial property shares and property investments.

And some will want to gloat on the misery of those who invested at the top of the market (maybe?!).

If you were going to start a website based on self-subsistence and/or a not for profit website where people can trade old junk for more useful old junk FOC then what a great idea, it would be far more in tune with where we are in the current business cycle. Now if you wanted to do something like that, I'm all ears.

People need tips on how to get more out of Renting,

and even how to Travel at a lower cost - but with more style.

Some are put off by aspects of GEI, but may be more open to a property-focussed website.

I will allow people with think they have an interesting comment to post it on Both Sites,

as I have been doing on HPC for sometime. Most of the threads I started there were clones of new threads here.

I have found elsewhere that the best way to deal with trollers is to ignore them - but do it in a devastating way. You wait until they make a post, then within a couple of minutes you add your own post directly under theirs, one that has nothing to do with their trolling and indeed moves the argument on in such manner as to make it obvious that you are treating their posts with silent contempt. very few trollers have the will to rise to this treatment for any length of time. You win the moral victory.

So far as I am aware, you can't take legal action for defamation posted on the web. That is why there are so many sites that get away with slagging off the Bush dynasty etc etc. I wouldn't waste time or money on a legal challenge. I place lawyers beside economists as self-serving parasites and mountbanks.

Archived