FACEBOOK at $38, FB = $104 Billion. Is it overvalued?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New LOW !

FB : $18.238 -0.8505

Open: 18.68 / High: 18.70 / Low: 18.22

Volume: 33,941,962

Percent Change: -4.46%

20792967.png

My target is lower still: $12-14.

But there have been three-gaps down, so a bottom near here is possiblt

== ==

Bloomberg: Obama's chair has a Facebook account.

How do you sell ads to it ??

eastwood%20and%20the%20chair.jpg

Does anyone READ ANYMORE ?

As Facebook's stock continues to collapse, the volume of whining is increasing.

Four months ago, you will recall, Facebook was viewed as "the next Google." Now, with no major change in the fundamentals, it's viewed as an over-hyped disaster. Meanwhile, there is ever-louder grumbling that 26-year-old Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is in over his head and should be relieved of command.

As I listen to all this whining, I have a simple question:

Didn't anyone even read Facebook's IPO prospectus?

The answer, I can only assume, is "no."

Because if anyone had read the Facebook IPO prospectus, they would have learned, among other things, the following:

Facebook's growth rate was decelerating rapidly.

Facebook's user-base was rapidly transitioning to mobile devices, which produce much less revenue.

Facebook's operating profit margin was already an astounding 50%, which suggested it had nowhere to go but down.

Facebook's CEO had a nearly unprecedented amount of control over the company.

In the 9 months following the IPO, insiders would be free to sell more than 2 billion shares of Facebook that they had been holding for years.

Facebook was going public at an astoundingly high price for a company with these characteristics—about 60-times the following year's projected earnings, in a market in which other hot tech companies like Apple and Google were trading at less than 15-times.

Even more importantly, if anyone had read the IPO prospectus, they also would have learned the following, all of which was expressed in a letter written directly to prospective shareholders by CEO Mark Zuckerberg:

Facebook's social mission is more important to Mark Zuckerberg than Facebook's business.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-stock-letter-shareholders#ixzz25YGk7hPs

FB: 17.729 -0.329

Percent Change: -1.82%

Maybe they should change the symbol to: "HS", for "Horse ----"

It seems that some folks have invested in a Social Enterprise, without realising it.

(I wonder if Zuck thinks of them as "greedy suckers"?)

• 1 month later...

The bulls will be saying "Hold that Line!" (the 76d MA)

FB / Facebook ... update

42773854.gif

If the price falls below that, then that will be a sign FB holders just used the bump up, as a chance to lighten up - that's my guess

Facebook earnings from Q3

Total Revenue: $1.26 billion vs $1.229 billion expectations.

--EPS: $0.12 vs. $0.11 expectations

(Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/live-facebook-earnings-2012-10#ixzz2ATl1RHn8)

At Facebook's current price of $21.70 that's a P/E ratio of 180. What the feck is going on here? Why are people buying this?

• 3 weeks later...

Marketwatch excerpt;

"Facebook braces for biggest lockup wave

More than 800 million post-IPO shares coming to market this week

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — Facebook Inc. will face its own fiscal cliff of sorts this week, when about 800 million of the company’s shares held by insiders become eligible for sale.

Those Facebook FB -0.65% shares are set to emerge from a post-initial public offering lockup on Wednesday, making them available for sale in the open market and potentially doubling the size of the company’s share float.

It’s the biggest post-lockup wave since the company went public in May. But analysts disagree on the market event’s impact, given improving investor sentiment on Facebook and the fact that the stock already has survived two similar jolts.

111212facebooklockup_512x288.jpg

Facebook braces for biggest share lockup wave

About 800 million shares are set to emerge from a post-IPO lockup period that could nearly double the size of Facebook's current share float. MarketWatch's Dan Gallagher reports. (Photo: AP)

“I think it will have a massive impact, and already has,” Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter told MarketWatch last week. He noted Facebook’s share loss since its Oct. 23 earnings report, “and that’s because of this overhang.”

Facebook shares jumped 19% a day after its report, but the stock later declined by as much as 17%, slipping below $20. However, the stock rallied 4.5% to close up to $20.07 Monday.

The lockup expiration on Wednesday will add a little more than 800 million shares to Facebook’s existing share float of about 921 million, according to the company’s most recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

“It’s impossible to know whether VCs [venture capitalists] and other early investors will sell, but Peter Thiel’s sale of more than 80% of his stock is a sign that others may consider doing the same,” Pachter added.

Thiel, the PayPal co-founder who was one of Facebook’s first investors, also became the first insider to sell a big chunk of his shares in August.

Two earlier lockup expirations over the last three months each triggered a selloff. The first wave of about 270 million unlocked shares in mid-August was among the factors that pushed the stock down to its record low of $17.55 in early September.

The second lockup wave of shares (mostly held by Facebook employees) caused the stock to slide last month, slipping below the $19 mark just days before the third-quarter earnings report. Read Tech Investor: Facebook stock costs will wipe out profit.

Yet the negative impact of this week’s massive post-lockup wave could be offset by another factor: Wall Street sentiment on Facebook has notably improved. That’s largely because of the Oct. 23 earnings report, which was highlighted by a big jump in revenue and signs of a growing mobile-ad business. At least three brokerages upgraded the stock to buy ratings following the results."

Some fun and games this week perhaps?

The bulls will be saying "Hold that Line!" (the 76d MA)

FB / Facebook ... update

42773854.gif

If the price falls below that, then that will be a sign FB holders just used the bump up, as a chance to lighten up - that's my guess

" a chance to lighten up" - and so it was

FB: $19.86 / Change: -0.21

Open: 19.605 / High: 20.11 / Low: 19.56

Volume: 71,508,213

Percent Change: -1.05%

Here comes the Wave... starting today:

" expiration on Wednesday will add a little more than 800 million shares to Facebook’s existing share float of about 921 million"

LOL, Cuban nails it on the success of the IPO:

http://blogmaverick.com/2012/09/04/facebook-handled-their-ipo-exactly-right/

I'm still not buying FB at current prices. When the dip below $15 I'll think again.

My hunch is that FB might eventually make a bid for RIM / Blackberry in order to acquire expertise in producing a mobile phone optimised for the FaceBook platform. That could be a game-changer...

• 4 weeks later...

Massachusetts Fines Morgan Stanley Over Facebook IPO

New York Times - ‎9 hours ago‎

A Massachusetts regulator alleged that Michael Grimes, a banker at Morgan Stanley, coached Facebook on how to share information with analysts.

• 2 weeks later...

La Zuck whines about privacy on FB:

th_zuck.jpg

Randi Zuckerberg loses control on Facebook (and Twitter)

CNET Dec 26, 2012

The Facebook CEO's sister is peeved that a photo she thought she'd posted privately is exposed publicly. It's quite a photo.

== ==

As someone posted:

anna.png

• 3 weeks later...

Bigger than Facebook? Maybe not - Not yet, anyway.

Better than Facebook?

Maybe, yes.

They have the potential to generate more income per User.

What is it?

StarClub - from the guy who developed i-Tunes*:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=17313

*actually: MCY that was renamed "i-Tunes" after Apple bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook is malware, people suddenly realize

Computerworld (blog) 21 minutes ago

Last night, when users tried to load many major madia outlets, Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) took over and spat out: 'An error occurred. Please try again later.' The company is downplaying it as an 'issue' but others see it as a huge wake-up call.

In IT Blogwatch, bloggers just say 'no' to Facebook Connect.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Face Book Over?

Recently, Facebook made a stunning disclosure in its 10k annual report: teens might be finished with the social network altogether. We believe, the reports authors noted glumly, that some of our users, particularly our younger users, are aware of and actively engaging with other products and services similar to, or a substitute for, Facebook. A new study released Tuesday suggests the companys problems go beyond the waning interest of its youngest demographic.

Read More

What took them so long?

• 1 month later...

BE HERE NOW, or distracted people with an attention deficit

Which do you want to be ??

I reckon this advert depicts reasonably accurately the sort of distracted children

that use Facebook all the time - Would you (knowingly) hire one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ArFy91n1FR0

Here's a video which reminds me of a great book by Guru Ram Dass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGo09k3poc

"Each of us contains a being who (uses Facebook.)

And another one that doesn't (use Facebook.)

Identify with your soul."

-uck Zuck and his dangerous toy... that takes us away from Here-and-Now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More signs of imminent doom for ‘Facebook phone’: U.K. launch canceled

By: malterwitty

BGR exclusively reported last week that HTC’s First, also known as the “Facebook phone,” will soon be discontinued at AT&T. Sales during the phone’s first month of availability totaled less than 15,000 units according to our source, and AT&T has given up hope that things might turn around. According to a new report, AT&T isn’t alone.

Mobile News on Thursday reported that the HTC First’s launch has been canceled in the United Kingdom.

FB / Facebook ... update

92077818.gif

Buying time near here somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Treason to use Facebook ?

FB closed at: $23.73, not worried

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i0X_ikXpkt0

Russian is considering making the use of GMail, Facebook, and other American based products as high treason

• 4 months later...

Archived