INTERVIEWS by Dominic Frisby

Today, silver is about 20 GBP per oz (minus the 20%tax) So 1000oz is about 20k. 10,000oz of silver, on the other hand, is about 200,000.

When Dom wrote the article above silver was about half what it is today (post 2008/9 crash), so I understand those figures. I just dont understand what he said to Ned Naylor Leyland in 2011:

'''did you know that in 1980, when silver went to 50 USD per oz, you could buy the average UK house for less than 10,000oz of silver...I think it was even closer to 5000oz at one stage''.

I also don't know why Ned didn't pick him up on that because the interview (he) was pretty sharp.

As I said maybe I am missing something stupid?

Either way it is a good time for a follow up on the silver to house price story. Ditto gold to house prices. Silver and gold have come off a fair bit and it may give Dom the opportunity to give his hecklers a bit of slack. Mars bars and all that...whilst holding onto his oz's and waiting for the tables to turn again. (or utterly collapse).

Thanks Jake - all comments noted. I'll do something on that story soon.

Meanwhile here's another interview - with an anti-mining environmentalist

[media]http://media40.podbean.com/pb/c0f36d937e29147a709cea27cba3e177/5142179b/data2/blogs1/2516/uploads/2013-03-12-GMY-DF-E-105.mp3[/media]:

Mining In The Colombian Amazon

367-0d847767.jpgDominic Frisby talks to Martín Von Hildebrand, General Director of Gaia Amazonas, about mining in the Colombian Amazon. They discuss illegal mining and its consequences, the lack of clarity from the Colombian government on mining and the dilemma of modernisation and its effects on the cultural integrity of indigenous people.

Martin Von Hildebrand is the director of Fundación Gaia Amazonas, which he set up in 1990 to work with the indigenous people of the Amazon areas in Colombia, to help them secure their territorial rights and protect the forest. He first visited the Amazonian Indians in the 1970s and has ever since been an activist for indigenous rights, cultural and ecological diversity , working in both government and non-government organizations. In 1986 he became Head of Indigenous Affairs under the government of Virgilio Barco. He has doctorate in ethnology from the Sorbonne in Paris and has won many awards including the Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship.

This podcast was recorded on 12 March 2013. It can also be heard at Goldmoney - the best way to buy gold and silver.

Thanks Jake - all comments noted. I'll do something on that story soon.

Thanks CC. Any chance of bringing Nick Laird back for another podcast? Be very nice to get his feelings on whether we are any nearer to the end of the longwave bottom or it having been postponed a little longer still...or we totally missed it when gold was 1900USD.

Another one for you ...

John Kay on Obliquity, banking and money

http://media57.podbean.com/pb/5cb27b8207477455a58ed647fe641a00/51435e78/data2/blogs1/2516/uploads/2013-03-14-GMY-DF-E-106.mp3

John_Kay_landscape.jpg

Dominic Frisby talks to John Kay, one of Britain’s most respected economists and author of Obliquity - Why our goals are best achieved indirectly.

As well as discussing the philosophy behind the book, in the second half of the programme they discuss banking regulation and systems of money. Full of thought-provoking ideas, the final discussion surrounding the financial system should give all listeners plenty of food for thought.

John Kay's career has spanned academic work and think tanks, business schools, company directorships, consultancies and investment companies. He is a visiting Professor of Economics at the London School of Economics, a Fellow of St John’s College, Oxford, the British Academy and the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He is a director of several public companies and contributes a weekly column to the Financial Times.

Click here to buy Obliquity.

This podcast was recorded on 14 March 2013. It can also be heard at Goldmoney - the best way to buy gold and silver.

A few flashes of truth in an otherwise blinkered interview and defender of the system we have. Was Mr Kay somewhat inebriated in this interview or simply uneducated on the questions you proffered? I don't like the dismissive approach but a perusal of the career to date clears up that query.

Shan't be buying the book. Enough obliquity round my way as it is...

Main Entry: oblique

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: slanting; at an angle

Synonyms: angledaskanceaskewaslantasymmetricalawrybentcater-corneredcrookeddiagonaldistorteddiverginginclinedincliningleaningon the biaspitchedpitchingsidewaysskewslantedslopedslopingstrainedtiltedtiltingtippedtippingturnedtwisted

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great interview - the information is literally "gold"!

I am also impressed with the Dr being able to quote the global demand for palladium. I couldn't find anything current, Wiki said 300 tonnes in 2006 which is about 8m Troy ounces!

If we believe the gold bull market isn't dead - then we will be bamboozled by the upside in gold as we have been on this downside. $10,000.... maybe next year Rodders!

A Good interview from Dr John W.:

MP3 :

But some DID get it right long ago (not me, sadly.)

Bruno, from the HK Hedge Fund said:

"It will go to $1200, and then bounce back quickly, when it was at $1600."

GLD / Gold - etf for Gold ... update

sbp.gif

I was right about Gold in some small ways:

+ Saying the 100wk (480d) MA would be important, if broken, (I thought it would hold)

+ Saying that Fibonacci support (at $1186) could be a bottom, just as we were hitting it

But even with that, I bought a nice chunk of Gold at $1200*, but not as much as I should have.

As JW: "Some humility is a good thing", and many will have learned that from this move.

===

*Please see my Diary for the day of the Low in late June :

Highlighting an image and a comment ... / End of June's DrB's Diary

LET'S HOPE he has not forgotten how to fly upwards,

TOWARDS THE SUN...

xxeo.jpg

Sinclair's angel needs to get re-oriented

FIBO MAGIC ?

fibonacci-water.jpg

There are a number of important Fibo relationships which may be kicking in here:

+ GDX has bounced off a 50% level. The most recent high was $55 back in Oct.2012 (?) and this week, it has bounced off $22.50, which is half that. Since it hit that level, gold stocks have stabilised, and drift a bit higher as Gold drifted lower.

+ Gold's Sept. 2011 high was $1921, if you take a fibonacci 61.8% of that you get: $1921 x 61.8% = $1,187

This could be (approx.) where this drop stops.

+ Another nearby support level might be determined by the following calculation. Starting with the Jan. 1980 high, and multiplying it by a fibonacci 1.3812.

Here we go: $850 x 1.3812 = $1,174

+ The mid-point of these two Fibonacci numbers is $1,180.5,

and the low in Asia Trading today was $1,182 per oz.

Fingers crossed, since I bought an "interesting" amount of Gold today.

I've had a look at the Palladium chart, I 've not looked at it in over 2 years. It did me well through 2009 - the first few posts on ADVFN Palladium thread are still there, but it is a very quiet thread - http://uk.advfn.com/...p3?id=14268541. I never got into the physical, as the buy/sell spread was big at a well known London dealer. And there was the VAT too.

If it can close above $800, then I will be looking closely at it again and be a buyer. It needs to consolidate for a bit longer I think - right now it is at $685/Toz.

• 2 months later...

Thanks - although that left a rather bitter taste with me.

Moving on ... we have a new interview with Brian Whitmer, editor of Elliott Wave International's European Financial Forecast. Brian is bearish on stocks, bullish on cash. Download here.

[media]http://media69.podbean.com/pb/ad2cacd04e2ca1e37ac4c6f857fb8d09/52812cdd/data1/blogs1/2516/uploads/whitmer.mp3[/media]

brian-whitmer.jpg

I have started it, and I am enjoying the book

+ It has some serious points to make, and

+ It tells the story well, in an interesting way

I recommend people get hold of a copy, an original copy

It is well worth listening to the prologue.

---

I was in a Tesco Extra on the outskirts of Southampton the other day (Basically the biggest supermarket in town), which I hadn't visited in over ten years. I am used to shopping for my small set of basics in a smaller Tesco nearby or Asda, or sometimes Lidl.

I felt in awe about the size of the place of the Tesco Extra - it was a mecca of choice. I was saying to Mrs Notanewmember - "We live in the land of plenty". The logistical process of maintaining that place must be rocket science. Not only they kept every herb and spice, there would be 3-4 different brands of each herb and spice. There would be the basic economy brands, the medium class brands, and premium brands, and brands in between. The choice of toilet rolls was bewildering - there was probably over 20. Vitamin E added toilet rolls, scented, coloured, quilted etc.

In contrast if you visit a Lidl, which is winning market share, hand over fist (a sign that the middle class are poorer and are visiting Lidl). They are cheaper, and the business is leaner and no nonsense. But they only keep the bare basics. There are only about 3 choices of toilet roll. Someone once said, Lidl is what the UK would be like if Communism won. Tesco Extra was just like the other end - the extremes of capitalism and free choice.

I strongly recommend visiting a Tesco Extra, and then a Lidl to get a grasp of both polar opposites whilst we can! Government intervention has pulled this country into two markedly. We are in a period of great change, like Dominic mentions, the NHS, Job security, etc. We are hearing that students in the UK are turning to prostitution to pay for their tuition fees. My tuition fees cost £1000 per year ten years ago. Now it would cost £9000 per year. Learn from history and others around the world, to sail your small boat through the rough seas.

Hurrah! My book arrived.

---

I think if we don't see change in the "money", it is wise to look at countries around the world and see how one could have prospered (if you don't want to emigrate) if one chose to remain in that country after a great change. For example in Cuba, you could have bought rental properties to earn dollars - although one needs to look closely in how to avoid expropriation. Hard assets look to be safe performers too - I guess people still need to eat, and use raw materials.

• 2 months later...

Gold price manipulation?

http://commoditywatch.podbean.com/2014/02/05/dimitri-speck-gold-price-manipulation-and-the-gold-cartel/

Dimitri Speck Gold Price Manipulation And The Gold Cartel

http://media67.podbean.com/pb/36c4fd934146e79114e9f006e278a90a/52f23fd2/data1/blogs1/2516/uploads/speck.mp3

In today's programme I talk to Dimitri Speck about gold price manipulation and his new book The Gold Cartel: Government Intervention In Gold, the Mega-Bubble in Paper, and What This Means For Your Future.

Dimitri-Speck.jpg
Dimitri Speck is a commodity analyst and chief developer of trading strategies for asset manager Staedel Hanseatic, where he is responsible for the Stay-C commodity fund.
Visit Dimitri's website, Seasonal Charts.
9781137286420.jpg

Gold price manipulation?

Well yes, it has to be manipulated. Can you imagine the consequences of NOT manipulating? Just as LIBOR had to be manipulated. Once TPTB start interfering with destroying markets, they simply can not stop. Of course, QE is itself 'market' (interest rate) manipulation.

Markets are dead for the time being.

Archived