Newbie Stock trading - to gain Mastery

Newbie Stock trading - to gain Mastery

/ I put on display here, some of the Tools I use, using Real time investing ideas - warts & all /

I am going to work with some New stock traders, who (eventually) want to gain mastery of stock trading.

We will start small, and with a specific stock focus - & maintain some regular communication via a Viber chat, to be set up.

business-team-brainstorming-in-office-ma

In developing this program, I have a plan for how I will teach trading & investing... based on some ideas about training programs from a friend

who has trained many new people in a business he runs.

From conversations about how he trains people, I learned his Rules, which I will call MB's Training Rules.  - Summarized as follows:

MB’s method (of teaching a useful skill) include these phases:  
The TRAINEE must agree to:
1. Follow instructions,  starting with small projects
2. Monitor results & quality (Asking relevant questions along the way)
3. Makes notes on what is being learned
4. Take responsibility for the quality & results of his/her projects
5. Gain confidence by accepting praise & criticism (Gains & Losses)
6. Repeat with larger & larger projects, until full mastery is gained.
====

(I think these Rules can be applied to stock trading as with any other useful skill to be mastered.)

MONITORING-a-Stock Project / Comment & Questions are needed from Trainees

Initially, we will start with MONITORING a stock of my choosing - It may be trading outside the PH.

And I will ask (the main, active) participants to Make Notes &/or Ask questions as the stock trading progresses.

There will be some guidelines about the minimum number of comments & questions that I expect each week.

And the project on specific stock may end, if/ when :

+ The stock price falls below the "Stop Loss level" (c.f. C$1.50 on WILD)

+ If the active participant(s) want to end the project, by "taking profits"

+ If the project leader (me!) wants to take profits, or even end the project in a loss

If the participants fail to post the minimum number of comments or questions on the viber chat, the Leader can end the arrangement at any time thereafter

===

Here is the Initial stock I have chosen...

CA:WILD.t / WildBrain Ltd. (TSE) ... 5yr: 2yr-L: 1yr: 6mo: 10d / MONITORING Starts at: C$1.60
EGjT0p7.gif

NEWS & Price on WILD.t: click here

REASONS I chose this stock, WILD / Wildbrain is because...

My active trainee-participants may be able to assist me in assessing Wildbrain's characters and its entertainment content, which is not in my own wheelhouse.

Wildbrain can be thought of as "a children's Disney," but with less than 1/1000th of Disney's market cap.

"Owns the world’s largest independent library of children’s content, at 13,000 half-hours." > Aug. 29, 2019 News Report, when new CEO was announced

WILD can be thought of as a turn-around situation. It has brought in new management who have invested about C$30Million of their own money. (see below)

Here's WILD with a C$274m MktCap (@$1.60) against DIS with US$253 Billion (@$140).

Prices over the last 5 years... update : reverse / C$1.60 (US$1.22) vs. $140 : 88X, 115X

PkL6Xj5.gif

Wikipedia : WildBrain Studios is a Vancouver-based studio and a subsidiary of WildBrain which produces animated and live-action programming.

WildBrain: Home Page / WILD have over 145 million subscribers on Youtube

WildBrain is the world's leading independent kids' content company, owner of Teletubbies, Degrassi, Caillou, Yo Gabba Gabba!, Inspector Gadget and more.

At WildBrain we make great content for kids and families. With approximately 13,000 half-hours of filmed entertainment in our library – one of the world’s most extensive – we are home to such brands as Peanuts, Teletubbies, Strawberry Shortcake, Caillou, Inspector Gadget and Degrassi. Our shows are seen in more than 150 countries on over 500 telecasters and streaming platforms. Our AVOD business – WildBrain Spark offers one of the largest networks of kids’ channels on YouTube, with over 145 million subscribers. We also license consumer products and location-based entertainment in every major territory for our own properties as well for our clients and content partners. Our television group owns and operates four family entertainment channels that are among the most-viewed in Canada.

WildBrain is headquartered in Canada with offices worldwide and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: WILD).

Studios · ‎WildBrain Spark · ‎Investors

SNOOPY & Peanuts (41% stake, worth maybe $200M+, over 2/3rds of WILD's Mkt.Cap value)

In May 2017, Wildbrain announced that it would acquire Iconix's entertainment brands, including the 80% stake of Peanuts Worldwide and full rights to the Strawberry Shortcake brand, for $345 million.WILD officially took control of the properties on June 30, 2017. On May 13, 2018, WILD announced it had reached a strategic agreement for Sony Music Entertainment Japan to acquire 49% of its 80% stake in Peanuts Worldwide for $185 million, with WILD holding a 41% stake and SMEJ owning 39%. (SMEJ's consumer products division has been a licensing agent for the Peanuts brand since 2010.) / Source

Inspector Gadget: Magic Gadget (Full Episode)

1,817,202 views / Oct 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZF6m66Z4c

LARVA - HUMAN HAND | Videos For Kids | Larva 2018

2,778,815 views / Mar 12, 2018

WILD's LEADERSHIP

Eric-Ellenbogen-black.jpg

Eric Ellenbogen, Chief Executive Officer and Vice Chair of WildBrain, has spent more than 30 years running entertainment businesses, including holding senior management roles as President of Broadway Video Entertainment (the TV and film production and distribution company founded by Lorne Michaels); President of Golden Books Family Entertainment; and President and CEO of Marvel Enterprises before its acquisition by Disney. With the backing of private equity, he co-founded Classic Media in 2000, which became one of the largest private owners of branded kids’ and family entertainment and was acquired by DreamWorks Animation (DWA) in 2012. At DWA, Mr. Ellenbogen became Co-Head of DreamWorks Classics and DreamWorks International Television, and was largely responsible for the company’s entry into the television business. Following DWA’s sale to NBCUniversal, Ellenbogen became Co-President of Classic Media, which was restarted as a business unit of NBCUniversal. Mr. Ellenbogen was a board director of Golden Books and Marvel, then both public companies, and is a Trustee of the Public Theater in New York City among other civic involvements. He is a graduate of Harvard College and holds an MBA from UCLA.

Roz-Nowicki-EVP-Peanuts-Worldwide-croppe

Roz Nowicki, Executive Vice President, Peanuts Worldwide, has a proven track record in global marketing, brand licensing, product development, and retail experience in the entertainment space. She oversees the robust global consumer products program for the Peanuts brand, and manages WildBrain’s Franchise Brands portfolio, including Strawberry ShortcakeMega Man: Fully Charged and Rev & Roll. Roz was previously the EVP of Global Sales and Retail at 20th Century Fox, where she led the consumer products strategy for TV properties such as The Simpsons and Family Guy, and films including Avatar and Ice Age. She also was EVP of Consumer Products at 4Kids Entertainment, working on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Cabbage Patch Kids, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, and worked at both Universal Studios and The Walt Disney Company in Consumer Products.

> MORE: https://www.wildbrain.com/investors/management/

"new management (along with other insiders) ... have invested about C$30Million of their own money."

In total, 35,928,144 common and variable voting shares (“Shares”) were issued under the Rights Offering to raise $60.0 million in gross proceeds. Insiders purchased over 53% of the total number of Shares issued.

/ 2 /

....announced the successful completion today of its previously announced rights offering (the “Rights Offering”), which expired at 5:00 p.m. (Toronto time) on November 15, 2019. WildBrain issued the full allotment of 35,928,144 voting shares of the Company (“Voting Shares”) at a price of $1.67 per Voting Share for gross proceeds of $60.0 million. The Rights Offering was oversubscribed...

WildBrain will use $50.0 million of the proceeds of the Rights Offering to reduce its term loan, and the remaining $10.0 million, less offering expenses, for general working capital purposes. After this debt repayment, the Company’s net leverage ratio1 as at September 30, 2019 would be reduced from 5.66x to approximately 5.14x on a pro forma basis.

In addition, the previously announced amendment to the Company’s term loan agreement to set the net leverage covenant1 at 6.75x with no step downs for the remainder of the loan term is expected to take effect on November 26, 2019 upon this repayment.

> source:

I made this Chart a few days ago, identifying a possible support level at about $1.44-1.45.

WILD.t : 6mo: 10d / MONITORING Started at: C$1.60 / Last $1.49

ED9QyTe.jpg

WILD Update. Friday close was C$1.49, up 0.03, +2.05%
Meantime, the General index, SPX, was down - 1.77%
That is an encouraging trend, showing impressive relative strength, and a bounce of likely key support.
It seems to have bounced off the support I Identified at $1.44-45

WILD-etc... 10d/ Close: $1.49 +0.03, Open: $1.51, High: $1.51, Low: $1.44 / Vol. 103,832

ie7xUPV.gif

IMPORTANT SUPPORT HELD? 

WILD may be forming an important bottom at C$1.44-1.50

It looks like the support we identified at C$1.44-1.45 may have held.

And WILD (& the other stocks on this chart: DHX. VHI) may be on the way up once again)

A strong move up on Thu & Friday would help confirm that, and so would GOOD EARNINGS on Feb.13th

WILD-etc ... 10d / Last: $1.51 +0.05, +3.4%, vol. 41.9k

JQAwPvH.gif

BTW, I own the other stocks above too ( DHX, VHI, MIMI), and may comment on them here as well/

3 / 4 had. roughly similar charts to WILD.t

I have not listened to this yet - Will comment after I do,

How to Make Millions In the Next Market Crash >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGh_zhbuJCA

On 2/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, drbubb said:

IMPORTANT SUPPORT HELD? 

BTW, I own the other stocks above too ( DHX, VHI, MIMI), and may comment on them here as well/

3 / 4 had. roughly similar charts to WILD.t

Here are all 4 stocks, which I am monitoring together ... 12-mo / Wild: 1.48 -0.03, VHI: 1.69, -0.06, MIMI: 0.35, -0.01

yJWYCLs.gif

Here's DHX alone / DHI Group ($3.06 +0.12, +4.08%) ... update - DHX released some Good Earnings News yesterday

- I hope we will see another positive reaction with WILD next week

gEsGSgI.gif

=== NEWS

Date ET Symbol Type Headline
2020-02-06 09:00 U:DHX News The Dice Tech Job Report: Remarkable demand for data-oriented technologists; smaller tech hubs amassing top tech talent
2020-02-05 16:15 U:DHX News DHI Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
2020-01-29 09:00 U:DHX News The Dice 2020 Tech Salary Report: Satisfied technologists primed to innovate if employers shift to more holistic offerings
2020-01-23 16:15 U:DHX News DHI Group, Inc. to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results on February 5th, 2020

Fourth Quarter 2019 Financial Results

• Total revenues1 were $37.7 million, up 1% on a sequential basis and down 1% year over year.
  • Dice1 revenues were $23.3 million, up 1% on a sequential basis and down 3% year over year.
  • eFinancialCareers revenues were $7.8 million, down 1% on a sequential basis and down 6% year over year.
  • ClearanceJobs revenues were $6.6 million, up 5% on a sequential basis and up 16% year over year.
  • Excluding the impact of foreign exchange, total revenues were up 1% on a sequential basis and down 1% year over year while eFinancialCareers was down 4% on a sequential basis and down 6% year over year.
  • Net income was $3.5 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, compared to net income of $2.9 million, or $0.06 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.
  • Cash flow from operations was $3.9 million compared to $6.2 million in the year-ago quarter.
  • Adjusted EBITDA2 was $8.6 million, and Adjusted EBITDA margin2 was 23% compared to $8.3 million and 22% in the year-ago quarter.

===

A BIG DAY for WILD-brain, today maybe? 

After what I call, a "Key Mid-channel bounce" (see explanation, below.)

This could be an ideal inflection point. Because Wildbrain is scheduled to release the Last Quarter's earnings today.

If the Earnings Report is better than expected, this could have a nice positive impact on the stock.

Prior earnings gave a hint of a possible emerging turnaround, and insiders invested Millions, in the recent share placement

So I am optimistic, though recent price action has been weak

WILD ... 1yr: 6mo: 10d/ Last: $1.53 + $0.04, Open: $1.49, High: $1.55, Low: $1.44. vol. 86,900

p2iYYyx.gif

===

The Set-up may be right for an important Low to be in place. WILD's stock could be set for a new longterm uptrend.

D_LxLTBU4AAnaqs.jpg

WILD is Not a Falling knife. That risk is avoided, so long as the Year's Low near $1.35-1.40 holds

Here's why:

+ Chart set-up: See the Down trending channel above, which I have identified with the labels: Upper & Lower.

I usually also draw a middle Line, a Mid-point, which I have identified with the "MId" label above.

Old & useful advice is: "Do not catch a falling knife (see above).... Wait for the stock price to Bounce" (off a support level.)

We have seen a BOUNCE. What we often see in a bottom formation is... First, a Low. like the Low <$1.40 in August.

Then, a bounce to the Top of the channel. or above, like the $2.22 in Oct.  Then, a final retest of the Low, but where

that retest happened near the old low, & at the mid-point of the channel. 

WILD is now a textbox example of the ideal Bottoming Set-up pattern.

+ Fundamentals: WILD has been losing money in recent quarters, but this may be set for a turnaround

+ Committed New Management: New management came and, and raised money, committing about C$30M of their own

funds, and this came at a higher price (C$1.67) than the current one (C$1.53.)

A FORESHADOWING - of a future move up? (in WILD, "the children's Disney")

(Cross-market ratios can sometimes predict stock price moves, & extremes)

Their charts have looked a bit like mirror images, but this may change if WILD is bottoming

Here's an update of the WILD.t / DIS ratio - First, the two stocks : All: 5yr: 2yr: 1yr

08M6odG.gif

Ratio: WILD.t (C$1.53) / DIS ($141.85) = R-1.08%, up 8% from Low at/near 1.00%

xtKhTw8.png

WILD.t to DIS Ratio - has fallen from over 10%

Timing—: - Wild.t : - - DIS -- : Ratio
YE’ 2014: C$9.90 : $  94.19: 10.5%
YE’ 2015: C$8.48 : $108.08: 7.85%
YE’ 2016: C$7.06 : $104.22: 6.77%
YE’ 2017: C$4.50 : $107.51: 4.19%
YE’ 2018: C$2.24 : $109.65: 2.04%
YE’ 2019: C$1.57 : $144.63: 1.09%
02.12.20: C$1.53 : $142.00: 1.08%

WILD's Earnings Report has come out - I added Q2 data here

My quick assessment: "Good, but not spectacular, could help the stock price."

Q2.'20 results will be discussed in a podcast today.

If there are positive comments on future from Mgmt., that may help more than the Q2 Result, a small Loss.

Right now, I foresee a continuation of the improving trend, but not yet a truly impressive jump in price.

My guess is... this might help the stock price somewhat. (in edit: the detail led to different conclusion)

WILD—: Q1.’19 : Q2.’19 : . . ./ Q1.’20: Q2.’20:
Revs. - : 104.0 :   117.0 : . . ./  112.3 : 122.1 : + 4%
WB.spk : $16.2 :  00.00 : . . ./ $22.1 : $00.0 :+??
CF ops : (10.0) :  $ 11.6 : . . ./ $18.7 : $46.6 :
FreeCsh ($5.5) :  $12.9 : . . ./  $07.6 : $13.3 :
Ebitda- :
Eb.,adj. : $17.3 : $22.0 : . . ./  $19.6 : $25.6 :
NetLoss: ($2.4): (17.1) : . . ./ (16.0)* ($2.3):
Lever.-- :   X.Xx :  X.Xx  :  . . ./ 5.66x :  5.09x :
*Loss- Q1’20, after reorg cost
======

NEWS OUT !

Date ET Symbol Price Type Headline
2020-02-13 07:19 C:WILD 1.53 SEDAR Interim Financial Statements SEDAR Interim Financial Statements
2020-02-13 07:19 C:WILD 1.53 SEDAR MD & A SEDAR MD & A
2020-02-13 07:00 C:WILD 1.53 News Release WildBrain Reports Results For Q2 2020

===

Replay will be available after the call on +1 (855) 859-2056 toll free, under passcode 5462579, until 11:59 p.m. ET, February 20, 2020.

The audio and transcript will also be archived on the Company’s website approximately two days after the event.

Whoops! - YouTube's tweak will hit the WiidBrain Spark Business

Part of this sounds encouraging, but retooling around Youtube's new policy may reduce income significantly below what it might have been

(from Management's discussion):

"Our improving financial position allows us to execute on our plans, focusing on creative development, our AVOD business and IP and brands, all of which will contribute to long-term growth."

In January 2020, YouTube introduced new rules and policies regarding targeted advertising on kids' content.  Absent WildBrain's own initiatives in direct advertising sales and any mitigating actions by YouTube, we expect there would be a negative impact on revenue at WildBrain Spark in the back half of Fiscal 2020.  Initially, in the first few weeks following the change, WildBrain Spark experienced a revenue decline of approximately 40%, compared with the same period last year.

Ellenbogen added, "We're taking actions to address the changes made by YouTube and continue to see significant value in our large and growing user base. We believe these changes will result in a more positive and curated environment for kids, and ultimately, improved monetization that will reward quality content.  We're ideally positioned to benefit from this move over the long term."

> source: https://www.stockwatch.com/News/Item?bid=Z-C%3aWILD-2865267&amp;symbol=WILD&amp;region=C

VIEWS were rising fast, but they are getting harder to monetize:

Grow Brands and Build Awareness on WildBrain Spark

• WildBrain Spark's online audience up by 36% to over 9.9 billion views in the quarter vs a year ago. 

This amounted to more than 52.0 billion minutes of videos watched, up 36% from Q2 2019.

WILL LOOK For Another stock, beyond WILD. (The shares may be "dead money" for a while.)

I liked the set-up (Charts, & Insider buying) for Wildbrain when I started this thread.

But the change in the Youtube algorhithm, are likely to hit Wildbrain-Spark revenues & earnings pretty hard for 1-2 Qtrs maybe.

WILD.TO stock is likely to be dead money for a while.

Right now, I own WILD 5.875% Convertible debentures (see chart) with a 7.14% running yield. (5.875%/82)

1Ki5fqX.png

Plus, a modest number of shares. (The debentures benefited from the Debt repayment thru the $50M stock placement.)

My plan was, to jump into the Stock much bigger, if the earnings were good and the stock started to accelerate.

On Friday, WILD slid below support at $1.44-45, down to $1.42*. so I do not see that happening for several months (at least.)

I will look for other stocks to follow here.

=====

*Fortunately, there should also be some strong support at $1.40

A good chart provides NO GUARANTEE of a profit.

(comments from a viber chat)

+ Financial Charts are mere graphical representation of human participation. The more crowd the more crowd behavior is reflected. Chart shows cyclic pattern. As mentioned all natural systems have cycles and limits.

+ Agreed.  And a "good" chart set-up does not guarantee a profit/  If fundamental news is not positive, then a good set-up may be wasted, until the fundamentals improve.

=====

NOTE: I am tempted to choose a Philippines mining stock as a new stock TIP here.

But there are too many fundamental things in the PH, that might "disrupt" a good stock chart.

This PSEI chart shows why I am still Bearish on PH stocks

PSEI ... 4yr: 2yr: 1yr: 6mo: 10d / Last:

390LnGQ.gif

7000-7200 is  a Key support level, which may soon be broken

I am watching how the PSEI moves in relation to the downwards channel and the moving averages...

1. If PSEI stays within the lower half of the downwards channel. As the test at 7000-7200 comes. and there is no strong bounce to the upper half of the channel.  The there is an excellent chance the key support will be broken for a longer journey to the downside, below 7000

2. Confirmation that an important (& maybe long lasting drop is underway) would be when the 76d MA (blue line) breaks the 987d MA (orange line), and futher confirmed when the 252d (red line) breaks the long term 987d MA

HOW I USE MOVING AVERAGES - from a viber chat

(Can anyone tell me what those periods in the PSEI chart above represent?  I will tell you, if interested.)

yes pls explain the specific MA numbers

Some of them are Fibonacci numbers, you know: 3, 5, 8, 13, (21d), 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, (987d)...

I find they all have value. But 21d = 1 month and 987 = 3.9/4yrs are of key importance in short term and long term trends

76d > there are various ways of deriving this number mathematically, but I found over decades it JUST WORKS well, it is 3.6 months, ie between 3 & 4 months

252d = ONE YEAR >  provides key support or resistance to see if a long term trend is changing / PSEI- 4yr. chart :

390LnGQ.gif

how about for Bulls... Do they work in bull markets too?  Can you use them to trade counter-trend bounces?

Yes. I will sometimes buy a market which looks bearish, when it is oversold,  But you must be very nimble in your entries and exits to make money (when trading a counter-trend bounce

These MAs also work in a Bull market, 

Here's Gran Columbia, GCM.t 4-yrs-chart / Last: C$6.17 + 0.35, +6.01%

The chart shows 21d, 76d, & 252d MA (adding the 987d MA stretches the chart too much.)

QuCjaVG.gif

Since it broke above C$1.70 in Sep. 2017, GCM has been in a strong uptrend. 

Confirmed bu how the blue (76) MA was mostly in an uptrend, and when it dipped, the blue stayed above the red (252) MA

There are DECADES of testing I have used to find, and use these tools well.  Mostly my own work. and not yet captured in a book or Technical anaylsis writings

MEG / Megaworld ... 4-yr / Last: Php3.96

vc4yGTb.gif

MEG we spoke about here, and One member asked about buying near P4.  I told him he would probably do okay, but that he should be nimble and look to sell around 4.50.  The rally did not last long. haha.  so would have required ultra-nibbleness, since it peaked out between 4.40 and 4.50, reversing the same day.

How do you read this sir? I have Meg too

simple comment: look at that 76d Ma (blue) it is still in a clear & strong downtrend.  Not good!

So Blue MA must cross the longterm Red MA?

I will look at 76d vs 252d as my Gold or Death Cross equivalent.  Other periods too

MA's must be adjusted ... 252days = 52weeks.  Something too simple is less useful. Like just 200 periods on both Daily & Weekly charts.

People who use only 50 x 200 period MA's "dont get it" imho. The MA's are different for Daily and Weekly charts

DOUBLE DEATH CROSS coming on PSEI?

In the case of PSEI, blue is now crossing orange (987) and red will cross orange within several weeks probably. 

Might that case, with two lines crossing a longer term MA be called Double Death?? haha

Lines moving Up or DOWN together is MORE powerful

Notice on the MEG chart. that yellow (21) crossing blue (76) cna give you a quicker signal. ie sooner

After a cross, if both lines are point up, or both are pointed down together you can get some very powerful moves UP or DOWN

• 2 months later...

After a big (non-cash) Loss, WILD begins a bounceback

WILD stock ... update / Last: C$1.26, +$0.15, 13.5% / Wild.DB: $65-70. 12mo.Range: $60-84

Mx6sGGB.png

==

Wildbrain loses $221.7-million in Q3 fiscal 2020

2020-05-13

Mr. Eric Ellenbogen reports

WILDBRAIN REPORTS RESULTS FOR Q3 2020 AND ANNOUNCES $25 MILLION FINANCING FOR GROWTH INITIATIVES

Wildbrain Ltd. has released its fiscal 2020 third quarter and nine-month (year-to-date 2020) results for the periods ended March 31, 2020.

"With the $25 million financing announced today, we're doubling down on our integrated IP strategy," said Eric Ellenbogen, CEO of Wildbrain. "To be clear, this is exclusively growth capital to fund strategic, accretive transactions across the Company, with a special focus on our AVOD business, Wildbrain Spark. This is not working capital for our business; we've taken measures to contain costs and to address working capital and cash flow. The Wildbrain Spark platform is not only a rich source of emerging IP and promotion for both our proprietary and partner content, but also a beneficiary of advertising dollars migrating from linear to non-linear TV. In the media business, advertising dollars follow eyeballs, and at nearly four billion monthly views, Wildbrain Spark has one of the largest and most engaged global audiences in the kids and family space. We remain steadfast in our belief that Wildbrain Spark represents a significant monetization opportunity."

. . . Ames continued: "In Q3, we took a non-cash goodwill impairment charge of $184.5 million in light of the potential impacts of global economic uncertainties and the effects of changes made by YouTube related to targeted advertising. This charge does not affect our operations, cash flows, or our ability to meet debt obligations."

> https://www.stockwatch.com/News/Item?bid=Z-C%3aWILD-2905643&amp;symbol=WILD&amp;region=C

/ earlier:

WILDBRAIN ANNOUNCES PRELIMINARY RESULTS FOR Q3 2020 AND PROVIDES COVID-19 RESPONSE UPDATE

Wildbrain Ltd. has released preliminary financial results for its fiscal 2020 third quarter ended March 31, 2020, and has provided a business update and actions taken in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

... Mr. Ellenbogen continued: "During this period of stay at home, our shows are experiencing unprecedented levels of viewership, providing hours of comfort, education and entertainment to our audiences. We are pleased to be an integral part of so many families' solution to managing through this difficult time. Producing high-quality kids and family entertainment is the core of what we do at Wildbrain, and we remain committed to and energized by this mission."

Premium content production continues:

• The company was able to expeditiously transition its animation studio of approximately 700 team members to work-at-home solutions. The studio is currently operating at nearly 95-per-cent productivity and is expected to deliver shows on budget and with only minimal delays.
  • The company's current production slate remains healthy, with a robust pipeline. Production is in progress on new Wildbrain proprietary content, as well as content for partners such as Lego, DreamWorks, Netflix, Mattel and Apple TV.
  • The company has currently experienced no disruption in its live-action projects, currently scheduled to start in late summer.
  • Rising demand across all platforms for kids and family content has opened up new market opportunities. The company expects to increase its pipeline in the coming quarters.

Content distribution across all media platforms:

• The company's Canadian television channel business continues to deliver consistent cash flow with subscriber fees comprising approximately 90 per cent of segment revenue. Family Channel is seeing strong viewership in April to date, with ratings up more than 17 per cent across kids and family demos.
  • Revenue in the company's distribution business (excluding Wildbrain Spark) fluctuates quarter to quarter based on when deals are closed and the timing of content deliveries. The current environment is creating increased demand for the company's expansive library.
  • Wildbrain Spark continues to enjoy strong audience growth with views up 34 per cent and watch times up 69 per cent in the last 30 days versus the same period last year, averaging more than 3.5 billion views each month on the company's premium network. Consistent with a broad pullback in media advertising and YouTube data collection policies implemented in January, Wildbrain Spark has seen its revenue decline approximately 60 per cent in April to date, compared with the same period a year ago. The company is taking mitigating actions by reducing costs and reallocating resources to growth areas. Over the longer term, it believes it is in a favourable position to capitalize on the growing trends of viewership and advertising, moving on-line given its network scale, global reach and service offering of quality programming, analytics and custom content, to support advertisers and their brands.

Consumer products driven by Peanuts franchise:

• The company's first new original Peanuts series, Snoopy in Space, is currently streaming for free on Apple TV, extending the Peanuts brand to a new generation of kids and families.

> https://www.stockwatch.com/News/Item?bid=Z-C%3aWILD-2898296&amp;symbol=WILD&amp;region=C

• 1 month later...

WILD times in stock trading

WILD ... update /Last: 1.08

tvTELH2.gif

(following is from a viber chat):

There's a thread about WILD/ Wildbrain on my website.  I got interested over a year ago when I bought some Conv. Debs issued by the company. I call it, the Childrens Disney (think Peanuts, etc.) The earnings had been not so good, and they brought in new management. The Debs popped when the company did a rights issue, shoring up the balance sheet and I sold my Debs at a profit. (I bought back into the Debs again later.) I noticed that insiders had taken a big slice of the placement, so I started looking into the stock.  You will find some notes on my website.  I bought some shares around 1.50, expecting support there to hold.  My reasoning was, why were the insiders buying unless the earnings prospects look good?  So I bought, thinking a good earnings report would lift the shares higher. But when the earnings were released they were disappointing. The stock gradually slid  down to near 0.75.  I was sitting on a 50% loss. 

Fortunately, the company got some benefit from the lockdown. All those Children at home with little to do, mean that the online content of Wildbrain was in greater demand.  Word got out and the stock starting rising, and there was further help when an investment company made a sizable investment.  I got lucky.  I put in an order to sell my holdings at 1.52 (=breakeven.)  A few days later, the stock opened up with a big gap up, and my shares were sold on the opening at 1.90, a decent profit.  I bought back into WILD over the last few days at just under 1.10, thinking the stock might be ready for another move up, based on the charts - there must be a reason the insiders have been steadily buying it.  I reckon their childrens' cartoon brands, like Peanuts, Snoopy and Teletubbies might be worth more than the company's market cap.

Main Point: it amazes me how lucky I get when I consistently do my technical & fundamental research

• 1 month later...

Disney versus "Children's Disney"

DIS vs Wild ... 5yr12mo / Last :117.29 / C$1.00 = r-xx

LQoDrtz.gif

Disney shakes up streaming approach after losing nearly $5 billion due to pandemic MarketWatch

Company will release ‘Mulan’ for pay-per-view on Disney+ in areas where theaters are not open, and launch a new international steaming offering as other businesses flail because of COVID-19

Streaming was about the only thing working for Walt Disney Co. amid a pandemic that has all but paralyzed its theme parks, live productions and cruise line, so Disney is going to rely on that direct-to-consumers pipeline even more.

Disney DIS, +0.80% reported a depressing financial performance Tuesday that included a quarterly loss of nearly $5 billion due to COVID-19 and long-term depreciation of its European linear television channels. The only segment in the media empire to grow amid the pandemic included Disney+, the company’s streaming service that launched late last year and has already grown to more than 60 million subscribers.

After detailing those numbers, new Disney Chief Executive Bob Chapek outlined a plan Tuesday that will leverage Disney+ and attempt to replicate its success. Disney will slightly unclog the studio’s pandemic-paused movie pipeline by premiering its long-delayed “Mulan” live-action feature on Disney+ as a pay-per-view option for $30 on Sept. 4 and launch a new streaming service overseas. Disney will release the big-budget feature in theaters in countries where the facilities are open, and charge a similar price in other countries that are sheltered in place due to COVID-19.

“We see this as an opportunity to bring this incredible film to a broad audience currently unable to go to movie theaters, while also further enhancing the value and attractiveness of a Disney+ subscription,” Chapek said in a conference call.

Ready to follow Disney Higher?

WILD.t vs DIS ... update: DIS- 130.82 +2.5%  / WILD- C$1.18, Ratio: 110.9x

WdEjMHG.gif

Ratio: 110.9x = DIS- 130.82 +2.5%  / WILD- C$1.18

image.png

xx

WILD now has a chart with a good set-up.  Let's see if it can get some traction

Monday: $1.27 +$0.09

It is no longer a "falling knife, having made a nice Higher-Low bottom

WILD / Wildbrain ... 5yr: 2yr: YrL: 0.71 / YrH : 2.38

WemHmr0.gif

: 2yr: $1.27 +$0.09 ... A fast move up to $1.75-1.80 looks possible

AF53KtA.gif

• 1 month later...

WILD TIMES for the old stock this week... as the news flow gets better

WILD.t .... 5-yr: 2-yr: 10d: Last; $1.48 +0.17, +13.0%

TuBqdXg.gif

: 10d: Last; $1.48 +0.17

UkQbeGC.gif

NEWS

2020-09-25 08:30 C:WILD 1.31 In the News Globe says Wildbrain seen to have "turned the corner"
2020-09-22 18:53 C:WILD 1.15 SEDAR Annual Information Form SEDAR Annual Information Form
2020-09-22 18:53 C:WILD 1.15 SEDAR Audited Annual Financial Statements SEDAR Audited Annual Financial Statements
2020-09-22 18:39 C:WILD 1.15 News Release Wildbrain loses $236-million in fiscal 2020
2020-09-22 18:36 C:WILD 1.15 SEDAR MD & A

SEDAR MD & A

• Improve Cash Flow and Balance Sheet
    • Positive Free Cash Flow of $9.3 million in Q4 2020 vs Free Cash Flow of $4.1 million in Q4 2019. Fiscal 2020 positive Free Cash Flow of $27.1 million vs Free Cash Flow of $10.4 million in Fiscal 2019.
    • Net leverage ratio3 was 5.40x at June 30, 2020 vs 5.92x at June 30, 2019.

In Fiscal 2021, we will continue to create premium kids' content with priorities focused on growing key brands, monetizing our large audience on Wildbrain Spark viewership and improving cash flow and the balance sheet.

Financial Highlights
Financial Highlights   (in millions of Cdn$) Three Months ended   June 30, Year ended   June 30,
                                                 2020          2019         2020       2019   
Revenue                                         $92.9         $108.8       $425.6     $439.8  
Gross Margin                                    $39.6          $48.0       $187.8     $186.8  
Gross Margin (%)                                 43%            44%          44%       42%    
Adjusted EBITDA attributable to Wildbrain       $18.7          $20.2        $81.8     $79.6   
Net Income (Loss) attributable to Wildbrain      $4.0         $(62.8)     $(236.0)   $(101.5) 
Basic Earnings (Loss) per Share                 $0.02         $(0.47)      $(1.51)   $(0.75)  
Free Cash Flow                                   $9.3          $4.1         $27.1     $10.4   

Q4 2020 revenue was $92.9 million compared with $108.8 million in the same prior year quarter. The decrease was primarily driven by declines at Wildbrain Spark, resulting from changes in "Made for Kids" content policy made by YouTube and the negative advertising impacts of COVID-19, as well as Consumer Products-Owned revenue, which were also impacted by COVID-19. These declines were partially offset by higher Production revenue. Fiscal 2020 revenue was down 3% to $425.6 million vs $439.8 million in Fiscal 2019, primarily due to decreases at Wildbrain Spark and in our Consumer Products-Owned business.

===

Globe says Wildbrain seen to have "turned the corner"

2020-09-25 08:30 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Friday, Sept. 25, edition that RBC Dominion Securities analyst Drew McReynolds says Wildbrain's fourth quarter results brought "a turning point on visibility." The Globe's David Leeder writes in the Eye On Equities column that Mr. McReynolds removed the "speculative risk" qualifier from his "sector perform" rating. He reiterated his $1.50 share target, which exceeds the $1.18 consensus. Mr. McReynolds says in a note: "We believe the company has turned the corner on a period plagued by execution challenges, a sooner-than-expected shift in content demand and a levered balance sheet following major content investment and M&A. We continue to have greater confidence in execution under the new management team and see the potential for upside in the shares in a successful turnaround and de-levering scenario. While we remain patient for more attractive and/or timely entry points balancing the lagged impacts of growth initiatives with ongoing COVID-19 headwinds and still high leverage, we are encouraged by the progress to-date." Elsewhere, CIBC World Markets analyst Robert Bek upgraded Wildbrain to "neutral" from "underperformer" with a $1.25 share target.

• 2 weeks later...

I SOLD HALF of my WILD shares at over C$1.50

... making money on my second foray into the stock.

I have an order in at close to C$2.00 since that is where the next important resistance level looks to be

WILD.t .... 3yr: 2yr: 1yr: 10d/. Last: C$1.57

CaSN0Jl.gif

• 4 months later...

WILD CAME RIGHT !  Last:   $3.29 +0.27

More than a 3-bagger, if you bought under $1.00 on the low.  More than a Double on my original purchase

636enbf.png

News

2021-02-12 06:58 C:WILD 2.87 In the News Globe says Galappatthige keeps Wildbrain at "hold"
2021-02-09 18:20 C:WILD 3.10 SEDAR Interim Financial Statements SEDAR Interim Financial Statements
2021-02-09 18:20 C:WILD 3.10 SEDAR MD & A SEDAR MD & A
2021-02-09 18:09 C:WILD 3.10 News Release Wildbrain earns $11.3-million in Q2 2021

I still have the Debentures, earning a nice yield, + a Nice Capital Gain now - but have sold the stock - early as per usual