Royal Gold (RGLD) - Largest public Gold royalty co.

drbubb

Sorry I'm really going off topic but whats the best website to trade with for holding positions in RGLD as well as some junior miners?

It's easy to open an account with TD Waterhouse. They're cheap and you can trade all the US/Canadian/UK juniors you read about on this forum.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy to open an account with TD Waterhouse. They're cheap and you can trade all the US/Canadian/UK juniors you read about on this forum.

Why you would want to trade pm juniors at the moment I don't know. It's a continually beaten down sector and the victim of lots of short selling shenanigans.

You'd be better off compiling a watch list and waiting for some real signs of recovery in the sector before committing capital. If they're really going to the moon like some people believe then you can easily afford sit out the first 20 - 30% rises.

That's my thinking anyway.

Why you would want to trade pm juniors at the moment I don't know. It's a continually beaten down sector and the victim of lots of short selling shenanigans.

I disagree. Juniors HAVE been beaten down, and ARE SHOWING good signs of having bottom.

I like to buy stocks AFTER corrections, not at fresh highs

I have realised well over $100,000 profits trading in RGLD over the past two years,

ao I feel like I understand it somewhat. In fact, I would say over 95% of may many trades in RGLD

and its Calls have made money. I hope to continue this success record, but cannot guarantee it.

Not when you factor in their 1.5% currency charge!

Dr B,

My RGLD have been meandering for some time now. What is your current recommendation on these? 'HOLD' I presume?

CS

RGLD will "meander" until gold breaks higher, I suppose.

But I have been range-trading: selling July Calls as it moves higher,

and buying Oct. Calls when it moves lower. My last trade was on the BUY side

RGLD Needs to break above the downtrend line

rgldtogoldxc9.png

Closer-up, Daily chart

001la0.png

RGLD is having trouble punching thru resistance at 0.0366 ounces of Gold

• 2 weeks later...

(as posted on another thread here):

To me. Juniors (and some Senior golds too) are the way to go- they are so cheap relative to Gold.

I am putting togther a list of "Six Juniors I Like" for a friend that wants to invest/

I will probably start a thread here on it.

As I have said many times my largest holding is Royal Gold (RGLD), where I have shares and $25 Calls.

Recently, I have been buying October $25 calls (when RGLD was below $30). When RGLD popped to $31.40, I sold a few JUly $25 calls at more than I paid for the October- same strike.

Although RGLD hasnt yet done much, thru this sort of range trading, I have managed to make some good money on the position. And I still believe that RGLD will launch a move to $40-45 before year end, perhaps as Gold shoots up thru $1,000. RGLD now has a massive base for a really huge move up.

BREAKOUT ... of trading range for RGLD:

Last [Tick] 33.55[ + ]

Change... Up 2.26

% Change Up 7.22%

Volume 910,387

Massive move on big volume

BREAKOUT ... of trading range for RGLD:

Last [Tick] 33.55[ + ]

Change... Up 2.26

% Change Up 7.22%

Volume 910,387

Massive move on big volume

A very nice move, but the 33.8 area seems to be resistance in the short term. Think I may switch my holding

(a not-be-be revealed Fund Manager sent me this):

"Royal Gold, which is a company that is not affected by rising costs

as it simply sits and collects royalties on gold production from other mining companies. This

company’s shares also have been moribund since 2005, although the gold price has doubled.

However, during recent days, Royal Gold has moved sharply higher. This stock has had

many apparent breakouts previously, which have proven false starts, but we consider Royal

Gold as something of a harbinger for the sector. When it does finally commence a new

ascending pattern it will probably signal the end of this frustrating period of consolidation

and suggest that the gold bullion market is about to move dramatically higher again."

001xl4.png

It's been quite good fun buying this below $29 and selling at around $31 over the past few months, but I have a feeling that this game is about to end. I think we'll dip a little further before heading back over $30 (again) but this time I'll be holding all of the way, when gold wakes up and starts to move upwards again, I think the long awaited push to $40 will begin for real.

:lol:

RGLD now above $37 bucks, now that's what I call a breakout. It's taken a bit of time, but hanging on to this one has now paid off in a big way. To make things even more satisfying, it is clear that the morons who had been shorting this to death over the past couple of years have now been burned to ashes in a matter of weeks. Serves them right, why anyone would have wanted to short this one was a complete mystery to me.

• 2 weeks later...
:lol:

RGLD now above $37 bucks, now that's what I call a breakout. It's taken a bit of time, but hanging on to this one has now paid off in a big way. To make things even more satisfying, it is clear that the morons who had been shorting this to death over the past couple of years have now been burned to ashes in a matter of weeks. Serves them right, why anyone would have wanted to short this one was a complete mystery to me.

A good close for RGLD above the ST uptrend, following a rebound of 33.8 the previous day, looks like it wants to go higher. Also may have broken out in its range against gold.

Other people take on this one now?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Higher still. Profit taking anyone?

Nope still holding. This share is about the only one holding strong through all this. The model means it works as inflation takes off.

Gold : Can it, Will it ... JUMP this time?

Or should you take profit?

=========================

aa1fs5.gif

HAVING MISSED THE CHANCE to sell Gold and gold shares in July on the somewhat similar move above $900,

I wanted to consider what is different about the current move up in Gold

In July:

+ There was a lingering gap up above the market (at about $950) that wanted filling

+ The rally came on moderate volume and was "weakened" by various gaps on the way up

+ The Gold price was led higher by strong oil prices (rising to WTI-$146)

+ Oil peaked just before gold, and fell sharply, triggering a flight from commodities

+ Deleveraging of commodity funds, meant they "had to sell something", and gold was most liquid

Now, from the $734 low:

+ This rally was kicked off by huge volume

+ Internal dynamics are strong, with the rally up (wave 1), corrected with a healthy retracement (wave 2)

+ Gold may be in a strong and powerful upthrust, which would be confirmed by big volume as it vaults resistance

+ Gold lease rates are high (near xx%)

+ There is a huge amount of fear in equity markets, and strong demand for physical gold

NEGATIVE NOW : Seasonality. many gold highs come in early October

ALSO: Some think Gold will slide back when Libor and VIX ease. I believe easing in those will begin

before the end of October, and it could be rapid.

Before preparing the above, I had considered doing some profit-taking on my Gold call and RGLD portfolio.

But I remain concerned about the seasonality, so instead I shall:

+ Sell some RGLD near $40, and try to replace that exposure with Calls, so I have less money at risk.

+ I may do the same for some GDX Calls, which are also nicely in the money

If gold continues to soar, then maybe some of the "fallen angel" gold stocks in my portfolio will catch fire.

I certainly hope so.

Archived