The Naked Trader (Robbie Burns)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see Robbie has made a few trades recently, longs and shorts

Including Centamin a stock I have looked at in the past.

Not sure about Booker however ! Still Im sure he knows better than me !

I see he lost money on the long CEY buy 5/11/2009 - but he also did a S/B in Oct 2009 which he sold out for at a profit - overall profit on CEY, interesting approach

And guess what he made money on Booker ! :lol:

"With the market continuing to be strong I've axed the remaining shorts. No point swimming against the tide but I'll be back for them when the trend changes back".

Let the trend be your friend says Robbie.

• 3 months later...

For those that follow the bard Robbie, notice he has been having a good run of late and still has many longs open in comparison to only one small short on Wolseley.

Some will be interested to know he went long on PVCS at 45p with a 60p target (still open)

This is a good thread, that I havent followed much.

How has Robbie done overall?

Did he make money in 2008?

This is a good thread, that I havent followed much.

How has Robbie done overall?

Did he make money in 2008?

Robbie has made a tax-free profit of over £900,000 since 1999, and has made a profit every year, even during the market downturns of 2000-2002 and 2008-2009. Public trades made for his website have made nearly £800,000.

Suspect he's made a fair bit more including from book sales, his courses, endorsements etc

Suspect he's made a fair bit more including from book sales, his courses, endorsements etc

I remember a long time agp suggesting to DrB that if he wants to get more income from GEI he should really take a look a Robbie's ideas over on the Naked Trader

I see he bought CEY again + has been in and out of PVCS on the long and short side!

Im impressed by him as he (seems to) operate in a very simple way

May be an interesting one for Cuthberts Bulls and Bears

Could Dom afford the fee :lol:

He is good and yes he does make it simple. His books are a good read, though he doesn't always stick to his rules though eg Mkt Cap Aminex. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

You really have to page down to get the interesting stuff

http://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/

Interesting! The dips keep getting bought and it continues to be an excellent couple of weeks for both traders and investors. Except perhaps for those heavily into gold.

I notice chemical companies are going well so I went for the cheapest one I could find which is Yule Catto (YULC) getting 2,000 shares live at the seminar on Monday at 195.5 plus a £20 spreadbet at the same price.

Some really good figures coming from Yule Catto which makes chemicals which are used in many of the things we use at work and home. A nice surge through 200 should see 230 but I'm after 250 within a couple of months. Target 250 stop 177.

I noticed Mouchel Parkman (MCHL) has fallen to under 100 and I couldn't resist that - especially given the share has already been a bid target so as those who came to the seminar could see I picked up £30 on a spreadbet at 93 and 5,000 in real shares at 97.2. This proved an excellent buy as the share has already gone back up over 100. Target 160 stop 90.

I've also bought some Creston (CRE) - in fact looking at the trades I was the ONLY buyer before results getting 5,000 at 85.1. Results showed the company is now cash positive after making £28m on a sale. This makes it look extremely cheap now and with the debt gone makes it an interesting take over target.

At its current price and with an impressive list of top clients I think if I was a rival much bigger advertising firm I'd be snapping it up Creston at this sort of price. So while the price hasn't moved much on results I intend to hold this for a while as I think value will ultimately come out and there might be some decent upside. Target 140 stop 80.

I sold off two shares that I've been holding for some time!

I hadn't intended on selling PZ Cussons...I've held for a long time and indeed I was expecting to hold for another couple of years. But I sold because although results were excellent for right now after a massive rise of 100 points in just a few weeks the price looks up with events and so I'm banking profits, hoping to buy back again a little lower at some point.

I sold at 354.5 and 354 banking a lovely profit of £4,804 on the share positions and spreadbet. It's been a truly fabulous trade and it won't be long before I'm back in.

I also sold my SDL live at the seminar for 548 for a profit of £1,341 and the spreadbet at the same time at just under 547 for a profit of £3,960 to make a total profit of £5,301.

My reason is results are due and looking at it again it made an acquistion which won't benefit profits for quite a while, so as with PZ, I think shares are up with events and again I look to buy back a bit lower later this year.

Of course this is just my view and the market might disagree in which case I've sold off two decent shares too early. Still, very decent profits banked in both, indeed profits on both amount to a total of £10,105.

And sometimes, it is nice to get a big profit in the bank!

Good news abound around the portfolio.. where to start with plenty of my companies reporting!!

Pace produced a decent report and acquisition and has shot up giving me a very decent profit... I wondered about taking profits but I think there may be more there yet.

Volex produced another very decent update - a nice profit and that statement means I'm holding tight!!

Dialight's results were top notch.. excellent growth here justifying a more than double in price since I bought with huge profits building there now. And directors think there is more upside with some good buying yesterday. I've lifted the target here to 500 which I think it can get to based on current trading.

Long-termer Microgen produced another brilliant report - doubled on these after buying them at a seminar last year. It has tons of cash and will be returning some - really well done to this company.

African Aura too produced a decent and promising update but it seems to move very slowly, patience required I guess.

Star performer for this update goes to BTG Group - a fantastic lift over 200 - and great profits - this is one I won't be letting go of just yet!

Supergroup couldn't manage to get through 1000 after doubling but it's likely to have another go but what a terrible spread! Recent buy Mulberry has zoomed over 300 but couldn't quite hold there. Waiting for another attempt.

Nestor Healthcare is trying to crack zoomed up to 70 though it can't quite crack that yet - lovely performer this one now has profits of more than £13,000. Must be something good coming here judged from the trading. And there is already bid activity in the sector.

Devro hit 225 but slipped back from there but just a matter of patience for a ride up to 250 I think

IG Group reported brilliant results - seems to be growing in all areas - I was tempted to take profits but there looks to be more upside. It's growing nicely outside the UK.

Spice sits nicely higher after it rejected yet another bid this time at a higher price of the mid 60s. I reckon Spice topbrass are holding out for 75p a share which would suit me just fine!

Essar remains one I seem to struggle with, but I'll give it a bit more time just in case.

Lovely Petrofac has surged again heading for nearly 1300 and together with Enquest sees me sitting on profits way in excess of £20,000.

What can I say about XP Power except wish I hadn't taken profits along the way.... now nearly a four timer with massive profits.

Alternative Networks consolidates well after its recent rises. Micro Focus has slipped a bit - bit of a yellow card on that one for now.

Hyder produced a very strong statement and a potential bid looks like it's in there for nothing! It can't get through 350 but a bid could easily see 500.

Aggreko has seen a massive rise and it gets further bought every time it weakens - made a big amount here in a short time but I'm intending to stay with it during any dips like the last couple of days.

So again good progress with little work for me to do. I wonder whether perhaps this could be a nice quiet summer?

Could Dom afford the fee :lol:

He is good and yes he does make it simple. His books are a good read, though he doesn't always stick to his rules though eg Mkt Cap Aminex. :huh:

Agreed, just taking another look now.

He's just bought Mouchel Parkman (MCHL) as it fell under 100. Now taking a cursory look at the graph that seems the perfect example of catching a falling knife, apart from the round number support, there is no real reason to buy it there.

Arguably when it has just broke through its downtrend at 110, seems a better indicator.

Though his purchase is nicely in the money....

Maybe its just poisitive marketting, but he ALWAYS seems to be making money.

Positive marketing of sorts maybe, but thats more to hook people on his other offers. As LDB points out, you have to go well down the page to get to his trades ;) However, his diary trades are not edited out for a long time, so he can't be accused of doctoring results.......he always publishes losing positions.

Having followed his blog for several years and read both books, from those losing positions closed out, it seems clear he does tend to stick to his lines on stop losses. When he makes a bad call he closes it out, before or at the stop loss. Though he can jump on the same stock with several positions during a year eg PVCS t'was robbie that sparked my interest there.

Robbie seems more genuine than most trying to sell their wares on the net.

EDIT: One other point linked to that, mentioned his pick of Aminex, long before the hype around now. Robbie does tend to avoid tiddlers. Think he his well aware of his publicity power and the possibility of creating a "robbie price affect". The stock was latched onto by for instance many ADVFN poster and from memory it nearly hit or hit his target price withing days.

Thats why i'm guessing it was a rare one off small cap call, but as I said he doesn't always stick to his rules, just more often than not.

Think you will also find that the size of trades listed do not always reflect his real position, reason being that if he loads up on a bet he does not want others taking silly risks without risk management etc.

+ Using a stop loss policy of sorts is protection against the market submarining

Think you will also find that the size of trades listed do not always reflect his real position, reason being that if he loads up on a bet he does not want others taking silly risks without risk management etc.

+ Using a stop loss policy of sorts is protection against the market submarining

Don't doubt it. Seen it mentioned several times before it's his "public" portfolio. Have nearly been tempted to attend his seminar, but didn't fancy spending an evening with those stuffy trader types likely to be there, so gave it a miss. :P

I may move the Blog-Journals to another section.

Please comment / here: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....showtopic=10777

If you don't want the move, and a majority with Blogs also do not want it,

I will very happily leave things as is.

The idea was to make it easier to get to the Blog-Journals, and to increase visibility

• 2 months later...

LDB something for you from robbies latest blog.

I did manage to get a nice FTSE fiver long open at 5573 and another fiver at 5601 and have now raised the stop to 5650 so profits will get locked in if it dips from here. No science to it, just bought on the massive dip and scaled in. And got lucky.

........ Robbie does tend to avoid tiddlers. Think he his well aware of his publicity power and the possibility of creating a "robbie price affect". The stock was latched onto by for instance many ADVFN poster and from memory it nearly hit or hit his target price withing days.

Thats why i'm guessing it was a rare one off small cap call, but as I said he doesn't always stick to his rules, just more often than not.

Speaking of which, case in point and directly quoting the bard

I bought 7,000 shares in Orosur Mining at 49 (OMI) It's not my usual kind of share but it's unusual to be able to put this kind of small mining share into an ISA. Just a bit of a fun gamble as I have no exposure to mining in my Isas and if it doesn't work out I'll cut it fast. Target 100 stop 40. The hackneyed phrase "Not for widows and orphans" obviously applies and as I'm neither and this proves a stinker I can afford the loss. So please don't mail me to tell me this company does not comply with my usual investment rules, I know

Only noticed this because I bought OMI at 26p and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) banked half a few days back. Hmm nice timing Rob :lol:

Anyway, will see if Robbie weaves his magic on the remainder and has any initial buying effect, since as he says it's not the normal Robbie punt and bit of a rule breaker.

http://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/index.htm

Speaking of which, case in point and directly quoting the bard

Only noticed this because I bought OMI at 26p and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) banked half a few days back. Hmm nice timing Rob :lol:

Anyway, will see if Robbie weaves his magic on the remainder and has any initial buying effect, since as he says it's not the normal Robbie punt and bit of a rule breaker.

http://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/index.htm

Well, it is up about 15% today so far, coincidence? I do wonder if the market makers mark up these smaller/aim companies once he goes in because smaller investors may well follow on. Whatever, NT seems to have done it again. If only it was that easy for all of us!

Well, it is up about 15% today so far, coincidence? I do wonder if the market makers mark up these smaller/aim companies once he goes in because smaller investors may well follow on. Whatever, NT seems to have done it again. If only it was that easy for all of us!

Don't know if it's just down to Robbie, there was a buzz on these a couple of weeks or so back that got me interested; not long after our friend E.K(Simon Cawkwell) reaffirmed his buy view on the 15th of a buy up to 100p (bit of a coincidental price target at that). Quite a few others are pushing this as a potential big silver play in addition to the gold, so may not just be down to Robbie.

That said, OMI closed at 63.75(+16.44%) with decent volume and buys at the close, so Robbie can claim another success.

Don't know if it's just down to Robbie, there was a buzz on these a couple of weeks or so back that got me interested; not long after our friend E.K(Simon Cawkwell) reaffirmed his buy view on the 15th of a buy up to 100p (bit of a coincidental price target at that). Quite a few others are pushing this as a potential big silver play in addition to the gold, so may not just be down to Robbie.

That said, OMI closed at 63.75(+16.44%) with decent volume and buys at the close, so Robbie can claim another success.

Maybe he's just using the level 2 to effectively time the entry. Robbie swears by it.

• 2 months later...

Robbie had a good year "What can I say about 2010? I made more money than ever before - but money isn't everything" and before jetting off to South Africa until the 12th Jan he made a few interesting comments in his overview. Additionally, he was another bullish on a santa rally.

What is going on? The Santa rally seems to have started early. The market has been rising since the beginning of the month which is quite unusual. Normally it starts rising from now till year end.

It's risen 22 out of 25 years between now and year end. With the short day on Xmas Eve usually being pretty good!

Wise words from the bard in his review of 2010

I really thought at the start of 2010 it could be a difficult year and I'd be happy with making less than before.

So to sit here and write I had my best year ever is a real surprise but no complaints. I'm too lazy to add it all up but I'm guessing in reality across all accounts I probably made around £200,000.

Throughout the year big profits were banked from £1,000 through to the £40,000 and losses? A few but all were cut quickly with most losses in the very low 100s with the worst around £900.

The year's results show this: If you cut losses quickly and hang onto the winners for a decent period of time there are big gains to be made.............

........So I am delighted with 2010 - I've cut losses fast with not a single loss over £1,000 and held onto the winners with many huge winners over £10,000. Got to be the way to make money!

My one mistake? Probably still selling good ones too early. I shall try to rectify that in 2011 should it be a good year for the markets. Goodness knows what will happen but I will continue to try and follow the market rather than second guess what might happen.

Interesting Robbie is promoting Schiff too. This was the reminder for me from seeing the book thread, to get a last minute gift request in.

Well worth picking up at this link: The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets

Really admire him still, talks so much common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Robbie seems to have a good year every year, even when the market is falling he seems to find the winners. One thing that I've begun to wonder recently is whether he has negotiated a special spread rate with the spreadbetting companies in return for giving them a free plug? Quite often, Robbie is now going £25, 30, 50 or 60 a point, which is serious spread betting. Of course, with his winnings he can do this, but quite often he is buying smaller companies and when I look at the spread through the spread betting companies you will often see that even on a price of 150, you are looking at something like 146 to sell, 154 to buy, and not just on AIM. This means that at £50 a point, in this example you would start at minus £400. Surely he must be getting a preferential spread, how else would he do it?

Archived