Tracking Junior Miners - Why Are they Underperforming?

frizzers

I know AIM is sh*t. You know AIM is sh*t.

But a number of AIM resource juniors have really started to fly in recent weeks: among others Emed, Firestone, Caledon, Gulfsands. I think this bodes well.

Yes, AIM is sh*t.

To add to your list of those starting to fly, Anglo Pacific Group, Glencar Mining, Jubilee Platinum.

There seems to be a few more in the early stage of starting a move, amongst others, Ariana Resources, Horizonte Minerals, and Medusa Mining

The sector does seem to be turning up - why at this point ? --- Undervalued - Consolidation starting - Just the ' most meritorious issues ' moving up.

:unsure:;);)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just out of interest what do others here think of Beowulf Mining a small Swedish company on the AIM? Surely at 2p a share you cant go wrong?

I was seriously thinking about buying this as a (very) speculative play last year, but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to jumping in.

Just out of interest what do others here think of Beowulf Mining a small Swedish company on the AIM? Surely at 2p a share you cant go wrong?

I was seriously thinking about buying this as a (very) speculative play last year, but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to jumping in.

No better or no worse than your average junior play IMHO

Jim Sinclair’s Commentary

You might consider telling the management of your junior investment to be wary of the first offer (a certain lowball) or the short that wants to cover who presents themselves as investors interested in a private placement.

Miners looking for takeovers

The Canadian Press

May 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM EDT

TORONTO — Nearly half of the large mining companies interviewed for a recent study by Ernst and Young said they need to make acquisitions to meet their aggressive growth targets and 90 per cent said they expected to make an acquisition in the next two years.

The study, published Tuesday, predicts that 2008 will be a critical year in defining which of the mining companies are the hunters and which are the hunted.

“The global mining sector is flush with cash right now, and there's a strong appetite for more transactions,” says Tom Whelan, Ernst and Young's Canadian mining leader.

“Companies in Canada and the U.S. are attractive targets because most companies in North America have a single metal focus. This makes them neat strategic acquisitions.”

The study found 40 per cent of respondents — which were selected from among the top 40 mining companies in the world — said they were only able to meet their aggressive growth targets through acquisition.

not to mention the counterparty risk. Gold apart from the possible speculative gains that we are all hoping for is first and foremost an insurance policy. If my counter-party has gone tits-skyward by the time my call is in the money, I'm no better off - in fact, I'm $20k down :huh:

Not me.

I am wanting and expecting my net worth to outpace the falls in the dollar.

I have done so for years, but it hasnt been so easy in 2008, especially with the juniors weak.

But I am hopeful that a big move UP in CDNX and juniors has started.

A big move would be needed to "catch up" with Gold and major gold shares (HUI)

bigso0.gif

The first important barrier, near CDNX-2600, is now under attack

bigqu4.gif

If that goes, then we may see a swift run to CDNX-2,800

From Jim Sinclair

Dear Comrades in Golden Arms (CIGAs),

In years to come, market students reviewing gold's price action moving from $600 to $1200 will appear as much of a straight line as any market can produce.

Don't miss the historical move you are in. Look at the big picture.

Don't allow the daily arranged noise to dull your market senses. Nothing gold will fail to perform.

The larger the legal and illegal short, the more dynamic the upcoming move of the juniors will be.

Cancel all open sell orders in gold anything.

The sun is setting on the gold and gold share bearish bullies who wished only to destroy, contributing nothing to anyone but themselves. The world is made up of builders and destroyers, givers and takers. When the book is written, the hedge funds will be seen as destroyers of the financial world and having taken all the wealth of their investors in the process.

Many gold juniors will have advanced their resources or moved towards production whilst their SP has been depressed, taking no account of the advances made.

Whether it is gold through $1000, consolidation or any other catalyst, when the overall move starts, would expect it to be very sharp.

From today's Whisky and Gunpowder newsletter.

The Five Reasons Why Now’s the Time to Buy Junior Miners

Gold could be ready to end the summer doldrums even before summer begins.

The most relevant area of resistance in the way of this outlook is the 30-point range between $890 and $920. If gold can break through and find support at these values it will be poised to rise for the summer.

With that said, I think we’ve had our seasonal low and now it’s gold’s turn to shine…as the most preferable commodity…and better yet, to become money again.

Just writing that makes me realize how early in the game it still is. Who today would believe gold will become money again? Yet, at the top of the market everyone will.

Here is the best opportunity for us right now…

The Five Best Reasons to Buy Good Quality Precious Metal Juniors

Most of the small-cap and junior resource market has been in decline since gold first broke the $700 level back in 2006. But that’s all about to change, I have five reasons why you should buy juniors now before the window closes — lets get started…

Reason #1, is that, several depressing factors have come together to produce an early seasonal low, at least for the precious metals sector.

Reason #2, as implied in the introduction, gold has lagged the commodity cycle because the market is infatuated with the growth in developing countries, and has inferred a “realness” to their demand for commodities. I’ve never disputed that the growth exists… just that there is a lot more inflation, and that inflation is what drives prices higher.

I believe the gold market is at a bullish inflection point — a point of recognition of sorts.

Reason #3, the precious metal juniors have hardly benefited from the bullish trends in these commodities to date, especially since 2006, never mind the future.

Lots of money found its way into the junior segment over recent years, to be sure, but this expansion in capitalization has been dilutive. The Canadian Venture Exchange (CDNX) has had a hard time keeping up with gold itself, and is at its lowest level relative to gold since 2002. Simply put, the juniors should be tracking gold — and right now they have a lot of catching up to do. The result is a widening gap between the values of majors and juniors. In my mind, that gap will soon contract.

With that said I think it’s the best buying opportunity in this segment since 2002.

Reason #4, The money that has poured into the junior precious metals segment over the past few years has been soundly invested. I am impressed with the value that I’ve seen many juniors create throughout this cycle — the development of assets discovered back in the nineties has been astonishing.

Finally, the best reason to own these juniors now…

Reason #5, the next takeover wave!

Many of the large-cap producers are priced for growth, and they know that if they want to sustain those multiples, they’ll have to buy or find reserves. That’s the incentive.

Meanwhile, the juniors spent lots of investment dollars proving up their assets, and the market has ignored them. So they are ripe for acquisition.

And, the majors have plenty of cash, thanks to the latest run in gold prices.

Some, such as Agnico Eagle have said they’re on the hunt, while others like Gold Fields are obviously in need of assets outside of South Africa. Corrections in the price of gold won’t discourage them.

There’s your ammunition, five Solid reasons to make sure you are small-cap and junior miners. These miners won’t remain at these levels long, so now is your chance to get in!

I’m working on a more comprehensive target list as we speak. I see a window of opportunity between now and the end of this gold price correction to buy the good quality small-caps and juniors before they take off. The window could close earlier than you think.

Regards,

Ed Bugos

The Five Reasons Why Now’s the Time to Buy Junior Miners

By Ed Bugos / Vancouver, Canada .. May 23, 2008

Gold could be ready to end the summer doldrums even before summer begins.

The most relevant area of resistance in the way of this outlook is the 30-point range between $890 and $920. If gold can break through and find support at these values it will be poised to rise for the summer.

With that said, I think we’ve had our seasonal low and now it’s gold’s turn to shine…as the most preferable commodity…and better yet, to become money again.

Just writing that makes me realize how early in the game it still is. Who today would believe gold will become money again? Yet, at the top of the market everyone will.

Here is the best opportunity for us right now…

EXCERPTS:

I believe the gold market is at a bullish inflection point — a point of recognition of sorts.

Reason #3, the precious metal juniors have hardly benefited from the bullish trends in these commodities to date, especially since 2006, never mind the future.

Lots of money found its way into the junior segment over recent years, to be sure, but this expansion in capitalization has been dilutive. The Canadian Venture Exchange (CDNX) has had a hard time keeping up with gold itself, and is at its lowest level relative to gold since 2002. Simply put, the juniors should be tracking gold — and right now they have a lot of catching up to do. The result is a widening gap between the values of majors and juniors. In my mind, that gap will soon contract.

With that said I think it’s the best buying opportunity in this segment since 2002

. . .

Reason #5, the next takeover wave!

Many of the large-cap producers are priced for growth, and they know that if they want to sustain those multiples, they’ll have to buy or find reserves. That’s the incentive.

Meanwhile, the juniors spent lots of investment dollars proving up their assets, and the market has ignored them. So they are ripe for acquisition.

And, the majors have plenty of cash, thanks to the latest run in gold prices.

/more: http://www.howestreet.com/articles/index.php?article_id=6503

Time to Pick Up Juniors

By Ben Abelson

23 May 2008

CHICAGO (ResourceInvestor.com) -- While the price of gold has taken off this year, topping $1,000/ounce earlier this spring, the valuation of gold miners themselves hasn’t followed suit.

In an aberration from the norm, the equity prices of even the most senior miners has been sluggish over the past few months, with the level of the Gold/XAU ratio (our favourite relative value indicator) remaining close to historical lows.

The biggest reasons for the strange action are likely the flight to safety to gold, and away from equities, in the face of massive financial sector problems. And while these problems surely haven’t abated, it’s more likely than not investors will yet again remember that gold equities aren’t just like other stocks, and rather are leveraged plays on the metal itself.

In short, we’re betting that the traditional leveraged relationship between the price of gold and the miners will begin to reassert itself over the coming year. Already, the action in the Gold/XAU ratio has begun to get more constructive over the past several weeks, with many pundits spotting a technical breakout.

Going Small for Success

The best opportunities for success are to be found focused on smaller development or near-production plays. It’s worth remembering that there’s been a relative dearth of discoveries by all senior gold miners this cycle. With many of those same miners priced for growth, the consolidation wave for near-term production will undoubtedly continue.

Although investors may panic every time the price of bullion drops $25, the biggest seniors aren’t looking at every 5% swing in the price of gold as they evaluate their buy-out targets. With relative interest in the Toronto Venture Exchange and other junior bourses near multi-year lows, and many of the smaller producers having traded sideways for some time, now’s the best time to get involved in quality plays.

We prefer going a bit larger than your typical exploration play, to mitigate some of the drill-hole risk that one finds farther down the scale.

Solid producers like Aurizon Mines [AMEX:AZK; TSX:ARZ] remain quite cheap, while near-term producers such as European Minerals [TSX:EPM; AIM:EUM] and Minefinders [AMEX:MFN; TSX:MFL] are trading at higher-than-warranted political and operational discounts. (European Minerals, a long-time favourite, has recently secured additional financing to advance through commercial production, and has merged with Lero Gold to add to its exploration package). Another great up-and-coming story worth looking at is the Peak Gold [TSX:PIK], Metallica Resources [AMEX:MRB; TSX:MR] and New Gold [AMEX:NGD; TSX:NGD] three-way tie-up.

This “new Wheaton River” is the face of what could be one of the more innovative multi-mine junior producers to hit the market in years, assembled by some of the best-known mine financiers in the world. Investors obviously appreciate the combination, having bid up the shares of all participants since the deal was announced nearly two months ago.

And, although one could accuse me of banging a well-worn drum, the Peak/Metallica/New Gold story echoes just one reason why I continue to like Northgate Minerals [AMEX:NXG; TSX:NGX]. While CEO Ken Stowe certainly lacks the deal-making flash of Ian Telfer at Peak, Northgate’s done a remarkable job of assembling a global multi-mine package over the past couple years, all while proving their operating prowess at Kemess South.

Now heavily geared toward gold (instead of its prior copper exposure), I remain confident that this company’s shares will be a solid bet going forward as the company continues to prove nay-sayers wrong.

== == == == ==

Aurizon Mines [AMEX:AZK; TSX:ARZ]

European Minerals [TSX:EPM; AIM:EUM]

Northgate Minerals [AMEX:NXG; TSX:NGX].

Gold Stocks - 5 points to Remember. From Seeking Alpha

Article extracts:-----

Oil is now over $130. Of course there has to be some speculation here, but there are many commodities that are also at sky high prices and these do not trade on exchanges just producer to industrial end user, meaning there are no speculators or hedge funds involved. The list is so long I won’t include it here. The key thing to remember is that if these commodities are also in very strong bull markets it confirms that the general trend in almost all commodities is higher due to economic basics. These basics are: a) the supply demand impact of a new world (China, India, Russia, Brazil, etc.), b.) a decade or more of global paper money increases well above normal, creating inflation and c) the normal 20-25 year commodity up cycle that just started in 2001

Gold and silver are commodities and will respond like other commodities in the coming grand cycle commodity bull market. But these metals are also possible currency substitutes that cannot be wiped out by a bank run or a printing press. This will have increased appeal as we move further into more of a paper money crazed world.

Precious metal stocks with the resources already in the ground are solid investments. Mining companies with only land packages and drill rigs are highly speculative and will not participate in the coming bull market if they do not find economic deposits (which is very hard to do). Best to put most of your money in companies with solid resources in the ground.

Mining Stocks

The time for the gold mining stocks is now.

A recent Financial Times of London featured editorial was titled, “Gold is the new global currency.” We couldn’t agree more. The article quite correctly concluded that printed money is indeed the barbaric relic. In 2007, the U.S. Government debt increased by $500.2 billion. Even worse news is this recent statement from the U.S. Comptroller General.

The federal government’s fiscal exposure of direct and indirect debt increased by $2 trillion in 2007. Direct and indirect debt obligations totaled approximately $53 trillion as of September, 2007 …. an increase of more than $32 trillion from September 2000. [emphasis ours]

These are big numbers that make us very secure in holding well thought out gold mining stocks.

Full Article

http://seekingalpha.com/article/79129-gold...nts-to-remember

• 2 weeks later...

David Morgan sees signs of short covering in PM stocks

Today, Thursday June 5, 2008 I noticed that gold was down on the day and yet gold stocks were up. Silver actually had a rather positive day overall and many silver equities were up two to three percent on the day. Normally, when gold is off even slightly and gold stocks show mild strength it is a result of short covering. In fact this is most likely the cause of today’s price action.

Earning season is here and many of the producers have reported very good margins, far superior to what they reported last year during the first quarter. The market is taking a big yawn at this excellent news and we need to comment. It is only a matter of time before Wall Street wakes up to the fact the many of the leading gold and silver companies are making profits. Earnings drive stock prices eventually, so the point is simply that these earnings will not be ignored forever.

Some are still of the opinion that the correction is almost over and we can expect to see silver and gold move toward their recent highs in short order. We do not see that taking place and expect at least a three to six month corrective phase to develop. This is the time to build or accumulate stocks you favor.

One of the clearest signs that the bottom is complete will be the precious metal mining equities refusing to move down further in spite of the fact the metals themselves may continue to find lower prices. In other words, I fully expect to see the mining stocks form a bottom before the metals themselves.

FULL Article:

http://www.kitco.com/ind/morgan/jun092008.html

Posted On: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 11:21:00 PM EST

In The News Today

Author: Jim Sinclair

Jim Sinclair’s Commentary

Junior mining situations provide the majority of new reserves in both base and precious metals.

Many of these companies are now selling at prices less than the value of the sum of the parts.

The hedge funds keep up their strategy of naked short selling, having gone from normal greed to insatiable madness, wanting it all and wanting it now.

The turn in these shares will be made by the first major deals between Chinese and/or Middle East entities.

The other end game for these criminals would be the outing of those that attack from the shadows, content that they will never be identified by data as naked illegal shorts.

Mining Replaces Financial Services as Biggest Driver of M&A

By Ambereen Choudhury and Brett Foley

June 12 (Bloomberg) -- Metals are the new green on Wall Street, as mining has displaced financial services to become the biggest source of mergers and acquisitions.

The value of announced mining takeovers more than tripled to $199 billion in the first five months of 2008 from a year ago, even as the global pace of M&A dropped 37 percent, data compiled by Bloomberg show. Financial-services companies, the largest driver of merger fees for the past two years, disclosed $173.5 billion of transactions in the first five months. It's the first time mining mergers have topped the M&A table since Bloomberg began compiling the data in 1998.

``We have moved into the age of commodities,'' said Carl Hughes, a London-based partner at Deloitte & Touche LLP, who oversees the firm's energy and resources practice. ``You clearly have a large number of mining companies just generating cash and profit like there is no tomorrow.''

A $100 billion deal is ``imminently possible,'' said Shaun Treacy, who runs Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.'s global metals and mining group from London. That would be in addition to BHP Billiton Ltd.'s $147 billion unsolicited bid this year for Rio Tinto Group in the world's largest mining transaction.

``The race is on for valuable, high quality, scarce resources,'' said Treacy, 41. ``Rumors are circulating about various transactions, as there continues to be significant appetite.''

Juniors Mercator Gold and Kopane Diamonds have recently turned away potential bidders, wonder how many more juniors are being closed in on by predators at the moment.

A wave of M&A could certainly get the juniors moving, but it does seem that Mercator and Kopane were not going to sell out cheaply. There is plenty of cash there, for the right assets ---- but the bidders are trying it on at the moment by the look of it.

"Gold stocks are not gold." - Cgnao

Oh, yes.

Nor are oil stocks oil or cotton companies cotton.

One thing I have learnt this past year is that nothing trades like the real thing

Yes, but Major Gold stocks (as in the HUI) have come very close to tracking Gold.

bigwv2.gif

And Juniors (CDNX in blue) may still have their day ... update : 1 year

bigdw7.gif

I have passed this onto a few that I'm invested in. It might be worth doing the same.

Posted On: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 4:43:00 PM EST

The Day The Juniors Fight Back

Author: Jim Sinclair

Dear CIGAs,

I respectfully request that each member of the JSMineset community send this missive to the management of their precious and base metals junior investment company. Please follow up on it to be sure it has been reviewed.

Strength In Numbers

The junior producer and exploration and development companies need to consider the formation of a Chamber of Mines for this section of the industry.

This Chamber should be free of any individual company agenda, free of fees and other interferences with the singular intention of protecting our shareholders from being attacked by those in the shadowy part of finance.

There are close to 2000 companies in this part of the industry, many of which are experiencing the same extreme nuisances.

The naked gold short seller is an entity engaged in a criminal act with a goal of doing serious injury for the purpose of profit and is therefore a major target in terms of civil liability. The short and naked short pool operations are exactly the same but more apt to be a conspiracy to injure slightly then become subject to RICO statutes.

The job of this working Chamber of Mines as a singular unit is to pull these criminals out of the shadows into the light of day.

No matter how well they feel they are hidden there is always a paper trail going back to the perpetrator in this financial world.

Certain financial areas of secrecy in many cases do not protect the spoils of criminal activities. This may be proven soon at UBS where an officer is under arrest in the USA and is due to go to court shortly.

It does not mean anything that neither regulators nor exchanges care about the naked short or short selling pools, regardless of whether they are naked or not. If the stockholders and the company who’s values have been injured initiate civil proceedings, discovery will be full of legal opportunity. You cannot erase the paper trail that exists to every transaction.

My request is simple:

Contact the management of every junior precious metals producer, exploration and developer, asking them to contact Editor Dan at information@jsmineset.com so that the Chamber can take form.

There is no hidden agenda, no money to be collected, and no desire to stroke egos and no desire for private corporate information. I do not wish to be anything but a member. Let the organization elect its officers so we can act as one. We can speak as one. We can win as one, but we are weak when scattered as the industry is now. Organize and we are a legion. Expose the perpetrators and then it is all over. The data is there. It can be organized and it can be dissected, yielding the evidence trail of those who wish to hurt, sometime simply because they are mean, sometimes for illicit profits.

Add to that that sociopaths mistreat their associates and employees by nature. No looking may be required. It might just happen to come over the transom, even though we do not invite that.

You stockholders must push your management hard. Personally there is nothing that I will NOT do in order to protect both my and my investors’ interests.

I herewith dedicate my life, my fortune and all that I am to the identification of the perpetrators and their conduits used. Those sociopaths that take joy by inflicting severe injury for profit by conspiracy and the use of dirty tricks must be the hunted of nearly 2000 company’s determined managements and their more than 500,000 very angry stockholders.

There is only one way to defend stockholders, which is through the organization and strategy of a major offensive. Forget attorneys at this point. Regulators are of no help. A Chamber of Mines acting together can prevail.

I will even if I must go it alone.

Together we are legion. Alone and looking the other way you are a victim. I have never been a victim. No one depending on me will be a victim.

There is NOTHING I will not do to protect those that depend on me. I am livid. Enough is enough.

We will add risk to the bad guys. That proposition you and they can depend on.

Your friend,

Jim Sinclair

I have passed this onto a few that I'm invested in. It might be worth doing the same.

Have done similar.---- The more this is passed on, the greater the effect.

The Day The Juniors Fight Back - Jim Sinclair

Mystery solved !

aa0je6.gif

I agree with the good Dr, that the Canadian juniors look incredibly bullish. I'm getting a buzzy feeling too.

You could argue the correction has been going on since that first peak in May 06.

I think all this talk from Puplava and Sinclair about attacking illegal shorts is really going to help things too.

If a sector starts obviously doing well, there is so much money floating around looking for a bull market, it could flood this sector.

Don't forget, the Chinese have about $1 Trillion in dollar holdings that they will want to get into something

less exposed to dollar weakness. And I think it is clear from actions being taken by the Chinese that a

good chunk of that (10%? 20%? More?) is going to find its way into resource stocks, either directly,

through takeovers, or indirectly, through reinvestment of takeover proceeds.

Here's another factor:

"Sen. Joe Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, revealed Wednesday the drafts of three bills that would sharply curtail the activities of financial investors in the commodities markets. The most extreme proposal would prohibit private and public pension funds with more than $500 million in assets from investing in agricultural and energy commodities traded on a U.S. futures exchange, foreign exchange or over-the-counter, according to materials provided by Lieberman's office. A second proposed bill would direct the Commodities Futures Trading Commission to establish total limits on the share of the commodity market held by financial investors. A third proposal would direct the futures regulator to impose speculative position limits on any stakes not related to real hedging activities, an action that could limit the commodities swaps activities of big investment banks such as Goldman Sachs."

Offshore investors outside the US will keep investing in commodities, but onshore investors will have to buy commodity related shares as their hedge. So this return-to-old-fashioned could be good for juniors too.

c. 2000 correct to 1500.

Retest 2000 correct to 1500.

3rd time past 2000, then pull back 2000 is support.

From 2000 to about 3300. Then correct to 2400.

Back up to 3300 for retest corrects to 2400.

So where next?

I would suggest the pattern from low to high is more or less a double: 900 to 2000, then 1500 to 3300, so 2400 should take is to around 5000.

From high to high it's about 60-70%. 3400 x 65% = 5610.

With both Jim Puplava and Jim Sinclair striking back at illegal shorting of juniors I hope that many have followed through by sending out Jim Sinclair's email to juniors they have an interest in. Am a little surprised that only Pixel8r and myself have confirmed on this thread that we have followed up with Jim Sinclairs email.

-----------

QUOTE (Pixel8r @ Jun 17 2008, 10:42 PM)

--------------

Has anyone else sent emails out to juniors they have an interest in.

With both Jims providing excellent services to all, would really like to see them get major support from everyone with an interest in juniors, not only for self-interest but out of respect for the efforts of Messrs Sinclair and Puplava -- and their teams of course !!!

With both Jim Puplava and Jim Sinclair striking back at illegal shorting of juniors I hope that many have followed through by sending out Jim Sinclair's email to juniors they have an interest in. Am a little surprised that only Pixel8r and myself have confirmed on this thread that we have followed up with Jim Sinclairs email.

-----------

QUOTE (Pixel8r @ Jun 17 2008, 10:42 PM)

--------------

Has anyone else sent emails out to juniors they have an interest in.

With both Jims providing excellent services to all, would really like to see them get major support from everyone with an interest in juniors, not only for self-interest but out of respect for the efforts of Messrs Sinclair and Puplava -- and their teams of course !!!

I don't think people are truly convinced that it is going on. Jim is calling it "the crime of the century". I might have to subscribe to level 2 access, just to prove to myself it is happening. Has anyone watched these big targeted sells at the end of play?

Amazingly junior miners were up today against the terrible performance of the Dow etc.

This bodes well.

This is different to the crashes of August 07 and Jan and March 08

They have been already sold down - only the stronger holders are left.

Amazingly junior miners were up today against the terrible performance of the Dow etc.

This bodes well.

This is different to the crashes of August 07 and Jan and March 08

I had a good day until the close as usual.

It's a amazing when you look at Tumi stock yesterday 1300 shares @ $0.36 where sold at close and the stock has moved by 5.26%. So a sale of $426 / £210 moves the company 5.26%!

This is a really good example of what Jim Puplava and Jim Sinclair have been talking about in the manipulation of juniors.