• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Welcome back, Marceau!

And, for anyone who's able to receive the UK TV channel ITV1, the classic James Bond flick Goldfinger is this afternoon starting at 4pm (that's UK time, of course)! :)

I'll definitely be watching it (or at least recording it and watching it this evening[1])... and while I do, I'll be thinking of you lot! :rolleyes:

[1] Boy, do I know how to have fun on a Saturday evening! :huh:

Just been reading Andrew Marr's history of modern Britain, apparently Goldfinger was named after Hungarian modernist architect Erno Goldfinger who’s responsible for many of the 1960’s tower blocks in the UK. Apparently Fleming hated them so decided to name his baddie after him.

A bearish pattern has developed and a SELL-IF alert is issued today. You will see if we erred slightly in our previous BUY signal. A confirmation in the next session will show that we have underestimated the bearish power of the market. You may realize a small loss but prevent a bigger one if you are following our guidelines.

:o

British Bulls, Gold.

Just been reading Andrew Marr's history of modern Britain, apparently Goldfinger was named after Hungarian modernist architect Erno Goldfinger who’s responsible for many of the 1960’s tower blocks in the UK. Apparently Fleming hated them so decided to name his baddie after him.

A little gem of trivia. :D

Had never heard of that.

I thought a great indicator had been found in British Bulls, but I see one major problem. It is not tracking what we generally have: It tracks paper, we have gold.

All the advice I've seen posted on the net of late, especially with the suspected disconnect between paper prices and physical gold (& silver) prices, is to ditch paper and get physical. If folk follow that advice, it follows that the ETFs will take a hit and BB may correctly forecast a bear phase on its terms but which is not realised (or very transiently realised) in the physical market.

Then again, I saw somewhere that the ETFs had only retreated by 11% of their holdings in the last correction, so I suppose they still have a major influence on the market price.

So, was I the only one who watched Goldfinger yesterday? :D

There was talk of gold at $30 per ounce, and a huge ingot (around 10kg, although they didn't specifically mention the ingot's weight) that was 'worth £5k, 007'...

As the movie opened, Auric Goldfinger was being put under surveillance because he was smuggling his $30 gold to somewhere where they'd apparently pay in excess of $100 for it (but, if they said where, I don't now recall). And Goldfinger himself (in laying out the tedious details of his rather complex and costly master plan to Bond, as arch-villains are wont to do) says that the incident at Fort Knox he's planning where all the US's gold reserves will be radioactively contaminated for an estimated 58 years will see (as a conservative estimate) his gold reserve increase in value ten-fold.

As it happens, if he'd've just waited for about 15 years (Goldfinger was made in the mid-'60s), he would've seen his gold rise in value by a factor of about thirty times anyway! :lol:

There was the usual under-estimating the weight of gold with folks wielding 10kg ingots as if they were a good deal lighter, but it was still a blast to watch! So, a happy Saturday evening's entertainment all round... :)

As it happens, if he'd've just waited for about 15 years (Goldfinger was made in the mid-'60s), he would've seen his gold rise in value by a factor of about thirty times anyway!

Choose your next witticism carefully, Mr Jones. It may be your last. ;)

(No, you weren't the only one watching Goldfinger last night)

Guest Dramatic Exit
There was the usual under-estimating the weight of gold with folks wielding 10kg ingots as if they were a good deal lighter

10kg of gold weighs the same as 10kg of anything else ;)

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread....25&posted=1

The Bundesbank has no gold. Just a little bit in Frankfurt. The German gold was shipped to New York in 1946 for "safekeeping". Everybody pretends it is still German gold, but if you don't hold it you don't own it. It would probably be considered an unfriendly act if the bundesbank wants to have physical gold shipped back.

This is also true for Swiss and Italian gold as far as I know.

If you run an Empire, you wanna have all gold. This is what the US achieved, although 'officially' it is labelled as German, Swiss or Italian gold.

The gold might have been sold to India or Arab countries a long time ago. The US will just say 'sorry' when the Germans etc. will want it back one day. It will be 1971 all over again. If you're an Empire, you're getting real when you default without someone invading you.

Quite balanced article from the Independent on Sunday, although I disagree with the last paragraph, which forgets to mention how bleak the economy is at the moment.

Julian Knight: Tread cautiously if travelling in the realms of gold

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/invest-...old-906790.html

It is not just in Beijing that Britons have struck gold. In what has been a bleak couple of years for investors, the most precious of precious metals has been a runaway success.

With a rising oil price, an unfolding credit crunch and – inevitably – a slowing world economy, gold has been the investment of choice for many canny operators. Prices have more than doubled in the past three years and are predicted to rise further as economic storm clouds continue to gather. In short, there has been a return to the idea of gold as the last refuge, the fail-safe. The independent financial advisers I speak to tell me that a fair few of their clients have seen it glittering and sprinkled a little into their portfolios.

But as with all things investment related, as soon as something looks a sure-fire bet, it could be time to consider hightailing it out. From its mid-July high, the price of gold has come off to the tune of 16 per cent. HSBC last week shifted its view on gold, saying that it could lose between 25 and 35 per cent of its value – equivalent to what is likely to happen in the UK housing market once that particular horror show has played itself out.

The bank's analysts reckon a speculative bubble has formed in gold – another similarity with the housing market – and could now be about to burst, with some early movers shifting out of the precious metal and into, of all places, the US stock market.

But who is to say that HSBC is right? Just to muddy the waters, the investment bank Investec predicted last Thursday that the gold price would soon resume its march upwards. There is, it says, an undersupply; one leading gold mining company reckons production could fall by between 10 and 15 per cent over the next five years.

It's the age-old quandary for the investor: what do you do when you're hearing mixed messages from the so-called experts? To be frank, both HSBC and Investec's arguments make sense, and if I were to put any number on the future price of gold it would be pure guesswork. However, there are warnings to be had for the private investor if we consider the last gold rush, in the late 1970s.

Back then, prices rose sharply as the world economy reeled from higher oil costs – sounds familiar? – but once the dust settled and speculators saw opportunities elsewhere, the price of gold went on a 20-year slump. Twenty years – now that's a long time for any investor to keep the faith.

When all else is going wrong, gold tends to do well as an investment of last resort. But being a good backstop doesn't mean that it delivers the sort of long-term growth that can help fund your retirement or pay for the kids to go to university. Put simply, despite its glittering performance in the past few years, gold should never be more than a small part of a long-term saving and investment strategy.

Quite balanced article from the Independent on Sunday, although I disagree with the last paragraph, which forgets to mention how bleak the economy is at the moment.

Julian Knight: Tread cautiously if travelling in the realms of gold

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/invest-...old-906790.html

Yes. The last paragraph does not stand up to any rigorous analysis.

Nick

Hey guys...what happened?

Back from holidays and feeling a little poorer than expected!

Silver and Gold taken a bit of a pasting...in dollar terms at least.

When do we expect a recovery? or is the market too manipulated now?

Should we be like Errol and just keep buying regardless of price as and when we can?

Land and a shotgun is seeming more and more attractive. :lol:

Some people go physical in gold, so why not oil?

Tanks, fire risk, insurance etc. etc.

Gasoline and diesel also decay - you must put preserver in or they will become unusable in a few years - esp with the most advanced engines.

Going physical in terms of cash value is easier in gold than anything else.

Thats why a free market has tended to make gold money.

Here’s some more of my analysis of oil vs gold for the last eight years. This post is topical, as we go from what I see as the “gold winter season” (Mar-Aug) to a “gold summer season” (Sep-Feb) during the next week.

Look how the gold-to-oil ratio varies between both seasons – both graphs normalized to the ratio on the first day of the “season” There is a clear (but gradual) mean downward trend from Mar-Aug and a clear mean upwards trend from Sept-Feb (mostly before Xmas). This pattern holds for most years, although there are exceptions.

I’m wondering if we are nearing a bottom in the gold-to-oil ratio, which would suggest better prospects for gold in the next few months.

Gold_to_oil_seasons.PNG

Here’s some more of my analysis of oil vs gold for the last eight years. This post is topical, as we go from what I see as the “gold winter season” (Mar-Aug) to a “gold summer season” (Sep-Feb) during the next week.

Look how the gold-to-oil ratio varies between both seasons – both graphs normalized to the ratio on the first day of the “season” There is a clear (but gradual) mean downward trend from Mar-Aug and a clear mean upwards trend from Sept-Feb (mostly before Xmas). This pattern holds for most years, although there are exceptions.

I’m wondering if we are nearing a bottom in the gold-to-oil ratio, which would suggest better prospects for gold in the next few months.

It's funny how events seem to reinforce this seasonality.

Me - I buy and hold I am not clever.

Something's wrong and gold is good in bad times is all you need to know.

my forecast for this week is for oil to break the 100 line going to bottom at 105 level. gold at that oil level should bottom to around 730, silver to touch 10.80 or 11.20

it might happen however that oil bottom again at 112 and gold around 780, confirming a strong double bottom.

I would say, the probability of these 2 forecasts is 50%-50%

lets see what happens