If the pattern repeats, yes, or maybe a slightly higher region would be retested. Will the pattern repeat? Not so sure. The pattern can't go on forever.

look at the chart I'd say that if it did pull back to that region, 1200 - 1250 would provide the first region of strong support.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

This is an excellent webinar hosted by the CME exchange, discussing fundamentals of the gold market. It also inevitably touches upon inflation.

http://at.pscdn.net/008/00102/videoplatfor...1102goldKV.html

Topics include:

Where are gold prices going?

1999 "Perfect Bottom" cues

Current Gold Market Factors

A "Perfect Top" for 2011?

Q&A

The analysis is excellent and broad ranging. It's also very bullish :)

Does this plot indicate that a significant period (1yr?) of consolidation/correction is in order?

I'm not suggesting, just asking about how you interpret this plot.

Your right it does show that a year long consolidation could be possible, but I don't think that will be the case. The reason why is the continued manipulation in the price and the fact that we are moving towards the mania stage now.

If you look at the chart you will see that it hasn't followed the same path as before already, in that we didn't reach the point till later. I think this was due to manipulation by the bullion banks. I truly think we are about to have a large surge which will take us through the resistance line.

I am expecting us to be on a surge till around May/June then a pullback through the summer while QE3 gets debated, before another surge next winter.

I merged the old gold threads together so they don't always get lost. I am not sure whether I found all of them, but quite a few I think.

Let's hope this thread won't cause a black hole with so much gold in one place! :lol:

You make a good case to have just one gold thread pinned.

I merged the old gold threads together so they don't always get lost. I am not sure whether I found all of them, but quite a few I think.

Let's hope this thread won't cause a black hole with so much gold in one place! :lol:

Good move,

Incidentally the old HPC gold thread now has less than half the number of posts at 11,167, but slightly more views at 1,597,837

There is more interest now.

And do you have any thoughts as to how far the present pullback will go ?

He don't post much but I found this old one.

CG March 2008 HPC gold thread

After the collapse of the international monetary and banking system,

with the world back on the gold standard,

your savings, pension, investments, house gone,

no credit available, rotting in poverty,

no social security, health care or government benefits,

working like a serf to earn your daily bread,

what will you think when you read my warnings,

how you dismissed me, ignored me, ridiculed me?

Do the smart thing.

Protect yourselves NOW.

Spot on, another great post. I have total respect for those such as G0ldfinger who have clearly marked their position out in the hyperinflation camp with the back up of gold and having been incredible successful, I only wish I had educated myself earlier than and been in gold in the early days so I could build a solid position.

Thanks. Go back a few years and gold was also a tough buy then. It will always seem expensive at whatever time you buy. Looking at the gold price on a chart, I don't see a parabolic rise in the price of a commodity threatening to collapse, but instead the [relatively] steady 20% yearly appreciation of an international prime currency [volatility looks to be reducing]. Perhaps looking at it this way also involves seeing through a currency-centric form of money illusion, where we're naturally habituated to the currency we use. It looks perfectly rational to me to swap some of your depreciating currency for an appreciating one... even at these seemingly crazy prices. It helps to put a decimal point in the price, so $1390 becomes 1.390 against the dollar [or whatever currency your using].

comp-4.gif

Thanks. Go back a few years and gold was also a tough buy then. It will always seem expensive at whatever time you buy. Looking at the gold price on a chart, I don't see a parabolic rise in the price of a commodity threatening to collapse, but instead the [relatively] steady 20% yearly appreciation of an international prime currency [volatility looks to be reducing]. Perhaps looking at it this way also involves seeing through a currency-centric form of money illusion, where we're naturally habituated to the currency we use. It looks perfectly rational to me to swap some of your depreciating currency for an appreciating one... even at these seemingly crazy prices. It helps to put a decimal point in the price, so $1390 becomes 1.390 against the dollar [or whatever currency your using].

comp-4.gif

Why is it that you can't see that the rate of increase in gold is escalating as time goes on and continue to bang on about a steady 20% rise? The LOG clearly shows that the rate is increasing.

20101213-rdpr95899b8an26p3m93m6yxiy.jpg

Why is it that you can't see that the rate of increase in gold is escalating as time goes on and continue to bang on about a steady 20% rise? The LOG clearly shows that the rate is increasing.

Well, I think you could be splitting hairs there. Plus, I don't see much point in drawing a trend line from the lowest point of forced liquidation in '08.

@ Pixel8R

Your graph is in error.

It does not show for instance the collapse from 725$ to 565$ that occured in May-June 2006.

See ktco.com for the data at that time.

Neel

His chart is a monthly one. The spike down and bounce up again was so quick, it can easily be ironed out on a monthly (month end) chart.

http://gold.approximity.com/2006/Gold_USD_LOG.html

Gold_USD_LOG.png

http://gold.approximity.com/since1999/Gold_USD_LOG.html

Gold_USD_LOG.png

Of course, if they won't, then find someone who doesn't have a problem with it.

Not exactly the on-est of topic ques, but in my defence I did ask this yday in the PM section, so trust you'll excuse: is it okay to ask sellers to 'pop' the plastic gem cases on proof sets for means of inspection?