Fofoa has written eloquently about silver being out of a job for use as soft money when paper currencies have now have filled the position. I accept his reasoning (and my own beliefs) about this and have swapped 1/3 of my silver to gold (enabling me to acquire twice the gold ounces by virtue of silver's massive gains). I think silver has a long way to go and will ride it some more but will be incrementally swapping for gold along the way.

Think this is a very good post, Mr Schaublin. I will do the same, maybe 1/5 of my silver.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

For those that play the G:S ratio, why aren't you swapping all of your silver ounces to gold?

How can you be sure it is the right time to do it with 100%?

Better space it out, with goal posts that need to be reached. I think a low of the ratio will be at 15:1 or lower.

This is why I'm not playing the G:S ratio, as I couldn't be certain it's the right time even at 25%. It's only a gut feeling based on everything I read, but I can't help but feel that silver is going to surprise us all... Agreed, I think it's going lower than 16:1 as well.

How can you be sure it is the right time to do it with 100%?

Better space it out, with goal posts that need to be reached. I think a low of the ratio will be at 15:1 or lower.

Just noticed that Goldmoney only has 18,352 customers. This is one of the leading physical bullion investment options globally and still only a miniscule number of customers.

I wonder how many retail holders of the ETFs there are?

I noticed this a whie back. If you consider that to have a GM account you must have a reasonable amount in there then extrapolating you or I could be amongst the top 50K wealthiest people!

I've thought about a GM (and indeed BullionVault) account, but the charges are too high relative to the amounts I'm prepared to play with.

I noticed this a whie back. If you consider that to have a GM account you must have a reasonable amount in there then extrapolating you or I could be amongst the top 50K wealthiest people!

The 50k most wealthy individuals could easily get direct access to bullion markets, so I doubt it. From https://www.credit-suisse.com/news/en/media_release.jsp?ns=41610 the richest 80k people have > $50 million.

This is it, we've entered the period of high volatility, as Sinclair has predicted a long time ago.

And, as usual, posting a rocket has stopped the ascent. :P

If you look at the previous chart I posted, the volatility [in real terms] is remarkably reduced with gold appreciating at a much more ordered and steady rate, which has been my prediction for quite some time. :) Nowhere in the past couple of years have we seen the huge moves to the upside, and then the large corrections that were typical earlier.

The reason for this, imo, is the monetization of gold, where CBs/ investors buy gold increasingly as an alternative currency.

Is a Healthy Correction Overdue in Gold and Silver?

The current blow off move means that a correction could be quite painful for the investor who has overextended by accumulating at euphoric levels.

Do not get me wrong, I believe silver and gold’s long term trend could push gold to $3,000 and silver to $100 by 2013, but I'm welcoming a short-term healthy correction of at least 20% in silver before I will consider buying again. I will wait for pullbacks and not chase the metal at these elevated levels.

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/gold-gold-price-silver-silver-price/5/2/2011/id/34286

Is a healthy correction due?

Hopefully! I don't like paying nigh on £1000 for an ounce of gold.

Think of it as the currency losing purchasing power rather than gold getting more expensive.

Was looking at some Gold Gold miner ratios today.

Barrick stood out for me as its cheapened quite a bit in relation to gold. I don't expect the miners to repeat the sale prices of 08 so I'm thinking they won't get much cheaper with respect to gold.

stockcharts gold:abx

Earnings coming up for miners, they might start looking like the winners they should be.

... from the JS thread ...

URGENT UPDATE needed from Piper...

Looks like fiat has gone on a rampage !

Guidance needed.

Are buy-and-holders panicking ?