• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

The Merryn Somerset-Webb Appreciation Society sub-forum - (because I can understand her!)

When will it be time to sell your gold?

http://www.moneyweek.com/blog/when-will-it-be-time-to-sell-your-gold-13101?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Money%2BMorning

Another new nominal high in gold in USD.

Not much comment here. Interesting. Have we all become very complacent about gold's rise?

It's hard to be anything else given the (admittedly paper) profits most here have made. I do worry for recent buyers though, a significant correction is bound to come at some point.

It's hard to be anything else given the (admittedly paper) profits most here have made. I do worry for recent buyers though, a significant correction is bound to come at some point.

Please :unsure:

Last reasonable excuse for a good correction is August 2nd Deadline.

But i wont hold my breath.

Here is a good discussion on the US debt ceiling issue,in fact it is probably the best i have heard to date.

Patrick Timpone one radio with Andrew Gause.

http://www.oneradionetwork.com/the-real-world-of-money/the-real-world-of-money-with-andrew-gause-july-23-2011/

It was £1000+ for a day or so but it's been now nearly 2 weeks at around £990 could be the reason.

Neither has POG done a lot in NZ and Aussie dollars over the past couple of years due to these currencies strengthening in parallel with gold [the big move up was a few years back]. The massive explosive gains in gold, as priced in those currencies, will be made when the "risk off" de-leveraging trade re-emerges once again, and they crater relative to the dollar and gold.

Price in NZD is around 1850 with NZD at 0.87 against the dollar [and climbing towards parity]. With NZD at say back down to 0.50, the NZD price of gold could explode upwards over-night to north of $3000. Shame I got no NZD..... I hear Aliveandkicking has though.... now's your chance AAK! :D

Neither has POG done a lot in NZ and Aussie dollars over the past couple of years due to these currencies strengthening in parallel with gold [the big move up was a few years back]. The massive explosive gains in gold, as priced in those currencies, will be made when the "risk off" de-leveraging trade re-emerges once again, and they crater relative to the dollar and gold.

Price in NZD is around 1850 with NZD at 0.87 against the dollar [and climbing towards parity]. With NZD at say back down to 0.50, the NZD price of gold could explode upwards over-night to north of $3000. Shame I got no NZD..... I hear Aliveandkicking has though.... now's your chance AAK! :D

The progress in GBP has been much steadier than in USD, NZD or AUD, I haven't been tested by anything like a 25% fall yet.

The progress in GBP has been much steadier than in USD, NZD or AUD, I haven't been tested by anything like a 25% fall yet.

My brother-in-law bought a few years ago right when the kiwi was cratering. In NZD, the price was 1800 [near 2000 by the time he paid the premium for bullion]. The price of gold then cratered as the Kiwi strengthened. He has only now got back to his original buying position.... not sure if I'm back in his good books quite yet. :lol:

My brother-in-law bought a few years ago right when the kiwi was cratering. In NZD, the price was 1800 [near 2000 by the time he paid the premium for bullion]. The price of gold then cratered as the Kiwi strengthened. He has only now got back to his original buying position.... not sure if I'm back in his good books quite yet. :lol:

I told my brother when gold was £360 - he did not take notice, later I told my dad he thought I was being reckless and he has ever since been politely asking me about my plan to exit and that's in spite of the fact his shares have gone nowhere and gold has more than doubled.

I avoid discussion on gold or investing now, the reasons for holding gold now are too complex to get over easily to someone who is not interested in the first place.

I told my brother when gold was £360 - he did not take notice, later I told my dad he thought I was being reckless and he has ever since been politely asking me about my plan to exit and that's in spite of the fact his shares have gone nowhere and gold has more than doubled.

I avoid discussion on gold or investing now, the reasons for holding gold now are too complex to get over easily to someone who is not interested in the first place.

Yep, it's a toughie. Because most are unsure of gold, I stress the need to be liquid.... in the strongest currencies. Under the guise of diversity, gold can then be sold to them....and dare I say the reserve currency [keeping in mind that those I know if they are liquid at all, only have Kiwi dollars].

So true.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

One of the few friends of mine who know I own gold brought the subject up in conversion yesterday, completely unprompted. Don't think he was too happy when I told him that his interest was one of my indicators that a correction was due.

He was intrigued by the method, so I told him that he was only a correction indicator and, unlike others, he was not a 'begin selling' or 'final top' indicator. Then I realised I'd said too much already and had to find an excuse to leave. :lol:

It's like the matrix - you can't save those wired in to the system, but they can still be useful.

Please :unsure:

Last reasonable excuse for a good correction is August 2nd Deadline.

But i wont hold my breath.

i feel partly the opposite. it will have most of the globe running for cover and the only real cover at the moment globally is GLD. this is one of the key moments i have been waiting 6 years for.

if america is struggling to repay $14 trillion, or needing to address it. what will happen to our £8.4 trillion ? where does that stand the £ against GLD

there may possibly be an excellent very short term 'shock' dip as the dollar gains if a deal is reached, thats the time to buy in with your £s. (if it happens, but i feel it wont) because we know it, and they know that the next institution on the block is the BoE and the £ and we have the same debt but with micro exports in comparison.

its going to be a turkey shoot late august.

if there is a dip mon/tues/weds. get in fast and hold.

I'm quite sure 'they' will have a go at knocking it down to make the $ look good and to frighten potential buyers back to the safety of the Dollar.

(It's not easy trying to keep a straight face when using 'safety' and 'dollar' in the same sentence...:lol:)

NEVER EVER ?

Lessons for the brain-dead ?

UShousing.png

Since the housing bust began, the average U.S. home has lost better than 70% of its value in gold. It’s dropped nearly 80% since the gold-market found its own floor back in the early spring of 2001.

/more http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2011/07/27/is-it-time-to-trade-pricey-gold-bars-for-cheap-houses/

"Never ever ever ... sell your Gold !" says Robert Ian on this weekend's Goldseek Radio

I think i heard something similar about Silver, right near the top.

NEVER EVER ?

"Never ever ever ... sell your Gold !" says Robert Ian

Dammit! Either he's worked out how to take it with him,

or he has fine-tuned his ascension technique so he can reliably come & go as he pleases.

Dammit! Either he's worked out how to take it with him,

or he has fine-tuned his ascension technique so he can reliably come & go as he pleases.

LOL

I think he reckons he will live forever.

Perhaps he plans to "extend his time" through some strange Cryogenic process.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=15122

''Since the housing bust began, the average U.S. home has lost better than 70% of its value in gold. It’s dropped nearly 80% since the gold-market found its own floor back in the early spring of 2001.''

But not at 'rock bottom prices just yet'. This despite house sizes doubling.

71oz in 1934, 77 in 1980, and in 2011, 103oz. Definately viewing time and low offers for the US. Wish it was so for the UK. Will it ever be...? I suppose we are 73% off in gold in the UK and bugger all nominal discount.

Does it look good to be buying a house now though? Mybe gold has a while to run.

''Since the housing bust began, the average U.S. home has lost better than 70% of its value in gold. It’s dropped nearly 80% since the gold-market found its own floor back in the early spring of 2001.''

But not at 'rock bottom prices just yet'. This despite house sizes doubling.

71oz in 1934, 77 in 1980, and in 2011, 103oz. Definately viewing time and low offers for the US. Wish it was so for the UK. Will it ever be...? I suppose we are 73% off in gold in the UK and bugger all nominal discount.

Does it look good to be buying a house now though? Mybe gold has a while to run.

I have seen some nice reductions but houses here in UK are still ridiculously over priced relative to earnings as you can see from this chart

latest-house-price-earnings.jpg

Houses are still overpriced relative to gold, but its getting closer to fair value...Gold-House-ratio-lowest-since-1987.png

I have seen some nice reductions but houses here in UK are still ridiculously over priced relative to earnings as you can see from this chart.

Houses are still overpriced relative to gold, but its getting closer to fair value...

After all those rises we're still roughly at a house price /gold 2 for 1 deal. IMO this crisis is far bigger than anything we saw in the 70s or 80s, so I'd like to think the lows on the ratio will be taken out.

Anyway, here's another article from the gold experts in the MSM. Nice to see her immediately lay her cards on the table with the 'fact' that oil prices are unsustainable at $120.

I can't believe she gets paid to write this stuff.