What I wonder is, if Gold does go to $10,000 an ounce, how will people with gold be better off? What can a normal person realistically do with gold other than wait until things normalise again and then sell it for the new currency that comes in?

Exchange it for a house, land, a farm, a gold plated speedboat (my personal choice), whatever. It will give you a hell of a lot more options than a load of banknotes (paper or digital) will.

I do buy into the idea that there will be heavy capital gains taxes levied, but the preceding collapse will also deeply impair the ability of the authorities to collect them.

Black markets aren't the dishonest thieving pits people make them out to be, otherwise people wouldn't use them and they would never become established in the first place. Those who think otherwise have swallowed the statist propaganda hook line and sinker. After all, no one can safely run a market but the state, right? <_<

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

ATTENTION: Due to the uncertainty in the Global Precious Metals markets, we will not be able to accept any additional orders until the global markets reopen in Asia. We expect to be accepting orders around 6:15pm ET Sunday August 7th.

Bruhahah. Will it be $500 up (desperate Asians), or $50 down (desperate/ridiculous CBs/shorts)? :) Now I'll have to stay awake. But with Tim Butcher's "Blood River" as a read and my own fond memories of a trip into the heart of darkness, it'll be no long wait. Oh, and I need to watch that Sinclair video of course. Got to get my tea too.

Bruhahah. Will it be $500 up (desperate Asians), or $50 down (desperate/ridiculous CBs/shorts)? :) Now I'll have to stay awake. But with Tim Butcher's "Blood River" as a read and my own fond memories of a trip into the heart of darkness, it'll be no long wait. Oh, and I need to watch that Sinclair video of course. Got to get my tea too.

Looks like all the online PM dealers are on lock down.

Edit: So for a short period of time, physical is not available at any price!

Edit: So for a short period of time, physical is not available at any price!

CID quoting $1,610 to $1,810 spread for Buffalos.

Not tried to purchase - saying "delivery delays likely"...

At times like this I start to wonder whether I've done enough to protect my family (especially living just down the road from Tottenham!)

I can't at all confirm this, because I haven't tried to buy any recently, but a relative told me the same about German dealers today.

EDIT: But when I look at dealers' front pages, everything seems normal.

Recent differences between silver and gold are interesting. Gold spiking up here on debt concerns, whereas silver spiked up more on inflation concerns. Distinct concerns reflecting the currency and commodity component of each perhaps [which may over-lap of course]?

Another family member is thinking of buying. Crazy thing is if she buys [without paying the bullion premium] she will be buying at the same price as those who bought 3 years ago. This is beacuse she's buying in Kiwi dollars, and those who bought in the deleveraging scare of '08 bought with a hugely weakened kiwi dollar. How's that for currency volatility.....

that's based on what?

On the following sentence, which was:

"Distinct concerns reflecting the currency and commodity component of each perhaps [which may over-lap of course]?".

Just a thought with a question mark. Interesting that silver is presently around 38, don't you think?

<said in a Swiss accent>, "they (he) will print and print and print".

I am thinking an Asian bolthole might be a good idea....

I started saving money for one in Malaysia.

But have only converted enough to pay for 25% so far

Let's see if we get that Dollar short squeeze I have mentioned

I'm inclined to think we are near the bottom in home prices. They could spike down to 70 or 50 ounces but anything more is getting into rare/unprecedented territory.

Meaning nominal prices have bottomed but against a possible doubling of gold, real estate may well yet halve?

This is much as I am expecting for the UK, though I'd like to see nominal prices down 15-20% too.

Gold in yen is still a way off her old highs. So plenty of room for gold to rise here.

Good luck!

What I wonder is, if Gold does go to $10,000 an ounce, how will people with gold be better off? What can a normal person realistically do with gold other than wait until things normalise again and then sell it for the new currency that comes in?

Cross that bridge when it comes, I guess.

Dont know if this has been posted elsewhere.....

Jim Rogers: Stop Buying Gold; Buy Agriculture Stocks

Robert Zurrer

August 5, 2011

Jim Rogers is good at what he does. Really good. This masterful investor co-founded with George Soros the Quantum Fund. A fund that posted astonishing returns of 4200% in 10 years, over the same period the S&P gained a mere 47%. Rogers retired 31 years ago in 1980 at the age of 37, but is still active as a private investor.

Clearly one of the most successful investors of all-time, Rogers buys value. Accordingly, in 1999, he predicted a "Supercycle" commodity bull market, raw material prices advancing for longer than in any previous uptrend led by gold and silver. At that time, gold was trading near its low at $252, the lowest real price in nearly a 100 years, and silver at $4, the lowest real price in 5000 years.

Click on the chart "The real price of gold 1344-1988" for a larger image.

With gold up 650% from its lows and silver with an even greater gain - obviously Rogers was right.

Rogers has stopped buying gold now. "I wouldn't buy more gold and silver right now" "I don't like to jump on a moving bus". That doesn't mean Rogers is selling, he still believes that "gold is certainly going to go to $2,000 over the years; it looks like it's going to go much higher during the course of the bull market.". Even after soaring to an all-time high of $1678.25 on August 4th, 2011, Rogers thinks "gold prices are not in a bubble because not everyone is buying yet". Right now Rogers is moving towards a greater commodity opportunity that he thinks offers the same kind of values that gold and silver did a decade ago.

Agriculture: The Next Big Bull Market

Consistent with his devotion to buying undervalued assets, he now sees the same quality of values in agriculture that he saw in gold and silver. No, he's not selling his gold and silver, but he is predicting that:

Agriculture prices are still, on a historic basis, extremely depressed, and in my view I'll probably make more money in agriculture than other things.

Rogers thinks that the current commodities supercycle will last for 20 to 25 years, a view supported by the research of Chris Watling of Longview Economics. Whatling traced secular bull cycles back to 1750 and identified that commodity super cycles last 20 to 25 years. As this commodity bull started in 2000, if Whatling and Rogers are correct, this bull will run higher until 2020-2025.

In short, if you missed buying gold and silver at extremely depressed levels, if you missed participating in what Peter Grandich calls The Mother of all Bull Markets, Rogers thinks you have another great chance to buy into an imminent bull market at great value:

It's about demand and low historical prices. Rogers said:

If the fundamentals weren't right the price would not go up. Many people invested in commodities in the 1980s and 90s and didn't make any money because the fundamentals were bad, now people are investing and making money because the fundamentals are good.

There is a powerful underlying demand for food. When food prices surged in 2007 millions went hungry, and there were riots from Egypt to Haiti and Cameroon to Bangladesh. Rioting calmed down in 2008 when prices dropped, but starting at the beginning of 2009 they’ve been going up and Rogers expects "more turmoil, but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly because food prices are somewhat depressed". Clearly a bull market rise from current levels will cause even more starvation, riots and urgent demand.

The FAO Food Price Index measures the prices of Dairy, Oils & Fats, Cereals Sugar & Meat.

On the longer term chart, real food prices were more expensive in 1917 than they are here today. Demand is there. Agriculture will be "wildly exciting" as global food shortages worsen, according to Rogers. "You pick an agriculture product and I'll say buy it," he said. Shortages are showing up right now as the world population has more than doubled from 3 billion in 1960 while the amount of arable farmland has been decreasing. If the world population rises from its current 6.8 billion to 9.1 billion by 2050 as the United Nations forecasts, a lot of people are going to be scrambling for food.

Click on the 1900-2008 FAO Food Chart for a Larger Image

What to Invest in to Take Advantage

Good advice from Daniel Keirnan in his article "Farmland Investment, the next big Portfolio":

The question is what are the best ways for making money from the agricultural sector? One way is to invest directly into agriculture stocks such as farm equipment maker John Deere (DE), global seed giant Monsanto (MON) or fertilizer company Potash Corp of Saskatchewan (POT).

Another method is to invest in agricultural futures through Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) such as AIGA on the London Stock Exchange or DBC in the US which tracks an entire basket of agricultural commodities including corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, sugar, coffee, cattle and pigs. These commodities ETFs try to track the spot price of the various commodities they include.

The advantage of these stocks or ETFs is that they are easily trade-able by anyone who has an online brokerage account. The disadvantage, however, is that they are still financial instruments, and as such can fluctuate widely in price.

One option most individual investors tend to overlook is direct investment in farmland. In many ways, a farmland investment is more secure, stable and tangible then putting money into stocks.

Farmland investments for individuals will pay a regular yearly dividend from the sale of crops, and also provide the opportunity for long-term capital gains as farmland increases in value during a bull market in food.

Don't buy gold now. Rogers says food and agriculture are great values and will be the next big demand driven bull market.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/285115-jim-rogers-stop-buying-gold-buy-agriculture-stocks

Dont know if this has been posted elsewhere.....

Jim Rogers: Stop Buying Gold; Buy Agriculture Stocks

Robert Zurrer

August 5, 2011

Jim Rogers is good at what he does. Really good. This masterful investor co-founded with George Soros the Quantum Fund. A fund that posted astonishing returns of 4200% in 10 years, over the same period the S&P gained a mere 47%. Rogers retired 31 years ago in 1980 at the age of 37, but is still active as a private investor.

Clearly one of the most successful investors of all-time, Rogers buys value. Accordingly, in 1999, he predicted a "Supercycle" commodity bull market, raw material prices advancing for longer than in any previous uptrend led by gold and silver. At that time, gold was trading near its low at $252, the lowest real price in nearly a 100 years, and silver at $4, the lowest real price in 5000 years.

Click on the chart "The real price of gold 1344-1988" for a larger image.

With gold up 650% from its lows and silver with an even greater gain - obviously Rogers was right.

Rogers has stopped buying gold now. "I wouldn't buy more gold and silver right now" "I don't like to jump on a moving bus". That doesn't mean Rogers is selling, he still believes that "gold is certainly going to go to $2,000 over the years; it looks like it's going to go much higher during the course of the bull market.". Even after soaring to an all-time high of $1678.25 on August 4th, 2011, Rogers thinks "gold prices are not in a bubble because not everyone is buying yet". Right now Rogers is moving towards a greater commodity opportunity that he thinks offers the same kind of values that gold and silver did a decade ago.

Agriculture: The Next Big Bull Market

Consistent with his devotion to buying undervalued assets, he now sees the same quality of values in agriculture that he saw in gold and silver. No, he's not selling his gold and silver, but he is predicting that:

Agriculture prices are still, on a historic basis, extremely depressed, and in my view I'll probably make more money in agriculture than other things.

Rogers thinks that the current commodities supercycle will last for 20 to 25 years, a view supported by the research of Chris Watling of Longview Economics. Whatling traced secular bull cycles back to 1750 and identified that commodity super cycles last 20 to 25 years. As this commodity bull started in 2000, if Whatling and Rogers are correct, this bull will run higher until 2020-2025.

In short, if you missed buying gold and silver at extremely depressed levels, if you missed participating in what Peter Grandich calls The Mother of all Bull Markets, Rogers thinks you have another great chance to buy into an imminent bull market at great value:

It's about demand and low historical prices. Rogers said:

If the fundamentals weren't right the price would not go up. Many people invested in commodities in the 1980s and 90s and didn't make any money because the fundamentals were bad, now people are investing and making money because the fundamentals are good.

There is a powerful underlying demand for food. When food prices surged in 2007 millions went hungry, and there were riots from Egypt to Haiti and Cameroon to Bangladesh. Rioting calmed down in 2008 when prices dropped, but starting at the beginning of 2009 they’ve been going up and Rogers expects "more turmoil, but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly because food prices are somewhat depressed". Clearly a bull market rise from current levels will cause even more starvation, riots and urgent demand.

The FAO Food Price Index measures the prices of Dairy, Oils & Fats, Cereals Sugar & Meat.

On the longer term chart, real food prices were more expensive in 1917 than they are here today. Demand is there. Agriculture will be "wildly exciting" as global food shortages worsen, according to Rogers. "You pick an agriculture product and I'll say buy it," he said. Shortages are showing up right now as the world population has more than doubled from 3 billion in 1960 while the amount of arable farmland has been decreasing. If the world population rises from its current 6.8 billion to 9.1 billion by 2050 as the United Nations forecasts, a lot of people are going to be scrambling for food.

Click on the 1900-2008 FAO Food Chart for a Larger Image

What to Invest in to Take Advantage

Good advice from Daniel Keirnan in his article "Farmland Investment, the next big Portfolio":

The question is what are the best ways for making money from the agricultural sector? One way is to invest directly into agriculture stocks such as farm equipment maker John Deere (DE), global seed giant Monsanto (MON) or fertilizer company Potash Corp of Saskatchewan (POT).

Another method is to invest in agricultural futures through Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) such as AIGA on the London Stock Exchange or DBC in the US which tracks an entire basket of agricultural commodities including corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, sugar, coffee, cattle and pigs. These commodities ETFs try to track the spot price of the various commodities they include.

The advantage of these stocks or ETFs is that they are easily trade-able by anyone who has an online brokerage account. The disadvantage, however, is that they are still financial instruments, and as such can fluctuate widely in price.

One option most individual investors tend to overlook is direct investment in farmland. In many ways, a farmland investment is more secure, stable and tangible then putting money into stocks.

Farmland investments for individuals will pay a regular yearly dividend from the sale of crops, and also provide the opportunity for long-term capital gains as farmland increases in value during a bull market in food.

Don't buy gold now. Rogers says food and agriculture are great values and will be the next big demand driven bull market.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/285115-jim-rogers-stop-buying-gold-buy-agriculture-stocks

What a crock of sh*t.

Get as much physical metal as your fiat can buy,I say dont touch PAPER anything.Think about physical land like a small holding,but right now all the bells are ringing purchase physical metal.