Can someone help me with a chart of gold in £ from 1900?

Thanks in advance

I think I could produce one from 1952 on, but not earlier. On the other hand, I haven't seriously looked for data. Might be somewhat tedious to do.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

It seems like Bernanke's speech halted the recent uprise in the gold price. Won't be long before the next spike though :rolleyes:

Goldfinger did you get my private message? If your not interested thats fine I'll just invite you once I have a good community going as at that point you'll probably want to join anyway :)

BV seems fine also but I worry about the fact that selling the gold would require the funds to pass through another financial institution, as with goldmoney.

I'd use BV or goldmoney just to kind of quickly trade in and out but I prefer to actually own the stuff directly.

BV and GoldMoney let you own the gold directly/allocated. I.e. there is no credit risk for you. If they go bankrupt, the gold is still yours. However, if you sell the stuff, it must funnel through the bankings system on the way to you. You only want to do that in a stable environment. Otherwise you leave your gold better where it is at the time.

Well, it was the one thing that kept the site really interesting for me, but only with it in the main forum. Otherwise I can as well post here on a gold thread, and have a more peaceful life since I don't have to respond to all those 'useless relic' etc. kind of posts.

It got really scary when they instantly removed all my posts, locked all threads and even deleted all my PMs!!! I did not offend anyone! I used no 4-letter words. Nothing. Still, full force Gestapo methods were applied.

EDIT: People can not even send me PMs over there anymore. This is just so ridiculous. Why are they so afraid of me? :rolleyes::)

they are afraid you'll bring everyone over here

game set and match to GF :lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems like Bernanke's speech halted the recent uprise in the gold price. Won't be long before the next spike though :)

Goldfinger did you get my private message? If your not interested thats fine I'll just invite you once I have a good community going as at that point you'll probably want to join anyway :lol:

Yes, thanks for the message, and I'd definitely have a look around on such a site. Another poster has pointed out that the profits in such businesses like HPC are possibly rather small. I don't know anything about it. But I must admit I also have never clicked on any of the ad banners. :rolleyes:

BV seems fine also but I worry about the fact that selling the gold would require the funds to pass through another financial institution, as with goldmoney.

I'd use BV or goldmoney just to kind of quickly trade in and out but I prefer to actually own the stuff directly.

I like the Gold ETF's for part of my bullion investment. They can be held in an ISA or a SIPP thereby avoiding CGT. However, they might be vulnerable in a severe financial meltdown. If things start to get out of hand, these will be the first things that I sell.

It's great that the gold thread has found a new home. I don't think that it will be long before the number og 'gold thread posts' on here exceed the number on HPC.

Yes, thanks for the message, and I'd definitely have a look around on such a site. Another poster has pointed out that the profits in such businesses like HPC are possibly rather small. I don't know anything about it. But I must admit I also have never clicked on any of the ad banners. :)

Me neither, it's usually lurkers that click in my experience. Your average poster won't have a clue about how good the profits are (no offense) but being in the internet marketing game already I know for a fact they are very good in the finance niche. When the sites finished I'll show you, i'll be farming all the good thread topic ideas from HPC which should give visitors a lot of encouragement to sign up on top of the encouragement of gold rocketing in price :rolleyes:

To be honest I was probably being a little too generous with my offer but thats only because I have more interest in making the community than I do in making the money, thats not to say there's not a lot of money to be made I just have another site idea (think Youtube, Google etc) which could go so big that money is no longer a big issue in my life. If you joined me now or joined me down the line at some point I'd also make you a moderator if you wanted.

Goldfinger you have to admit, you are a posting machine! Surely you realise thats a skill in itself :lol:

Evening all see the Kindergarden Gang are all having fun over on the Dark Side what are they going to do now! pick on Wheatbugs Oilbugs Soyabugs now lets see they never responded to any of those posts anyway but anything Golden drew them in like a magnet they are already scratching their eyes out with boredum they have no "victims" left. :)

Anyone else been buying today :rolleyes:

I like the Gold ETF's for part of my bullion investment. They can be held in an ISA or a SIPP thereby avoiding CGT. However, they might be vulnerable in a severe financial meltdown. If things start to get out of hand, these will be the first things that I sell.

It's great that the gold thread has found a new home. I don't think that it will be long before the number og 'gold thread posts' on here exceed the number on HPC.

Isn't BullionVault approved for SIPPs as well? I think I have read that. And GoldMoney is at least seeking fro some US approval, maybe they try and get some British approval as well.

Meanwhile, Goldman Sachs analysts issued a note saying a modeling miscalculation led it to overestimate its profit forecast for Citi.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080304/citigroup.html

Morons. Even I could have told them that. :rolleyes:

EDITed to add:

"Not only do they need to raise more money, but they should've suspended their dividend six months ago," said Christopher Whalen, managing director of consulting firm Institutional Risk Analytics. "They're trying to do this in bite-size pieces. But everyone's still waiting for the other shoe to drop."

Also this is just stating the bleeding obvious. What do these people get paid for?

To be fair, RB has never had much credibility.. even with the hardcore deflationistas. :)

His anti gold rhetoric is the stuff of legends. Remember the arguement that gold could be produced by scientists?

Oh and not to mention his endless love of anything Warren Buffet. :rolleyes:

2 of the top four threads on HPC are about Gold, one of which is Converted Lurker whining that the Gold thread has been shifted.

(Stifles titter).

Edit: Buy now folks, the RB Contraroboost is in. It will be back at $985 in no time now.

Evening all see the Kindergarden Gang are all having fun over on the Dark Side what are they going to do now! pick on Wheatbugs Oilbugs Soyabugs now lets see they never responded to any of those posts anyway but anything Golden drew them in like a magnet they are already scratching their eyes out with boredum they have no "victims" left. :lol:

Anyone else been buying today :)

LOL, I noticed that too, and STC must be the most obnoxious poster ever - they're like a sackful of snakes. :rolleyes:

Since we all love Realistbear I thought I'd share this reply I made to him on HPC to possibly the silliest thread he's ever made.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=69915

Will be interesting to see his response :rolleyes: Or maybe not as he never listens to anyone anyway.

I had a good old belly laugh today at his mangled 'logic' - he hasn't got a freaking clue.

2 of the top four threads on HPC are about Gold, one of which is Converted Lurker whining that the Gold thread has been shifted.

(Stifles titter).

Edit: Buy now folks, the RB Contraroboost is in. It will be back at $985 in no time now.

Could this be a gigantic 'V' in the forming? :rolleyes:

post-1591-1204676882_thumb.png

LOL, I noticed that too, and STC must be the most obnoxious poster ever - they're like a sackful of snakes. :lol:

She is well titled so aggressive! :)

Moving on Dr.Marc Faber latest 5min interview interview on CNBC 03/03.He is buying shares in "South African gold miners because of what they have in the ground."

(Did you know he learned English picking potatoes in England as a student.)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=671495486&play=1

Could this be a gigantic 'V' in the forming? smile.gif

I didn't buy that much ! :rolleyes:

Thanks #7334 post is what I was looking for. I didnt think much of the parabolic graph a few posts before it- ? Cannot be correct...

Yeah, GF had a funny comment about that one: information content about zero. :rolleyes:

I don't know the source data of those graphs. Maybe the London fix.

Notice the gold price increases in the 30s. Repeatedly over at hpc people would make comments to imply that deflation is bad for gold. I've never understood why some people imagine that. Anybody have thoughts on this matter?

See if I can drum up some business for GATA

here is the start of the daily PM newsletter

March 4 – Gold $964 down $15.50 – Silver $19.74 down 32 cents

PPT’s Carnival Barker Charlie Gasparino Does It Again

"How fortunate for governments that people do not think." … Adolf Hitler

Go GATA!

Right on cue. With Fed Chairman Bernanke sounding more panicky by the DAY (see below), the PPT was forced to hold off with their stock market prop until late in the day, so Plan B was implemented early to calm down growing fears. With the DOW (a widely watch barometer of US financial market health) under severe pressure, The Gold Cartel went into action to bury the most widely watched barometer of negative US financial market health (gold).

These sad sack souls didn’t even take the time to bother taking the dollar up this time. They just bombed gold, which, of course, goes against the intuitive nature of what is transpiring in the real world and other financial markets.

And that was BEFORE The Gold Cartel really leaned on gold.

The Gold Cartel waited until after the PM Fix, which came in at another new high of $984.75, was over for the day to make their move (a standard ploy). The orchestrated correction is a ZERO surprise as the Europeans have been making noises about intervention for days now. The latest…

Europe raises pressure on U.S. to halt dollar slide

BRUSSELS, March 4 (Reuters) - Worried euro zone policymakers pressured on Washington on Tuesday to do more to halt the dollar's decline, a day after the U.S. currency hit a record low against Europe's single currency.

Guy Quaden, Belgium's representative at the European Central Bank, said in an interview on Belgian radio: "Things are becoming exaggerated".

"It's up to the relevant authorities to assume their responsibilities and particularly for U.S. authorities, who repeat that they are in favour of a strong dollar but who should reaffirm their words," he said.

The Europeans are worried that the slide is getting out of hand after the dollar sank below $1.50 per euro last week. Belgian Finance Minister Didier Reynders, attending a second day of meetings with European colleagues on Tuesday, put it less bluntly than Quaden but the basic message was the same, that Europe was counting on active U.S. help to tackle an issue which makes life harder for euro zone exporters in world markets.

"We are also happy to see the reaction in the U.S. They are also concerned about that. So it may be a first step to a good collaboration between Europe and the U.S. in this field," he told reporters.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon added his voice to the rising chorus ofcomplaint, echoing similar declarations overnight at a Brussels meeting of the euro zone's finance ministers and ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet.

"There is a problem in the relationship between the dollar and the euro," he told French Europe 1 radio, saying exchange rate developments were partly to blame for the rising price of commodities, which from oil to wheat are soaring.

-END-

Yes, there is a problem … the mess created by the Fed, Gold Cartel, PPT and Wall Street. Everywhere you turn here, some entity needs to be bailed out more than the next. It’s called panic, as we are staring at a systemic failure.

The yield on our 2-yr note is collapsing. How can the dollar rally much (without short intervention, doomed to fail) when, despite the rhetoric re the silly Strong Dollar Policy, the US is letting the dollar head for oblivion?…

TREASURIES-2-year note yield falls to lowest since 2004

NEW YORK, March 4 (Reuters) - The two-year Treasury note's yield fell to its lowest since April 2004 on Tuesday as a sharp stock market selloff sent investors scurrying for the safety of short-dated U.S. government paper.

The two-year note's price, which moves inversely to its yield, traded up about 5/32 for a yield of 1.5589 percent , compared with 1.64 percent late on Monday.

-END-

Instead of taking action which will strengthen the dollar down the road, the Fed and Treasury do the opposite with their policies. Nothing ever changes, especially their market rigging program.

This is what grates the GATA camp so much…

*The dollar is lower on the day.

*US Treasury yields are tanking due to investor fears.

*The pundits claim investors are partly running to gold of late as a safe haven play. Yet, just when it ought to rise the most for safe haven reasons, it is slaughtered by The Gold Cartel, BLATANTLY, and the dopes in the gold world say nothing. They make me sick to my stomach, and don’t deserve the respect of a cockroach.