• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

By trying to Beat B&H? That would only bother a cultist, I reckon. Why shouldnt a normal reasonable person what to watch my trading and see how I get on. They might even learn something useful about market timing if they see me getting it right, as I did.

No no, I was just referring to the temporary "beating the crap out of...". Surely that would tickle a bit B&Hers?? (Edit: even non-hardcore ones)

People often use the word cult as a derogatory comment to put down people with different ideas to their own.

The word cult means "new religious movement", this word has been manipulated into a term with negative connotations by the people in power who stand to lose their power to the new cult. A new religious movement is seen as a negative from the established priests and

Clergy as it is a direct attack on their power base, so it is in their interest to distort the meaning of the word to cling to their power. So they set about adding extra meaning to the word, and have done a good job. Most people are now terrified when they hear the word "cult", it sends a shiver down their spine.

It is quite obvious that the old religious movements are 100% correct and have no flaws in their positions, there is no room for improvement on the old ideas, anyone who comes along with new ideas must have his character slurred with phrases that inspire negativity. Cults are to be feared and not engaged with, they are dangerous, they believe something different to the masses. The words cult has been distorted by the religious leaders to deter people from leaving their flock and listening to the new kid on the block. All the existing religious movements, by definition, must all have been cults at one time.

Other words have similarly been slurred in the same way, Anarchy means "without government" so it is clearly in the interest of t government to skew the meaning of this word. Anarchy does not mean lawlessness, killing, stealing and murder. It means without government but no one seems to remember this. The picture in your mind when some on uses the term Anarchy is of riots and lawlessness, it should be of a world “without government”.

The word has been distorted by the governments to maintain their position of power. Controlled media and power hungry governments have "changed your mind" and made you think these words have a different definition than they do.

It is quite obvious that you are using the term as a derogatory slur at a group of people that have out performed you for the last eleven years, you should show more respect for these people than you do, they have earned it.

I am not talking about 2.74% up moves in one day, I am talking about moves of more than that from low point to high point in one day. Everyone knows there is a 2% rule enforced by the cartel on gold. I also buy a lot of silver and there are many days when the movements are far more than that, over 5% a lot of days.

Next time you see a 2.74% move up coming let me know.

If you can time those you could make a fortune trading options

People often use the word cult as a derogatory comment to put down people with different ideas to their own.

. . .

Cults are to be feared and not engaged with, they are dangerous, they believe something different to the masses. The words cult has been distorted by the religious leaders to deter people from leaving their flock and listening to the new kid on the block. All the existing religious movements, by definition, must all have been cults at one time.

It wasnt it who (first) applied this term to Gold Bugs, it came from the Screwtape thread - see above.

I merely agreed that the behavior of some our posters fit the definitions.

Are they dangerous?

If they are a cult, they are a mostly friendly cult. The biggest danger they present may be to their own wealth, and so long as gold stays in a bull market, they will be okay.

Bubb, your behaving like a troll.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

I suggest its just to provoke a reaction to drum up more activity on your site.

Being fair is something I pride myself on... I agree nothing is guaranteed, however I've spent an enormous amount of time researching the financial crisis and I believe I know how this will unfold. Should the situation change, then so will my opinion of what constitutes being prepared.

Hedging all possible scenarios using tools from a broken financial system is not my idea of being prepared, it seems like denial. Likewise, relying on ETF's/options/puts/derivatives is also putting all of your eggs in one paper basket as far as I can see. I believe the system will blow up and people who have taken refuge in physical gold investments will be protected and possibly rewarded. I don't have the time to be a trader, my job, Mrs warpig and little warpig are very demanding of my time, which is why buying and holding physical gold is the perfect investment choice for me. I suspect you'll find it's the same for the majority of readers of this thread.

You're being unfair, warpig. Whatever Bubb may in essence say, is to be prepared. The "method" is just not to put all your eggs in the same basket.

As far as I know, the current paper trading system didn't blow up and is not 100% guaranteed to.

As far as I know, the gold isn't 100% sure of losing its intrinsic value wrt fiat money.

We may see either, or a range of possibility in between.

I think owning physical and paper counterparts to hedge their value *in case* doesn't mean you sell all your physical (in fact it's up to you as to how much you want to retain). And it could mean you can get more physical as you build up. And either way it goes, you can retain some of the benefit. But that's just my view, and I think DrBubb to have opened my mind to these tools.

By going 100% one direction, you take a gamble. You may be right. Or not.

DrBubb warns you take risks.

People take offense at the "evil trader" who uses the corrupted system.

DrBubb also sometimes gets a bit "enthusiastic" and provokes ;) (cf. renaming beating buy and hold thread)

DrBubb also has a view that could be disconnected from our realities. In fact, we all have a different experience of life and have different needs. Pure B&H for some, pure trading for others, and a mix of those to those who think it makes sense....

Gold can get overvalued as a commodity, and it can also get overvalued as a currency.

We should look at it both ways - maybe there will be times where's it usefulness as a currency allows it to stay overvalued as a commodity for a long time, but I may not welcome that day... as much as some of the Buy-and-hold Gold bulls may.

Here's your potential problem [and my prediction]. Say commodities stay volatile and choppy against the dollar over the next few years. And in turn gold continues to appreciate at 20% odd annually against the dollar as it has been doing. You'll tend to see gold getting very "over-valued" against commodities. Actually, what's happening is gold is appreciating, being monetized informally by the market.

What will I thne use as a store of value?

In a hyper-deflation, gold has to be the measure of value as national currencies slowly depreciate relative to it. This is no doubt due to the problematic nature of "balance-sheet" currencies today, where governments attempt to off-set a debt deflation.

Let's be honest about this:

The Gold cultists are not thinking of Gold as a "safe place to store wealth." Most want and expect their gold holdings to GAIN in spending value over time. You can see this in the brief discussion that I had with Romans Holiday and others just above (posts#28,502 - 28,514.) He is not content that Gold holds its own against the CRB index, and against Home prices etc. He wants to see Gold go on rising against those other measures of wealth. He wants to see gold valued as a currency (where the sky is the limit), rather than against other commodities.

No, you have this quite wrong. You need to draw an significant distinction between gold bugs and gold bulls. I am presently a gold bull, and think gold is in a bull market. I do not think the "sky is the limit" as am not a hyper-inflationist, or a gold bug. I have been predicting for years that gold would steadily appreciate year on year at the rate of 20% odd. This prediction has been well-corroborated so far by the market. I don't not want to get something for nothing, but rather want to purchase property for a just price. At the moment property is wickedly over-inflated and has seen populations sell themselves into debt slavery. The reason for gold appreciating against all currencies, and doubly against assets, is that the market is recognizing it as an alternative currency.

Do you read my posts?? Have to wonder when I get lumped in with the "gold cultists". I think my position is perfectly rational. :lol:

I think that my postings, and those of others like RH, are sensible and rational, but they are not treated that way by the Gold Purists. The Purists got very upset merely by the PRESENCE of a "Beating Buy and Hold" thread on the Main board. Rather than attracting those who wanted to learn from what I was doing, the thread proved to be a magnet for those who wanted to rubbish the idea of my daring to trade Precious metals. Eventually, I gave up, and moved the thread elsewhere. I also stopped updating it every week. Over 6-9 months, I believe I proved someone with a technical system could beat buy and hold by spotting trading windows, even when I stuck to a strong Long bias.

OK, I retract my previous statement after reading this later post. :)

Then it's crucial we know what your interpretation of a cult is. Am I still allowed to sacrifice virgins over piles of Britannias and brainwash new members with chanting?

I am not trying to convert anyone. If anything the purists are trying to convert me, or at least to shut me up.

I will not allow anyone to turn GEI into a cult website. And, so long as our B&H-friendly members do not behave as a cult, they are safe here, and I am happy to have them.

I have a family of 2 kids under 3 and another on the way. I STRd 2.5 years ago and invested 50% in gold. Working and living in London.

I am very happy with my choice to buy and hold.

I have an extremely demanding day job and can barely keep on top of my basic family commitments let alone spend hours mucking around doing personal trading.

I also happen to work for a major investment bank. There is absolutely no chance in hell that I would hold paper in ant greater proportion than necessary.

When this sucker goes it will go spectacularly quickly. The system will seize up in MINUTES. Everything is on a hair trigger.

The only thing that matters is what you have in your possession right now.

I also happen to work for a major investment bank. ....

When this sucker goes it will go spectacularly quickly. The system will seize up in MINUTES. Everything is on a hair trigger.

Enough time to let your buddies on here know that the BIG ONE has finally arrived. ;)

2.74 percent :o

One thing I don't understand is the insistence that trading is an immensely time consuming activity. It is certainly a very difficult activity, and one that would be made all but impossible if one was paying a 2.74 percent comission but it is certainly not time consuming. I think it would be perfectly possible to trade off the daily charts with just ten minutes analysis a day. One of the recent Frisby's bulls and bears had a story of a trader who spent Saturday mornings doing his analysis and then ignored the market for the rest of the week, that's the kind of trading that I like the sound of.

Anyway, having paid around 5 euros commission I am long at 1714 dollars having watched the price bounce around there the whole day. 1730 looks possible if we get the typical Asian upmove.

For those that do trade Gold, I hope you took some profits in recent days, as I did

Larry Pesevanto:

"I think we have made a very significant high in Gold and Silver... at least for the next few week."

MP3 : http://www.tigeruniversity.com/mp3/TWS020612.mp3

+ The high last Thursday was with $4 of the 61.8% retracement

+ We saw 5 weeks rally, and should now see AT LEAST 2-3 weeks to the downside.

For those that do trade Gold, I hope you took some profits in recent days, as I did

Most often traders have different methods and time-frames. I could have taken a 50% profit on a leveraged silver ETF, but am more interested in the 1600% profit which might come by holding the position a little longer.

Then it's crucial we know what your interpretation of a cult is. Am I still allowed to sacrifice virgins over piles of Britannias and brainwash new members with chanting?

"Am I still allowed to sacrifice virgins over piles of Britannias and brainwash new members with chanting?"

Don't forget to invite all your friends to the party!! :D

Regards

ML

I have a family of 2 kids under 3 and another on the way. I STRd 2.5 years ago and invested 50% in gold. Working and living in London.

I am very happy with my choice to buy and hold.

I have an extremely demanding day job and can barely keep on top of my basic family commitments let alone spend hours mucking around doing personal trading.

I also happen to work for a major investment bank. There is absolutely no chance in hell that I would hold paper in ant greater proportion than necessary.

Post of the month for me !

There is room for trading and holding on this site, the traders are the people running up the prices some win some lose without these traders the price would be static, am personally very happy to let them trade my buy and hold to the moon!!! Some who got out yesterday will chase prices higher in the next few weeks to get back in, I am very happy to watch them chase the BULL RUN.

To be fair to DB he has made some very good calls on market moves but also he has made some poor ones I think it is down to personal peference and available free time and your point of view of risk of etf over held , there is no right and wrong on the matter! :unsure::blink::o

Regards

ML

To be fair to DB he has made some very good calls on market moves but also he has made some poor ones I think it is down to personal peference and available free time and your point of view of risk of etf over held , there is no right and wrong on the matter! :unsure::blink::o

Yes! All of us are right! For different reasons. And with different goals. Okay, let's move on :)

Bubb, your behaving like a troll.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

I suggest its just to provoke a reaction to drum up more activity on your site.

???

It is pretty difficult to be a Troll on my own site, I would have thought.

Keeping GEI free from intense Cult-like behaviour is a worthwhile goal.

Post of the month for me !

There is room for trading and holding on this site, the traders are the people running up the prices some win some lose without these traders the price would be static, am personally very happy to let them trade my buy and hold to the moon!!! Some who got out yesterday will chase prices higher in the next few weeks to get back in, I am very happy to watch them chase the BULL RUN.

Regards

ML

No one is perfect, ML.

When you are trading (or even investing) you are going to get it wrong sometimes,

and the trick is to limit your losses when you are wrong. I generally do that through options.

The next trick is capturing a good profit when you are right, and I sometimes use the "when it doubles, sell half" concept to capturing profits on volatile stocks like mining juniors.

Yes, it does help to have time. But if you have a big enough investment and big money at stake, it would be wise to find the time. Else you may "pull a Bob Chapman" and ride Silver from $20 to $50, then back to under $30. That's quite a ride without putting any profits away.