Buy and hold is fine.

Trading is fine for those experienced to take advantage of the volatility. However, silver and gold stocks

are more suitable for trading purposes due to their higher volatility.

That's a decent point.

Some trade the Gold stocks against Gold too.

But it is true that Gold stocks often LEAD gold up and down, so it is good to follow both.

Hence the new Gold Juniors thread - a companion to the Gold thread

/see: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-GDXJ

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

In Greece, tax authorities started investigating purchases by gold. A list of 600 people are reported

to have bought gold since 2009. In a country of 10000000 , given the peril of the banking system,this does not appear to be a big number. The country if full of pawnbrokers and other shops offering to buy your old jewellry for cash.In my opinion all this is evidence of

1) gold is increasingly treated as a currency not an investment.

2) still a long way from strong public interest, especially given the 170 billion Euros sitting idly on bank

accounts or the 65 billion sent to other countries.

3) exploitation of the desperate state of many families that have seen wages cut or eliminated and taxes

increase.

One of the virtues of gold (silver, too- but less so) is:

GOLD is an ideal store of SECRET WEALTH.

It holds value well, and can be converted into liquidity almost anywhere in the world.

And you can leave in a safe place underground for years, neigh: decades... centuries !

And when you dig it up, it will still have its value unimpaired.

Diamonds work that way too, but valuations move around considerably: Some stones can be in and out of favor.

What other efficient stores of SECRET wealth can you think of ? (genuine question)

hongkongbankonetaelgoldbarrev400.jpg

During the Tang Dynasty, a standard bi-metallic system of silver and copper coinage was codified with 10 silver coins equal to 1,000 copper cash coins. Paper money and bonds were introduced in the 9th century. However, the tael was still the basis of the silver currency and sycee remained in use until the end of the Qing Dynasty. Common weights were 50 taels, 10 taels and 5 down to 1. The word is still in use. In Mainland China and Taiwan it equivalent to 10 ch'ien (?) at 37.5 g. In Hong Kong it is 37.8 g. In Shanghai silver is still traded in taels.

According to dictionary.com, a tael is:

Any of various units of weight used in eastern Asia, roughly equivalent to 38 grams (1 1/3 ounces).

Given this feature, I do think it is possible that Be Fulford is correct, and there are secret and maybe ancient gold resources "held off market in Asia." They might be in some form like ancient Gold bars, where they will have to be melted down and re-assayed before they can get back into the global market.

In the months and years to come, I intend to remain alert to signs that such a thing may be happening.

Joseph Farrell is a former Professor, and a proliferic researcher

He comes up with some fascinating material

(He doesn't use channeling, or have any respect for that approach)

Joseph Comments on recent rumors that Germany may seek to repatriate its gold reserves from the US New York Federal Reserve

3,396 tons of Gold

73% of National FX Reserves

Where did the Gold come from?

Why is it in the US Federal reserve?

Secret store of wealth.

Robberies have increased 700% in the place where I live, since many people have chosen to store their

cash at home. I should therefore also add

DIVERSIFICATION is also important.

I have some physical and use Kitco pool , Bullionvault and PM shares with 3 banks in 2 countries.

Still this may not be enough.

The problem with GDXJ is that it has the habbit to drop below lowest levels that you consider possible

and always after you have bought. What is 'fair' value?

Operation Gold Lilly - Yamashita's Gold

"untold riches buried in the hills of the Philippines"

http://www.rense.com/general13/treasure.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamashita's_gold

Yamashita's treasure existence appears credible. Especially given Rogelio Roxas

lawsuit. Its size remains unknown (perhaps about 10000 tons), perhaps some of it is accounted in official gold reserves.

The rumored sizes seem just incredible, more than the 160,000 tons officially known.

10,000 tons seems much more believable, I agree.

But the rumors do not die.

/see:

What has happened to once a fantastic and wonderful forum?

Bubb as much as some people riled you, you too did not hold your grudges back.

I request you to please reinstate the forum as it was along with the mods, perhaps it will get back to what it was once. I will live in hope.

I am tired of maintaining a website for people who do not appreciate the work I do here.

For my own purposes, a website, without mud being slung constantly at those who do not follow the Gold purist fan club approach will be far more useful to me in my research for investment opportunties.

Over time, we will discover who is really interested in that sort of approach.

Everyone is welcome to post constructive comments - only one Member has been suspended (& then for only 10 days.) But I suspect many are voting for a different sort of website than I intend to run, by voting with their feet. So be it.

/see GEI's New Mission:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=16092

What has happened to once a fantastic and wonderful forum?

Bubb as much as some people riled you, you too did not hold your grudges back.

I request you to please reinstate the forum as it was along with the mods, perhaps it will get back to what it was once. I will live in hope.

I will respond to comments like that on the Gold thread in the Fringe section - Not here.

(I have been holding fire for many months, in fact !

When the circus came to GEI a few years ago, it always seemed a bit of a mixed blessing to me.

Some people did not understand how thorough p-ss-d off I was with the recent mudslinging. 'Nuf said.)

Please ONLY post comments here that relate to the Gold & Currency topics.

Thank you for your understanding everyone.

There's a New "Gold and Currency Thread" there.

And there's an excellent chance that oen will get merged with this one.

Soon. Maybe even as soon as tomorrow.

It depends what the posts look like here and there.

Welcome back, BTW

(We now have 3 fewer Mods, and I will slim down further very soon.)

Why not start a new thread on some subject that really interests you, to show folks you are back.

I’m not really a thread starting sort of guy but I will contribute to other threads… maybe I will start a political thread or something later if I feel there are enough people interested.

But, at the moment, I’m just going to hold back a little to see how phase 2 plays out (adding new moderators)

Another big drop?

Gold down $17 so far.

Where's that fizzling rocket?

One of the virtues of gold (silver, too- but less so) is:

GOLD is an ideal store of SECRET WEALTH.

It holds value well, and can be converted into liquidity almost anywhere in the world.

And you can leave in a safe place underground for years, neigh: decades... centuries !

And when you dig it up, it will still have its value unimpaired.

Diamonds work that way too, but valuations move around considerably: Some stones can be in and out of favor.

What other efficient stores of SECRET wealth can you think of ? (genuine question)

What about Stamps? they can be hold wealth.

I do own some myself. But non of great vaule.

Sure - Like any collectible.

I suppose oil paintings are the ultimate collectible, since each one is (or should be) a one-off,

and an artist's particular style may be recognisable to a real expert.

Can anyone else really reproduce Rembrant's brush strokes?

1aMUk6.Em.156.jpg

But if a brilliant 300-year old painting from an unknown artist was discovered in a cave, would it have any large value?

If it is not part of "the artistic conversation" it may have little value. Worth pondering.

Another big drop?

Gold down $17 so far.

Small drops part of the consolidation process. I wouldn't bother commenting on small fluctuations.

Fireworks (upwards) are due in few months. Watch the steady progress of the 200DMA instead.

Small drops part of the consolidation process. I wouldn't bother commenting on small fluctuations.

Fireworks (upwards) are due in few months. Watch the steady progress of the 200DMA instead.

Good idea.

Even so. I have been a follower of the 144d.MA for a long, long time, and GLD is now trading below it :

GLD-Chart

I am waiting to see if it "rolls over" in the days to come.

Good idea.

Even so. I have been a follower of the 144d.MA for a long, long time, and GLD is now trading below it :

GLD-Chart

I am waiting to see if it "rolls over" in the days to come.

Am i right in beliveing that people like the 144dma as they can spot the up trend before the 200 dma ?

Am i right in beliveing that people like the 144dma as they can spot the up trend before the 200 dma ?

The pressure seems to be to the downside at the moment, with GLD below the 144d MA

Another big drop?

Gold down $17 so far.

That drop seemed to coincide with the US jobs report. The figures were better than expected and previous figures were revised higher.

Am I right in thinking gold dropped because it meant less chance of an imminent QE3?

That drop seemed to coincide with the US jobs report. The figures were better than expected and previous figures were revised higher.

Am I right in thinking gold dropped because it meant less chance of an imminent QE3?

Yes, that Is my understanding of it. The Gold price does not like good news about people getting jobs and thing getting better.

But the news behind the news is that the FED,BOE,ECB,BOJ are all printing. They are just using different name for it at the moment.

That is how I see it anyway.

Is that why the price keeps going up?

Yes. That gap down had been quickly filled.

A nice bounce, which looks like a C wave to me, if the volume stays light.

It could last into next week, and then fizzle.

If I am wrong, and the volume picks up next week, we could have a nice low in place.

Next week will tell the story, not today, I reckon.

:lol:

Looks like Bubb is after Realistbear's title of 'contra indicator'

Why the hostility?

Look back at my previous threads, and you will see I have a pretty good record,

and have called almost all the major lows. I don't think we are seeing one now.

But the next 2-3 trading sessions should tell us alot.

Do any of you guys use Elliott Waves? If so, look at what an a-b-c up from 5 waves down would mean.