This to me is exploitation - a rentier class. I am not dead-against this, after all I do own some shares, but I do feel that it is somewhat immoral to 'generate' rent by effectively forcing other people to work for you. Partly for this reason, I am happy to keep wealth in gold.

Regarding the fakes issue, it has been dealt with many times, yes it is a risk, but nothing is risk-free (even the "risk-free rate", lol!!). To me , it's about mitigation (e.g. use reputable sources, store it in several places etc.) and due-dilligence.

So long as some people have more capital than others.

Those with capital will consider investing it in ways that the capital-poor are unable to do.

Why not allow them to be free to "Rent" the fruits of their spending to others who have less, or don't want to take the risk of making the required investment

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

This to me is exploitation - a rentier class. I am not dead-against this, after all I do own some shares, but I do feel that it is somewhat immoral to 'generate' rent by effectively forcing other people to work for you. Partly for this reason, I am happy to keep wealth in gold.

Regarding the fakes issue, it has been dealt with many times, yes it is a risk, but nothing is risk-free (even the "risk-free rate", lol!!). To me , it's about mitigation (e.g. use reputable sources, store it in several places etc.) and due-dilligence.

I feel your repugnance at 'making' other humans work for your living because they have no choice.

But but but, this is capitalism.

People who accumulate money, tend to accumulate more. Those who earn and spend, don't.

I feel the same as you, and it is probably why I am still not rich. I really wish I could get over it, but it seems I am past saving.

Every time I see a multi-millionaire government appointed toad trying to sell time with the PM for £250k, I want to vomit on his head.

Oh well. Back to the telly.

I'd like to see the two gold's combined and the silver left to itself.

Okay.

Enough "yeas", and no "neas" - so it is done now !

Just a question, for the physical hoarders, do you have to pay capital gains tax on your holdings?

It depends upon how you hold it. If you have bullion coin and you are required to pay GCT in the UK, then you don't pay CGT on the coins as they are counted as legal tender. If you hold gold in any other form, then you are required to pay CGT.

I feel your repugnance at 'making' other humans work for your living because they have no choice.

But but but, this is capitalism.

People who accumulate money, tend to accumulate more. Those who earn and spend, don't.

I feel the same as you, and it is probably why I am still not rich. I really wish I could get over it, but it seems I am past saving.

Every time I see a multi-millionaire government appointed toad trying to sell time with the PM for £250k, I want to vomit on his head.

Oh well. Back to the telly.

Yes, we live under capitalism, and I think that all in all, it is the best way of efficiently allocating capital and resources (environmentally, it can be a disaster though! Cheap oil makes it sensible to ship cr*p from the other side of the planet to us, only to have it's planned obsolesence kick in after a year or two and we chuck it away :( ). However, I don't like exploiting others. I just generally save in Gold and speculate a bit on the ratios of PMs. I like art and some numismatics, too. I like to think of share capital as money put up at risk to help a growing venture provide jobs or services that didn't exist before. That to me, is ok - just about reconcilable with the exploitation aspect.

Trouble is, working like that your options (pun intended!) are severely limited.

noble1.jpg

It depends upon how you hold it. If you have bullion coin and you are required to pay GCT in the UK, then you don't pay CGT on the coins as they are counted as legal tender. If you hold gold in any other form, then you are required to pay CGT.

AFAIK you only pay when you sell any, less your annual allowance (approx 10k single or 20k joint)

We have entered the most favourable era for gold prices in our lifetime, and the share prices of the great mining companies will eventually outperform bullion prices...central banks are printing money and creating liquidity beyond the forecasts of all but the most paranoid goldbugs a year ago

Don Coxe, Strategy Advisor BMO (Bank of Montreal) Financial Group

coins which are legal tender (sovereigns and britannias) are exempt from CGT - everything else isn't.

Interesting, so you can use these coins to purchase goods say in your local grocer?

I am still investigating our tax regulations relating to hoarding gold.

We have entered the most favourable era for gold prices in our lifetime, and the share prices of the great mining companies will eventually outperform bullion prices...central banks are printing money and creating liquidity beyond the forecasts of all but the most paranoid goldbugs a year ago

Don Coxe, Strategy Advisor BMO (Bank of Montreal) Financial Group

When I hear or read articles or public statements like this, to me it is usually a sign to exit.

When I hear or read articles or public statements like this, to me it is usually a sign to exit.

Usually. But the mining shares are already in the gutter. Although I still have much more faith in bullion than the miners.

In theory and assuming that the grocer will accept them, but the face value of a 1oz Britannia is £100 so it is not sensible to do so.

and sovs are 'worth' one pound, so not a good idea.

of course all the gov has to do to get tax off them is to declare them no longer legal tender but they haven't shown any sign of doing that in the last 100 years so its relatively unlikely imo