• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Nah, just in the doldrums after a spike up. Nothing unexpected.

Yes just the doldrums of a downward trend...Gold futures for June delivery fell 2.1 per cent to settle at $US1604.50 on the Comex, the biggest decline for a most-active contract since April 4. Earlier, the price touched $US1595.50, the lowest since Jan. 4.

I can see why investors are now looking at income producing assets. This buy and hold business does not look very attractive.

Yes just the doldrums of a downward trend...Gold futures for June delivery fell 2.1 per cent to settle at $US1604.50 on the Comex, the biggest decline for a most-active contract since April 4. Earlier, the price touched $US1595.50, the lowest since Jan. 4.

I can see why investors are now looking at income producing assets. This buy and hold business does not look very attractive.

Wasn't long ago that investors were salivating over the prospect of 1650 gold. If you're talking about buy and hold then a decent sized time frame needs to be kept in mind. 20% gains year on year are nothing to be sniffed at.

Wasn't long ago that investors were salivating over the prospect of 1650 gold. If you're talking about buy and hold then a decent sized time frame needs to be kept in mind. 20% gains year on year are nothing to be sniffed at.

Yes certainly, and gold did perform very well indeed, but perhaps that "time frame" of speculative capital gains has left the building as per buy and hold. After all hoarding prevents opportunity for others.

Yes certainly, and gold did perform very well indeed, but perhaps that "time frame" of speculative capital gains has left the building as per buy and hold. After all hoarding prevents opportunity for others.

Don't know about hoarding. See it more as a form of saving... postponing consumption until a more opportune time.

Has anyone kept up with Mr Sinclair's thinking on this price move?

(I wonder of his illuminati friends have turned forced sellers as their alternative sources of cash are closed down.)

Gold falls below long term trend line support

May 8, 2012 at 14:37 GMT

The next support comes in at $1585.50 area where the bottom channel support line is found.\

http://www.forexlive.com/blog/2012/05/08/gold-falls-below-long-term-trend-line-support/

That's one way to draw the chart

FXDD-WINDOW-0850-330x233.jpg

This is from JS's website

clip_image0024.jpg

He expects Gold to bottom when Gold lease rates spike up:

clip_image0041.gif

They may be there with Gold at $1600

/see:

Has anyone kept up with Mr Sinclair's thinking on this price move?

(I wonder of his illuminati friends have turned forced sellers as their alternative sources of cash are closed down.)

Once again, Sinclair is quoting JL on the value of sitting tight in bull markets:

""Well, you know this is a bull market!" he really meant to tell them that the big money was not in the individual fluctuations but in the main movements that is, not in reading the tape but in sizing up the entire market and its trend. And right here let me say one thing: After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!"

Of course, the sitting-tight-maneuver by the Gold cult, allowed the traders who can spot parabolic moves, a nice easy exit around $1900. I wonder if Livermore would have been one of those exiting at $1900 if he had been alive today?

My own trading of options and Bull Spreads has allowed me to re-enter the market with limited risk and at low cost, and still have plenty of cash on the sidelines. Personally, I think if JL were alive today, that's how he would be playing it, not sitting on his hands.

Once again, he is quoting JL on the value of sitting tight in bull markets:

""Well, you know this is a bull market!" he really meant to tell them that the big money was not in the individual fluctuations but in the main movements that is, not in reading the tape but in sizing up the entire market and its trend. And right here let me say one thing: After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!"

Of course, the sitting-tight-maneuver by the Gold cult, allowed the traders who can spot parabolic moves, a nice easy exit around $1900. I wonder if Livermore would have been one of those exiting at $1900 if he had been alive today?

My own trading of options and Bull Spreads has allowed me to re-enter the market with limited risk and at low cost, and still have plenty of cash on the sidelines. Personally, I think if JL were alive today, that's how he would be playing it, not sitting on his hands.

Gold’s weakness was exacerbated by “another one of those tsunamis of selling,” says John Howlett, division vice president with Mitsubishi International. “Supposedly upwards of 14,000 lots of gold were sold in the 5 minutes from 8:20 to 8:25

the above is a comment from zerohedge. Interesting the volume being suddenly sold off.

Gold’s weakness was exacerbated by “another one of those tsunamis of selling,” says John Howlett, division vice president with Mitsubishi International. “Supposedly upwards of 14,000 lots of gold were sold in the 5 minutes from 8:20 to 8:25

the above is a comment from zerohedge. Interesting the volume being suddenly sold off.

Many Stops hit all at once! - Or maybe an Illuminatus dumping some gold (before it goes lower)

to replenish dwindling cash reserves (?) - you know, to pay body guards and private armies.

/ haha - just kidding. But YNK /

Can't add anything especially insightful to the discussion, other than to say someone should plot a chart showing the correlation of downward gold moves to screaming "It's a buying opportunity!" headlines on KWN...

Joking aside, if it makes Sovereigns that little bit cheaper, probably IS a nice time to think about adding to the collection, on the understanding that's all it is, a collection, not some ultra clever market play or somesuch. I just like coins and shiny things :)

Might be more printing on the way ??

======================================

Gross Says QE3 Getting Closer as Goldman Sees Easing

Pacific Investment Management Co.’s Bill Gross and Jan Hatzius at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) say investors should prepare for additional bond purchases by the Federal Reserve to combat a slowing U.S. economy.

A decision to buy more debt is “getting closer,” Gross, who runs Pimco's Total Return Fund, the world’s largest mutual fund, wrote on Twitter yesterday. Hatzius, the chief economist at New York-based Goldman Sachs, predicted in a report the same day that the Fed will announce additional monetary easing when it meets in June.

More at link http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-09/gross-says-qe3-getting-closer-as-goldman-sees-easing.html

"Capital is going to where it's safe, and it hasn't been safe in gold," Frank Lesh, a trader at FuturePath Trading in Chicago, said in a telephone interview. "Currency markets tend to rule in commodities, and right now the (US) dollar is king."

Gold futures for June delivery slid 0.6 per cent to settle at $US1594.20 an ounce on the Comex in New York. Earlier, the metal touched $US1578.50, the lowest since Jan. 3.

Gold is trending downwards, and I do not think this time QE3 will have the same impact as previous. Speculative investing appears to be on the nose. I say this because the investors I deal with want guaranteed returns in lower risk assets.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/gold-drops-to-fourmonth-low-20120510-1ydsr.html#ixzz1uPmGwuOc

Might be more printing on the way ??

======================================

Gross Says QE3 Getting Closer as Goldman Sees Easing

Pacific Investment Management Co.’s Bill Gross and Jan Hatzius at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) say investors should prepare for additional bond purchases by the Federal Reserve to combat a slowing U.S. economy.

A decision to buy more debt is “getting closer,”...

I think you may need to wait a bit longer.

Perhaps an SPX below 1,300 will do it

spxmay9.png

http://www.voiceamerica.com/Show/1501

Jay Taylor interviews Paul Van Eeden 8 May 2012

Topic: Are We Entering a Cyclical Bear Market for Gold?

Paul van Eeden and Jeff Deist, Ron Paul's Chief of Staff, return to the radio program.

The price of gold has risen for 10 straight years. Jim Liles reminded folks at the Wealth Protection Conference last week that no commodity had ever risen 11 years in a row. Might 2012 see the price of gold decline for the first time since 2002?

A few weeks back, Paul van Eeden said his model for valuing gold tells him its real value is only $900/oz. now. We will ask Paul to explain his method for valuing gold. And as one who looks at gold in "real" terms rather than nominal terms, we will ask this very savvy and successful investor what he thinks that will mean for gold mining profits. Also, does a $900 gold price suggest a deflationary scenario?

Jeff Deist will join me to weigh in on the economy, government policy and Ron Paul's enormous but stealth popularity.

Also joining me will be Brian Maher, President & CEO of an emerging Canadian gold producer and sponsor to this show, Prodigy Gold.

Prospectors ready to tap Haiti’s buried gold

9:24 am | Saturday, May 12th, 2012

TROU DU NORD, Haiti —Its capital is blighted with earthquake rubble. Its countryside is shorn of trees, chopped down for fuel. And yet, Haiti’s land may hold the key to relieving centuries of poverty, disaster and disease: There is gold hidden in its hills — and silver and copper, too.

A flurry of exploratory drilling in the past year has found precious metals worth potentially $20 billion deep below the tropical ridges in the country’s northeastern mountains. Now, a mining company is drilling around the clock to determine how to get those metals out.

In neighboring Dominican Republic, workers are poised to start mining the other side of this seam later this year in one of the world’s largest gold deposits: 23 million ounces worth about $40 billion.

Geologists extrapolating from depth and strike reports estimate at least 1 million ounces of gold at two sites. In April, prospectors found the first significant silver ever reported in Haiti: between 20 million and 30 million ounces. And in the end, it may be copper that is the most lucrative: geologists suspect that more than 1 million tons lay in just one of many areas under exploration.

Gold was last gathered in Haiti in the 1500s, after Christopher Columbus ran the Santa Maria onto a Haitian reef. Spaniards enslaved the Arawak Indians to dig for gold, killing them off with harsh conditions and infectious diseases. When the Spaniards learned of even more lucrative deposits in Mexico, they moved on.

In the 1970s, United Nations geologists documented significant pockets of gold and copper, but foreigners weren’t willing to risk their cash in a country where corruption and instability has long discouraged outside investment.

Ironically, it was only after the catastrophic 2010 earthquake that investors saw real opportunity. Fifteen days after a seismic jolt brought down much of Port-au- Prince, a Canadian exploration firm acquired all of the shares of the only Haitian firm holding full permits for a promising chunk of land in the northeast.

“Investors want to get in at the bottom,” said Dan Hachey, president of Majescor Resources, the Canadian company, “and I figured after that earthquake, Haiti was as low as it could get.”

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/192175/prospectors-ready-to-tap-haitis-buried-gold

Daily Digest 5/8 - Geithner Channels Greenspan, Dead Dolphins And Birds Causing Alarm In Peru,

What Is The Limiting Factor?

May 8, 2012, 10:52 am, by DailyDigest

What Is The Limiting Factor?

Return To The Gold Standard?

French Center-Right Assesses Two Unpalatable Paths

Qaeda Plot to Attack Plane Foiled, U.S. Officials Say

Change in Paris May Better Fit U.S. Economic Positions

Bill Black: Geithner Channels Greenspan and Airbrushes Fraud out of our Crises

Japan to seek stable oil supply from Saudi Arabia

Dead Dolphins and Birds Are Causing Alarm in Peru

Once An Urban Landfill, Now A Rowing Paradise

/C-Martensen: http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/daily-digest-58/75275?utm_source=newsletter_2012-05-12&utm_medium=email_newsletter&utm_content=node_title_75275&utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter_70

Bill Black: Geithner Channels Greenspan and Airbrushes Fraud out of our Crises (Jaime)

Three preliminary comments are in order. First, Geithner was selected to be the President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (FRBNY) in 2003. The President of the FRBNY has the second most important position in the Federal Reserve System. It is essential that the FRBNY President study and understand the causes of financial crises. Geithner had ample time and incentive to conduct such a study. Second, no one challenged Geithner when he (implicitly) claimed that fraud was not even worthy of mention or consideration as a contributor to financial crises. Third, even if Geithner were correct that fraud was only a relatively small contributor to the Great Recession that would provide no basis for not prosecuting the elite frauds who made that illegal contribution.

http://www.capitalismwithoutfailure.com/2012/05/bill-black-geithner-channels-greenspan.html

Gold not to peak until 2025? In which case I'm stuffed!

http://profitimes.com/free-articles/20-years-from-now-gold-12000-silver-1000/

Sounds about right. A long remonetization of the metal at 20% a year. A counter-balance of sorts to the 20/ 30 year inflation of house prices.

Why stuffed? If you want an 'earlier return', why not trade the volatility of silver?