• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

There is often talk of what Au (& Ag) will do when the man in the street finally gets it; but will they ever 'get it'?

The UK's biggest forum has had VIs shouting down PMs for years. (This is the forum where Cgnao started his warnings)

Here is yet another example where, from experience, I dared, very gently, to raise the question (post 3).

Note the bile from those with 'other interests'.

http://forums.moneys...d.php?t=4181093

Update: Forget it. The thought police have been there & deleted most of the posts.

On behalf of the 'financial advisors'? Or is there a more sinister bunch keeping Britain tidy?

Update: Forget it. The thought police have been there & deleted most of the posts.

On behalf of the 'financial advisors'? Or is there a more sinister bunch keeping Britain tidy?

That's a pity.

If the posters their cannot get their minds around the virtues of gold, it is their loss.

The move in gold blows away the other ideas there

Having said that, THIS SUGGESTION makes sense:

Well, paying 4.71% on a mortgage is something you can look at. No reason to continue doing that when you can easily get to 75% loan to value and find a better interest rate. Don't pay it all off, though, you can make more money investing in other ways.

Tungsten-Filled 10 Oz Gold Bar Found In The Middle Of Manhattan's Jewelry District

It is one thing for tungsten-filled gold bars to appear in the UK, or in Germany: after all out of sight, and across the Atlantic, certainly must mean out of mind, and out of the safe. However, when a 10 ounce 999.9 gold bar bearing the stamp of the reputable Swiss Produits Artistiques Métaux Précieux (PAMP, with owner MTP) and a serial number (serial #038892, likely rehypothecated in at least 10 gold ETFs across the world but that's a different story), mysteriously emerges in the heart of the world's jewerly district located on 47th street in Manhattan, things get real quick. Moments ago, Myfoxny reported that a 10-ounce gold bar costing nearly $18,000 turned out to be a counterfeit. The discovery was made by the dealer Ibrahim Fadl, who bought the PAMP bar in question from a merchant who has sold him real gold before. "But he heard counterfeit gold bars were going around, so he drilled into several of his gold bars worth $100,000 and saw gray tungsten -- not gold. The bar was filled with tungsten, which weighs nearly the same as gold but costs just over a dollar an ounce."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/tungsten-filled-10-oz-gold-bar-found-middle-manhattans-jewelry-district

http://ferfal.blogsp...-argentina.html

So yes my friends, you’re banned from buying gold in Argentina now. If you’re over there, I hope you bought it while you could. When it all finally goes to hell in a blood-soaking basket you may be glad you had some set aside.

Interesting. Bullionvalut / Goldmoney can't protect you from this.

ETF's (Exchange Traded Fraud) are simply a gold liability.

GL everyone, as they close off the exits one by one, only Argentinian Physical holders are able to plan for the future.

Interesting. Bullionvalut / Goldmoney can't protect you from this.

ETF's (Exchange Traded Fraud) are simply a gold liability.

There's always a risk:

+ Buy a US-traded etf, and there's a risk that the Gold get confiscated, or the Trustee has replaced some with paper Gold

+ Buy a HK-traded etf, and you are safe from US government confiscation, but maybe the Chinese will do it

+ Buy physical gold, and it may turn out to be Tungsten

+ Buy physical gold, and have it assayed, and you still have to store it somewhere

+ Put physical gold in a bank safety deposit box, and the bank may confiscate it

+ Bury your gold in your backyard, and your neighbor may dig it up

There's no way to escape from all the risk, so I suggest you diversify

http://www.reuters.c...E88N0UU20120925

"The investment interest in gold continues to rise, as we see COMEX net length increasing and gold ETF (exchange-traded fund) holdings up," said Li Ning, an analyst at Shanghai CIFCO Futures. "There is a strong likelihood that gold will rise further."

Holdings in physically backed gold ETFs rose to a record high of 73.765 million ounces, or 2,294.348 metric tons, by September 24.

Spot gold was little changed at $1,765 an ounce by 0308 GMT, after dropping to a one-week low of $1,755.30 in the previous session.

U.S. gold edged up 0.2 percent to $1,768.

Some argued that though the sentiment in gold will continue to be supported by easy monetary policies, the momentum might be dampened by sluggish physical demand and high speculative interest in the futures market.

"We still prefer to be buying gold on dips and believe the break higher will eventually come. But the futures market needs to lose some speculative length and the physical market needs to adjust to a higher price range first," said Walter de Wet, an analyst at Standard Bank in a research note.

He expected gold to reach $1,900 in the latter half of the fourth quarter.

There's always a risk:

+ Buy a US-traded etf, and there's a risk that the Gold get confiscated, or the Trustee has replaced some with paper Gold

+ Buy a HK-traded etf, and you are safe from US government confiscation, but maybe the Chinese will do it

+ Buy physical gold, and it may turn out to be Tungsten

+ Buy physical gold, and have it assayed, and you still have to store it somewhere

+ Put physical gold in a bank safety deposit box, and the bank may confiscate it

+ Bury your gold in your backyard, and your neighbor may dig it up

There's no way to escape from all the risk, so I suggest you diversify

In the big scheme, there is no question that gold is the only place where the risk is minimal. The gold however is not paper gold. It has to be only physical.We have had this argument on this forum for a long long time and frankly its getting tedious. The thing is those who have still not awaken from the stupor and are still believing the MSM need to be skinned and should suffer the losses they encounter. Personal responsibility and all that.

Tell us Bubb, have you finally bought any more taels?

In the big scheme, there is no question that gold is the only place where the risk is minimal. The gold however is not paper gold....

Tell us Bubb, have you finally bought any more taels?

I have a nice collection of Gold related exposures, including Taels.

Despite all the negative comments here, options on GLD have served me very well, with some of the profits channelled into various more physically backed Gold markers - including GoldMoney, the HK-stored Gold etf and Taels

The huge advantage of GLD is the big liquidity in the options - and I am much more comfortable trading GLD calls than being straight long GLD.

Different strokes for different folks!

And I do hope people here can see the merits of GLD calls (and puts) even if they do not use them

It is good to see G-Finger checking in here

I can't see how this won't go to 30:1 or below over the next 4 years.

And would still be a bargain - over the last 4000 years, the Ag:Au cumulative production ratio is surprisingly consistent, varying from to 16:1 in 1800AD to 9:1 currently.

www.gold-eagle/editorials_00/mbutler031900.html

Iranians getting into gold

http://www.zerohedge...rency-real-time

Iranian clerics' attempts to curb speculation in the Rial and stabilize the currency appear to have backfired as the un-official (real) Rial rate traded as low as 34,250 Rial to the USD this morning - a massive 20% plunge. Demand for gold is surging (as Tehran exchange volume is up almost 18% today) as the population appears to be readying itself for hyperinflationary death - as we wrote yesterday, it really is no fun in Iran.

I'm looking for help identifying a coin which may or may not be gold. I don't know anything about gold coins or otherwise so maybe someone out there can help. My wife acquired it as part of bargaining for a frame in a shop, there was a box of old coins that the shop owner advised she could take one as part of the purchase of the frame.

This is it;

coin.png

Now I found the following in baldwin auctioneers catalogue;

exceptionalcoin.png

Now clearly the quality of the coins are miles apart however the patterning and era of the coins are similar, the number on my wife's coin is 736. Looking closer at my wife's coin I'm wondering whether it could be an old fake coin?

It's a mystery so far. Our coin says PVA 736 whereas the outstanding auctioneer's example says PVA 699.