CDNX is coming into a very interesting "pinch point" ...

aa1si1.gif

...and I think the next move is going to be up.

I like;

GROW's USERX, EDV.t, PNP.v, and maybe LV.v for those that do not want to pick individual stocks

GROW is an individual stock, but not a mining company. They manage diversified funds,

including two big resource funds:

GROW's Resource Funds

============

Natural Resource Funds................ --Size-- Inception.. : Yr. t.d. : 1 Year : 5 Year : 10 Year

======================

UNWPX : World Precious Minerals.. $1.06bn 11/27/1985 : +1.18% 24.70% 38.60% 14.70%

USERX. : Gold and Precious Metals $275mn 07/01/1974 : +8.37% 32.72% 34.40% 14.63%

PSPFX.. : Global Resources Fund... $1.56bn 08/03/1983 : - 5.49% 28.38% 43.12% 18.63%

bignb8.gif

Any of the above could be a good investment in the current market,

if I am right, and Junior miners are about to run.

In the past, the Resource funds HAVE LED jumps in GROW's share price

All their funds : http://www.us-global.com/fund/quarterlyreturns.asp

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

aa1si1.gif

[/url]

Nice looking chart pattern (they seem to be working better these days) and the daily (if not weekly) MACD looks good.

Many thanks indeed for the pointers. It's been hard for an ETF focussed guy like me to create a position in the junior sector. But I have (c.15). Taken a few losses but am bullish given here and what Jim Puplava and co have been saying (BTW just read a short Money Week daily article pointing to a similar "big fish buys little fish" dynamic in the Pharma/Biotach sector).

BV stats:

Jan 1st:

London New York Zurich

1,119.309 100.759 3,686.673

Update, Jan 17th:

London New York Zurich Dollars Euros Pounds

1,193.979 100.759 3,841.605 9,259,658.19 3,326,113.76 8,296,953.72

Jan 19th:

1,193.979 100.759 3,953.144 6,114,258.22 3,483,138.65 8,242,350.35

Jan 23rd:

1,231.226 100.759 4,025.662 13,800,959.78 3,853,177.40 7,832,031.98

Jan 25th:

1,231.226 100.759 4,329.463 7,327,180.47 3,924,654.15 7,009,863.09

Feb 8th:

1,305.945 100.759 4,501.463 6,951,230.00 3,892,929.64 6,811,793.14

March 31st:

1,492.919 125.763 5,208.692 8,172,452.99 4,130,662.05 7,980,284.95

April 11th:

1,517.845 125.763 5,109.531 9,425,495.90 4,748,511.67 8,012,199.89

April 28th:

1,604.920 125.763 5,309.789 7,701,088.23 2,913,938.08 7,941,712.42

And Now

May 9th:

1,604.920 138.264 5,372.568 7,220,343.22 3,329,552.85 7,776,096.24

so a small increase in NY&Zurich Bullion, Cash -$0.5M, -£0.2M..

I LIKE THE ACTION in Gold and Gold shares today (incl. CDNX & the Juniors)

...and I am adding to my positions - see new thread on GROW/ US Global

Me too. I've bought physical this week. I can't see the miners leading anything up with oil above $120/barrel and gold lagging.

Just been listening to Shayne McGuire, the author of "Buy Gold Now" on Jim Puplava's financial sense newshour.

buugoldnow.jpg

Click this link to have a listen - Financial Sense Newshour - The second hour is the interview with Shayne McGuire.

aa1si1.gif

It looks very interesting, especially with Jim Sinclair's comments about the "consolidator" starting to take action. Hopefully we should start seeing a lot of these juniors being bought up, like Pan African recently.

Here's hoping.

The cartel really had one hell of a bash at gold to take the price below the trend. How obvious was that! :D

It appears that the POG has now been taken down so much that there efforts are now useless! :lol:

What will the US do about this? Can they 'allow' it? :unsure:

Venezuela, China to Create Joint Venture to Supply New Refinery

May 10 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuela agreed with China, the world's fastest-growing major economy, to form a joint venture that will produce oil in Venezuela's Orinoco Belt to supply a new 400,000 barrel-a-day refinery they will build in China.

China last year promised $4 billion to a Venezuelan development fund. The money is to be repaid in fuel oil. Projects in line for the cash include a factory to make drill pipe for the oil industry, a new steel mill, agricultural projects and the construction of 10 universities, Chavez said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

I don't know if anyone's found this yet or not, but this article talks about raney nickel; material having a huge surface area which could potentially replace PGMs in catalytic converters:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7387473.stm

This is raney nickel, a material so riddled with holes they sometimes call it "spongy nickel". It has a colossal surface area. Just one gramme of the stuff may have an effective surface of tens of square metres.

It's what makes the powder so reactive, and the perfect candidate for a catalyst.

It is being used to coat the electrodes of hydrogen fuel cells; and being a very common element, nickel is a lot cheaper than the platinum-based coatings that have traditionally been used for the same job.

What will the US do about this? Can they 'allow' it? :unsure:

Given China's economic & military might I believe the route will be devolve down the 'protectionism/sanctions' route - the US surely cannot pursue the same line taken with Iraq & possibly Iran (ie. for setting up an oil bourse trading in Euro). Perhaps it will end in a bidding/price war for natural resources/commodities? We are seeing the first signs already.

SafeBetter

French curves

I tried to do some research about the mathematical properties of French curves. It seems gazillions of shapes are out there, hence you can retrospectively always find a curve that 'belongs' to whatever chart you wish. I therefore think that the usefulness of French curves is limited. They are as limited as channels, that often need retrospective adjustments as well.

IMO it's as simple as this: you can not really make short term (or even precise long term) predictions except sometimes for self-fulfilling prophecies: round figures and certain technical things (like MAs or so). But even this does not always work out.

In the end, the fundamentals and irrationality rule. French curves are useful if you want to find a 'curved' trend line. But as with linear trends as well, they can be totally subjective and in this sense 'useless' to other investors.

E.g., in the chart below, which trend line is the most important or most distinguished one?

goldsilverratio110508xm1.png

Ed Steer of GATA gives Al some interesting evidence relating to gold price manipulation.

Friday, 05.09.08

http://www.kereport.com/DailyRadio/Daily050908-1.mp3

From COT of today:

In silver 8x traders made up 79% of the market short position.

The net short on gold: 4x traders are 99% of the shorts !!!!!

This is the first time on record that the shorts have gone shorter as the price declined.

The 9x or more traders went long and are eye-ball to eye-ball with the shorts.

Gold mines are being opened up in Finland, thanks to the increasing price of gold.

An article today says that within a few years there will be almost 10 mines in Finland (I believe there is one which has been operating for years).

Two begin production in the autumn, one of which has the second richest gold ore in Europe (the richest is a mine in Romania it says).

Article in Finnish only: http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/talous/vasen/id90361.html

The title of the article reads "Gold's price rise has brought gold fever to Finland." :lol:

When you read a comment that is negative to a rising gold price, remember Gibson’s Paradox: “When real interest rates (T-bills less CPI) are negative, gold will rise.” This will keep you invested, while the bull rises in saw-tooth manner, ‘up two and down one’. To quote Richard Russell: “He who buys the dips, and rides the waves, wins in the end.”

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1210313220.php

Goldfinger - did you get my email?

The California city of Vallejo (117,000 inhabitants) has just made history by opting for Chapter 9 bankruptcy, the result of tax erosion from a 26pc fall in local house prices. Half Moon Bay may be next.

"This is the tip of the iceberg: everybody is going to line up for Chapter 9 in California," said John Moorlach, Orange County board chief.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...cambrose112.xml

Let's hope all their bonds are insured, at MBIA and Ambac and such. Because surely otherwise a few pension funds will go belly-up.

Ah, let me guess, in the end the Fed will just print it up. Very good!

"Nowhere and nothing will be immune. We are on the cusp of an equity meltdown that will slash and shred portfolios," said Albert Edward, SG's global strategist.

Pretty bearish those people at Societe Generale.

Quick Bullionvault question for a "physical noob"...

So, I openend a BV account last week. Can I just transfer across some cash (by BACS) and go buy a couple of kilos? Or do I need to go through the identity proof business before it'll let me buy?

So, I openend a BV account last week. Can I just transfer across some cash (by BACS) and go buy a couple of kilos? Or do I need to go through the identity proof business before it'll let me buy?

Good question. I am not entirely sure. Their FAQ is very good and surely has the answer.

U.K. Producer Prices Rise at Fastest Pace Since 1986

``There is a wall of costs out there waiting to dump on the U.K. consumer,'' said Geoffrey Dicks, an economist at Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc. ``That is the bad news. The awful news is that higher costs are increasingly finding their way through to the factory gate, where today's numbers were a real shocker.''

Congrats everyone. Especially to the BoE. Well done! :unsure:

I'm pretty sure you can buy as soon as the cash arrives; but to get anything back, you need to be verified. I uploaded screen shots of my bank statement, and a photo of my driving licence.

I'm pretty sure you can buy as soon as the cash arrives; but to get anything back, you need to be verified. I uploaded screen shots of my bank statement, and a photo of my driving licence.

Thanks, you're right. I was being lazy... :)

I like BVs style - easy to buy in, sort out the paperwork later..

Open your account (4 minutes)

Fund it (10 minutes instructing your bank to transfer money, then a wait while they do it)

Buy your bullion (1 minute)

Within two weeks of funding your account we need you to validate your account by providing evidence of your identity and bank details. There are two reasons for this: one is legal, the other is practical.

Luckily I'm with LloydsTSB, they're with LloydsTSB so I reckon the transfer will be instant. Awesome. :)