Bullion Vault deal only in gold and their costs are lower. It is possible to trade on their website as the spreads are quite low - if you feel lucky. They are also easier to open an account with, in my experience.

Though, I also have a Goldmoney account for silver.

I use Chards for coins. Others also use Bairds, ATSbullion and coininvestdirect.

I'm fairly new to all this. But am happy to know, that a real tangible asset belongs to me. Though the drops can be a wee bit scary.

Good luck,

BB

Didn't know you liked the shiny stuff BB. :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

There's better experts around here than myself but here is a few starters, from my experiences with coins

(anyone have a different experience, please let me know, buying coins can be a lonely experience):

Thanks DCA, great tips for beginners.

GD

great tips for beginners.

Check out local coin dealers and jewellers in your area (Yellow Pages a dinosaur but lots of dealers are simply not online!)

I know a couple that beat the best prices obtainable from online dealers.

It is good to have some insurance. Just incase the worst does happen to the economy. And lets face it, our economy is in a similar position to this bus ...

coach1.jpg

ItalianJob460.jpg

... have you seen the Italian Job? ;)

All time classic.

REAL money. :)

coins1kk4.jpg

coins2qw1.jpg

Remember Jim's "hairs standing up on the back of his neck" ?

Well that just happened when I read your post.

I'm a great believer in "hairs standing up on the back of your neck".

I think it happens when subconsciously everything just says "yes, that's right".

Bill Gross wrote this. Wow ! :

"We have for so long now been willing to be entertained rather than informed, that we more or less accept majority opinion, perpetually shaped by ratings obsessed media, at face value. After 12 months of an endless primary campaign barrage, for instance, most of us believe that a candidate’s preacher – Democrat or Republican – should be a significant factor in how we vote. We care more about who’s going to be eliminated from this week’s American Idol than the deteriorating quality of our healthcare system. Alternative energy discussion takes a bleacher’s seat to the latest foibles of Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears and then we wonder why gas is four bucks a gallon. We care as much as we always have – we just care about the wrong things: entertainment, as opposed to informed choices; trivia vs. hardcore ideological debate."

I have started a new thread on an adult subject, SERIOUSNESS

Americans are going to get hammered constantly now, with a falling living standard.

Until they wake up, and change their Living Arrangements.

Through the floor

May 29th 2008

America's house prices are falling even faster than during the Great Depression

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=11465476

AS HOUSE prices in America continue their rapid descent, market-watchers are having to cast back ever further for gloomy comparisons. The latest S&P/Case-Shiller national house-price index, published this week, showed a slump of 14.1% in the year to the first quarter, the worst since the index began 20 years ago. Now Robert Shiller, an economist at Yale University and co-inventor of the index, has compiled a version that stretches back over a century. This shows that the latest fall in nominal prices is already much bigger than the 10.5% drop in 1932, the worst point of the Depression. And things are even worse than they look. In the deflationary 1930s house prices declined less in real terms. Today inflation is running at a brisk pace, so property prices have fallen by a staggering 18% in real terms over the past year.

Checkout the graph !!!

Fed to make fresh batch of bank loans

Thursday May 29, 2:55 pm ET

By Jeannine Aversa, AP Economics Writer

Fed to keep making bank loans available to ease credit stresses

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve announced Thursday that it will make a fresh batch of short-term cash loans available to squeezed banks as part of an ongoing effort to ease stressed credit markets.

The Fed said it will conduct three auctions in June, with each one making $75 billion available in short-term cash loans.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080529/fed_credit_crisis.html?.v=3

"three auctions in June, with each one making $75 billion" !!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the size of payout increasing each time.

Fed to make fresh batch of bank loans

Thursday May 29, 2:55 pm ET

By Jeannine Aversa, AP Economics Writer

Fed to keep making bank loans available to ease credit stresses

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve announced Thursday that it will make a fresh batch of short-term cash loans available to squeezed banks as part of an ongoing effort to ease stressed credit markets.

The Fed said it will conduct three auctions in June, with each one making $75 billion available in short-term cash loans.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080529/fed_credit_crisis.html?.v=3

"three auctions in June, with each one making $75 billion" !!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the size of payout increasing each time.

I'm dead certain that I just heard "Breaking News" on CNBC that the Fed has agreed to take foreign assets as collateral for loans provided they're from good quality banking entities.

Here's someone who sees a head and shoulders in gold indicating a fall to the $650 region:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article4872.html

I'm not a chartist, so I'm merely passing it along... :rolleyes:

Or, it hits $850 and bounces up, up and away. The analysis may work in terms of pure TA that the 66% chance of falling from there, but with fundamentals as strong as they have ever been (banks -$111bn total non-borrowed reserves, libor spread widening again, oil $130+ and forecast to rise, inflation dominating headlines around the world), how can a bounce from there not seem more likely?

$850 does seem to be a significant figure though, I think I'll place a sizable order to open at $850 in my spreadbetting account. Put my money where my mouth is.

$850 does seem to be a significant figure though, I think I'll place a sizable order to open at $850 in my spreadbetting account. Put my money where my mouth is.

Why buying paper? Buy the real stuff. :) If you need more leverage, buy silver or mining shares.

It's totally amazing how quiet the press is keeping over this: The main gauge of global finance is pure fantasy - and no one cares. I am talking of course of LIeBOR.

Why does no one care? My guess is because everyone who understands simply knows anyway. But everyone is trying to keep the ball in the air: the banks try to prevent runs, central banks try to keep the fiat system from collapsing, and the pension funds don't really want to tell their customers already that they will be pure in their old age.

The important thing to keep in mind is: it will still happen. In particular because people KNOW anyway, and just close their eyes for the time being.

Got gold?

Jim Sinclair’s Commentary

Is there any virtue in telling the truth that you lie, regularly, and at key times?

Remember the congrats to Bernanke for bringing the Libor rate down, proving he had a handle on the credit problem?

It happened and now there is total silence on the part of the commentators that made so much of this TOTAL FABRICATION CALLED THE LIBOR RATE.

Do you know how many credit agreements are contractually tied to Libor, now known to be a total fabrication adjusted to fit the best interest of the contributing banks?

The answer is almost ALL.

Libor Banks Misstated Rates, Bond at Barclays Says

http://www.tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=46513

FED TO ACCEPT FORIEGN COLLATERAL

...- this tells me they are expecting some nastiness to come from overseas that could have world-wide ramifications and they want to be able to give it the 'Fed treatment' too.

Anyone remember the movie "Mars Attacks!"?

I think the Fed is trying to be like that vacuum cleaner thingie that could suck up the nuclear bombs.

:lol: :lol:

That's it!

EDIT:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/fed-...p;dist=hplatest

A new global discount window is "under active study," Kohn said. "It is possible that over time, major central banks could perhaps agree to accept a common pool of very safe collateral, facilitating the liquidity management of global banks," he said, stipulating that such loans only be made to sound institutions.

Of course! The Fed would only and ever print up money to hand out in return for the safest and most bestest securities ever, of the safest and bestest-managed banks ever. Because those are the banks who desperately need those loans anyway.

:D That would be THE buying opportunity of the decade! Too good to be true IMO.

I'd rather I didn't have to avail myself of that opportunity, thanks . . .

I realise that long term, gold will kick ass but I don't wanna be put in a position where physical i bought at $700 comes off to $650. I'm a gold bull no question but I ain't blinkered. If the wheels come off this sucker, I've got no allegiance whatsoever. Sinclair made a song and dance about the 1st week of May but that's been and gone and gold's in the hole albeit temporarily. No one's expecting the guy to be spot on every time but situations like this call for an open and flexible mind.

...No one's expecting the guy to be spot on every time but situations like this call for an open and flexible mind.

Sinclair is very confident and very informed. I have all reason to give a lot of weight to his word. On the other hand, he seems to believe in an Indian Guru who tricks people with 'materializations' and funny things like that. I know people with similar beliefs and personal philosophies Sinlair has hinted at, and they can lead to the presumption/imagination of personal infallibility and omnipotence. You have to watch out for signs. :) BTW, I do not say that Sinclair claims these abilities. And I do think he does a great service to the public.

I think the Fed is trying to be like that vacuum cleaner thingie that could suck up the nuclear bombs.

Well, they are GLOBAL weapons of mass destruction. So I guess they'll need a global vacuum cleaner :blink:

It would be funny if it wasn't so crazy.

I suspect we all know that this FRIDAY is a rather interesting time.

Will it stay above $850 ?

Will it be a rising series of lows ?

There is certainly some worry showing through out there IMO.

Based on that, it must be a good time to buy :D

I mentioned this to my wife this evening. She had a simple set of questions.

1. Would you sell if it went down ? Answer no.

2. Would you sell if it went up to $1000 ? Answer no.

Well then she says, there's nothing to worry about is there.

Sinclair made a song and dance about the 1st week of May but that's been and gone and gold's in the hole albeit temporarily. No one's expecting the guy to be spot on every time but situations like this call for an open and flexible mind.

He said the low of the current correction would be in by the first week of May. So long as this doesn't go below $850 he will be right. Gold did some serious messing around between 1970 and 1980, worse than we have seen this time. I know that history may not repeat itself but its the best we have to go on.

I've only been following gold since it got to about $800. How accurate have Jims views been before that? Goldfinger? You been into gold since $35? :)