• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I've just gone long gold @865, and am now watching the price bounce around. Decided on that figure from approximately six months fairly amateurish observations (from myself), and chucking my hat in with Big Jim (sinclair), who called it as the low (second week of may or similar). Which if correct is rather impressive and also somewhat worrying (in that someone can get it that spot on), well here's hoping anyway.

me too. gold is thrown on the floor and nobody wants it. even shorting is miserable. just keep stop in profits and thats it

Keeping a beady eye on the ol' Joe-Publicometer....

What's going on here?

trends.jpg

I don't get the same result today on 30 days :unsure:

I think the 12 month one gives a fairer picture.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=silver+pric...=ytd&sort=0

There does seem to be an overall up trend though, which is interesting :D

Steve, is there still a JPY thread running? I've been a little disappointed in the Yen this week. The pound's been falling against other ccys but gaining against JPY. Any views on why?

(I note the NZD is falling faster, which is nice for you ;) )

Hi folks,

Silver and crude were nicely up yesterday. Looks like that is continuing, especially with crude, and with Bernanke's 'king $' words fading from memory the $ seems to be on the slide too. Looks like gold has joined the party today and we're set for a bit of a rally. Hope so as this choppiness hasn't been fun!

BTW, does anyone have any thoughts on 'king $' becoming election rhetoric? From an outsiders perspective it strikes me it'd have appeal amongst voters even though the economy needs the opposite!

Woody

Oil continuing to rise, anyone else think it may get ambushed at $130? Just a hunch, nothing I'm willing to put money on, but I think a downmove here would sting an awful lot of buyers very quickly.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that NY will have a good go at gold today, it really is their final chance to paint the charts and get it below $850. I don't think it will work for long (if at all), so I'm planning on buying the 'v' today and holding for a nice run up through the $900 level.

Oil continuing to rise, anyone else think it may get ambushed at $130? Just a hunch, nothing I'm willing to put money on, but I think a downmove here would sting an awful lot of buyers very quickly.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that NY will have a good go at gold today, it really is their final chance to paint the charts and get it below $850. I don't think it will work for long (if at all), so I'm planning on buying the 'v' today and holding for a nice run up through the $900 level.

I thought we'd hit $850 this week but it would be a bit of a stretch now (Friday afternoon, spot $885)

Steve, is there still a JPY thread running? I've been a little disappointed in the Yen this week. The pound's been falling against other ccys but gaining against JPY. Any views on why?

(I note the NZD is falling faster, which is nice for you ;) )

Yep, it's here:

In: FX, Inflation / Raising Money for Projects

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....20&start=20

I think I made some comments on this thread:

In: "Investors Edge" : Markets & Trading (needs moving really)

Forex Discussions - Charts, Musings, Predictions

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=3239

I thought I'd start a thread for general currency discussions.

I thought we'd hit $850 this week but it would be a bit of a stretch now (Friday afternoon, spot $885)

I'm inclined to agree, the 'v' seems to have gone in the opposite direction! I'll wait and see what the NFP data is like.

Looks like oil is struggling at the $130 mark though. The rally from $122 was very quick and easy, could it have been a bull trap prior to drop towards $110?

Worst employment data for two decades apparently. The euro jumped almost 100 pips instantly on that news. The cat is well and truly out of the bag now, the Fed can't pretend that they can raise rates without the market jumping off a cliff.

The only mystery is why PMs didn't respond better, I suppose the price had already been factored in through the rises seen earlier today. Time for some dip buying.

Worst employment data for two decades apparently. The euro jumped almost 100 pips instantly on that news. The cat is well and truly out of the bag now, the Fed can't pretend that they can raise rates without the market jumping off a cliff.

The only mystery is why PMs didn't respond better, I suppose the price had already been factored in through the rises seen earlier today. Time for some dip buying.

just bought some more gold and silver - no doubt they will go down for a while now

edit to add what happened to the birth/death model this month

The highest unemployment rate since 2004 and the largest monthly jump since 1986 !!

Bernanke complete with his inappropriate rhetoric earlier this week are now, officially, obsolete. No way the fed can even dare to mention the possibility of hiking rates. More likely that these numbers combined with higher oil and the delayed fallout from the monoline downgrades are going force another cut :o

Not really understanding gold's action though. A quick spike then smacked right back down . . . :huh:

The highest unemployment rate since 2004 and the largest monthly jump since 1986 !!

Bernanke complete with his inappropriate rhetoric earlier this week are now, officially, obsolete. No way the fed can even dare to mention the possibility of hiking rates. More likely that these numbers combined with higher oil and the delayed fallout from the monoline downgrades are going force another cut :o

Not really understanding gold's action though. A quick spike then smacked right back down . . . :huh:

According to CNBC the stats are fine if you ignore teenagers :-)

Gold moving nicely ahead nicely now although it did settle back. Look at Crude too: +$9 in 24 hours. All very positive for gold.

W

Shame gold doesn't appear to have the legs to go through $896 resistance. If it had we probably would have taken $910 and this correction would be formally dead.

As it stands I'm pretty sure it's dead anyway, but there still remains the possibility of a dip to the $860s. I would say $850 is almost certainly out of the picture now.

Usual rules now come back into play:

1. Buy the dips.

2. Don't buy strength.

3. Buy and hold.

4. Rake in the cash. :D

Has someone a realtime ticker? Is the PPT stopping this thing from falling through the floor?

I take it you mean the dollar? I believe that jump in the euro took it into vastly overbought territory, which will take quite a while to work off. After that the dollar will be back on course, a one-way trip direct to hell.

Coininvestdirect

I asked why they dont list them. No interest apparently. She gave me a quote for 50.

Name: Silver coin "Brittannia 1 Ounce 2 Pounds" (Great Britain) (Part No. 20901)

Price: 12.50 Pounds

VAT: 43.75 Pounds (7%)

Quantity: 50

Total: 668.75 Pounds

Shipping price: 11.85 Pounds

ORDER TOTAL: 680.60 Pounds

How did you get on?

They quoted me a bit higher than that? :( Anyone know where I can buy silver britts in bulk?

thanks

How did you get on?

They quoted me a bit higher than that? :( Anyone know where I can buy silver britts in bulk?

thanks

Its based on the spot price and silvers gone up a little bit since. How much did they quote you?

I take it you mean the dollar? I believe that jump in the euro took it into vastly overbought territory, which will take quite a while to work off. After that the dollar will be back on course, a one-way trip direct to hell.

No, in fact I meant the Dow. I still think a 1-day stock market meltdown is possible. The actual catastrophe will of course be the losses suffered from level prices while inflation is raging.

Worst employment data for two decades apparently. The euro jumped almost 100 pips instantly on that news.

Took oil nicely through $130 as well. I'm slightly gutted to have missed the last mini ride. I had a speculative £1/point order to open on August crude at 12175 which didn't trigger (missed by about 30 pts from what I can see on the charts). Now trading at 13318 ... would probably have been the easiest £1k of my life! :(

Ah well, I'm also expecting it to head back southwards at some point soon. There will be another chance. :)

----

Pound down today against EUR, SEK, CHF, NOK and many others ..... only really up against USD and JPY. In fact USD/JPY is pretty much unmoved for the day. Since when did USD and JPY move together?! :P