Just like in 1979/80. Iran's accounts get freezed. Other people get scared and buy gold.

Not just that, did you see the euro inflation report? Highest in 16 years. Instantly put the notion of the Fed raising rates more quickly than the ECB in the dustbin.

Looks like the dollar won't be appreciating against the euro after all. ;)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hi - first post - HPC refugee - member there for 4 years & only 24 posts so probably won't post much here either. Avid reader every day though. Read & learn.

Need some help please. Has anyone bought silver from coininvestdirect? Looking to buy a skip full of those Austrian philharmonikas. They charge 7% EU VAT. They are shipped from Germany. What I need to know is do you have to pay additional VAT when delivered to the UK.

Thanks in advance guys

Ouch.

Indeed. Shorterz must have felt the pain on that one.

I think we'll get a lull now before an earnest attempt at the $900 / $17.50 resistance levels later today. Normally I wouldn't buy strength and would wait for a $10-15 pullback before adding, but I have a feeling we're about to go parabolic again.

I'm off to do some thinking about how much I'm prepared to risk.

I’m interested in the historical seasonality of gold price. I can’t find a good article, so have done my own research for this post. The fundamentals for gold remain very strong, but the market price is not (currently) playing ball with the fundamentals. So there is great potential for some ‘catch-up’ action in the near future, but when?

This approach looks at the recent historical data in a scientific way. These two charts characterise this seasonal effect, and show a clear pattern.

From the 1999 price dip (unfortunately known in the UK as the “Brown Bottom”) I have calculated the monthly fractional change in gold price (obtained from World Gold Council download files). I have then ranked annually the months in terms of best performance (value 1) to worst performance (value 12) within each year. Note that the middle rank value would be 6.5. This right chart shows a clear split between a below-average season of Mar-Aug and an above-average season of Sep-Feb. The trend is so clear that certain months are close to statistical significance at p<0.05 (Jul, Mar on the bad side, Sep on the good side).

To put this another way, look at the left chart. It shows the averaged gain in value of $100 gold purchased at the start of the good season on 1 Sept. There is steady accumulation of value up to February when stagnation sets in.

So in conclusion – seasonal trends of gold price over the last 9 years suggest that the sideways summer may end around late August.

Gold Investment & Trading - #4 : June 2008, Will Gold find another bottom at $850 per ounce?

A great chart to kick off the new month

f_gold850m_612aa12.jpg

this could still take a bit but any bad news and the chart is worth nil getting long with a short term option put cant be wrong and get the stuff in your pocket!!

Oil taking off. Threatening the all time high. Up four bucks!

It looks like the King of Saudi's promise to pump more no longer moves the market.

Hi - first post - HPC refugee - member there for 4 years & only 24 posts so probably won't post much here either. Avid reader every day though. Read & learn.

Need some help please. Has anyone bought silver from coininvestdirect? Looking to buy a skip full of those Austrian philharmonikas. They charge 7% EU VAT. They are shipped from Germany. What I need to know is do you have to pay additional VAT when delivered to the UK.

Thanks in advance guys

I have bought some silver coins and did not pay extra VAT over the German 7%.

So long as they are for personal use you only pay VAT once in the country of purchase within the EU.

If you are a business reselling you would claim back the 7% and have to charge 17.5% on the resale.

Many companies have set up mail order businesses in Jersey which confusingly is not in the EU and has no VAT, rules have been changed to try to combat this tax avoidance scheme.

Further to my last post, it's been a good day in gold (and a fantastic day in silver) so far, but until we close above $910 I'm going to stay vigilant and not take too many risks. This market has been fooling both bears and bulls for the last few weeks, and has made some startling 'bucking bronco' moves to shake off undercommitted and undercapitalised investors.

The range $850 - $910 won't last forever, and I'm pretty sure we'll breakout of it to the upside. But to be safe I'd rather be in from the lower end of the range than the higher end, so I'm holding off until we either drop back down or break above $910 decisively.

If gold does break out and I miss it, I still have my core positions to console me. ;)

I have bought some silver coins and did not pay extra VAT over the German 7%.

So long as they are for personal use you only pay VAT once in the country of purchase within the EU.

If you are a business reselling you would claim back the 7% and have to charge 17.5% on the resale.

Many companies have set up mail order businesses in Jersey which confusingly is not in the EU and has no VAT, rules have been changed to try to combat this tax avoidance scheme.

Many thanks Compunded

Gold Investment & Trading - #4 : June 2008, Will Gold find another bottom at $850 per ounce?

A great chart to kick off the new month

f_gold850m_612aa12.jpg

hope you have it your pocket cos all this paper is going down the loo in the last bull run in gold it went to 700 beers LOL we only at about 150- 170 at the moment but if we go hype then it could go to 24000 loafs of bread as in germany 1923