I've been buying pre 1920 silver coins for the higher silver content. I do not intend to refine it or sell it. I am preparing for when we go back on the gold standard and silver will be for everyday use. Gold will be far to valuable to walk down the road with.

kb

I have been thinking about the old silver coins too, but I have only been buying eagles, Britannia's, maples bullion bars. Which old coins do you suggest are the ones to look out for?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hi

What a 24hrs in silver!

Very interesting to see Sooo much commentary form you all on here. I've been swapping some rudimetary comments here for a few weeks, but like many others feel my knowledge is also reasonably rudimentary when compared with some of the levels of analysis on GEI. However, as someone who's been doing a lot of reading for the last 3 months I get the jist of lost of the macro (and micro) issues seemingly at play in gold and silver right now.

I've had a degree of success with spreadbetting silver and gold futures in the last 2 months and had built a significantly leveraged position by yesterday afternoon before silver tanked yesterday pm (GMT). Due to my level of leverage the tanking made me very nervous (as Jim Rogers says "you don't want to be that man". Thankfully I was able to keep my positions open until the price rebound THIS pm to around $20.20 and then closed half my positions to minimise risk (and avoid the next haart attack!) in the belief we were seeing a "see-sawing" downwards correction; only for the price to then motor onwards to the $20.89!

I've now had a chance to try and digest the masses of info on this post from the last 48 hours. Question is how real do people here believe any "commercial signal failure" to be and have I sold out too much of my position too soon? Will there be pullbacks to in the very short term to re-enter...?

Also, any likemind spreadbetters out there feel free to PM me to swap thoughts, share concerns...!

Opinions greatly appreciated.

your strategy is for real experts in the business and even they will get it wrong.

for you and me, buy and hold, average in over time.

I have been thinking about the old silver coins too, but I have only been buying eagles, Britannia's, maples bullion bars. Which old coins do you suggest are the ones to look out for?

I try to buy a mix of all the british denominations. I don't care if they are really worn provided they are recognisable. Some coins are rare and if in good condition fetch higher than spot price. I avoid these.

I am prepared to pay up to 5% over spot but often get it for less.

Gold, I buy sovs and Krugs.

kb

SOLD OUT! You have been shafted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7277644.stm

MPs have rejected proposals to hold a UK-wide referendum on whether to ratify the EU's Lisbon Treaty.

But the people think differently...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7273668.stm

Some 88% of the British public want a referendum on the EU's Lisbon Treaty, according to private polls for the I Want a Referendum (IWAR) campaign.

Hi

What a 24hrs in silver!

Very interesting to see Sooo much commentary form you all on here. I've been swapping some rudimetary comments here for a few weeks, but like many others feel my knowledge is also reasonably rudimentary when compared with some of the levels of analysis on GEI. However, as someone who's been doing a lot of reading for the last 3 months I get the jist of lost of the macro (and micro) issues seemingly at play in gold and silver right now.

I've had a degree of success with spreadbetting silver and gold futures in the last 2 months and had built a significantly leveraged position by yesterday afternoon before silver tanked yesterday pm (GMT). Due to my level of leverage the tanking made me very nervous (as Jim Rogers says "you don't want to be that man". Thankfully I was able to keep my positions open until the price rebound THIS pm to around $20.20 and then closed half my positions to minimise risk (and avoid the next haart attack!) in the belief we were seeing a "see-sawing" downwards correction; only for the price to then motor onwards to the $20.89!

I've now had a chance to try and digest the masses of info on this post from the last 48 hours. Question is how real do people here believe any "commercial signal failure" to be and have I sold out too much of my position too soon? Will there be pullbacks to in the very short term to re-enter...?

Also, any likemind spreadbetters out there feel free to PM me to swap thoughts, share concerns...!

Opinions greatly appreciated.

You must have balls the size of melons to spread-bet silver.

I have only very few silver coins. Most of my silver is via GoldMoney. I didn't know old UK silver (scrap) coins were VAT free. Should really look into this.

You must have balls the size of melons to spread-bet silver.

I do it too. If you open (small) positions and leave them alone (ie don't be tempted to jump out and in) then it works well. Don't use stops , or if you do, just make sure they're not too close, or the market will shake you out.

BTW, on the topic of how to let folks over at HPC know where we are..... I've just added a signature to my account that links to http://tinyurl.com/2a5ulj - which is a URL I made that points here. Alternatively I may put some general gold info on my personal site (including a link here) and link to that. Freedom of information 'n' all that.

I have only very few silver coins. Most of my silver is via GoldMoney. I didn't know old UK silver (scrap) coins were VAT free. Should really look into this.

Gold and Silver investments Ireland will sell you bags of used silver coins in different denominations some bags are Vat free. Posted this on HPC but no one responded ie I don't know if anyone bought from them.

BTW the site is very interesting for gold silver information with frequent editorials appearing in in Moneyweek as unusally they are also Financial Planners!.

http://www.gold.ie/modern_silver_coins.php

They also sell gold krugs,maples etc and platinum coins.

Gold and Silver investments Ireland will sell you bags of used silver coins in different denominations some bags are Vat free. Posted this on HPC but no one responded ie I don't know if anyone bought from them. BTW the site is very interesting for gold silver information with frequent editorials appearing in in Moneyweek.

http://www.gold.ie/modern_silver_coins.php

They also sell gold krugs,maples etc and platinum coins.

Cheers! I actually read it and clicked the link earlier today. Will have a closer look.

I couldn't resist buying some of those 'fresh' philharmonicas this morning, £13.00 per troy ounce. I really must make more of an effort not to pay over spot.

kb

I do it too. If you open (small) positions and leave them alone (ie don't be tempted to jump out and in) then it works well. Don't use stops , or if you do, just make sure they're not too close, or the market will shake you out.

BTW, on the topic of how to let folks over at HPC know where we are..... I've just added a signature to my account that links to http://tinyurl.com/2a5ulj - which is a URL I made that points here. Alternatively I may put some general gold info on my personal site (including a link here) and link to that. Freedom of information 'n' all that.

I would lose my shirt spread betting as I cannot predict intra day or intra week movements.

I am aiming for 500 ounces of physical silver. In current gold terms thats around 10 ounces.

Silver will be a great performer in a hyperinflation scenario.

I have shedloads of the stuff. :lol: But it's all stored away through GM. That's why I am interested in scrap bags.

EDIT: Call me Silverfinger. :lol: But seriously, I still have more gold.

I have shedloads of the stuff. :) But it's all stored away through GM. That's why I am interested in scrap bags.

You would think they would store it for you in some sort of vault rather than in sheds :lol:

I'm up for buying some more PM soon. Going to wait for a good time or another offer like the Phillharmonicas. I keep an eye on ebay too.

Hi all,

Never posted much on the other side, even after 3 years - Lurcio by name and nature. Almost felt like a panic attack seeing everyone leaving but was mighty relieved when I found G0ldfingers 1st post here and then see everyone else turn up.

I finally got into gold last year, which I put that down to Pluto. I have listened to G0ldfinger when deciding how much was needed for that house and Errol and CG every time I was worried - Hell I can almost feel a tear and hear Max Bygraves shuffling that deck of cards. Anyway just wanted to thank you all for the advice and starting my research going.

I'll try and get two more posts and break the record.

We've got highs in Platinum, gold, copper etc.

Silver is yet to wake up.

kb

Yepp. And Jim Rogers beats the drum for it too.

BTW, RK from HPC, wasn't he the super-duper gold shorter? I bet he shorted the hell out of $965.

I hope he is doing OK. :lol:

wren again! :lol:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...t&p=1000837

And hotairmail wrote in the post above:

I'm not a gold bug. But I miss there being a gold thread. Bring back Goldfinger and Pluto.

I can understand how they feel. I felt a bit the same way when the original monoline thread was removed.

You need characters. Drive them away and there will be nothing left. It is hard for you to change tack and appear to 'lose face' but I would recommend you do so for the good of the forum.

Dude, I start feeling sorry for those left behind. :lol:

I have shedloads of the stuff. :) But it's all stored away through GM. That's why I am interested in scrap bags.

I realise that should the silver market crash, it will seriously collapse. If that is the case then I'm keeping my silver as part of a long term retirement plan. I have no exit plan on silver at all. I'll probably offload half my gold at around $1650 to pay down some debt.

I have a stash of pre 1947, mostly half crowns. Not very nice to look at though, very worn, dirty and beaten up. :lol:

I can't wait to get my hands on those brand spanking philharmonikers I\ve just ordered. :):P

I realise that should the silver market crash, it will seriously collapse.

Narco, in your opinion what do you think would make the silver market crash?

Would it be as a result of a gold crash?

Or could something completely independent make silver crash while gold still carried on upwards?

And from your retirement comment, if the silver market collapsed, do you think it would take years to recover?

Never posted much on the other side, even after 3 years - Lurcio by name and nature. Almost felt like a panic attack seeing everyone leaving but was mighty relieved when I found G0ldfingers 1st post here and then see everyone else turn up.

Welcome. :lol: