Anyone want to buy some silver??

My mate has some maples, eagles, mexican ounce coins, 1kg bars and 1kg Australian coins and a few odds and ends too. All new in tubes/packing. I think hes skint and loosing faith in the shinny stuff. All purchased from coininvestdirect.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

The post GF linked to was this:

So SS is holding. According to GF's sig, he is a "contrary indicator", so what is the opposite of "hold"?

I think this interpretation from the SSIM thread on GIM is a good one:

He didnt really say sell, just that he is only holding for a few more months. That means the price should stay steady until then, but this winter, look out! its gonna skyrocket!

In other terms: start accumulating now, so that you're all set later this year.

Anyone want to buy some silver??

My mate has some maples, eagles, mexican ounce coins, 1kg bars and 1kg Australian coins and a few odds and ends too. All new in tubes/packing. I think hes skint and loosing faith in the shinny stuff. All purchased from coininvestdirect.

No offence, but I think the problem with this is how can anyone trust the seller ?

You do have to be careful out there :D

Can't he just sell them back to coininvestdirect at a reasonable price below spot ?

Whats going on with the £/$ its being whacked. Down to 1.929 :angry:

Is this only down to $ strength ???

Or am I missing something ???

Ahhhhh, its the fear of recession that I was missing, almost forgot all about that :lol:

Gold is going to be dam expensive for us by the end of the year :angry:

Today : $867 / 1.929 = £447 + 6% = £473.82

Nov / Dec ????? : $1000 / 1.90 = £526 + 6% = £557.56

Jims $1200 ??? : $1200 / 1.90 = £631 + 6% = £668.86 :o

Maybe I should be buying today ???? :unsure:

Just seen today's silver price. Would you all excuse me whilst I nip outside and start crying like a big baby?

(This sucker loaded up at ~$17.60ish and can't buy on this dip. If he hears a load of technical analysis cobblers about support levels he will reach down the interweb and *throttle* someone)

Just seen today's silver price. Would you all excuse me whilst I nip outside and start crying like a big baby?

(This sucker loaded up at ~$17.60ish and can't buy on this dip. If he hears a load of technical analysis cobblers about support levels he will reach down the interweb and *throttle* someone)

Don't come crying to me..............when it's over $25 :P:lol:

I appreciate your optimism but I'm not convinced. I have a feeling the next few months leading up to the presidential election are going to give cause to further manipulation. Surely this is a prime opportunity to make the dola look good.

Any thoughts?

I made my assertion that gold won't go down to $850 not based upon looking at the real world, but by looking the charts and drawing some straight lines here and there...

In effect, what I did was a bit like chartism but without any expertise whatsoever... :huh:

DMac on GIM writes:

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showpost.ph...postcount=15824

I've been following this thread since page 1, and have all of about 2 posts here.

Some advice...

Stop trading gold for the time being. Either be in a continuous buy frame of mind through this correction, or use the fantastic charting abilities you folks have to scalp some profits from something else.

The geopolitical angle is neglected in this thread far too often. As a few posts above wrote, the Olympics start in a few days. Bush will be the first US President to attend the opening ceremonies. This is hugely important.

Iran, Pakistan, PPT - the list could go on for quite a bit! Do yourselves all a favor - Buy and hold or just sit tight with your positions for now. The next 2 weeks are going to continue the shenanegans we've been privy to the past week.

This isit. It, however, is not a 1 day, week or month thing. It means that anyone that is paying attention knows the dollar has finally run up upon Scylla and Charybdis. The folks paying attention know the fundamentals and none of these fundamentals have changed.

Stick to fundamentals. Consolidate on the peak lows. If you trade, look to the next month. The school shopping season starts very soon. Scalp trades off performing retail outlets, or even tech.

I'm getting a frantic vibe from the posters of this thread as of late. My 2 cents, and I hope the folks with their heart in their mouth happen to read this, is, stay calm. We are on the right path. There is no stopping this wreck. The wreck will be bloodier than anything anyone has ever seen. The current commodities bull market is, and will continue to be, the most unpredictable bull market probably in the history of the markets.

Congress is off for the rest of August. Perhaps it's time the gold traders did the same.

Best of luck, and thanks for the great thread.

DMac

OK, some package has arrived for me. I think it's a load of silver coins. I am excited like a little boy. My first larger shipment of silver coins ever. Tell you more in 5 min.

Some charts posted here yesterday showed how well gold has tracked EUR:USD - but only since the US started lowering interest rates this last year or so.

Money week has today written an article on how the EURO is about to tank...

We've been more than a little downbeat on the outlook for most 'developed' economies for a good while now. So it's been no great surprise to see that the rest of the financial pundits are finally coming round to the idea that the global economy is heading for trouble.

But while there seems to have been more or less a straight fight between the States and us as to who actually plunges into a recession first, within the last few weeks another strong contender for this dubious prize has emerged. The eurozone now looks like it could get a dose of recession before either the US or the UK.

That means the euro could well be about to fall off its perch and join the ever-lengthening list of the world's ill currencies. That'd be good news for the dollar - and maybe even the pound

Anyone who has been keeping an eye on Spain's troubled economy won't be too surprised to see that the eurozone is really struggling. The Hispanic housing market is collapsing - sales are down 34% from the peak, say the latest official figures - and the banking system is on the brink, according to Morgan Stanley.

"A momentous economic slowdown in Spain is now under way, though just in the beginning stages, with the bulk of the pain to be suffered in 2009", says the investment bank, going on to warn that "the probability of a crisis scenario similar to the early 1990s is increasing".

Meanwhile unemployment has already reached 10.4% and the country's finance minister recently admitted that: "the economic situation is worse than we all predicted" we thought it would happen slowly but it has hit fast".

It's not just Spain. In Ireland too, house prices are tumbling, with Dublin seeing double-digit falls. New housebuilding has hit a five-year low. And over in Italy, things aren't so hot on the economic front either. Last weekend Prime Minister Berlusconi said he would now be slashing government spending as tax revenues have slumped.

But let's be fair here. Trouble in these countries isn't exactly a surprise - Ireland was heading for trouble from the moment it joined the eurozone, as low interest rates poured petrol on an already blazing economy. Spain was the same. And as for Italy, it's rarely far from economic strife.

Surely the countries at the real core of the eurozone - France and Germany, in other words - are looking a bit more stable? Well, it seems not. After holding out pretty well during the first half, by mid-July, business confidence was declining abruptly, as the German ZEW economic sentiment indicator suddenly plunged, unexpectedly, to a record low. French business confidence has also dropped away.

Then last week, the overall eurozone activity survey plummeted much more sharply than the 'experts' had expected, to its lowest point since March 2003.

What's more, European companies are starting to default on their debts, says Dresdner Kleinwort, which believes that as many as 6-7% of corporate borrowers may fail to pay their debts on time within the next year. That's a tenfold increase in the estimate since June and, says Moody's Investors Service, the highest default rate since July 2003. Add in Tuesday's 0.6% drop in retail sales for the region, and the picture we're seeing emerge isn't at all pretty. Because things have got worse so fast that the eurozone now looks like a racing certainty to beat us Brits into recession.

It all points to a sell-off in the euro. Sure, the alternatives may not be great, with both the US and the UK apparently competing to see which can prove the bigger basket case, but to quote one of the oldest market truisms around, currencies are a 'zero sum' game.

If one falls, another has to rise. And while it's very hard to make a convincing case for the dollar, or indeed the pound, all the signs from the continent are that the euro faces even more problems.

Pimco bond fund manager Bill Gross recently said he sees no reason for "the euro's 25% to 30% overvaluation against the US dollar", while BNP Paribas also declared: "we're turning incredibly bearish on the euro." It's starting to feel like the dollar, currently trading at around $1.55 to the euro, might just be bottoming out against its continental European cousin. And maybe sterling, which over the last five years has tended to move more or less in line with the buck, could get a ride on its coat tails.

...I personally think the very different interest rates in Eurozone and US, and the different remit of the two CBs (US to promote growth, ECB to fight inflation) means that the Dollar and Euro are now in the ratio they should be. Yet BOTH will weaken further relative to an international basket of currencies.

Enter Iran.....to prop up the Euro by switching its pertol dollars.

OK, so my package with coins that I ordered from CoinInvestDirect Monday afternoon has arrived. I ordered gold and silver coins. The silver coins (1oz Maples/Eagles/Philharmonikers, all from 2008) have all arrived, no problem. They are very beautiful - I had no idea. Silver is good stuff, not only gold, I have to say. Man, I feel rich now. Forget $15 or $20 for silver. This stuff is worth much more. You can tell from just looking at it.

I love the look of silver myself - find gold a bit brash and tacky.

Does that mean silver should cost more than gold?

True love blinds you to the downside. That is it's point.

All I can say is, everyone who is in gold and silver should have some coins at hand. My advice also is, don't only get the old stuff, get some shiny brand new ones. It's good to hold the stuff in your hand so that you actually appreciate a little more what have stored somewhere in Switzerland with BullionVault or GoldMoney. And for the ETF people, it's good if you have some of the real stuff.

On a side note: 1oz Maple is 5 Dollars notional, 1oz Eagles is 1 Dollar. Can I see some American hubris here? :lol: :lol: