apologies if already posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...emergingmarkets

Gold May Extend Rebound on Demand for Alternative to the Dollar

By Pham-Duy Nguyen

Aug. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Gold may rise for a second straight week on speculation the dollar's rally against the euro will stall, boosting the precious metal's appeal as an alternative investment.

Twenty-two of 28 traders, investors and analysts surveyed from Mumbai to Chicago on Aug. 21 and Aug. 22 advised buying gold, which rose 5.2 percent last week to $833.50 an ounce in New York, the first gain in a month. Five respondents said to sell, and one was neutral.

Gold, priced in dollars, generally moves in the opposite direction of the U.S. currency. The metal snapped a five-week slump, rising the most since July 2006 as the euro rebounded. Gold's gain last week surprised a majority of analysts surveyed Aug. 14 and Aug. 15. The survey has forecast prices accurately in 135 of 225 weeks, or 60 percent of the time.

This week's survey results: Bullish: 22 Bearish: 5 Neutral: 1

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I bet it was YK2 fears

Excellent chart - is it effectively a time plot of small investor (general public) distrust of the banking system against time? *

There were lots of scare stories about banking systems failing with Y2K - and a lot of companies made money out of those fears by selling "Y2K compatible" solutions at >£100 a computer.

*- given the limitations Steve has mentioned about supply/demand

A British Army ration pack is a 20cmx20cmx12cm box that weighs approximately 1.8KG, so a year’s supply of rat packs would be a cube about 1.2m on each side and would weigh 657KG. But don’t forget each one includes everything that is needed such as a hexamine power heater, can opener, matches, tissues, tea, coffee, water purifying tablets and they also last for years. Just add a laxative and you could live off them for years.

Hmm - they seem quite pricey at around a tenner a day. Lots of places seem to be sold out of them, although I'd imagine that's due to people using them whilst camping in the summer, rather than impending armageddon :huh:

Anyone know what they taste like? Where is the best place to buy?

Regards,

crude.

Hmm - they seem quite pricey at around a tenner a day. Lots of places seem to be sold out of them, although I'd imagine that's due to people using them whilst camping in the summer, rather than impending armageddon :huh:

Anyone know what they taste like? Where is the best place to buy?

Regards,

crude.

I have eaten many of them, some of the menus are okay, Steak & Kidney pud was a favourite of mine but the Oatmeal Block was the best bit! Biscuit Brown was a form of hard tack and as another poster has said was commonly called BAB, Biscuit Arse Blocking. The rest taste like cardboard aka Pot Noodle or Cup A Soup. The high energy ones, Artic rat packs are far better, you even get chocolate :rolleyes:

There are many places to get them from and they are cheaper in bulk but make sure that you get the Hexamine block stove with it if you don't have a separate stove. I have seen them for as low as 5GBP http://www.armyrations.co.uk/shop/item.asp...&itemid=179 most are approaching end of life and are being sold off but would last for a few years yet as it is very hard for cardboard to become past its sell by date :lol:

Steak & Kidney pud was a favourite of mine

Aah, Babies' Heads! Ambassador, you spoil us! ;)

Top tip: If you're sharing your fallout shelter with a former member of the Parachut Regt, the correct answer to the following questions are:

Q: Shall I make an Airborne Stew? (the whole ration pack cooked up in a onener).

A: If you must, but only if you leave out the Rolos and the Spangles.

Q: May I use my racing spoon?

A: No! (unless you want to go hungry yourself).

Aah, Babies' Heads! Ambassador, you spoil us! ;)

Oh, my word, I remember it being called that! Ex Royal Engineer myself as I could never see the point of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I suspect we had better not start swinging the lamp and telling war'ies or the goldbugs will get upset :lol:

Following up on the part of the thread discussing someone having massive short financial silver and gold futures positions,

I tried to get my head round a couple of points and so looked at the definitions on a gold and silver contract.

http://www.nymex.com/GC_spec.aspx

The last trading day is defined as the third to last trading business day,

So for Aug would mean today (Wednesday), so can we expect a lot of unwinding to happen before they end of trading.

Or do they make a separate trade for a future month that offsets their current position, and is this where EFPs come into it, but that must rely on both parties to agree to unwinding the trade.

Give me points for style guys ... & only style..... naff all else

Put in a bid for a couple of kilos just before the lunchtime dip

...... & bought precisely 0.01kg.

Sometimes my Scottishness just shines so brightly! :D

Little acorns and great oaks :)

Welcome to a larger (and more hair-raising) world! :D

LOOK HOW Gold (GLD) continues to follow the same path as Oil (USO)

and Oil Service stocks (OIH): ... update

aa0tr3.gif

MONTHLY CHART of CDNX/ proxy for Junior miners

The 48mo.MA gave way recently, around CDNX-2500, and that led to a sharp drop.

Next, the 76mo.MA*, near CDNX-2000 should be able to provide some support

aa1cx6.gif

I like the way that volume has dried up on this drop. Previously, that has helped to signal a bottom

*(same as 330wk.MA, which comes up around CDNX-2100)

LOOK HOW Gold (GLD) continues to follow the same path as Oil (USO)

and Oil Service stocks (OIH): ... update

Is gold 'following' oil, or is it a simultaneous $ phenomenon? Outcome similar right now but the distinction could be important.

But take your point about 'unless oil is also money, gold is behaving no differently and is therefore not money right now'.

MONTHLY CHART of CDNX/ proxy for Junior miners

The 48mo.MA gave way recently, around CDNX-2500, and that led to a sharp drop.

Next, the 76mo.MA*, near CDNX-2000 should be able to provide some support

aa1cx6.gif

I like the way that volume has dried up on this drop. Previously, that has helped to signal a bottom

*(same as 330wk.MA, which comes up around CDNX-2100)

Hi Dr,

Looking at this, I see some support at 2000 and if that doesn't hold - and it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't - I see the next stop at 1500, in other words another 25% drop. This has fallen off a cliff.

I am positive about the index because of the time of year, but that is all I can find to say that is positive about it. Sadly.

Likewise gold will follow oil lower, if it goes lower imo.

Looking at this, I see some support at 2000 and if that doesn't hold - and it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't - I see the next stop at 1500, in other words another 25% drop. This has fallen off a cliff.

I am positive about the index because of the time of year, but that is all I can find to say that is positive about it. Sadly.

/quote]

cheer up

For what it's worth, British Bulls are suggesting a SELL... :unsure:

That analysis makes no sense whatsoever to me.

"We hope that you sold this stock. You should watch the downward gap in the opening, wait a bit, feel the bearish tendency of the market making sure that prices stay below the opening price and then sell your shares. Your benchmark was the opening price of the downward gap. A weakness in prices is implied as long as the prices stay below the benchmark."

But gold hardly moved in yesterday's trading. Methinks this is black box computer analysis gone a bit too far.

That analysis makes no sense whatsoever to me.

"We hope that you sold this stock. You should watch the downward gap in the opening, wait a bit, feel the bearish tendency of the market making sure that prices stay below the opening price and then sell your shares. Your benchmark was the opening price of the downward gap. A weakness in prices is implied as long as the prices stay below the benchmark."

But gold hardly moved in yesterday's trading. Methinks this is black box computer analysis gone a bit too far.

They were wrong in june when it 'bottomed'..

they said buy at 8828 (OK)

they said sell at 8836 (wrong)

bought back in at 9252 (hmm)

sell at 9673 (ok)

so if they'd held throught that initial 'sell' call methinks they would have done better.