Gold is getting set to "vault the creek" at $1,000:

It has been "building cause" below $1,000 in preparation,

and this next move will be parabolic -- (and you should do some selling into it !)

We'll see. Maximum overshoot Jim Sinclair expects is to $1,050.

Added to the GEI-Links page:

Theme songs.... : I Get knocked Down : Goldfinger : Diamonds are Forever : Turn Turn Turn

Good stuff. :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I will be doing some selling over $1,000. Indeed, I have done some light selling of some sprinting gold juniors,

and am reallocating the capital to:

+ Hong Kong property, and

+ Some laggards (amongst the Juniors) that I think still have great potential

In fact, this process means selling almost $100,000 worth of stock per week over the past 2-3 weeks,

and reallocating that capital- It is mostly leaving my stock trading account, and finding its way into

HK property.

Hi DrBubb,

I have a question, and this is similar to something I asked a few weeks ago on HPC.

As you're a professional stock trader, presumably you know all the ins and outs of leverage and shorting etc., as well as your obvious knowledge and research into juniors etc.

So my question is why sell parts of your portfolio to buy property?

I think you said HK property is currently going up about 1% per week?

But surely you've got fees and costs involved in buying property... and then all the hassles of finding tennants to pay the rent (mortgage?)... and the associated hassles of having to ensure the properties are maintained and problems sorted out (e.g. central heating breaks down)... and then the fees associated with selling the property if you forsee a market downturn...

Surely your trading accounts are more liquid when it comes to buying/selling than property is?

And I recall you stating one of your portfolios is up 1000% in 2-3 years(?), which is magnificent compared to the returns of 1% per week on property (~52% per year, excluding the fact that each week's 1% gain is on a larger amount due to the previous week's increase).

I posted a similar question on HPC regarding Joe Public's lack of knowledge or understanding of investments other than property, hence the reason over there that there seems to be people in the UK, aware of the downturn in the market, now looking for any countries in the far flung corners of the world where property is still cheap... and willing to "invest" their money something so illiquid in another country when they could "invest" by other means from their own PC with an internet connection, and buy and sell at the click of a finger...

Just my thoughts, and would really like some insight into this way of thinking...

Hi Dr Bubb and consa fizzlers.

I'm shorting 2 kruggers at the moment on Ebay, :lol:

and i also would like to start gently and get into some of these wonderfully cheap junior mining exploration companys,that axstone, Chapman,Sinclair are raving about, is there any way to do it in the U,k. i really know sweet f a about brokers, all these different letter meanings and chart stuff, apart from rockets going to the moon pictures.

Would it be too much to ask how to start a thread with Q&A doing this and explain it all in pure simpleton terms to the uneducated novices like myself and others that have join here recently before all you's chappies make a fortune in juniors while us other poor unfortunate lost souls are only holding lowly gold bullion coins and silver and so on, and (EtfS) i have already learnt that etfs means-not enough to go around in the case everyone demands theirs, like the banks on fractional reserves. :o

I think it would be good for this site to educate the complete novice's like me. And make us Rich

Hi and welcome to GEI

More stupidity in German banks:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

March 7 (Bloomberg) -- Allianz SE, Europe's biggest insurer, might have saved shareholders $45 billion of market value had its traders at the Dresdner Bank subsidiary bothered to follow the advice of money managers at its Pimco division.

``It's staggering that Dresdner bought so much of those crappy investments despite being part of the same group as Pimco,'' said Jens Ehrhardt, who oversees $12 billion at Munich- based Dr. Jens Ehrhardt Kapital AG. ``The bank, whose tagline is `advice you can bank on,' hasn't been a good adviser to itself.''

More to come, I suppose.

I just been speaking with coininvestdirect.com and they were interested to know where I heard about them, so I told them about this thread and forum. They may be interested in advertising on this site and if they do it would be good to support them, and DrBubbs website too!

Extradry Martini on HPC goes Ueberbear:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...t&p=1002742

The interest rate swap market is largest market both in terms of volume and outstanding contracts. Today, market makers are refusing to quote in some maturities. I spoke to a friend of mine this morning who is a senior economist at a major investment bank. He regularly meets with policy makers in the US. He tells me that they have completely run out of ideas and he is very worried indeed. In the meantime, the stock markets still believe that Fed rate cuts will save the day. They won’t. Rumours are circulating of a 75bp cut by the Fed immediately after the non-farm payrolls data at 1.30pm London time (an hour before the stock market opens). If this does happen, it is my belief that the inflexion point – i.e. when the stock market realises that Fed rate cuts will do nothing to help – will be today.

As I said in another thread, the US government needs to do something big and bold to stop this vicious circle, and they need to do it now, otherwise we are looking at a downturn as bad as 1930-34. Lets just hope something comes out of the G10 meeting this weekend.

BTW, this swap market would be much, much smaller under a gold standard. :lol:

I just been speaking with coininvestdirect.com and they were interested to know where I heard about them, so I told them about this thread and forum. They may be interested in advertising on this site and if they do it would be good to support them, and DrBubbs website too!

I guess it's down to DrBubb whether he wants this or not.

And cgnao of course. :lol:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...75&start=75

Phone call was 100% correct. As usual.

This is quite likely too big even for the FED and their criminal market riggers to handle.

Watch Wall Street, it'll be interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...ncarlyle107.xml

Carlyle Capital issues new warning

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

Last Updated: 9:12am GMT 07/03/2008

Carlyle Capital warned today that more securities may be liquidated by its lenders in a move that threatens its capital.

:lol: Not sure how to do this?

http://www.investorseurope.com/canadian_stocks.html

found these Canadian stocks offshore ones ,i am playing with their 30 day trail traders account and buying everything in commodities, i would probably end up just letting them phoning me and give them Axstones juniors and let them buy them for me and oil,sugar soy beans and altnerative energy shares,and get them to give me certificates in hand.

Doomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Carlyle Capital Suspended; Lenders Force Asset Sales (Update2)

By Edward Evans and Cathy Chan

March 7 (Bloomberg) -- Carlyle Group's mortgage-bond fund was suspended in Amsterdam trading after creditors forced the sale of some holdings, jeopardizing shareholders' capital.

This is it. (Possibly. :lol: )

EDIT:

The Guernsey, U.K.-based fund said the agency mortgages it holds have the ``implied guarantee'' of the U.S. government.

NO, they don't. And that's the problem, because Paulson made it quite clear yesterday.

IMO, they will still bail them out, and that will start hyperinflation.

Another HPC refugee here. To be honest, the house price crash is underway, and the macroeconomic stuff (including gold price) is much more interesting now. On the subject of which, I came across this on FT Alphaville:

Short View: Things are very bad, or very exaggerated

What if gold, close to $1,000 per ounce, is the only true global currency? If we believe that, then it says something interesting about the price of US houses - another asset that can claim to be a store of value.

In gold terms, US houses have never been as expensive as they were at the beginning of the 1970s when the median house cost more than 700oz gold, according to Tim Lee, of Pi Economics. But they nearly regained that peak in 2001. Their decline since then - even as their prices in dollar terms have gone through the roof - has been precipitous. A US house would now cost you only 220oz of gold. Over history, this price has tended to revert to an mean of about 350oz.

While I still see gold going up further (on speculation and as a hedge against inflation), has it now gone above its long term price (in dollars)?

Another HPC refugee here. To be honest, the house price crash is underway, and the macroeconomic stuff (including gold price) is much more interesting now. On the subject of which, I came across this on FT Alphaville:

Short View: Things are very bad, or very exaggerated

While I still see gold going up further (on speculation and as a hedge against inflation), has it now gone above its long term price (in dollars)?

Sounds like we need a Goldfinger POG/US house prices graph to assess this better....

Pluto - ~$5000 would be nice :lol:

I'm currently trading via BullionVault, I know this has been raised before - but is it safe?

Seems like many of you prefer Goldmoney.com or even physical coins?

Got my sheets of perfect silver philharmonikers yesterday from them. :lol:

I've ordered a fair few thousands of £ worth of gold and silver and their service is absolutely flawless.

Hi consa

i was looking at your Ghpc is property guru really realist bear as he says,and is just whining the other hpc up. :lol:

I'll answer, though Consa may be by later.

In my opinion, probably not, but it's a fun idea. Realist Bear is ludicrous enough to be someone's comedy character, for sure.

Worth noting that Property Guru on HPC is definitely a different person to Property Guru on GHPC. I believe the HPC PG used to be called CrashIsUnderWay.

Got my sheets of perfect silver philharmonikers yesterday from them. :lol:

I've ordered a fair few thousands of £ worth of gold and silver and their service is absolutely flawless.

Hi Narco. I have not got mine yet but they are in the post. The lady let slip that they got another special promotion that will be in their latest email going out today. I was asking if they regularly have special offers like the philharmonikers. I got an order in for some krugerrands at £505 each

The dollar is still in 'lemming' mode this morning. I can't help but feel that gold is simply building up a head of steam for an explosive rise, the fundamentals just don't back the idea of a selloff.

The market is just panicking people out of their positions at the moment, they will buy back in when an upmove is confirmed.

Pluto - ~$5000 would be nice :lol:

I'm currently trading via BullionVault, I know this has been raised before - but is it safe?

Seems like many of you prefer Goldmoney.com or even physical coins?

IMO as safe as they can be.

But, I go by the "don't put your eggs in one basket" moto.

So why not go for BV, GM and some in a safety deposit box or similar.

The difference in costs between BV and GM are irrelevant in the scheme of things.

Oh, and use GM for buying silver.

The dollar is still in 'lemming' mode this morning. I can't help but feel that gold is simply building up a head of steam for an explosive rise, the fundamentals just don't back the idea of a selloff.

Any selloff in gold is totally irrational with the current state of financial affairs. The leap up in treasuries is ridiculous, these people are going to be wiped out by inflation. Gold selling off would only let it bounce even more later.

Oh, and Nadler from Kitco has turned semi-bearish again. For the past few months he's been my perfect contrary indicator. :lol:

Up we go , I say.

:lol: BEST gold analyst EVER. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMO as safe as they can be.

But, I go by the "don't put your eggs in one basket" moto.

So why not go for BV, GM and some in a safety deposit box or similar.

The difference in costs between BV and GM are irrelevant in the scheme of things.

Oh, and use GM for buying silver.

That is exactly what I do. Spreading it around, as close to holding physical in your hand. BV and GM are WAY better than any of the ETFs or so. Not everyone can afford allocated gold in a private bank locker in Switzerland. :o