• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Evening all, long time lurker here and finally sign up just as everything starts kicking off....

Can't quite believe the rise today in gold, and then travel home to find it busting straight through $850, where next??

p.s. many thanks to all the posters here - I've learnt a lot from the discussions here, and hope I can contribute something too.

WELCOME!

I can't see the sell price but surely that's not "fair" if it's just a massive spread and you can;t sell at infalted prices too?

I will be the party pooper - if you look at the bullion vault market - US gold is going for $869, front page must be an error (for now ;) )

I haven't seen it on here - apologies if I've missed.

Channel 4 news stated that one of the credit rating agencies is threatening to review the US Government's AAA rating.

I think this has been part of the flight to quality.

Secondly - if they do get downgraded, presumably that affects things like AIG - see what I'm getting at?

Evening all, long time lurker here and finally sign up just as everything starts kicking off....

Can't quite believe the rise today in gold, and then travel home to find it busting straight through $850, where next??

p.s. many thanks to all the posters here - I've learnt a lot from the discussions here, and hope I can contribute something too.

Hello, this is my first ever post on this site, but have you guys seen this on Jesse's Cafe Americain ????

I find the 'you are here' especially interesting

I can't help feeling twangs of schadenfreude even though millions of hard working, ordinary people look like they're about to lose everything they thought they owned.

Welcome, moroboshi, and SoylentGreen. :)

A bit more cheerful today for us gold and silver investors than recently.

Gold prices soar after AIG bailout, dollar drop

By STEVENSON JACOBS – 2 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Gold prices soared Wednesday, jumping more than $60 an ounce as mounting credit market turmoil prodded jittery investors to pull money out of equities and into safe-haven assets.

Gold's huge rally — prices shot up over 8 percent — came as the government moved overnight to rescue troubled insurer American International Group Inc. with an $85 million bailout loan. The Federal Reserve stepped in after AIG, teetering on collapse from losses tied to the subprime crisis and the credit crisis, failed to find adequate capital in the private sector.

Fearing more tightening of credit markets, investors reacted swiftly and began dumping stocks and socking money into gold, silver and other safe-haven commodities. Gold is especially attractive during times of crisis because the metal is known for holding its value.

Gold for December delivery jumped $64.50, or 8.25 percent, to $845 an ounce on the New York Mercantile Exchange, its highest trading level since Aug. 29. Prior to the rally, gold had fallen 25 percent since surging to record levels above $1,000 an ounce in March.

"The same market participants who got out of gold are coming back in now. This is the start of an upward move," said Carlos Sanchez, analyst with CPM Group in New York, who predicted prices could climb back to $1,000 by year's end.

Silver prices also jumped. The December contract soared 88.8 cents to $11.405 an ounce. December copper, however, fell 5.15 cents to $3.0375 a pound.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jND4r3B...nPIP8gD938JA000

Does anyone else have an iPhone?

I have recently been using the new iGold app for the iPhone or iTouch. It's very good way of getting up to date prices and charts.

http://www.sollico.com/igold.html

Here's what it looks like,

iGold1.jpgiGold2.jpg

This sounds the most likely cause for today's moves.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKN1752966920080917

"Lack of a pro-active stance could have resulted in further financial stress and put pressure on the U.S. triple-A rating," Chambers said. "There's no God-given gift of a 'AAA' rating, and the U.S. has to earn it like everyone else."

I haven't seen it on here - apologies if I've missed.

Channel 4 news stated that one of the credit rating agencies is threatening to review the US Government's AAA rating.

I think this has been part of the flight to quality.

Secondly - if they do get downgraded, presumably that affects things like AIG - see what I'm getting at?