I m pissed.

I had an eye on a 1998 Falklands Silver 1KG £5 coin, which was £360 with a wooden box included. Very cheap, I should have acted quicker. Only 1000 were made, so no premium at all on the numasmatic value.

Its been sold :(

Heres the dealer - worth a look for the other wares....

www.airedalecoins.co.uk

Chards sell the same coin but it is £395.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I ve never been in there - sign in book? Like a hotel or Bed and breakfast you mean, where you can leave a comment?

Why was it busy? The FTSE roared today! I <_<

It's in a little office just by the Savoy Hotel. You have to sign in at reception to get into the lift to go to their office. Lots of visitations.

Not sure why it was busy, but it sure was.

Out of stock of everything other than non-vintage Krugers.

ATS busy on the sign in book, confirms this press release [lifted from DrBubbs gold ADVFN thread]

London, 30 September 2008 - Buying of physical gold in London has reached unprecedented levels as investors, still reeling from the demise of banking giants Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch, look to safeguard their wealth, the Managing Director of a leading gold bullion and coin dealer said Tuesday.

"The problem over the last two-to-three weeks is availability. There’s an enormous demand from private buyers and very little (gold) in the market," Sandra Conway, Managing Director of ATS Bullion Ltd told TheBullionDesk.com.

Interest is up five-fold on month-ago levels, Conway said, and investors are buying in much larger quantities. Now, buys are frequently worth $250,000-$500,000, up from investments of $100,000-$200,000.

"Investors have seen gold as a bit of a gamble they might make some money off, but now they're looking to preserve what they've got...that's the way the attitude has changed over the last few weeks," Conway said.

Premiums for the popular Krugerrand have jumped this week to ten percent from six percent two weeks ago with a sales tag of $985, or around £545 at a gold fix of $895 an ounce. The dealer Tuesday sold out of all popular one-ounce coins -- the Krugerrand, eagle, maple leaf and nugget -- for the first time, due to unprecedented demand.

"In all the time I’ve been in the business I’ve never seen such demand and such a limited supply," said Conway, who joined the industry in the early 1990s.

With the rise in physical krugerrand premiums, kilogram bars have become more popular with investors, due to better value, as premiums remain around 5.5 percent. A kilobar, around the size of a bar of chocolate, would sell for around $30,350 at today's prices, Conway said.

In addition, gold sovereigns, exempt from capital gains tax have also proven popular, said Conway.

http://patriotarchives.blogspot.com/

Please listen to it 30th Sept 08 show at 40 mins

The chap says the public nailed the top of the market by selling at the top in the 80s - when gold hit $850, huge queues formed to sell.

Today he says, theres no gold out there to buy, its all been bought up.... is the public right again?

Good to see people buying, long term you know you're a winner, so no worries. I'm of the opinion the bill will go through later this week, I think the media have done a top notch job of scaring the US. My best guess is gold is in for a drop later this week, but I hope I'm wrong.

Already happened. :) Volatility is huge. :o

Already happened. :)

Dont you think it might drop further when the bailout workout plan is approved (which I am pretty sure it will some way or another)?...

I get the impression that this would temporarily deflate the risk-aversion premium built in the gold price

Personally I don't try and work out my own TA anymore, it only seems to hold true in between catastrophes and then it's down to deleveraging and fundamentals. Assuming the bill goes through, I think we will revisit $820 again. It's truly crazy the markets can rally on a hope... whatever next?

BTW Steve, don't forget to start a new thread.

yesterday oil was down, gold up. today gold down , oil up. looks like it were the same money that moves from one place to another

In out shake it all about. The VIX hit a high yesterday and is down 15% today.

Dont you think it might drop further when the bailout workout plan is approved (which I am pretty sure it will some way or another)?...

I get the impression that this would temporarily deflate the risk-aversion premium built in the gold price

Almost certainly. But only for a few weeks until the nonsense is realised.

Besides - trouble afoot in the UK methinks. Lots of hushed up bi-partisan meetings in #10 today (allegedly).

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bf8246aa-8f13-11...?nclick_check=1

Wealthy investors hoard bullion

By Javier Blas in Kyoto

Published: September 30 2008 19:00 | Last updated: September 30 2008 19:00

Investors in gold are demanding “unprecedented” amounts of bullion bars and coins and moving them into their own vaults as fears about the health of the global financial system deepen.

Industry executives and bankers at the London Bullion Market Association annual meeting said the extent of the move into physical gold was unseen and driven by the very rich.

“There is an enormous pick-up in investment demand. I have never seen a market like this in my 33-year career,” said Jeremy Charles, chairman of the LBMA. “The gold refineries cannot produce enough bars.”

The move comes as fears grow among investors over the losses at investment vehicles previously considered almost risk-free, such as money funds.

Philip Clewes-Garner, associate director of precious metals at HSBC, added that investors were not flying into gold simply because they saw it as a haven amid Wall Street’s woes. “It is a flight into gold because it is a physical asset,” he said.

“Vault staff are also doing overtime,” another banker at the LBMA meeting said, adding that investors in some countries were paying premiums of up to $25 an ounce above the London spot price to secure scarce gold bars.

Spot gold prices in London on Tuesday traded at about $900 an ounce, more than 25 per cent above the level before Lehman Brothers’ collapse. Although some traders said the rush into physical gold could boost prices, others cautioned that prices were depressing jewellery demand, capping any price gain. Industry executives said gold refineries and government mints were working at full throttle to keep up with investor demand, but acknowledged they were suffering from shortages, particularly on coins.

Johan Botha, a spokesman for the Rand Refinery in South Africa, which manufactures the Krugerrand, the world’s most popular gold coin, said the plant was now running at full capacity seven days a week. “Even so, now and then we have shortages,” he said.

The Austrian mint, which manufactures the Vienna Philharmonic, a popular gold coin in Europe, said it had extended work to the weekends to accommodate soaring demand.

Last week, the US mint suspended the sale of its American Buffalo coin after it ran out of stocks.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

Wow this is "it" afterall.

It'll be like trying to fit a bathtub of water into a cup - its not going to fit! Thats how small the gold market it. This is what the long term pro investors and letter writers have been talking about for years.

Trillions of dollars heading into gold? It will be like a Nasa space launch 1000x more powerful.

Personally I don't try and work out my own TA anymore, it only seems to hold true in between catastrophes and then it's down to deleveraging and fundamentals. Assuming the bill goes through, I think we will revisit $820 again. It's truly crazy the markets can rally on a hope... whatever next?

Agreed: TA is dwarfed by significant changes in fundamentals, but does add value, on average, but the value it adds must be limited.

For exampe, if it added on average:

1.00% per trade then you could turn 10k into 1 trillion, within 1850 trades

0.10% per trade then you could turn 10k into 1 trillion, within 18500 trades

0.01% per trade then you could turn 10k into 1 trillion, within 185000 trades

we know that that this doesn't happen, so it's easy to see that TA doesn't offer much value, very often.

The gold price seems to be holding up pretty well considering the knock that the Euro's just taken, Goldfinger, have you updated that cool scatter graph recently?

Oh geez, another month :blink:

OK, will do.

I've just watched this (from June 2008 I think):

MarketClub's animated Gold technical lecture

http://broadcast.ino.com/education/gold_cl..._pattern/?we711

(You can save it and rename to .swf). I think TA looks rather impossible when someone with a bigger bat comes along when they feel like it and wack you over the head :rolleyes:

The last thread is here:

Gold Investment & Trading - #7 : Sep. 2008

Paper sell off or seasonal rise ?

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=4139

The last post about here:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....&start=1920

----------------

We are witnessing a once in a lifetime event. I wish you all good luck. Stay safe. And 'enjoy' the event !