• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

ft article

Can you post the Lex comments, I don't have access but saw the paper today. Decent comments in first bit but then suggested jewellry demand in India had dried up, but quoting June figures. I'm pretty sure it's hit multi year records since then. Also suggested inflation was no longer a problem. Not well researched IMO.

A long but essential read

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/JJ02Cb04.html

Apologies if linked to already

BTW Ker I rally enjoy your charts, even if I do not comment on them

The first page:

Page 1 of 5

CHINA'S DOLLAR MILLSTONE, Part 4

Gold, manipulation and domination

By Henry C K Liu

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/JJ02Cb03.html

Either I'm missing something or you can't get backwards without understanding the URL !!!

I also enjoy Ker's charts.

The first page:

Page 1 of 5

CHINA'S DOLLAR MILLSTONE, Part 4

Gold, manipulation and domination

By Henry C K Liu

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/JJ02Cb03.html

Either I'm missing something or you can't get backwards without understanding the URL !!!

I also enjoy Ker's charts.

Advance pages one by one on the last page you get a link to page one.

Gold goes mainstream. Never thought I'd see a Buffalo on the front page of the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/oc...nking.economics

There's gold in them thar' shops: the rush is on

Tucked away beside the ornate entrance of the Savoy hotel in London are the discreet premises of ATS Bullion. Over the last few days staff there have witnessed an unprecedented phenomenon: queues.

The customers are wary savers looking to build their own solution to the global financial crisis and the parlous state of the banking system. They are buying gold.

"There has been enormous demand," said Sandra Conway, managing director at ATS, one of the UK's leading gold coin and bar merchants. "There are very few sellers of physical gold and we have actually had queues of people today."

The world's makers of gold bars and gold coins are running flat out to try to keep up with this surge in demand, but stocks are dwindling, especially of Krugerrands.

Named after Paul Kruger, who led the Boer resistance to the British at the turn of the 19th century, the coins were first minted in South Africa in 1967. Although it was illegal to import them into the UK during the 1970s and 1980s because of apartheid, they have become one of the most widely circulated gold coins in the world. But the £547 coins are becoming more scarce as investors snap them up.

As a result, the Rand Refinery is now operating seven days a week, as is the Austrian mint, which produces the popular Vienna Philharmonic coin.

The US Mint, responsible for ensuring an adequate supply of American coinage since 1792, has been forced to halt sales of its American Buffalo solid 24 carat gold coin because it was running out of supplies. It is also limiting the availability of its 22 carat American Eagle alternative.

Canny investors had also noticed that both one ounce coins cost less than an ounce of gold on the open market at the time, making them incredibly tempting to anyone looking to make a quick return. Having broken through the $1,000 barrier earlier in the year, the gold price has retreated slightly and is now trading at around $880 an ounce. The 2007 American Eagle one ounce coin, however, was going for $789.95 while the 2006 Buffalo coin cost $800 - offering the potential for an instant return of $80-$90.

FP's sounding a cautious note on HPC:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...6625&st=195

Interesting times indeed.

I am increasingly of the view that gold and silver may now NOT go up up and away, yet.

I know. I know. Believe me.

But unless gold takes above 905/10 and stays above it may well drop sharply before its mighty rise.

Hey, since I made call its up nearly $100 and been higher.

Which isn't quite true. Checking the charts on Kitco, it seems that gold was around $810 when he made his call on September 7, fell to about $740 four days later and is $867 as I write.

Far too much gold ramping going on

which means bail-out planII will be passed

& gold will crash

for a few weeks

??

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a big dip before peaking again. Will be good to have some dry powder for these ocassions.

I always tell myself I will sell a few ounces on a peak to buy on the dip [fishing line]... but can never bring myself to do it. :)

Main thing is to have gold and hang on to it.

I think it will be later this week, but like you I am not day trading...

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a big dip before peaking again. Will be good to have some dry powder for these ocassions.

I always tell myself I will sell a few ounces on a peak to buy on the dip [fishing line]... but can never bring myself to do it. :)

Main thing is to have gold and hang on to it.

Bailout passed by the Senate.

U.S. Senate approves bailout bill

By Daniel Trotta and Richard Cowan Reuters

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate approved a $700 billion (394 billion pound) bailout of the financial industry on Wednesday that political and financial leaders called crucial to averting economic catastrophe.

The bill is aimed at reinvigorating worldwide credit markets and interbank lending that had frozen up while overleveraged financial institutions staggered under the weight of failed mortgages.

Amid warnings that failure to act could plunge the country into a depression, more than 60 Senators voted in favour, exceeding the majority needed to send the measure to the House of Representatives, probably for a vote on Friday.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20081002/tts...al-ca02f96.html

France wants a European bailout.

October 2, 2008

France seeks €300bn rescue fund for Europe

Patrick Hosking

France heaped pressure on Gordon Brown last night by floating an ambitious plan for a ¤300 billion (£237 billion) bailout fund to rescue crippled banks across Europe.

As the world held its breath on the fate of America’s $700 billion bank bailout plan, President Sarkozy was seeking the backing of European leaders for his own lifeboat.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4864032.ece

This is pretty handy !!!!

Back from the Future: Gold in January 2012

By Jeff Clark, Editor

Casey Research – BIG GOLD

What’s more valuable than one ounce of gold? How about the news release I brought back with me from the future that reveals the price of gold then? It’s with nothing but unabashed excitement that I republish an article that I saw cross the AP wires on January 21, 2012...

http://www.howestreet.com/articles/index.php?article_id=7615

Interesting Guardian article. But doesn't it say that the price of gold coins is CHEAPER than the price of an ounce of spot? The REVERSE of what everyone on here is suggesting? Does this mean the PAPER price is artificially inflated higher.

Canny investors had also noticed that both one ounce coins cost less than an ounce of gold on the open market at the time, making them incredibly tempting to anyone looking to make a quick return. Having broken through the $1,000 barrier earlier in the year, the gold price has retreated slightly and is now trading at around $880 an ounce. The 2007 American Eagle one ounce coin, however, was going for $789.95 while the 2006 Buffalo coin cost $800 - offering the potential for an instant return of $80-$90.

That's news to me !

I wonder if anyone on here has managed to buy a gold coin below spot :D