• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hello all, just popped in to offer my support and say that this thread is much appreciated no matter which site it is on. :rolleyes:

Have been a long time lurker on GEI and it is truly excellent, good analysis, open minded and troll-free. In fact I find so little to argue with on here that I rarely have reason to post, everyone else puts things across so well!

Hello ! :rolleyes: I'm an infrequent poster from HPC. But an avid reader of the very informative gold thread. For the last few years I've thought about my first house costing around 70 oz gold and why recently the same house reached 700 oz gold. Trying to discuss this with anyone resulted in blank looks. GF's charts and backed up posts are brilliant and a great service. And yes, my three kids now own 20 oz of gold each which I reckon will come in as a tidy deposit on a house when they want to put some roots down.

Hello everyone from HPC.

Things are getting very interesting in silver and gold right now.

I've held gold since Nov 05 and built up my physical and shares holdings since then.

Feb 22nd I put half of a sum of money I received into silver. Waiting to time the other half....

Any half-decent pullback and I'm on it!

Welcome to all the new members. Hope you enjoy your stay. Look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers. I hope we'll get an interesting discussion on gold going on here. It looks as if we had a nice start so far.

Hello ! :) I'm an infrequent poster from HPC. But an avid reader of the very informative gold thread. For the last few years I've thought about my first house costing around 70 oz gold and why recently the same house reached 700 oz gold. Trying to discuss this with anyone resulted in blank looks. GF's charts and backed up posts are brilliant and a great service. And yes, my three kids now own 20 oz of gold each which I reckon will come in as a tidy deposit on a house when they want to put some roots down.

Hi Harold. That's exactly what I am doing. Saving for a deposit in gold. But if it goes on like this (especially silver), I might buy outright anyway. :rolleyes:

With silver, timing is of the essence - you will only have a short window to get out and go into gold - there was an awesome article recently (3-4 months ago?) about this, and basically saying that one's perhaps preconceived notions about how silver spikes/plays out may be totally incorrect - I think it was by Adrian Douglas or someone like that - I'll see if I can paste it in here if I can find it! This fits in with Jim Sinclair's recent comments in Toronto...see below...

As I think James Turk once said: Gold is the B-747, silver rather an F-14. I would try to trade the gold-silver ratio once silver has become much more expensive in gold terms than now. E.g. if we reached 40:1 or even 35:1 short term, it could be an idea to swap this silver and get gold instead.

Silver is difficult, but it might surprise people on the upside. None of the numbers below is even close to the present price ratio of about 50:1. And then there are these rumours that China is quietly accummulating the stuff. And yes, why not. If they wanted a metal-backed currency, the problem for them would be that much of the world's gold is still stored (even if not owned) by the US. A silver standard would be totally unexpected for everyone. They would have the advantage of the surprise.

http://www.dani2989.com/gold/10aggb.html

The ratio of production and reserves of gold and silver :

- 13 Is the ratio of world production from 1493 to 1931. For this 400 year period 13 times more silver than gold was produced.

- 8 Was the ratio of silver to gold production in the world in 2006. What is being said is that eight times more silver than gold was produced in 2006.

- 7.64 It the ratio of all production of gold and silver during one century (1900-2003).

In the 103 year period, there was 7.64 times more silver than gold produced in the world.

- 6.4 Was the ratio of the ground reserves of silver to gold in 2000.

Seems that they have now totally closed down the gold thread and some of the related threads over at HPC.

These guys really know how to shoot themselves in their feet. :rolleyes:

Congrats!

EDIT: I think I am truly done with HPC. The only solution to improve the page is to remove ALL moderators in charge (except for some of the sub-forums, like FP or DrBubb) and to replace them with people who want others posting on their forum.

Jim Sinclair:

# Gold has never made it thorough a round number without a battle. You may recall every 100 points since $248 gold battled at each $100 mark.

# To assume we are going through $1000 with ease can only occur if my $1650 magnet is so low it is silly.

# I don’t assume that.

# The real number is not $1000 nor $1050 but rather $1024 with a maximum over run of $26. You may recall I suggested the run to $1000 was going to be as straight up as markets can perform.

# I would expect a break above and then some rotation around $1000 until the third day above $1000. Following that it is off to $1650.

# I will give you more minor angels as we move past $1024.

So far he has been spot on. Look at this chart. Battles at the round numbers, but apart from that straight to $1,000 since he called it.

Gold_USD_LOG_GUESS.png

Seems that they have now totally closed down the gold thread and some of the related threads over at HPC.

Congrats!

EDIT: I think I am truly done with HPC. The only solution to improve the page is to remove ALL moderators in charge (except for some of the sub-forums, like FP or DrBubb) and to replace them with people who want others posting on their forum.

Hi G0ldfinger,

Glad to see you finally excaped the madhouse. I used to have a few arguments with you on the gold thread about the whole 'real money' thing - always enjoyed the debate even if we don't agree in the end. Haven't been able to post there for a while though as I got banned in the end.

Some of other HPC refugees have ended up over GHPC - your post on HPC inviting people here got scrubbed I think but I'll leave a link as an extra clue to where you are. Might drop by here from time to time to see how the gold bull is getting along.

Hi G0ldfinger,

Glad to see you finally excaped the madhouse. I used to have a few arguments with you on the gold thread about the whole 'real money' thing - always enjoyed the debate even if we don't agree in the end. Haven't been able to post there for a while though as I got banned in the end.

Some of other HPC refugees have ended up over GHPC - your post on HPC inviting people here got scrubbed I think but I'll leave a link as an extra clue to where you are. Might drop by here from time to time to see how the gold bull is getting along.

Hi Magpie. Yes, I remember our discussions. Learned a lot back then. Anyway, don't want to be too curious, but what had they banned you for?

Hi Magpie. Yes, I remember our discussions. Learned a lot back then. Anyway, don't want to be too curious, but what had they banned you for?

The two forums GHPC and HPC had a spat (most of which was invisible on HPC as they censored a lot of stuff) around the time that Fubra took over - a bunch of regular HPC posters decamped for GHPC in irritation at the ads, and then in further irritation at the mods over-reaction to any sign of dissent. (Since then GHPC is still a banned word on HPC - the software is set to automatically asterisk any mention of the forum.)

There's various levels of banning - I used to come (mainly for the gold thread) occasionally - for a while I was just on moderator approval meaning that half my posts wouldn't show or took hours to turn up a few pages back, but eventually they took umbrage at something or other and banned me outright. Plenty of other people have been banned, some for being narky about the moderators, or for mentioning GHPC or even just for being too bullish and getting on one of the HPC mods nerves.

Mostly ancient history and we try not to bang on about it too much these days, but they do have a bit of a totalitarian streak that comes through at moments like this - the situation on the gold thread seems to have got absurdly out of hand very quickly.

The two forums GHPC and HPC had a spat (most of which was invisible on HPC as they censored a lot of stuff) around the time that Fubra took over - a bunch of regular HPC posters decamped for GHPC in irritation at the ads, and then in further irritation at the mods over-reaction to any sign of dissent. (Since then GHPC is still a banned word on HPC - the software is set to automatically asterisk any mention of the forum.)

There's various levels of banning - I used to come (mainly for the gold thread) occasionally - for a while I was just on moderator approval meaning that half my posts wouldn't show or took hours to turn up a few pages back, but eventually they took umbrage at something or other and banned me outright. Plenty of other people have been banned, some for being narky about the moderators, or for mentioning GHPC or even just for being too bullish and getting on one of the HPC mods nerves.

Mostly ancient history and we try not to bang on about it too much these days, but they do have a bit of a totalitarian streak that comes through at moments like this - the situation on the gold thread seems to have got absurdly out of hand very quickly.

Wow. Didn't know there was so much censorship going on. Just read a little on GHPC on it. Had been aware of it before, but thought it was more restricted to misbehaviour rather than different opinion. Although, cgnao had to suffer quite a bit, and he does not really (or not often) misbehave.

Strange things.

Lol HPC thinks gold is about to crash :rolleyes:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=69888

Of course it doesn’t exactly take a genius to see gold is overdue a correction does it.

These morons will be getting wiped out over the next few years. It's never a good idea to close your eyes/ears to truth just because you don't want to hear it.

As I said before, I think the boom in commodities and precious metals will be over at some stage, and yes, even gold might crash. But I just can't see this anytime soon. Long way to go.

Wow. Didn't know there was so much censorship going on. Just read a little on GHPC on it. Had been aware of it before, but thought it was more restricted to misbehaviour rather than different opinion. Although, cgnao had to suffer quite a bit, and he does not really (or not often) misbehave.

Strange things.

Yes, all strange stuff.

Some of what people were banned for could of course be put down as misbehaviour - for instance in HPC mods' eyes mentioning a rival forum is misbehaviour. Some of the loyalists would dispute the idea that anyone was banned specifically for being bullish, but I'd say they are always more likely to ban someone who disagrees with them than someone they agree with, thus the bias towards banning bulls.

But until you fall the wrong side of the mods over there, it doesn't really seem like a serious issue - it's only when it happens to you that you can see exactly what's happened and then it seems unreasonable. And it's infuriating that they won't brook any discussion of these issues on HPC - sometimes GHPC turns into a bit of an anti-HPC bitching fest as a result, but we're trying to keep the main forum more on topic these days.

Anyhow, regardless of the philosophical issues about gold, you must be feeling fairly vindicated so far on the gold price. I'll be interested to see how far it goes.

Huh, looks like the peace we once enjoyed here is a thing of the past if we're getting riff-raff and rabble from HPC/GHPC.

Magpie, I am amazed at what you say about being banned. The one person I would definitely have banned was an obnoxious @rse called MarkG, although he in fact is still posting there and might be a moderator by now for all I know (it would not surprise me).

Anyway, while you are here, don't you think TPTB will let gold slip over the grand and then hammer it like hell to drive out any newbies that might have thought gold was the coming thing?

Like you Goldfinger, I am looking at the time when you can get a house outright for 70-100oz. I never discuss this with anyone though. What is the point trying to talk to sheep? They haven't a clue.

With the Peak Oil slant to this, I think we might see houses falling to lower than we expect in gold terms, within five years.

Huh, looks like the peace we once enjoyed here is a thing of the past if we're getting riff-raff and rabble from HPC/GHPC.

:laugh: Don't worry, I won't disturb your peace too much. I enjoy reading this forum, but always feel it's a bit too serious and technical for me. I prefer chatting with my kind of riff-raff.

Magpie, I am amazed at what you say about being banned. The one person I would definitely have banned was an obnoxious @rse called MarkG, although he in fact is still posting there and might be a moderator by now for all I know (it would not surprise me).

Didn't he give up on the UK and move to Canada?I did find him truly obnoxious - he was personally offensive to me on several occasions.

Like you Goldfinger, I am looking at the time when you can get a house outright for 70-100oz. I never discuss this with anyone though. What is the point trying to talk to sheep? They haven't a clue.

With the Peak Oil slant to this, I think we might see houses falling to lower than we expect in gold terms, within five years.

The idea of a long slow house price fall is one that I worry about - certainly a possibility.

I'm not sure aobut the 70-100oz target for house buying - it always seems to me that, as that was the ratio at the absolute extreme point of a rather hysterical gold bubble, it isn't a given that it will ever be reached again. Seems a slightly optimistic target as a result.

Plus if it does it might be for a rather brief hectic moment in a high inflation period. Maybe you'll get there though.

Congrats!

Good - HPC seems to be the opposite end of the spectrum to the Singing Piggers! Slightly off track (but on a precious metal theme) I might unload some silver via Goldmoney.

Good - HPC seems to be the opposite end of the spectrum to the Singing Piggers! Slightly off track (but on a precious metal theme) I might unload some silver via Goldmoney.

Well I did just that over the weekend with the feeling that it was a touch overbought, expecting a small but useful pull back.... still waiting...it just doesn't want to stop! That F-14 has got to come back in to re-full at somepoint, surely. Or are we never to see sub $20 an ounce again?

I'm working out when to bite the bullet and jump back in, at this rate I'm missing out big time!

Hello all.

What a farce on the other side. Yet another spectacular own goal from a certain moderator.

As I posted there, info on Gold I picked up there has been life-changing and now they can't even bear to have a single thread. No worries, I'll treat this as my primary site for AU chat. Here's to $1000, and a nice juicy correction so I can set off this dry powder.

Hi everyone.

Thanks GF for giving me the push to come here. Hopefully I can learn as much here as I did on HPC in 2006/2007. I haven't really learned much over there since I started posting in spring '07.

Alternative energy, rather than Gold is the real reason I'm glad to be here though. Can a helpfull person point me in the direction of a good thread for a newbie, who thinks they are are going to throw a shed load of (additional!) incentives at that sector?

Hi everyone.

I am new here. This is my first post and at the same time my first thread.

I am sort of looking for a new (internet) home after the environment over at HPC.co.uk got too annoying, with people moving the very popular gold thread around all the time. Maybe information on gold and related matters are more appreciated here.

Anyway, should the moderators here deem this thread inappropriate, I would be happy to be moved. The theme of this thread should be general information on gold, gold as a macro-economic variable, and its relationships with other investements/assets, like e.g. houses. Money/credit/debt issues are of course of interest as well.

My idea was to put it in the main forum because I like broad discussions. And my main reason for coming here is that the HPC-gold thread was moved from the main forum which reduced the number of posts/posters on it, and just made things much more inconvenient.

I hope that is OK with the philosophy on this forum here.

Regards,

GF

PS: I chose the name 'G0ldfinger' since I am/was 'Goldfinger' on HPC. No offense to the holder of the name 'Goldfinger' on this forum here, who seems to exist as well.

Welcome to the forum

Hi Goldfinger, had to track you down because you disappeared from HPC. I share your opinion about gold, except I believe it's going to go up a lot higher than anyone else thinks purely because these days it's a lot easier for the general public to invest than a decade ago. Hence because of this I have a very good plan for how to get very rich off of this and i'm willing to go halves with you on the profit. All you'd need to do is do what your doing at the moment, posting about gold on a gold thread. Add me to msn or email me and I can tell you in more detail- still AT live.co.uk. Thanks.

It's no co-incidence that the gold thread got deleted, it's my belief that money had changed hands.