Is it any wonder there is a shortage of coins

Watch the video. When the rolls of gold sheet are run through the cropper, there is about 60-70% of the sheet being wasted.

All they would have to do is slow it down a tad to maximise the usage.

I wonder is this typical production in a mint, if it is, there is scope for at least a 50% increase in the supply of coins

Add to this that there would be less wastage to re-process and the implications of the price weigh heavily on the downside.

Plus, i saw at least two guys scratchin their holes

They need someone like me to fill ma boots sort them out

they just need to master the art of making square coins :lol:

seriously, they just melt the waste strip and re-form it into ribbon.. but the gaps between the coins might be so that coins aren't warped by the previous cut-out?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Sorry if this has already been addressed (been busy) but what is happening on BullionVault? The gold price chart currently shows the price as £15,400/kg yet the buy/sell price is around £16,400 in the Zurich vault. Is the premium really this high at the moment? Or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ah, just noticed ticker at the bottom saying low stocks, more arriving tomorrow... will hold fire until then :)

this is IT! te best buy time. I am all in, gold, oil, silver. Silver is more bullish than everything, it may surprise with a spike. Just watch for the close, we must close higher, if not, we are going to keep testing tomorrow. do not put stop in profits, accept the risk, otherwise your position will be wiped out by the market sharks, waters are turbulent.

Browns Broadcasting company progaganda video lunch time today. Devali gold jeweller, business in down by 40% on this time last year. It wasnt just any retailer but a gold retailer. Starts at 11:45 minutes if you cant stand watching declan plug another internet company

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dz...Lunch_13102008/

mmmmm, thats why every bullion dealer in london is out of stock :o

coininvestdirects only 1oz coins in stock are 1996 lunars @ £100 over spot :o

apmex have been out of stock for days, they now have some 1oz eagles in @ $100 overspot ( usually $25 ) :lol:

The us mint cant keep up with demand :rolleyes:

The austrian mint cant keep up with demand :rolleyes:

The goverments all speak and eveything is now fixed. Stock markets are up 7%, gold is down 2% and oil is on sale at $80 a barrel. :angry:

Me thinks cgnao called it correct yesterday " Suckers Rally ". I bet the markets are a different story by the end of the week

Exciting stuff. Today's been really boring...

this is IT! te best buy time. I am all in, gold, oil, silver. Silver is more bullish than everything, it may surprise with a spike. Just watch for the close, we must close higher, if not, we are going to keep testing tomorrow. do not put stop in profits, accept the risk, otherwise your position will be wiped out by the market sharks, waters are turbulent.

Silver and gold moving very differently today.

I'm beginning to think I don't really have the temperament for investing. I was never one for fairground rides...

Don't look OJ

Come back in a year.

That's what I'm going to do as soon as I reach 50% in gold

... make that 70%

maybe a bit more, fiat fear increasing by the hour

Oh damn, I went in too early at 630 Euros :rolleyes:

preach, what, practice, you ....

http://www.commodityonline.com/news/Gold-p...-12145-3-1.html

BEIJING: Gold is glittering in China. China produced 152.505 mt of gold in the first seven months of 2008, up 5.22% from the same period a year ago.

According to figures from the China Gold Association, primary production from gold mines totaled 124.776 mt,up 5.28% year on year.

The value for the January-July gold output was Yuan 72.01 billion ($10.53 billion), up 90.60% from year on year.

According to GFMS Ltd, the world's above-ground stocks of gold at the end of 2007 were 161,000 tonnes. Jewelry makes up the largest component of this inventory. Much of this is in the form of 'monetary jewelry' – most popular in India and south-east Asia – for which the value is based upon the content of gold rather than its artistic value.

The total official gold holdings of the world's central banks represent over eighteen percent of the total inventory according to the Sept. 2008 release from the World Gold Council. That figure includes gold held by the International Monetary Fund and Bank of International Settlements. It stands at 29,783.9 metric tonnes

I didn't realise how little gold the central banks actually had hold of, or how much of it was in the form of jewelry.

And if China keep producing at that rate what implications will that have, if any?

I didn't realise how little gold the central banks actually had hold of, or how much of it was in the form of jewelry.

And if China keep producing at that rate what implications will that have, if any?

Well, the East would rise pretty damn fast if we switch to gold as money at this point!

Blatant Banker Manipulation Of Gold Prices

One ounce bullion still being sold $200-300 above spot value, proving official spot price is divorced from reality

Paul Joseph Watson

Prison Planet

Monday, October 13, 2008

Despite the dramatic fall in gold prices from Friday’s high of around $930 an ounce to today’s current low of $830, sales of actual physical gold continues to trade for anything up to $300 over spot price, proving again that official COMEX gold future numbers are completely divorced from reality and banker manipulation is rife.

Panic buying of physical gold has gripped Europe as consumers fear their savings accounts are no longer safe in light of numerous bank failures, prompting dealers to run dry on gold bullion which in turn is driving up premiums.

Since buyers are finding it near impossible to get gold bullion from recognized dealers, many are turning to Ebay where auctions for one ounce Krugerrands and Maple Leafs are fetching anything up to £150 ($260) over spot price.

Over the weekend, when gold was around £500 an ounce, a Krugerrand went for £645.75. A one ounce bullion bar, with nearly 3 days of the auction still to run, has already attracted a bid of £670 - a whopping $336 above current spot price, despite the fact that bars are usually subject to lower premiums than gold coins.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/blatant-banker...old-prices.html

It's funny; I didn't feel as dejected about gold when it was $750 as I feel now.

I'm beginning to think I don't really have the temperament for investing. I was never one for fairground rides...

We are all on the roller-coaster now, get used to it and pass the sickbag. :lol:

We are all on the roller-coaster now, get used to it and pass the sickbag. :lol:

Hmm, looks like Marc Faber's jumped off according to this Bloomberg report . . .

As markets may recover from now to next March, the full sense of security will come back into the market, and people will not be that interested in gold,'' Marc Faber, the managing director of

Marc Faber Ltd. and the publisher of the Gloom, Boom & Doom report, said in an interview on Bloomberg Television

Gold Reserves Compared to Money Supply

According to the World Gold Council, at the end of 2006 the central banks of the 38 countries within these 25 economic areas held 24,170 tonnes of gold.

This represents 91.3% of the gold held by all countries of the world. At current Gold Prices, the value of the gold held by these 38 countries is $749.2 billion.

This suggests that, while official gold reserves as a proportion of broad money supply (M3) is barely 1.2%, the value of official central bank gold reserves equals 19.6% of the value of outstanding currency (M0) at present.

M0 (US$bn) M1 (US$bn) M2 (US$bn) M3 (US$bn) Exchange (1USD = ) Date Taken

EU 1,013.4 6,072.7 12,039.9 14,197.4 0.6355 EUR May-08

UK 99.1 1,990.7 3,291.1 3,882.3 0.5055 GBP May-08

US 832.6 1,388.3 7,688.1 13,800.0 1.0000 USD Jun-08

What I find astounding is that the total value of the central bank's gold barely covers the Americans bailout bill!!

It makes gold seem almost insignificant when compared to the values stated in the table.

20405 contracts are betting gold will be at $850 or lower whilst 194669 contracts are betting it will be $860 or higher - about 10% and 90% respectively. I'm sure some clever person could break this all down further and produce a chart - we definitely need more work in this area as it seems to predict when the mega moves are coming and is highly significant.

Check the volume and number of contracts for December - it appears that huge amounts of smart money is being positioned for a big rise towards the end of the year and nowhere else:

http://data.tradingcharts.com/futures/quotes/GC.html

This guy has done some work on large build-up of call options that translate into large upward moves in the POG.

http://marketforceanalysis.com/Published_A...OPTION%20OI.pdf

Hi Catflap - good find on the contracts.

I just spotted that the report from 'marketforceanalysis.com' was for Oct/Dec 2007.

$1200 or ~ £700 - nice!! ;)

SafeBetter