• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

gold did not hit my lower channel line, but the environment for the rally is very good, dollar topped, stocks holded, we should have rally tomorrow, and monday, and tuesday, retest the bottoms. I think silver is more oversold than gold, so it has more solid bottom

Your analysis has proven to be quite accurate. Thankyou for your efforts.

----

Minor whinge moment... At times I really do rue the day I decided to get into the whole gold and silver thing. At the start of 2008 I was minding my own business hedging my GBP savings with GBP/JPY and GBP/CHF shorts - had I stuck with that approach and not dabbled in G&S I would have protected my savings well and made a healthy profit. Instead, my savings have been exposed to this devaluation, and I've lost a sizeable wedge of cash on G&S.

Looking at the GBP/JPY chart this evening really breaks my heart. I bailed out of that in July and concentrated on G&S. What a mistake?!! :angry:

That's the game unfortunately. You have to take it on the chin. If you really want to make a hash of it you'll sell now - don't.

The fundamentals haven't changed.

My situation. I hold PM within my pension only. I don't care what anyone has to say about paper, so don't bother. I remember the gold bear and if anyone here does they will understand what happens to physical gold. I'm looking at PM's over the next five years. If it doesn't happen then the time span changes to twenty years. I'm not interested in short term volatility other than from the POV of reading posts written by people who've speculated with money they may need in the next five years to catch the bottom of the property market.

John Embry reckons traders on CRIMEX may soon want to take delivery, hoorah!

December contract perhaps.

11 mins. in:-

http://watch.bnn.ca/commodities-report/oct...008/#clip104603

THE PHYSICAL MARKET IS THE FREE MARKET AND IT WILL BE THE WINNER IN THE END !

Good vid.

Interesting that they talked about that the Base metal miners having fat after the boom, but not the PM miners. Inflation in gold price never really kept up with cost inflation. Shadows of manipulation perhaps...

Anyone think platinum is a good bet right now?

Just out of interest, Ker ... do you trade your charts, or just do it for amusement/education/confirmation of a long-term strategy?

If you do trade, do you ever go short, or just prefer to exit the market when you think a downturn is on the cards?

----

Minor whinge moment... At times I really do rue the day I decided to get into the whole gold and silver thing. At the start of 2008 I was minding my own business hedging my GBP savings with GBP/JPY and GBP/CHF shorts - had I stuck with that approach and not dabbled in G&S I would have protected my savings well and made a healthy profit. Instead, my savings have been exposed to this devaluation, and I've lost a sizeable wedge of cash on G&S.

Looking at the GBP/JPY chart this evening really breaks my heart. I bailed out of that in July and concentrated on G&S. What a mistake?!! :angry:

Cut your losses, buy back in when you see a confirmable upward trend developing.

The unfortunate thing is that there is so much volatility in the market, but it could drop another 200 or it could shoot up to 1000. Who can tell.

Nobody expected the USD to go through the roof either. Personally, I'm long JPY and USD and short EUR and GBP, but I'm just trading with the trend. I want to short some HUF and PLN tomorrow as well. If gold starts an uptrend, maybe I'll buy in.

I remember a friend of a friend that was a daily reader of www.dailyreckoning.com

He changed all his money to gold, lost heaps, lost his girlfriend, and went slightly mad and dropped out and lost contact with everybody. There is madness and illness in this approach.

I think it's a very dangerous road to tread. I have been umming and ahhing for years about getting some exposure in gold, but in truth, you can't beat a balanced portfolio of currency, commodity, equity, bond trends - where ever there's a discernable trend building up some steam, then trade the trend, through futures, spread-bets, at appropriate leverage only of course.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. That's my advice.

The second thing is : cut your losses, and let your winners run. I don't see any evidence that deflation has finished. Gold might bounce up, but I don't see any reason for it, I can see gold dropping some more to be honest. It's a bit too volatile however, and I'm not going to put my money on it either way.

In India, you buy jewelry for spot + workmanship. The workmanship is negotiable, and will obviously depend on how ornate the design.

So you are saying that blobs of gold can be bought at close to spot in India. Whereas Jewellery costs more than spot because of workmanship.

If so, I’d agree with you.

Just out of interest, Ker ... do you trade your charts, or just do it for amusement/education/confirmation of a long-term strategy?

of course, if you see I charted something, that's because or I am going to get in, or I am already in, or I am thinking to get out. You even may deduce if I lost or won. ;) ;) I have to do charts every time because i need to watch for my money, and I share them with you because publishing enforces me to do a better charting, (kind of speak on public), you cant just say, ohh, gold is going to go up to XXX, you have to find solid stuff behind the move. Also, it is pleasant to be useful to other people, when they find your idea useful for them.

Looks like she is still going down...

I am looking at support levels at 700, 685 and 680...

If any consolation, by getting to 680 level then that would be the greatest number of down days (height of o's) on my pnf chart. Hopefully, after a few sideway days she will be like an elastic band it will shoot back up again!

Good luck all.

My view exactly. A little disappointed it bounced off 700, but I guess we have to be a little patient. There is an election to get rid of :D

looks like CID are selling 400 Oz bars direct now...

How strange. Read this post... :huh:

https://www.kitcomm.com/showpost.php?p=4015...postcount=11774

I just got off the phone with a VERY highly regarded, veteran bullion dealer. Here is the gist of what he said…

*The physical market is being flooded by 400 ounce bars, the kind traded on the Comex.

*The markings on the bars suggest it is IMF gold, or similar gold owned by various central banks.

*Much of the gold is of the "Fed melt type," from the gold which was confiscated by the US government in the 1930’s. He went on to say this could be US gold, or Fed melt gold bought by other central banks from the US.

Good vid.

Interesting that they talked about that the Base metal miners having fat after the boom, but not the PM miners. Inflation in gold price never really kept up with cost inflation. Shadows of manipulation perhaps...

Anyone think platinum is a good bet right now?

I am keeping my eye on platinum at the mo. Need to diversify out of gold and silver. :)

Would love to pick up a coin or two.... but in no hurry... this deflationary period could continue for a while.

Will consider swapping a few gold coins for platinum when/if they get to the same price.

How strange. Read this post... :huh:

https://www.kitcomm.com/showpost.php?p=4015...postcount=11774

I just got off the phone with a VERY highly regarded, veteran bullion dealer. Here is the gist of what he said…

*The physical market is being flooded by 400 ounce bars, the kind traded on the Comex.

*The markings on the bars suggest it is IMF gold, or similar gold owned by various central banks.

*Much of the gold is of the "Fed melt type," from the gold which was confiscated by the US government in the 1930’s. He went on to say this could be US gold, or Fed melt gold bought by other central banks from the US.

Acthung, zee Nazi gold....

of course, if you see I charted something, that's because or I am going to get in, or I am already in, or I am thinking to get out. You even may deduce if I lost or won. ;) ;) I have to do charts every time because i need to watch for my money, and I share them with you because publishing enforces me to do a better charting, (kind of speak on public), you cant just say, ohh, gold is going to go up to XXX, you have to find solid stuff behind the move. Also, it is pleasant to be useful to other people, when they find your idea useful for them.

It would be handy if you posted buy or sell suggestions and also track £100 invested and the results of following your suggestions. Basically, much like Britishbulls, which seems automated to me and is too slow to respond in changes and overlooks fundamentals. I know there are some here, including myself, that want to trade but lack the experience to do it and scared of making losses due to inexperience. I would be happy to follow your suggestions on £100 invested in a new BV account and display the results as a reference to others. What do you think?

http://www.britishbulls.com/StockPage.asp?...cials&TYP=S

He changed all his money to gold, lost heaps, lost his girlfriend, and went slightly mad and dropped out and lost contact with everybody. There is madness and illness in this approach.

I think it's a very dangerous road to tread. ...

Was he on margin? Or did gold plunge to zero in his currency? :unsure::rolleyes:

I would be happy to follow your suggestions on £100 invested in a new BV account and display the results as a reference to others. What do you think?

Azazel... if you're going to trade this stuff, I really don't see BV or GoldMoney as the place to do it - the spreads and dealing costs are just too high, meaning it's not an efficient method of getting out and getting back in.

I'd be interested to know if others disagree. But I strongly suspect most people trading gold will be doing it using futures or SBing accounts, where the combined spread & fee is tiny (less than $1/oz, in most cases).

It would be handy if you posted buy or sell suggestions and also track £100 invested and the results of following your suggestions. Basically, much like Britishbulls, which seems automated to me and is too slow to respond in changes and overlooks fundamentals. I know there are some here, including myself, that want to trade but lack the experience to do it and scared of making losses due to inexperience. I would be happy to follow your suggestions on £100 invested in a new BV account and display the results as a reference to others. What do you think?

http://www.britishbulls.com/StockPage.asp?...cials&TYP=S

That sounds like fun, and was sort of what I was imagining doing myself. (You may recall a couple of my posts in this thread a week or two ago about trading gold -- the 'I've just put £1500 into BV to play with' posts, if you recall.)

I do keep an eye on British Bulls myself (although fairly sporadically), and I too have the sense that it's too slow to respond. Maybe they just use daily prices.

Great article here:

http://www.theinternationalforecaster.com/...tion_Juggernaut

Quote I like:

Well, how 'bout that high-flyin' dollar? You might even believe that it was still the world's reserve currency, which it still is, in a de facto sort of way, given that all the other world fiat currencies are in even worse shape, aside from the Swiss franc. You are probably wondering what has propelled it to the 85 mark on the USDX? Many factors are involved, all the direct result of manipulation by the PPT and the cartel. But the irony is that the upward swing in the dollar is actually not the new beginning for a bull market rally in the dollar, but rather, this new push upward portends that the dollar is now singing its swan song. Most, if not all, of the events that are driving up the dollar are going to eventually take down our financial system, along with the entire world economy, and the dollar will go down with them, along with all other non-gold-backed currencies, with the exception possibly of the Swiss franc. Gold and silver will be headed for the Fifth Dimension when that happens.

I take comfort in the fact that these sell-offs seem to intensify in the run up to the CDS auctions. I'm in the red for the first time since I bought into gold in September last year but am sure we're going to have the mother of all bounces before Crimbo. Just glad I sold up and moved to Asia for a while.

Bought 8 k of silver today. :)

Aussie down 5 cents today. :o

Dow could go through 8000 tonight.

Oil continuing to tank. Is the world shutting up shop?

Silver's getting very tempting. I'm still waiting to see a firm bottoming out before diving in, what with all the liquidation and turmoil going on. I might give it a few weeks.

€7.17 which is close to the one-year low.

Silver's getting very tempting. I'm still waiting to see a firm bottoming out before diving in, what with all the liquidation and turmoil going on. I might give it a few weeks.

€7.17 which is close to the one-year low.

Yep, was my first buy of silver. Plan to average in over the next few months.

Also, I am tempted to swap a few gold coins for platinum ones soon.

Oil is plummeting fast, it remains well correlated Euro/Dollar, commodities and gold.

I'm increasingly certain, that it's the Oil Producer's Cartel that hold the key to direction of gold.

A bottom in oil is a critical point for all markets in my opinion.

These collapsing commodity and stock prices indicate a serious lack of faith in reflation, if the banks don't reflate company prices soon then I think we're going to see some serious public sector action in Europe, including nationalisation, but I don't see this happening in the US.