• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Iran switches reserves to gold

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has converted financial reserves into gold to avoid future problems, an adviser to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in comments published on Saturday, after the price of oil fell more than 60 percent from a peak in July.

Iran, the world's fourth-largest oil producer, is under U.N. and U.S. sanctions over its disputed nuclear programme and is now also facing declining revenue from its oil exports after crude prices tumbled.

"With the plans of the presidency...the country's money reserves were changed into gold so that we wouldn't be faced with many problems in the future," presidential adviser Mojtaba Samareh-Hashemi was quoted as saying by business daily Poul.

He gave no figures or other details.

Before oil prices plunged by more than 60 percent from a peak of $147 per barrel in July, Iran made windfall gains from its crude exports and in April estimated its foreign exchange reserves at about $80 billion.

Iranian officials in July denied reports Iranian banks were moving funds from Europe, with one report suggesting as much as $75 billion had been withdrawn and converted into gold or placed in Asian banks, because of a threat of tightening sanctions.

The International Monetary Fund said in August that if the price of Iranian crude fell to $75 a barrel, Iran would face a current account deficit in the medium term that would be tough to sustain due to Tehran's financial isolation.

On Friday, U.S. crude fell $1.20 at $57.04.

Gold futures ended more than 5 percent higher on Friday and bullion ended the week about $10 higher compared with its last Friday's close of $735.95 as investors covered short positions.

http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews...-36518320081115

http://www.coininvestdirect.com

Ounce bar

Buy £528.01 Sell £574.14

Krugerrand

Buy £537.47 Sell £598.54

Maple leaf

Buy £527.61 Sell £601.11

Philharmoniker

Buy £522.67 Sell £575.42

NUgget

Buy £532.54 Sell £603.68

Sovereign

Buy £120.70 Sell £137.86

Britannia

they don't even tell you lest you have a heart attack

Luna

Buy £589.24 Sell £693.59

congo-men_1114544i.jpg

When to buy? Depends.

If you do not yet have a decent base position in metals, hurry out and put half your worth in them.

If you already have a core base position, you can afford to wait for the dip and buy.... and then on the following spike sell a few ounces [emphasis on few... and I would imagine a strangely liberating experience.... have not managed to do so myself as yet :lol: ] in order to buy again on the next dip.

The one certainty will be massive volatilty... besides going to Mars of course.

Bought some more ounces from baird's yesterday.

3 week wait minimum. Only Krugers for sale at, as they put it, 'hugely inflated prices.'

The boss said to me, 'I've been in this business for decades. I was there for gold fever in the 1970s. I've never seen anything like this. I have 50 people working for me. I need another 200 (!), but it's impossible to find anyone because there's nobody who knows this business. All the internet dealers, one's with a big internet presence, are coming to us for bullion cos they can't source it anywhere else. We are 6 or 8 times busier than we've ever been.'

http://www.coininvestdirect.com

Ounce bar

Buy £528.01 Sell £574.14

Krugerrand

Buy £537.47 Sell £598.54

Maple leaf

Buy £527.61 Sell £601.11

Philharmoniker

Buy £522.67 Sell £575.42

NUgget

Buy £532.54 Sell £603.68

Sovereign

Buy £120.70 Sell £137.86

Britannia

they don't even tell you lest you have a heart attack

Luna

Buy £589.24 Sell £693.59

congo-men_1114544i.jpg

They are truly awful prices - bad as ebay! Try Kitco.

Gold Eagle 1 oz (Only shipping to US)

$809.98

Gold Maple 1 oz

$802.55

*Gold Bar 400 oz (Please place order by phone)

$299,440.00

Gold Bar 10 oz (Only shipping to US)

$7,551.00

Gold Bar 1 oz

$758.10

Kitco Gold Bar 1 oz

$758.10

Gold Bar 1000 g

$24,116.27

Gold Philharmonic 1 oz (Only shipping to US)

$780.26

Silver Maple 1 oz ( Olympic Edition)

$13.03

Silver Bar 1000 oz

$9,830.00

You don't have to get ripped off! Kitco 1oz gold bar, spot + $16!!, 1oz siver coins, spot + $3

They are truly awful prices - bad as ebay! Try Kitco.

You don't have to get ripped off! Kitco 1oz gold bar, spot + $16!!, 1oz siver coins, spot + $3

The Silver Maple price is not bad, but it’s no good for small buyers like me. Kitco charge a minimum of $165 for postage.

The Silver Maple price is not bad, but it’s no good for small buyers like me. Kitco charge a minimum of $165 for postage.

Maple price not bad! People here have been paying way, way more than that and calling it a bargain!

The 1000oz silver bar is very close to spot too. That postage cost is very high, say £120, but you are saving about £60 a coin overall! Even a fairly modest order would make Kitco cheaper, which just goes to show how ridiculous CID prices are.

But the Kitco (and Tulving) prices show that supplies are getting back to normal. CID will have to cut their spreads and premiums soon, surely.

Kitco's premiums are almost normal. Someone better tell them about this "disconnect"! :P

They must be paying the 'official' physical price (calculated by checking eBay), and then just knocking of 15%! You don't get many businesses like that these days ;)

Silver Maple 1 oz ( Olympic Edition)

$13.03

Silver Bar 1000 oz

$9,830.00

just to set the record straight, I am gonna tell you a story (Max Bygraves voice on): I bought 300 x 1oz silver coins from kitco in the summer, I paid approx. £250 insurance and shipping. After receiving the coins, I contacted Customs and Excise to enquire whether I owed them any import tax (because if I didn't I wouldn't have a leg to stand on should any funny business occur later on), they told me it was up to the importer (in this case the del. firm - FedEx) to invoice me. So....... I said to them; 'let's get this straight, I don'thave to pay unless I'm invoiced by fedex, because they were the importer and they would have paid the tax?' the reply came 'that's correct Mr. Agent'.

Well fook me as the weeks passed on I thought I had scored a blinder, only for the invoice to turn up eventually requesting the extra £ :(

cheap silver? not on your nelly

just to set the record straight, I am gonna tell you a story (Max Bygraves voice on): I bought 300 x 1oz silver coins from kitco in the summer, I paid approx. £250 insurance and shipping.

cheap silver? not on your nelly

Still looks cheap to me. Adding in VAT, the exchange rate and per-coin shipping

13.03*1.175/1.4741+(250/300)

£11.219501

Edit: you won't get that exchange rate though. Add 2.5%?

Bought some more ounces from baird's yesterday.

3 week wait minimum. Only Krugers for sale at, as they put it, 'hugely inflated prices.'

The boss said to me, 'I've been in this business for decades. I was there for gold fever in the 1970s. I've never seen anything like this. I have 50 people working for me. I need another 200 (!), but it's impossible to find anyone because there's nobody who knows this business. All the internet dealers, one's with a big internet presence, are coming to us for bullion cos they can't source it anywhere else. We are 6 or 8 times busier than we've ever been.'

That would be a good story for MoneyMorning too.

Crikey, if it continues in this bearish pattern, I might not be able to afford any soon.

;)

Martin Hennecke of Tyche still advising buying gold on CNBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAcd14bP8M

The other guy has not got a clue! "It's the power of the intellect that will drive the US forward not just the fact they can produce nuts and bolts!"?He is a worldwide fund manager.

Wait for the erm..........silence at the end of his speech! :wub:

A little 'direct' for me, but the point is right IMO:

The US is not fucking AAA. These dumbshit "experts" need to get a fucking reality check. We are months away from a crash and they are still peddling their horseshit for truth ... oh boy oh boy...

Get your guns/ammo/food stocked up right now, today, this week. You wont get a chance later on.

Also:

You sound like the guy walking towards the ocean during the tsunami, then the oceans drew back, only to swarm the idiots who walked towards the sea. That is the US dollar.

OH, and after the pause at about 5:30....

cryinglaugh.gifcryinglaugh.gifcryinglaugh.gifcryinglaugh.gif

I suggest buying some gold with this if it's true:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-Christmas.html

Sorry

On tax, Mr Brown sent out his strongest signal yet that his programme would be designed to help the less well-off, who are more likely to spend extra cash than the better-off, who are prone to save buy gold with it.

Hennecke said something very important, and needs emphasising.

From 4:30.

They (the US) will have to radically cut spending.

Even now, the debt is already so high, I doubt that even that will be enough.

I think the US will have to look at a default and bankruptcy reorganisation of the present financial system.

We've seen the banks almost fail, the next thing I think is bankruptcy of the Government, in the US and a number of European countries, a similar situation to Iceland.

That means very high inflation going forward.

That means we are recommending our clients to buy gold to protect themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAcd14bP8M

The other guy has not got a clue! "It's the power of the intellect that will drive the US forward not just the fact they can produce nuts and bolts!"?He is a worldwide fund manager.

Wait for the erm..........silence at the end of his speech! :wub:

I say that. Classic case of denial. Oh... how the mighty have fallen. :lol:

He would make a good comedy act... along the lines of "The office".