• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I know... If I could have found enough Britannias I would have splashed the lot, everyone is now waiting for the 2009 Britannias, expected mid Jan.

Go easy warpig, that is typical mania language you get just before a peak!. Please remember what happened from December 1974 to August 1976 where gold went down 40% in dollar terms - I feel we are near that same point, ie. SM just crashed and bottomed with gold approaching a new all-time soon after. It's always safer to average in or buy the lows rather than feel your missing the boat and have to go 'all-in' in one go. There was a guy on here who bought a lot of gold on the March 2008 peak and regretted it by selling for a loss (although he would be sitting pretty now!)..... you will feel really sick if this happens :(

If we got up to $1,100 and then fell to $660 then that would be another fall of 40% - my current prediction is for gold to peak 3 weeks after another low in stocks on around January 20, 2009 (with a VIX reading in the 20's from which the SM rallies) which is 2 months from the November 20 low. So I feel gold will peak just before mid-february - this is from analysis I've done from SM bottoms in 1938 and 1974 etc. Ker is also predicting Feb/March as being bad for PM's....

I've read that the spreads along the treasury yield curve are coming down on 10-year notes which apparently signals a prolonged dis/de-inflationary prognosis. Apparently when they start to increase, ie. the curve steepens - then the bond market will be pricing in the return of inflation ahead.... hope someone can verify this is correct as I'm not that clued up on yield curves/spreads yet.

They'll be protected with a foam coin between them, but all the cases/wallets are becoming a pain. I'll keep looking thanks anyway.

When I get 1 oz eagles they usually come from the mint in a white tube with a green top.

I would keep them in individual plastic wallets if they are pretty pristine, you'll usually get a few quid more for them that way. As for Brit-sized tubes, I'm not too sure.

JFYI, I already have a sizeable pot of gold, so I am aware of the benefits of averaging in, it saved me a couple of times, I am now spending my STR fund. I am UK based and so we don't seem to suffer the same (reserve) currency volatility you have in the US, look at gold in GBP today as a sign of what is going on over here.

I have gathered from your previous posts that you aren't pro gold, so can I ask what are you pro? Where do your investments lie?

Go easy warpig, that is typical mania language you get just before a peak!. Please remember what happened from December 1974 to August 1976 where gold went down 40% in dollar terms - I feel we are near that same point, ie. SM just crashed and bottomed with gold approaching a new all-time soon after. It's always safer to average in or buy the lows rather than feel your missing the boat and have to go 'all-in' in one go. There was a guy on here who bought a lot of gold on the March 2008 peak and regretted it by selling for a loss (although he would be sitting pretty now!)..... you will feel really sick if this happens :(

If we got up to $1,100 and then fell to $660 then that would be another fall of 40% - my current prediction is for gold to peak 3 weeks after another low in stocks on around January 20, 2009 (with a VIX reading in the 20's from which the SM rallies) which is 2 months from the November 20 low. So I feel gold will peak just before mid-february - this is from analysis I've done from SM bottoms in 1938 and 1974 etc. Ker is also predicting Feb/March as being bad for PM's....

I've read that the spreads along the treasury yield curve are coming down on 10-year notes which apparently signals a prolonged dis/de-inflationary prognosis. Apparently when they start to increase, ie. the curve steepens - then the bond market will be pricing in the return of inflation ahead.... hope someone can verify this is correct as I'm not that clued up on yield curves/spreads yet.

I know... If I could have found enough Britannias I would have splashed the lot, everyone is now waiting for the 2009 Britannias, expected mid Jan.

Are gold bullion 2009 Britannias expected mid january ????? The 2008 Brits where only released Sept 2008 ?????

Seems rather early for the bullion version, proofs are always earlier. Any news on Fractionals ??

Nervy investors spur rush at Swiss gold refiners

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1602518_pf.html

This refinery near Lake Lugano in the Alps is running day and night as people worried about recession rush to switch their assets into something that may hold its value.

"I have been in the gold business for 30 years and I have never experienced anything like this," said Bernhard Schnellmann, director for precious metal services at the refiner Argor-Heraeus, one of the world's three largest.

"Production has dramatically increased since the middle of the year. We cannot cope with demand," said Schnellman, wearing a gold watch on his wrist.

Spot gold hit a record $1,030.80 an ounce on March 17. It fell below $700 in late October, partly because investors sold their holdings to cover losses in equity and bond markets hit by the credit crisis, and is now around $830 an ounce.

The trigger for the price to rise again could come from a much weaker dollar, making gold cheaper for holders of other currencies, and a renewed aversion to paper assets as governments and central banks pump large amounts of cash into the economy, stoking inflation.

In Switzerland, home to the world's largest private banking industry, demand for gold bars and coins shot up six-fold to 21 tonnes in the third quarter of 2008, more than in any other European country.

Are gold bullion 2009 Britannias expected mid january ????? The 2008 Brits where only released Sept 2008 ?????

Seems rather early for the bullion version, proofs are always earlier. Any news on Fractionals ??

I thought recent 2008 Britannias were only minted to 2500 units (according to the supplier I bought a couple from at the time.)

That doesn't seem like many. Does anyone know if this is true? Why limit it to so few? Is this a maximum number stipulated by a higher governing authority? Will there by any left to last throughout the whole year? Maybe they could be bring forward a new set for January, and have decided to make them official 2009 coins.

Anyone?

I'd like to get some more in January.

Most of us have purchased gold in currencies other than the US dollar. Yet, due to force of habit we have tended to focus on the POG in the US dollar.

Now we have POG rising in US dollars but it seems to be a bit of an anti-climax as the increased price seems mostly due to dollar weakness [in the NZ dollar it has not moved much... rather the kiwi has moved up quite a bit against the US dollar].

Is this a sea change where the dollar will become less significant to the price, or should I say value, of gold? If so which currency would be the best benchmark to measure gold in? The Yen? Or should we just confine ourselves to the currency we purchased in?

Edit: and is gold started to behave as more of a currency here? I have long been convinced that gold would come into its own in the eyes of the market as the king of currencies.

Most of us have purchased gold in currencies other than the US dollar. Yet, due to force of habit we have tended to focus on the POG in the US dollar.

Now we have POG rising in US dollars but it seems to be a bit of an anti-climax as the increased price seems mostly due to dollar weakness [in the NZ dollar it has not moved much... rather the kiwi has moved up quite a bit against the US dollar].

Is this a sea change where the dollar will become less significant to the price, or should I say value, of gold? If so which currency would be the best benchmark to measure gold in? The Yen? Or should we just confine ourselves to the currency we purchased in?

Edit: and is gold started to behave as more of a currency here? I have long been convinced that gold would come into its own in the eyes of the market as the king of currencies.

RH, like you I used to think of gold in USDs only.

It’s only within the last 6 months or so that I have started to view it more in terms of GBP.

The most relevant price for each person is likely to be the currency in which they most regularly deal (hence why I look at the GBP price).

But Bob Hoye in the recent CWR didn’t seem interested at all when Frizzers questioned him about Gold vs. other currencies. Instead he was more interested in the “real price” by which I think he meant gold vs. a basket of commodities.

OK here's the deal -

Do I re-mortgage a house that is fully paid up and with the sterling buy gold / silver?

I know the risks, but the possible upside in precious metals next year (esp. silver) makes me think it is a risk worth taking.

opinions please

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I would be over the moon to be mortgage free and although I'm pretty convinced gold is going way up, I would never borrow money to invest. Why don't you just invest the money you would spend on the mortgage into gold every month? Who knows what's going to happen in the next few years...

Regards,

crude.

OK here's the deal -

Do I re-mortgage a house that is fully paid up and with the sterling buy gold / silver?

I know the risks, but the possible upside in precious metals next year (esp. silver) makes me think it is a risk worth taking.

opinions please

That question was asked of Jim Puplava in his Q-calls on last weeks show.

He gave the answer that he thought it was best to keep your house owned 100%.

OK here's the deal -

opinions please

A mortgage equity withdrawal could make sense if you only used a smaller portion of the houses value. Say 10% or so. I have a sister who has a small mortgage but works in a bank. I imagine her job is at risk. I would like to see her withdraw a small part of her equity and put it into gold. MEWing is not always wrong imo, just when the money is consumed.

Absolutely not. What if you buy your gold, gold goes down and then you lose your job and you have to sell at a loss?

OK here's the deal -

opinions please