• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article...ndon-hotel.html

I'm drinking the good stuff because my redundancy came through Friday (good on my ex-employer). It's all in the above. :(

(I just want to curl up and hide folks... :()

Cheer, up! - it's a great time to have time on your hands. The days are getting longer again (from a low, I know! :) )

Take a walk in the countryside - the world is still a great place.

BTW, I hope your employer did better than the £330 weekly pay limit per year of service. Mine wouldn't, I know that. Plus I'd have to pay for my cider as I dont have any orchard nearby!!!!

I'm drinking the good stuff because my redundancy came through Friday (good on my ex-employer). It's all in the above. :(

Very sorry to read this Plan9.

There is no shame in curling up and taking a break. I am sure you will be back on your feet in no time. All the best.

The biggest error an investor might make in the burgeoning third phase of the gold bull market is thinking the boat has been missed after new price territory is reached. Limiting your gains by trading in and out of the physical is insanity. Physical gold should only be considered if you plan to hold on to it for years, not months. Transportation, storage and security issues will chew up short term gains.

Or are we talking paper gold here?

Thanks, we are talking paper gold. I've allocated and reserved physical elsewhere, but I've a sum of ETF gold that is more 'liquid'. I sold it all and then bought it back later in the day, making enough money to pay for quite a nice family Christmas....

I won't be making a habit of it though....

We are clearly looking at things differently and/or you may have a lot more experience in the markets than I. The problem from my perspective, is you are basing the future on the past, this IMO does not always hold water. The argument you put forward for not buying gold at the moment, is the same argument that was put to me in the summer of '06, I wish I had sunk my savings into gold then... Interestingly it is also the discussion I had with my partner earlier on in the week, she said and rightly so, "...but it's the highest it's ever been, surely it's going to correct from here." I appreciate this concern but how would any investment ever find new highs if this train of thought was true. I honestly believe gold is not over bought, in fact the fundamentalists are not concerned they have bought too much, only they haven't bought enough. I know I'm not going to achieve the maximum return on my money but I'm not aiming to. If I can preserve my purchasing power and make maybe 25%+ I will be an exceptionally happy man. I don't know enough to get my timing right, which is why I'm getting in as early as possible.

Good luck with your trading.

To be honest with you warpig, the experience I have in the markets has come fairly recently and I've not been trading that long either. My only concern was of the 40% correction (in USD) that happened in the December '74 to August '76 period but having looked at the graph for gold in GBP for the same period then it seems to have been perhaps around half this. Gold in GBP is up some 14% from it's March 2008 high whilst gold in USD is down by some 16% so holders in the UK are clearly doing better and maybe suffer less volatility in price.

At the end of the day, most of us are just out to preserve what we have - for many like myself who came from HPC or GHPC then it's the chance to own our own home having been priced out by a fraudulent market. I too will be a happy man if I achieve these aims and maybe having travelled down this path I'm starting to see more opportunities so my play is a little different to others on here in that I'm looking to ride a probable 12/18 month stock market rally first before going totally long gold.

I too would like to wish you good luck - I think anyone investing in this gold bull market for the long term will be richly rewarded.

I'm thinking of buying some palladium from Bairds, about a kilo but in ounces. Looks cheap to me on the charts considering its price over the last 10 years. I think £135 was the cheapest I saw it on their website. I think that i might have to wait for a recovery in the "new" world to realize a decent gain (compared to the banks). Palladium has a great hydrogen related properties that appeal to me, with the new green devices that are being developed. Platinum also looks good, but not as good.

What do you think?

http://goldline.co.uk/investmentBarsPage.p...lladiumBarIdx=1

palladium chart.

http://www.thebulliondesk.com/TBDChart.asp...eName=Palladium

I'm thinking of buying some palladium from Bairds, about a kilo but in ounces. Looks cheap to me on the charts considering its price over the last 10 years. I think £135 was the cheapest I saw it on their website. I think that i might have to wait for a recovery in the "new" world to realize a decent gain (compared to the banks). Palladium has a great hydrogen related properties that appeal to me, with the new green devices that are being developed. Platinum also looks good, but not as good.

What do you think?

http://goldline.co.uk/investmentBarsPage.p...lladiumBarIdx=1

palladium chart.

http://www.thebulliondesk.com/TBDChart.asp...eName=Palladium

I bought some recently. See also this post/thread here: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ost&p=83536

Strange but true;

Gold is often thought of as the ultimate currency, after all you can’t print gold, it is scarce and uniquely indestructible, but when referring to it as a currency, one doesn’t actually think in terms of using it to make purchases, except, and this is quite extraordinary, and I thank Alan Dickie Johnston for the information, if you go to the Singapore Airline website to book a flight, gold is offered as a form of currency for payment. Is it a kind of strange signal that gold is truly going to have time in the sun?

Strange but true;

Gold is often thought of as the ultimate currency, after all you can’t print gold, it is scarce and uniquely indestructible, but when referring to it as a currency, one doesn’t actually think in terms of using it to make purchases, except, and this is quite extraordinary, and I thank Alan Dickie Johnston for the information, if you go to the Singapore Airline website to book a flight, gold is offered as a form of currency for payment. Is it a kind of strange signal that gold is truly going to have time in the sun?

I saw some twit on the other channel accusing the BBC of "gold ramping" just because they showed images of gold bullion in a vault at the start of some program on the banking/financial crisis. Talk about prejudice... but I think it is more than that.. many are in a ideological bubble of a modernity which is deeply iconoclastic. This bubble in the mind is ultimately the prime cause of the economic super bubble that developed.

imo gold is one such icon of a past age that many, perhaps unconsciously, are hostile to. Reaping the whirlwind, the economic super bubble will pop. Looks like paper assets, including some of the weaker currencies will be blown away. Solid gold will be left standing to which people will have to go back to again. i think this will also involve the final deflation of modern pride, arrogance and hubris.

God help us all,

Merry Christmas. :)

Strange but true;

<snip>

if you go to the Singapore Airline website to book a flight, gold is offered as a form of currency for payment.

Strange but untrue actually. See my other post on this.

Yes, gold shows up in the FX lookup table, but so does the Zimbabwe Dollar, Afghanistan Afghani and Tonga Pa'anga - and I wouldn't expect Singapore Airlines to accept those either. Silver is also listed - basically anything with a valid currency code will show up, but only for reference, not as a form of payment.

For the avoidance of all doubt, Singapore's lookup page is here

Keeping tabs on the 'great beast' - Goldman Sucks:

Bill,

I have updated the chart of the Goldman Sachs short position. This position peaked at 52,000 contracts net short in May of 2006 (52 tonnes of gold). The trend has been declining ever since such that today their net short has become a NET LONG position of 842 contracts (0.84 tonnes). This is their largest net long position they have held since I have been keeping track of their positions which is almost 3 years. Goldman Sachs has only been net long on 6 days out of 722 trading days! The way that this position has been steadily reduced is indicative of Goldman Sachs knowing that the profitable days of being net short in gold are over and that the only game in town is to be net long. I estimate this TOCOM account has so far lost GS $180 Million.

Midas1222A.gif

Goldman is not alone in reducing its net short position. The traditional TOCOM large shorts have all reduced their net short position:

Midas1222B.gif

As can be seen the largest traditional shorts on the TOCOM saw it as a real emergency to cover shorts since the credit crisis cranked into high gear in July 2008.

The major traditional gold shorts leaving the short side of the gold market makes Rothschild’s decision to quit the London Gold Fix in 2004 rather prescient. They had been a member of the London Gold Fix since 1919 but in 2004 decided they wanted no further part of it. The Rothschild’s are probably the smartest and most well informed of all the investment houses and always keep a low profile. Interestingly AIG also resigned form the London Fix in 2004 but unfortunately for them they didn’t leave the derivatives market also!

The common theme is that many important players who have made millions in being either suppliers of gold to the market or playing the short side have got out of the market or reduced shorts, or have become net long. This is NOT a coincidence. When such substantial investment houses have been on the gold supply or short side for decades and then switch sides it is not based on speculation but knowledge. It all points to gold making significant moves to the upside. For such a premeditated MASSIVE exodus of the key short side players one can only speculate that the coming upside move will be truly awe inspiring!

Cheers

Adrian

I'm sorry to hear about your redundancy. Enjoy the cider (I'm a Somerset lad myself) but don't curl up for too long - you might find that you're well placed to take advantage of the new opportunities which our changing economy will undoubtedly create. Until then, there's a wide world to embrace. In the current economic climate a redundancy now could be as much a head start as it is a setback.

I agree. Being made redundant now, is significantly better than being made redundant in 6-9 months. Good luck with the job hunting.

I'm sorry to hear about your redundancy. Enjoy the cider (I'm a Somerset lad myself) but don't curl up for too long - you might find that you're well placed to take advantage of the new opportunities which our changing economy will undoubtedly create. Until then, there's a wide world to embrace. In the current economic climate a redundancy now could be as much a head start as it is a setback.