• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Think we will be running out of them next year. :P

I do hope you are right!

Black Rock G&G has been slaughtered this year although has come back quite nicely over the last 2 months. Maybe I need a break!

Just looked at the buy prices for coins in sterling on CID.....krugers/pandas are now over £600!

I put 5k in on Dec 15th

hahahahahaha!

Glad to see your back in the game Steve, I think since last year, we are all probably much better informed and confident of our economic opinions having seen the first stages of the economic collapse that has long been predicted. Don't let the volatility shake you out, accept the day to day ups and down as waves in the ebb and flow of the tide. Over the longer term the pound is sinking and so too will the dollar.

On the subject of todays spike, perhaps it has something to do with this news from Pakistan.

Pakistan cancels military leave

Friday, December 26, 2008 13:25 GMT

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/200...5230859853.html

Pakistan has cancelled leave for members of its military due to fears of a confrontation with India following last month's Mumbai attacks.

The decision on Friday comes after Pakistan's armed forces were placed on high alert.

"Leave has been cancelled because of the situation. All soldiers have been asked to report to duty," an official speaking anonymously said.

The Pakistani military did not immediately comment, but several soldiers confirmed the story.

India says it has not cancelled leave for its armed forces.

"People are taking leave, no problem," said Sitanshu Kar, the Indian defence ministry spokesman.

"We have an optimum number, which is always maintained."

I do hope you are right!

Black Rock G&G has been slaughtered this year although has come back quite nicely over the last 2 months. Maybe I need a break!

Just looked at the buy prices for coins in sterling on CID.....krugers/pandas are now over £600!

Got slaughtered on the juniors earlier in the summer, and have been making it back on the producers recently (SLW, AUY, RGLD, SVM). Hopefully some of the juniors will also recover later next year.

Glad I kept the shares as a minor play, bullion has been a much safer bet.

Glad to see your back in the game Steve, I think since last year, we are all probably much better informed and confident of our economic opinions having seen the first stages of the economic collapse that has long been predicted. Don't let the volatility shake you out, accept the day to day ups and down as waves in the ebb and flow of the tide. Over the longer term the pound is sinking and so too will the dollar.

On the subject of todays spike, perhaps it has something to do with this news from Pakistan.

Pakistan cancels military leave

Friday, December 26, 2008 13:25 GMT

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/200...5230859853.html

Pakistan has cancelled leave for members of its military due to fears of a confrontation with India following last month's Mumbai attacks.

The decision on Friday comes after Pakistan's armed forces were placed on high alert.

"Leave has been cancelled because of the situation. All soldiers have been asked to report to duty," an official speaking anonymously said.

The Pakistani military did not immediately comment, but several soldiers confirmed the story.

India says it has not cancelled leave for its armed forces.

"People are taking leave, no problem," said Sitanshu Kar, the Indian defence ministry spokesman.

"We have an optimum number, which is always maintained."

Hi there Enrieb. I agree, it may well be linked to the growing tensions between Pakistan and India.

By the way, thanks for your PM to me on the HPC site. Much appreciated mate.

Also note this which was posted on JSmineset;

India, Pakistan: Signs of a Coming War

December 24, 2008 | 2002 GMT

Several major signs of a coming Indian-Pakistani war surfaced Dec. 24.

Indian troops reportedly have deployed to the Barmer district of southwest Rajasthan state along the Indian-Pakistani border. Furthermore, the state government of Rajasthan has ordered residents of its border villages to be prepared for relocation. The decision reportedly came after a meeting among the state’s director-general of police, home secretary and an official from the central government. Stratfor confirmed the report with an Indian army officer.

According to India’s ZeeNews, the Pakistani army replaced the Pakistan Rangers that regularly patrol the border with India. The Pakistani troop movements were later confirmed by U.K. Bansal, the additional director-general of India’s Border Security Force (BSF) in Barmer, Rajasthan.

As Stratfor reported Dec. 22, there is a high probability of India using military force against Pakistan after Dec. 26, when a deadline expires for Pakistan to deliver on Indian demands to crack down on Islamist militant proxies that threaten India. With low expectations that Pakistan has the will or capability to deliver on these demands, India has spent the past month preparing for military action against Pakistan. Pressure is now ratcheting up on both sides of the border, with Indian Air Marshal P.K. Barbora, air officer commanding-in-chief of the Western Air Command, telling reporters Dec. 24 that as many as 5,000 targets in Pakistan have thus far been identified, while saying that many of the militants hiding out in camps in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir have already fled.

Got slaughtered on the juniors earlier in the summer, and have been making it back on the producers recently (SLW, AUY, RGLD, SVM). Hopefully some of the juniors will also recover later next year.

Glad I kept the shares as a minor play, bullion has been a much safer bet.

I stuck to mutual funds mainly BR G&G as I didnt feel confident in my own stock picking abilities. I stayed out of juniors completely as I thought they were a bit risky.

I bought my first batch of bullion in july and has done very well in sterling......now up 20% in 5 months!...wahay Only wish I had chosen a bigger proportion of physical in my portfolio. Having said that, from what I am reading, I am expecting the miners to outperform physical this year.

As we are writing, the average UK house price in ounces of gold is: £158,442 / £575.70/oz = 275 oz.

As predicted on here many times before, UK home owners are now experiencing a double whammy of house prices falling off a cliff while their currency is going down the toilet.

hpukingold1930241208bo5.png

w1085.png

Thanks for the update Goldfinger. Moving strongly in the right direction.

I always find the Gold ratio charts useful - a constant in the sea of variables.

I guess the PPT were caught napping today.

Probably drowing their sorrows yesterday, and had a hangover today that kept them away from their 'putas :)

But even more important: let me wish all the community that reads this bb a fantastic new year, and a 'protected' if not a profitable 2009

And thanks and congrats to Dr Bubb, Steve et al who run this truly first rate, informative, and pleasant forum

Seasonal Greetings :D

It doesn't seem that long ago we were passing £500/oz. Now close to $600/oz. Definitely in a bear market :lol: :lol:

Haha. :lol: Nice rocket pic.

Looking at GBP prices is a bit shocking. Not much below euro prices these days.

GOLD IN 2008 & THE EXCITING 2009 - http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/p.../2008/1226.html

...In conclusion we have the opinion of the one man who respected gold yet worked so hard to sideline it in favor of $ hegemony. On May 20, 1999, Alan Greenspan testified before Congress, “Gold is always accepted and is the ultimate means of payment and is perceived to be an element of stability in the currency and in the ultimate value of the currency and that historically has always been the reason why governments hold gold.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/new...500/7799541.stm

Dunno if this has been posted already but it's heavy sh*t !

China has said it is to allow some trade with its neighbours to be settled with its currency, the yuan. The pilot scheme was announced in a package of measures designed to help exporters hit by the global downturn. It means if the two parties to a trade have yuan available, they need not enter world exchange markets to pay.

Most of China's foreign trade is settled in US dollars or the euro, leaving exporters vulnerable to exchange rate fluctuations.

The yuan is not yet a freely convertible currency.

Don't the Chinese have a huge presence in almost every market in Asia ?

Supply and demand...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

AngloGold Ashanti Says Guinea Operations Continuing (Update1)

By Garth Theunissen

Dec. 28 (Bloomberg) -- AngloGold Ashanti Ltd., which owns the Siguiri gold mine in Guinea, said its operations in the West African country are continuing, even after the ruling military junta said yesterday it canceled all mining agreements.

“Our operations are continuing,” said AngloGold’s spokesman, Alan Fine, in a telephone interview from Cape Town today. “Our understanding of the situation is that the authorities have said they are going to cancel all operations where mining rights have been obtained under the table and that doesn’t apply to us.”

Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, head of the junta which seized power on Dec. 23 following the death of President Lasana Conte, said a decision had been made to cancel all mining agreements in the country and revise existing contracts due to corruption in the industry, according to a statement to political parties at the Alpha Yaya Diallo military camp in the capital of Conakry.

Transparency International ranked Guinea 173rd out of 180 countries in its league table of perceived corruption this year.

“Activities in the gold-bearing zones” have been “arrested at the moment,” Camara said yesterday.

AngloGold, the biggest producer of the metal in Africa, is the first mining company to respond to the statement. Rio Tinto Group, the world’s third-largest mining company which is exploring part of the Simandou iron ore deposit, ordered it staff in the capital on Dec. 23 to stay at home. Calls to Nick Cobban, a London-based spokesman for Rio, were not immediately returned today.

BHP Billiton

BHP Billiton Ltd., which plans to develop an alumina refinery and bauxite mine in a venture with Global Alumina Corp., has shut its Conakry office. Spokesmen for the company’s Johannesburg and London-based offices did not immediately respond to messages left on their mobile phones.

“According to our information they are reviewing mining rights,” said Fine. “We are happy and willing to talk to the new rulers as long as the interests and rights of all parties are recognized.”

Gold Trading and Investment, #11: Jan. 2009

(started on Dec. 28th)

"...I am alert to a possible breakout in Gold over $860, an important resistance level.

Gold / GLD ... update

aa6nx1.gif

I am a little concerned that the Gold bulls are getting a bit to complacent. But in their defense, I hasten to add that January is normally a good month for Gold and Gold stocks. If Gold does breakout over $860, it could move $100 rather fast. And this time it seems likely to drag CDNX (and the Juniors) up with it. The tax-oriented selling that we see in the 4th quarter must be over by now. So the move in CDNX could be a sharp one."

- above, from Dr.B's Trading Diary:

:: aa4tr9.gif : aa5qh9.gif : aaaxs3.gif

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=5460

== == ==

Last page of Dec.'08 thread: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....5226&st=620