Hmmm. What do you guys think? I have some currency ££ things, you know, "I cant believe its not money". What looks the best buy, gold, silver, platinum or paladium or shall I wait and build my cash position to buy on weakness? Whats your gut feelings?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hmmm. What do you guys think? I have some currency ££ things, you know, "I cant believe its not money". What looks the best buy, gold, silver, platinum or paladium or shall I wait and build my cash position to buy on weakness? Whats your gut feelings?

Depends what you have already but if buying in ££'s Silver still looks a very good bet to me right now as it's still relatively cheap when comparing with how it's performed over the past 24 months. Gold is as expensive as it has ever been in £'s so while it may well run and run from here Silver looks a little less risky to me. I see this as especially the case if you already have Gold.

I would try to build a position in both gold & silver. I think silver looks cheaper at the moment, but silver is a lot more volatile than gold, so would try to make sure I had a balanced holding.

If u put some credit in what Hoye, etc are saying in Frizzers latest podcast, then maybe buy silver at GM with the option to swap for gold (or other currencies) later.

I would try to build a position in both gold & silver. I think silver looks cheaper at the moment, but silver is a lot more volatile than gold, so would try to make sure I had a balanced holding.

cheapest silver coin on CID = £14.23 inc VAT

spot price £7.64

thats a premium of 86%

I hope silver does go up as I bought a few hundred ounces when it was $18 :(

I dont think silver is ever 'cheap' in this ripoff country

cheapest silver coin on CID = £14.23 inc VAT

spot price £7.64

thats a premium of 86%

I hope silver does go up as I bought a few hundred ounces when it was $18 :(

I dont think silver is ever 'cheap' in this ripoff country

I wouldn't consider buying silver at an 86% premium to be cheap. I was more talking about buying at spot via GoldMoney. I do see the attraction with buying coins, but to hold them for a trading benefit with such a premium doesn't wash with me. I was buying gold coins off ebay over a year ago, and always getting them at below spot or leaving them.

Buy silver at spot (+small commission) without VAT at GoldMoney is my recommendation.

Im pretty well stocked up with gold and silver I have 5 x more silver in weight. I feel its quite balanced and Im happy to add to it. It is said that you should buy on weakness. Is buying now weakness or strength? Im stuck between buying now or waiting a while. If buying now I might buy some paladium from Bairds, but I was planing to pay £150 an ounce or less. Its about £160 now.

Thanks for you thoughts.

I wouldn't consider buying silver at an 86% premium to be cheap. I was more talking about buying at spot via GoldMoney. I do see the attraction with buying coins, but to hold them for a trading benefit with such a premium doesn't wash with me. I was buying gold coins off ebay over a year ago, and always getting them at below spot or leaving them.

Buy silver at spot (+small commission) without VAT at GoldMoney is my recommendation.

The most I paid for silver coins was £12.56 and the least was £9.95. Actually, I got some silver brittanias for £13.35 too. I dont fancy paying more for maples or philys. There is a guy on ebay selling pandas for £15 inc P&P if I get 25.

I think I will check out your gold money suggestion. I heard BV are considering doing VAT free silver btw.

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: I just completed a goldmoney account although im not CAP verified as the online version doesnt work. They are a bit nosey with their questions!! Anyhow, silver at £8 an ounce and easy to sell.

There is only one alternative to the dollar

By David Hale

Published: January 5 2009 19:01 | Last updated: January 5 2009 19:01

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5b21dafc-db5a-11...?nclick_check=1

Can you guess what it is ? :D

As a result of the global scope of the recession, there is no country that wants its exchange rate to appreciate. The clear alternative to the dollar in 2009 is not other currencies but that ancient form of money: gold. Precious metals could emerge as a hedge for investors suspicious of central banks and fearful that inflation will be the simplest solution to the challenge of global deleveraging.

I'd average into silver and oil, over 1-2 months

From DrB's Diary, where I talk about day-to-day movements

Scotty, More Power !

SPY ... update

bigmd7.gif

We had 5 days of rising stocks last week but it came on light volume. By Friday, SPY had risen to near the important 76d.MA. But it simply lacked the power to push thru that level. So yesterday came up and touched the MA (at SPY-94.55) and fell back by a small 0.12% for the day, to close at $92.85.

Volume remained below average, but it was heavier than on the rally days preceeding it.

Stocks will need some upwards volume to push thru the MA convincingly. It si interesting that the first 5 trading days are considered an important test, giving a valuable signal for the year as a whole.

I would certainly like to see the 76d.MA exceeded on healthy volume before the week's end. A failure to do so, would be a negative sign, and would demoralise the bulls.

By contrast, HK's Hang Seng has pushed thru it ... update

bigrq4.gif

But EWH, the US-traded etf for Hong Kong has not pushed through.

GOLD : Both gold shares (GDX) and gold (GLD, the etf) are well above their 76d.MAs.

bigzx0.gif

However, GLD is now struggling to break through the critical 1 year/252d.MA now.

We are in a critical week, methinks.

wow...i have a lot to catch up with.

Great stuff btw (re:diary) Drb

If Gld is to break that most recent high (circa 920) the volume would have to triple to 50-60m wouldnt it?

I have a stop at 832. If it gets that far down i'll have to re-evaluate

SMALL BETS allowed -- for those who want just a "small punt"on Gold or Oil

================

(This is a new business idea that I am testing - I got so excited about it this morning, I decided to buy

the domain name : GrudgeBet.com - what do you think of the idea?)

003byd7.png

Click to: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=5558

I want to set the Bets up as range bets: upside vs. downside. with maximum timeframes of up to 12 months.

If you have a conviction, but dont want to put any "serious money" behind it, why not seek a counterparty?

My idea is that you could do that (especially on Gold or Oil through GEI.)

One bet is already set up with myself and BubblePricker. He told me this morning that I saw no chance that

the Gold price would trade over $1,000 in 2009. So I said fine: pay me if that happens, and I will pay you

if Gold slides a similar percentage to the downside.

Look to the new thread to see how I have set the bet up.

Before the bet is "live", he must come back and quote my posting, and reply: AGREED.

Then, the bet is confirmed.

In this case, the bet is small, and we are relying on pure TRUST between ourselves that the bet will be settled

through the payment of a meal. In the future, I have an idea that GEI might hold the stakes, in the case where

the bet is over a certain minimum, such as Pds.200. For doing so, GEI might take a share of "the pot" such as 5%,

which is similar to what LasVegas takes from Poker pots. I do not want to do this for bets beyond a certain size,

such as Pds.1,000, since then it is approaching serious money.

(Note: smaller trades of less than Pds.200, would have to be on a pure "Trust" basis, and so could larger bets,

if noth parties agree.)

If the idea takes off, I would want to hold the stakes in GoldMoney grams, assuming the two parties agree. This

way the winner may have an "extra gain" from Gold price appreciation. Or at least, his purchasing power would

be intact.

Whay do people think of this idea?

There has been some good action with Hochschild Mining (HOC.L) lately is anyone else in this one?

Another 10.6% up today.

(quote is from DrBubbs diary - didn't want to disrupt his thread)

Bought it this morning after some quick research last night - seems very undervalued for a gold miner in the FTSE 250 which makes a profit each year!. I can only think it's off a lot of peoples radar as I only just discovered it whilst searching for UK listed gold miners.... Randgold in the FTSE 100 has gone completely nuts and is above it's pre-crash peak and yet this share could triple from where it is today and still be lower than it's peak. I think this shows the mentality of some investors who are piling into the obvious gold 'mini-bubble' share as physical gold in sterling terms has risen so much - the reality is that Randgold was lower in mid-July when gold was a lot higher in dollar terms.

Hochschild Mining - I don't think the masses realise it's a gold mining share at the moment. Now if it were Hochschild Gold Mining, well perhaps the share price would be a lot higher as the masses would spot it straight away..... just my take on things.

(quote is from DrBubbs diary - didn't want to disrupt his thread)

Bought it this morning after some quick research last night - seems very undervalued for a gold miner in the FTSE 250 which makes a profit each year!. I can only think it's off a lot of peoples radar as I only just discovered it whilst searching for UK listed gold miners.... Randgold in the FTSE 100 has gone completely nuts and is above it's pre-crash peak and yet this share could triple from where it is today and still be lower than it's peak. I think this shows the mentality of some investors who are piling into the obvious gold 'mini-bubble' share as physical gold in sterling terms has risen so much - the reality is that Randgold was lower in mid-July when gold was a lot higher in dollar terms.

Hochschild Mining - I don't think the masses realise it's a gold mining share at the moment. Now if it were Hochschild Gold Mining, well perhaps the share price would be a lot higher as the masses would spot it straight away..... just my take on things.

They also mine a lot of silver and should do well with the silver recovery that is happening. Have held for a while now after a No6 recommendation, thanks No6.

Gold money-I've been trying last night and tonight to get CAP verified using the online method and I get an error message. Has anyone else used the online method? Is it just me being thick or does it not work?

Seems allot of hassel compared to BV.

Beware, commodity index rebalancing ahead

In financial terms, we expect the rebalancing to have the greatest impact in gold, COMEX copper, crude oil, gold, and live cattle. We estimate that the rebalancing of the two indices is expected to result in $877 million of selling in gold, $699 million of buying in COMEX copper, $528 million of selling in live cattle, and $523 million of buying in crude oil.

ABB

Gold money-I've been trying last night and tonight to get CAP verified using the online method and I get an error message. Has anyone else used the online method? Is it just me being thick or does it not work?

i remember having an error message - but cant remember how it was solved - i think i may have needed to phone them

yes but BV dont do silver unfortunately

The online method must be new. I joined GM in the old days (September 2008) when we had to use paper.