surely they cant keep this game up much longer

IN FRAUD WE TRUST

Excellent article. I've got a few questions. As the PTB push down the AU price do so wont the oscillations in the AU price increase as they lose control.

Or will the emerenge of a new class of buyer have a dampening effect. For example the private investors descibed by Merril Lynch in the telegraph article.

We could be talking about different markets. I'm not sure how strongly the two markets, physical and commex are connected. I have read alot on here about an increasing disconnect.

If I was in power now in the US and I wanted to encourage people to buy treasury bonds, would smashing the gold price in the next three month attract me because it could deter some potential AU buyers.

If I was an enemy of the US I'd take advantage of that to buy more gold thus strengthening my long term position by swapping dollar for gold pushing the price back up.

Manipulating the oil price seems attractive because people need it and it's used up soon after pumping. Has contributed towards gthis recession though.

I think the world (outside the markets) is too complicated to manipulate like this for more then a short time. The oscillations are caused by people buying on bad news causing peaks. Then the dips in price that we see after peaks are investors selling high. The amount of bad news increases so the price of AU increases.

Finally it's anecdotal but when I see top top polictians on TV looking shell shocked, it make me doubt they are in control. They probably thought they were until last year.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Check out the great charts for 10x currencies against gold.

The Global Gold Bull Market in Major Currencies

Commodities / Gold & Silver 2009 Jan 09, 2009 - 01:05 PM

By: Zeal_LLC

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8150.html

To find out, I built 10 gold-bull charts denominated in 10 different currencies. They all represent either globally-recognized elite currencies or relatively strong regional currencies used by large fractions of the world's population. Because local supply-and-demand dynamics can cause gold prices to vary a bit within each currency's sphere of influence, I used forex-implied gold prices rather than averaging countless series of local-currency gold-price data.

The bottom line is gold's performance during late 2008's epic stock panic did not look anywhere near as bad to most of the rest of the world as it did to American investors. Unfortunately our dollar-centric worldview greatly distorted gold's true performance. It is a big mistake to read too much into dollar gold's recent technicals that were driven by an incredibly anomalous panic-driven dollar surge that is already reversing.

Rather than dampening investors' enthusiasm, gold's new bull highs achieved in the midst of the panic in much of the world will only accelerate gold investment demand. Post-panic, investors everywhere are much more conscious of risk and diversification. Increasing numbers will begin the time-honored best practice of always having some material fraction of one's total investment portfolio deployed in physical gold.

An update on gold in the public domain:

post-1632-1231695352_thumb.jpg

This outfit were also in the city in May 2008.

Unfortunately no doubt folks will be letting their coins etc go for well below spot.

There were three different outfits advertising to buy gold in this weeks edition!

How many others are seeing an increase in their home towns?

SafeBetter

LOL

I recall talking to an older friend who remember the last gold rushes. She said dealers were buying gold on the streets of London from the public.

Of course the dealers weighed the gold and paid what was due according to weight. The public were happy leaving with a wad of notes.

BUT the dealers got even a better deal, people were handing in old heirlooms, many years old. These items were in fact more valuable many times over the gold content.

Don't forget old sovereigns command a numismatic premium.

Not so crazy if the descripton is true...

"I believe only 2000 were minted making this a very collectible coin."

It does look a very beautiful coin.

£890.00....

It might get to £1000 sooner than Errol thinks.... :lol:

These Austrian 1 dukat coins often supprise me. This one is going for £142 and yet you can get them for £68 on CID. Thats over twice the price! Think of a krugerrand going for £1300 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRILLIANT-UNC-1915-A...%3A1|240%3A1318

These Austrian 1 dukat coins often supprise me. This one is going for £142 and yet you can get them for £68 on CID. Thats over twice the price! Think of a krugerrand going for £1300 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRILLIANT-UNC-1915-A...%3A1|240%3A1318

That is crazy - 19 bids as well. Are these not reproduction coins, so dated 1915 but actually struck recently?.

Gold rush erupts over financial crisis

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5014099,00.html

THE global financial crisis has sparked a new gold rush.

Worried investors seeking a safe home for their money are ploughing billions of dollars into the precious metal in a bid to preserve their wealth, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Demand has now reached such unprecedented levels that the Perth Mint, Australia's biggest wholesaler of gold coins and bars, has been forced to ration its sales.

"We are working three shifts a day, six days a week, and still can't keep up with demand," Perth Mint CEO Ed Harbuz said. "I've never known anything like this in the precious metals market.

"We would be working Sundays too but we are having difficulty getting enough staff."

Non-minted gold in the form of cast bars produced by Perth Mint's local refinery can still be bought, although customers who want the bigger bars often have to wait several weeks.

One customer recently bought $500,000 worth of bullion and wanted it delivered so he could hold it personally.

"For very big orders we normally keep the gold in our depository for security reasons," Mr Harbuz said.

"Orders of $10 million or more are not unusual. Often the orders are much larger if we are dealing with pension funds or institutional investors."

It's starting to look deliberate that they won't quote prices in GBP on British sites... They're deliberately hiding the sliding pound in the equation...

Yep, it certainly looks different in pounds

Gold hit an all-time high of $1,011 £503.7 per ounce in March, hitting an all time high of £601.8 in December before falling back to end the year at $870 £596.1

What have I just missed ???? Gold just fell off a cliff.

I cant see any economic figures today. Or it being dragged down by Oil ????

I don't see this as major and was half expecting this from my pnf charts.

Have a look here:

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.pnf?...3;20]&pnf=y

url should be "http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.pnf?c=$GOLD,PLTCDANRBO[PA][D][F1!3!!!4!20]&pnf=y"

If we bounce of the 820 lower level, hopefully we will be able to break through 865!!!

I don't see this as major and was half expecting this from my pnf charts.

Have a look here:

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.pnf?...GOLD,PLTCDANRBO[PA][D][F1!3!!!4!20]&pnf=y

If we bounce of the 820 lower level, hopefully we will be able to break through 865!!!

I hope we do see a break through of $865, as I am being forced to raise some short term capital over the next 8 weeks and need to sell a little bullion. I missed the £600 fix last week so hope we reach that level again soon.

Why is when you want to buy the price keeps going up and when you need to sell it goes the other way :-)