• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

It has been commented on recently the deleveraging has finished, who says? Surely this will be an ongoing process...???

I don't think it is 100% over, but I feel as if the worst is behind us. (I could be wrong, but my logic goes along the lines of "don't panic, panic first"...)

The ones that have yet to deleverage either have alternative strategies/plans in place or are taking the "do nothing" approach.

That is crazy - 19 bids as well. Are these not reproduction coins, so dated 1915 but actually struck recently?.

Yes they are restrikes, produced by the offical Mint of the country. Each time the dies are recreated there are very slight differences, finding one that is actually produced in 1915 is nearly impossible. There are collectors that specifically deal in just a single countries ducat, you may find that this one could be one of the more hard to get versions.

Latest musings from Jack Crooks

FX Trading – Gold not shining lately…hmmm

Gold bugs call your office! As gold goes so goes the dollar in the opposite direction? That is what we’ve been seeing lately. Today, gold is sharply lower at the moment and trading below its 200-day and 28-day moving averages. Notice the classic lower highs and lower lows on the chart

We continue to believe the markdown in growth out of China is key to the future path of gold. With our agnostic gaze, we view gold primarily as a liquidity-driven risk appetite asset.

Whenever we say that, we are told gold is much more; it’s a safe haven and a substitute for the ugly fiat currencies (we agree paper currencies are very ugly). But…

How much more stimulus is possible to pump out and cheapen paper currency the world over? How much closer can we get to all out war in the Middle East? How much more dangerous can the Pakistan-India on-going quagmire become? How much have the probabilities increased for social unrest in China and the potential it has to destabilize all kinds of stuff? We guess things could get much worse, no doubt. But yikes! This is nasty stuff on the horizon that we can verbalize and begin see taking shape. Yet the supposed supreme safe haven—gold—continues to fade on all this stuff.

Aren’t asset markets supposed to price in these expectations? Is anyone expecting these areas to improve anytime soon? Not that we’ve seen. Gold bugs have gotten exactly what they have wanted and the yellow metal keeps fading.

So, gold bugs (and that includes you Dad if you are reading) it’s time to call your office!

Jack Crooks Black Swan Capital LLC

Sold for £890 + £6 postage

Wow :o Could have bought all you wanted of these 18 months ago for £400 and under :lol:

I got a 1/2 britannia off ebay 18 months ago for £160, you could then buy coins for less than spot. How quickly things change.

I have seen the value of my gold stash drop lower that what I have paid for... :angry:

but then its shot up way above my original sterling investment... this has happened a few times already,

I am no longer nervous about these dips.

Hear, hear ! Gave up being concerned as soon as price in sterling blasted through £500. Who cares about the buck ? All this chop is largely irrelevant.

I hope we do see a break through of $865, as I am being forced to raise some short term capital over the next 8 weeks and need to sell a little bullion. I missed the £600 fix last week so hope we reach that level again soon.

Why is when you want to buy the price keeps going up and when you need to sell it goes the other way :-)

sod's law

:lol:

:lol: . I dont particularly agree with him, but i do like to listen to what he has to say

I do not particularly like dogmatism towards the future wherever i find it, either for or against a position. And you would have to be extremely dogmatic with your opinions to write-off holding some gold for the future. Mind you, the same could be said for someone 100% invested in metal :lol: ... mind you that is a bit different considering they are earning another currency [besides metal] and metal could one day be hard to find.

Here a technical comment by Sinclair:

http://jsmineset.com/index.php/2009/01/13/jims-mailbox-60/

image00220090113-035118-thumb.jpg

Dear Alex,

You ask about the high 2012 potential, not 2010.

The answer is this chart maximizes along the upper trend line at Alf’s mark of:

Major THREE up from $700 to $3,500 (a Fibonacci 5 times the $500 low);

Major FOUR down from $3,500 to $2,500 (a 29% decline);

Major FIVE up from $2,500 to $10,000 (also a 4 fold increase, same as ONE).

Jim

100 kronen one seems pretty decent value. £578 for almost a troy oz seems alright.

In fact, have a chunk of a spreadsheet I did as I can't attach it:

4 Dukaten Neupragung	                13.76 Gramm	13.76	£261.06	£18.97
100 Kronen                         	30.49 Gramm	30.49	£578.47	£18.97
1000 Schilling, Babenberger	        12.15 Gramm	12.15	£231.07	£19.02
8 Florin (20 Fr.)	                5.81 Gramm	5.81    £110.76	£19.06
50 Mex. Peso	                        37.50 Gramm	37.50	£714.89	£19.06

Top 5 cheapest in £/g from CID.

edit: that took ages to line up properly!