• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

thats quite a mark up on the Britannia's. even the krugs have a hefty premium from cid - i think i would buy phils from them if i was going to buy atm.

the way i see it is that because Brittania's are CGT free, I may be spending £45 extra now over a philharmonic (even though they look much nicer) but I will be possibly saving myself a tax bill of £2000 per coin a few years down the line!

the way i see it is that because Brittania's are CGT free, I may be spending £45 extra now over a philharmonic (even though they look much nicer) but I will be possibly saving myself a tax bill of £2000 per coin a few years down the line!

Arn't Phils legal tender as 100 Euros.

I'm thinking of selling some krugs on ebay and buying Brits with the proceeds - anyone know what the selling costs / commission are for gold coins on ebay ?

I'm thinking of selling some krugs on ebay and buying Brits with the proceeds - anyone know what the selling costs / commission are for gold coins on ebay ?

I asked some one on ebay how much the fees were on the sale of their krugerrand. They said got around £650 if the sell it for £680. I thought that wasn't too bad compared to a dealers fees.

Whats the general opinion on where gold in UK£ is heading in the short term? My BV account is primed. :)

In my amateur opinion, we are in a period of consolidation but by March I expect gold to have breached the £600/t oz price tag with its upward onslaught.

I asked some one on ebay how much the fees were on the sale of their krugerrand. They said got around £650 if the sell it for £680. I thought that wasn't too bad compared to a dealers fees.

Whats the general opinion on where gold in UK£ is heading in the short term? My BV account is primed. :)

In my amateur opinion, we are in a period of consolidation but by March I expect gold to have breached the £600/t oz price tag with its upward onslaught.

So, in your amature opinion, do you think I should wait and see what next week brings? I know its hard to tell but whats your gut feeling?

I would say yes. I know the world can come crumbling down at any moment and why risk missing the boat, but... I think you can afford a week IMHO. I'm taking my time on my next silver purchase, I'm keeping my eye on the market, but I will probably fill my boots next week.

So, in your amature opinion, do you think I should wait and see what next week brings? I know its hard to tell but whats your gut feeling?

100 kronen one seems pretty decent value. £578 for almost a troy oz seems alright.

In fact, have a chunk of a spreadsheet I did as I can't attach it:

4 Dukaten Neupragung	                13.76 Gramm	13.76	£261.06	£18.97
100 Kronen                         	30.49 Gramm	30.49	£578.47	£18.97
1000 Schilling, Babenberger	        12.15 Gramm	12.15	£231.07	£19.02
8 Florin (20 Fr.)	                5.81 Gramm	5.81    £110.76	£19.06
50 Mex. Peso	                        37.50 Gramm	37.50	£714.89	£19.06

Top 5 cheapest in £/g from CID.

edit: that took ages to line up properly!

Interesting data, thanks! In ounces of gold per pound these the 'best value' coins, so what would be the downsides (I'm guessing there are some given the price!) versus Krugs etc? Just less demand, less saleable? I'd never really considered these and others before - showing my ignorance of the physical market!

Harder to sell.

Interesting data, thanks! In ounces of gold per pound these the 'best value' coins, so what would be the downsides (I'm guessing there are some given the price!) versus Krugs etc? Just less demand, less saleable? I'd never really considered these and others before - showing my ignorance of the physical market!

4 Dukaten Neupragung	                13.76 Gramm	13.76	£261.06	£18.97
100 Kronen                         	30.49 Gramm	30.49	£578.47	£18.97
1000 Schilling, Babenberger	        12.15 Gramm	12.15	£231.07	£19.02
8 Florin (20 Fr.)	                5.81 Gramm	5.81    £110.76	£19.06
50 Mex. Peso	                        37.50 Gramm	37.50	£714.89	£19.06

Top 5 cheapest in £/g from CID.

edit: that took ages to line up properly!

does this take into account the gold content? most of those are only 90%

Here's a very interesting item from the Ticker Forum: Indiana considering a bill requiring gold accounts for state.

Here's the bill.

Synopsis: Use of gold by the state and local government. Requires the treasurer of state to designate one or more electronic gold currency payment providers to be a payment provider for the state and political subdivisions. Requires the treasurer of state and fiscal officers of political subdivisions to: (1) maintain one or more electronic gold currency accounts with a designated electronic gold currency payment provider; and (2) conduct all monetary transactions of the state or political subdivisions through electronic gold currency accounts. Provides that an electronic gold currency payment provider must use an electronic gold currency unit that constitutes a monetary unit of account and represents a claim of title to and ownership of a specifically defined, fixed weight of gold held by an independent specie vault. Specifies that a specie exchange with which an electronic gold currency payment provider associates must conduct the business of exchanging gold and silver coin, legal tender of the United States, and the electronic gold currency of the electronic gold currency payment provider. Provides that after December 31, 2009, the state and political subdivisions may not compel or require any person to recognize, receive, pay out, deliver, promise to pay, or otherwise use or employ anything but gold and silver coin (in that form or in the form of a designated electronic gold currency) as media of exchange with respect to certain payments. Provides that after December 31, 2009, a person receiving certain payments from the state or a political subdivision has the option of accepting payment in either legal tender of the United States or in electronic gold currency...

Zero chance of it being enacted, I would have thought.

Here's a very interesting item from the Ticker Forum: Indiana considering a bill requiring gold accounts for state.

Here's the bill.

Zero chance of it being enacted, I would have thought.

True, because this bit makes it unconstitutional :P

...has the option of accepting payment in either legal tender of the United States or...

IMO there is far too much attention paid to the GoldUS$ rate.

Here is the 5 year GoldEUR chart, showing a clear upward trend:

GoldEUR_090117.gif

And here is the 5 year GoldGBP chart, also showing a clear up trend:

GoldGBP_090117.gif

The recent 'strength' of the US$ means that GoldUS$ will be lower than the other crosses.

I would say yes. I know the world can come crumbling down at any moment and why risk missing the boat, but... I think you can afford a week IMHO. I'm taking my time on my next silver purchase, I'm keeping my eye on the market, but I will probably fill my boots next week.

hmmm, dooh. :)

Looks like bank troubles has pushed the price up again and possibly broken the down trend.