Gold is now looking expensive as people have less and less money - I really can't see gold doing much next year with inflation falling. Until all the extra money that governments are printing finds it's way into the wider economy and inflation concerns grow once again then I think there is little to propel gold higher over the next 12-18 months. This current rise may be the last - if stocks rally from here then that is where the money will go and not into gold, although I think it will go higher till about early/mid February.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold is now looking expensive as people have less and less money - I really can't see gold doing much next year with inflation falling. Until all the extra money that governments are printing finds it's way into the wider economy and inflation concerns grow once again then I think there is little to propel gold higher over the next 12-18 months. This current rise may be the last - if stocks rally from here then that is where the money will go and not into gold, although I think it will go higher till about early/mid February.

was reviewing support/resistanced today on the monthly, the real support , well-well traded between 400-450, and 550 is good psychological level, but was traded very briefly, so, i think we might hit it in 2010 and this would be a false breakdown below the 500 level and so, the final bottom

was reviewing support/resistanced today on the monthly, the real support , well-well traded between 400-450, and 550 is good psychological level, but was traded very briefly, so, i think we might hit it in 2010 and this would be a false breakdown below the 500 level and so, the final bottom

Didn't quite understand that Ker and are you talking £ or $?

Ta

post a chart if you dare ;)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Reactions to US Mint's New Pricing Policy

http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/r...ew-pricing.html

It has now been one week since the US Mint unveiled their new pricing policy for Gold and Platinum Numismatic products. Yesterday, collectors got a first taste of the new policy as prices for nearly all gold coins increased, ironically coinciding with a sharp decrease in the market price of gold. So far, reactions to the new pricing policy have been resoundingly negative.

imo gold will not perform as a commodity, as you would expect if all the printed money were to find its way into the markets. I think this is a very simplistic way of looking at things today.

Rather, gold will perform as a currency as other debt-laden currencies further weaken. The only reason gold will double or triple its price is because the currency it is priced in has weakened inversely. Then factor in increased demand for a strong currency.......

Don't look for markets to pick up because they won't once a deflation has set in. Rather look for currencies to buckle under their debt load and loss of confidence.

And it's on the march (in GBP) in response to yesterday's news. Why did I ever doubt it!!!

It is the fin[anci]al solution. :)

Now on holiday back in NZ, I doubted my ability to persuade my family to buy a little... you know, for "insurance" purposes. No such problem, there is a deep-seated sense of unease, near anxiety, here about the economy and the currency which makes people very responsive to buying gold.... once it is explained to them.

Huge Iron Age haul of coins found

One of the UK's largest hauls of Iron Age gold coins, which would have been worth in today's money up to £1m, has been found in Suffolk.

The 824 so-called staters were found in a broken pottery jar buried in a field near Wickham Market by a local man using a metal detector.

Jude Plouviez, of the Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service, said the coins dated from 40BC to AD15.

They are thought to have been minted by predecessors of Iceni Queen Boudicca.

Ms Plouviez said their value when in circulation had been estimated at a modern equivalent of between £500,000 and £1m, but they were likely to be worth less than that now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7835228.stm

Gold undervalued today or was gold overvalued back then?

Some staters are very rare, as their designs are unique and command a price far in excess of their weight in gold. Others are quite common types and fetch the going rate. Given that they weigh about 6gms each, I calculate the find at approx. 5kg, which again is approx. 100k of Gordon's finest UK pound things.

Gold is not expensive. Gold is dirt-cheap.

If you live your life in GDPland, then PMs are just about the only option at the moment.

Interest rates almost nil, stock market going down and look at the $ exchange rate - 1.3887!

Sterling is no longer toast, its now carbonized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonization

Some staters are very rare, as their designs are unique and command a price far in excess of their weight in gold. Others are quite common types and fetch the going rate. Given that they weigh about 6gms each, I calculate the find at approx. 5kg, which again is approx. 100k of Gordon's finest UK pound things.

Lovely aren’t they! Wouldn’t that be a fantastic find in your back garden. They would be made from electrum at an average 18ct and just under 100toz of gold but as TheSnake said the numismatic value will be massive if any are rare.

Just took some profits with 1/3 of my stash at 610. I'm in a position where I may need actual pounds (I know.....) soon so didn't want to miss out like the last time I thought about selling, didn't, and lost out on a chance to buy in 10% lower.

Feel free to hurl bricks etc. Just posting a slightly different view to stimulate debate.

(FYI - my stash is 1/3 in ETFs and 2/3 in BV - just sold the entire ETF portion)

Just took some profits with 1/3 of my stash at 610. I'm in a position where I may need actual pounds (I know.....) soon so didn't want to miss out like the last time I thought about selling, didn't, and lost out on a chance to buy in 10% lower.

Feel free to hurl bricks etc. Just posting a slightly different view to stimulate debate.

(FYI - my stash is 1/3 in ETFs and 2/3 in BV - just sold the entire ETF portion)

Good for you Wanderer – I was thinking of doing something similar today but haven’t got round to it.

I did manage to buy last week when it was around £550-£560 and that was with cash I took when it hit its previous high just before Xmas. No skill mind you, I just sell off a bit when it makes new highs and then reinvest when it drops back a bit. Of course you can never be 100% on anything in relation to investing but I find it very hard to build any kind of case in favour of GBP over Gold.

Funnily enough my ratio of ETF to BV holdings are not massively dissimilar to yours and I am always looking for opportunities to whittle down my exposure in relation to the former.