Was that just the briefest of spikes?? It is back down to $1601 today... the 22nd of January. :blink: :blink: [just checked on the price at goldmoney which they keep up-dated well I believe]

Also, I think the author of that article is confused about how many grams there are in an ounce.

Hmm, odd, I didn't check the numbers. Was in a hurry.

I've just found this NZ$ gold live chart:

gold_1d_o_NZD.png

http://goldprice.org/NewCharts/gold/images/gold_1d_o_NZD.png

http://www.goldprice.org/gold-price.html

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

DOUBLE POST:

Frizzers on some interesting patterns in the price of gold (more evidence of manipulation?). Good stuff.

Gold is shifting from West to East – along with the balance of power

http://www.moneyweek.com/investments/preci...gged-14501.aspx

This might be true only if one could sell and buy gold at spot prices without any imposed commisions. Is there a way to do this?

This might be true only if one could sell and buy gold at spot prices without any imposed commisions. Is there a way to do this?

yes, local jewellers. ;)

but you would need to know your coins I suppose (or trust them) & you will be limited to small buys I would imagine.

One local jeweller near me had a lot of 1oz & half oz gold coins (1oz kruggs mainly), but he said he also had some small gold bars. He also had loads of silver.

unfortunately I didn't find out until after I had bought my first coins.

edited - this would only apply on the buying side I would imagine (obviously).

http://www.mikeruppert.blogspot.com/

THE DRAMA HEIGHTENS, THE TENSIONS MOUNT

by

Michael C. Ruppert

© Copyright 2009, Michael C. Ruppert. All Rights Reserved.

JAN. 21, 2009 -- 9 PM PST -- What a day. OK, the good news: Obama is doing as much or more than I had hoped. By his repudiation of Bush-era FOIA policies today he made it a one-two after his inaugural (well-deserved) bitch slap of Bush over the Constitution. It looks like he has his priorities straight and is acting like a commander. (His salute is pretty good, but I've seen better.) But look, I'm as hardened a cynic as they come. In thirty-two years at this crap I have seen just about every kind of "let down" imagineable. The fact is that the force majeur of global economic collapse may make these efforts symbolic only; stillborn. But otherwise I could not be more encouraged over the last 36 hours. I know, that's a small sampling to judge an entire presidency. What will count most immediately -- and what will show us the Heart of Barack Obama -- will be what he does on the economy and he is going to have to make some very UGLY decisions within two weeks at most.

I was reading a piece today by Captain Hook at Financial Sense. It said that gold was like a beach ball being held underwater. That's a perfect analogy. My only minor disagreement was with Dr. Hook's assumptions about a recovery. There isn't going to be any recovery....

Continues at link

Hey all,

This article http://www.commodityonline.com/news/China-...-14417-3-1.html made me trade back into gold a bit. Having been in Japan and seen what happens when consumers start looking to gold, one can only imagine the impact if the volume of Chinese consumers began to see gold as a store of value.

Wanderer

Are you going back into the ETF or BV?

Where to Invest in Times of Distress?

"It is action well taken by the British government," Clive Hyman from Hyman Capital Services Limited said Monday. He sees "one or two US institutions to go to the wall this week." Puru Saxena from Puru Saxena Limited sees opportunity in copper, silver and platinum.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232/?video=1004555064&play=1

Does Manipulation Render Technical Analysis Obsolete? by Peter Degraaf | January 22, 2009 - http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editoria.../2009/0122.html

In conclusion: Technical analysis works in markets where there is no manipulation. It also works most of the time, even in manipulated markets, in view of the fact that the manipulators also read the charts. Historically manipulations are doomed, as supply-demand factors rule in the end. The banks tried to hold the gold price at 35.00 in 1968, and during one day in April they sold 4,000 tonnes in a vain attempt to hold the line. They failed then, and they will fail in the future.

Thus, in the words of Richard Russell: “He who buys the dips, and rides the waves will be successful.”

Beware the dirty tricks of the Gnomes of Zurich who are hell bent on trying to push the yellow metal back below 1,000 CHF.

Just my luck, I finally unlock my last significant bits of turdling & gold rockets.

Thxs to you cgnao I'm 60% in gold & happily drinking Chivas rather than Grants, but would you hold off purchasing more right now & wait for a smackdown? -- With euros maybe, but with Sterling I scare easily.

Without you guys I'd be another hapless victim; I may still be but at least the yellow metal makes me feel good :)

Thxs to you cgnao I'm 60% in gold & happily drinking Chivas rather than Grants, but would you hold off purchasing more right now & wait for a smackdown?

I'd like people's opinions too. I've been wanting to buy more Gold but was hoping I could get it a little cheaper. Should I jump in now at a new GBP high or hold off for a bounce in GBP (if there is one) and a fall in the Gold price?

I'd like people's opinions too. I've been wanting to buy more Gold but was hoping I could get it a little cheaper. Should I jump in now at a new GBP high or hold off for a bounce in GBP (if there is one) and a fall in the Gold price?

The best tactic is to average in and hold. I have been buying in on dips, but it kind of depends if you have any holding already. If I didn't have any holding I would buy some now, then average in the rest.

If you already have a holding, try to buy on dips rather than spikes.

The best tactic is to average in and hold. I have been buying in on dips, but it kind off depends if you have any holding already. If I didn't have any holding I would buy some now, then average in the rest.

If you already have a holding, try to buy on dips rather than spikes.

I only have a litte, so not sure. Might wait to see how it goes for a few days. Hoping the pound increases over the course of the day after a dip as it has been doing the past few days. Cheers for the help Pixel8r. Any other info/opinions are very welcome.

Are you going back into the ETF or BV?

I went back in through proxy - Royal Gold (RGLD) shares. Glad I did given today's action. Just my luck having taken profits. But Mrs W is keen to buy a house soon (I know, I know....) and gets mad when I tell her how much money we've made when gold goes up only to admit a week later its gone back down again.... So I took some profits this time!

I went back in through proxy - Royal Gold (RGLD) shares. Glad I did given today's action. Just my luck having taken profits. But Mrs W is keen to buy a house soon (I know, I know....) and gets mad when I tell her how much money we've made when gold goes up only to admit a week later its gone back down again.... So I took some profits this time!

Not sure what you mean. It's Sterling that plunges, gold is just doing fine. So, you exchanged something fine for something that is in a freefall and just paper anyway. I wouldn't call this "taking a profit." I would call this "making a financially disastrous decision." Oh,well.