Same in the NZ dollar. In the weaker currencies, POG will hold onto their gains as those currencies continue to depreciate. In the few remaining strong currencies POG will continue to be volatile. Sadly, my family and friends own a weak and weakening currency and from their perspective gold is starting to look awfully expensive. I tell them not to think of gold as expensive but their currency as worth-less.

Is it you that's from Korea? If so, anyong, and it could pay for your friends to hold their tongues as well as their gold...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article....p;in_page_id=64

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

There is no doubt in my mind that gold will go much, much higher. The nominal price of gold will possibly go beyond our wildest imaginations anyway. From that perspective, this is a sad day because I can afford less gold at these prices with my present income. FFS, only two years ago I could save double the amount of gold every month.

Are you not a little sad about the disaster that is unfolding, it's victims, the ignorant but honest hardworking people who believed in Krusty and Phil's easy path to effortless riches?

Are you not a little sad about the disaster that is unfolding, it's victims, the ignorant but honest hardworking people who believed in Krusty and Phil's easy path to effortless riches?

Yes, it's very sad. How many employees of Inside Track have been sent to prison so far?

Do you sort of feel we have harly started- even though these figures suggest we are more than half way there?

The old low in house prices from the 1980s was around 80 oz. This bubble that is popping right now is way more massive. We could easily see 50 oz. But that's just my opinion. I think 100 oz is a given.

UK houses will be next to worthless once half the population has emigrated/starved.

Yes. NO one will be thinking of buying houses when they will have reached 50 oz. They will be known as the greatest possible dog of an investment. The 'property precipice' will be on people's mind, not the ridiculous 'ladder'.

Yes. NO one will be thinking of buying houses when they will have reached 50 oz. They will be known as the greatest possible dog of an investment. The 'property precipice' will be on people's mind, not the ridiculous 'ladder'.

Didn't someone once buy an entire block in Berlin for 24 oz gold in the good old Weimar days?

In that case, there's no way I'm shelling out a whole 50 oz on just one house :D

There will be buyers but not buyers who think of them as an investment that will produce a profit.

That is the mark of a healthy house market IMO.

A place to live that you cannot be ejected from is the best reason IMO the only reason for house purchase.

Joe Six Pack.

I'm a one pack ;-)

I'd say I'm more of a keg ;-)

Top day for Gold and nice to be reading this forum with backing music from Swing out Sister :-D

Thanks for convincing me to come to the party Cgnao, I'm quite enjoying it now.

Copied from the inflation thread:

From Dec 1974 to August 1976 gold lost 43.4% of its price. Assuming April 08 as being a peak equivalent to Dec 74 or thereabouts then we have had nothing like the same falls yet.

From an entirely historical context...

But why did it fall ?

One of the fundamental drivers of the gold price is Real Rates of T-Bills. Look at what happened back in the 1970s.

Zeal_Real_Rates_1970to2008b.gif

Now look at Real Rates now. The Red Arrow shows where the gold price is heading.

Please read all 3090 words:

Real Rates and Gold 10

Adam Hamilton December 5, 2008

http://www.zealllc.com/2008/realgold10.htm

The last decade has similarities to the 1970s. But we have already had the positive Real Rates spike. The result was 2006/2007.

We are now past that, on the 1976 to 1980 phase.

Copied from the inflation thread:

But why did it fall ?

One of the fundamental drivers of the gold price is Real Rates of T-Bills. Look at what happened back in the 1970s.

Zeal_Real_Rates_1970to2008b.gif

Now look at Real Rates now. The Red Arrow shows where the gold price is heading.

Please read all 3090 words:

Real Rates and Gold 10

Adam Hamilton December 5, 2008

http://www.zealllc.com/2008/realgold10.htm

The last decade has similarities to the 1970s. But we have already had the positive Real Rates spike. The result was 2006/2007.

We are now past that, on the 1976 to 1980 phase.

+1

Don't rejoice, you fool.

The international monetary and banking system is blowing up.

Any gold you hold will only be useful if you manage to hold on to it and survive until the dust settles.

I can guarantee the world will look a very different and hostile place then.

Hmm I know what you mean.

However, I think its OK for folk to let off some steam.

For many of us Gold purchases were a brave new step in a very uncertain world.

Most regulars on this board are simply glad they 'protected themselves'.

Is it you that's from Korea? If so, anyong, and it could pay for your friends to hold their tongues as well as their gold...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article....p;in_page_id=64

I am a kiwi working at a Korean university [now holidaying in NZ]. As for Korea, Samsung reported a loss for this quarter, the first ever I believe. Samsung is a mega company comprising nearly 20% of the Korean economy. The Korean economy contracted nearly 5% in this quarter alone.

I would wait to see what happens next week.

Just my opinion, of course. My having said this, it probably won't make a good correction now. :unsure:

Thxs Wren, much appreciated :)

If I look at what I have in gold now, I'm doing well

When I look at what hasn't quite made it into gold yet :(

Whatever, I may just shut my eyes next week & make my final big (for me) purchase anyway.......then not look for two years !!!

If in doubt I take a backwards look at paper,....... then I need toilet paper!