• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I agree that the gold price spike in Sterling can't go on forever (it would be unnatural). One should not buy in such a period really. Much better to buy on dips or in sideway periods (which we had over many many months). However, this is psychologically difficult for some people.

Do you ever think to trade on the volatility with your GM stuff GF? I nearly sold at over £600 around xmas - expecting a dip... Thinking might make sense soon - but it's a tough one to call! Maybe just continue to buy on dips and hold - though it's sure tempting to trade.

Nothing here we all haven't read already, but it is always nice to see these articles popping up in the MSM - feels to me as if there has been a bit of an upsurge of late.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123284319920613125.html

What You Need to Know About Gold

* Article

* Comments

more in Investing »

By JEFF D. OPDYKE

Gold shined in 2008. Could 2009 be as bright?

Of all the major assets -- stocks, corporate bonds, cash and others -- gold was one of last year's few standouts. While so many investments collapsed amid the turmoil, the price of an ounce of gold posted a gain of about 4.3%.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...s-collapse.html

Banks were 3 hours from total collapse.

Treasury was preparing for the banks to shut their doors to all customers, terminate electronic transfers and even block hole-in-the-wall cash withdrawals.

Lord Myners was accused last night of being 'completely irresponsible' for admitting the scale of the crisis while the recession was still deepening and major institutions such as Barclays remain under intense pressure.

Im suddenly not so keen to sell my gold back into sterling!

Do you ever think to trade on the volatility with your GM stuff GF? I nearly sold at over £600 around xmas - expecting a dip... Thinking might make sense soon - but it's a tough one to call! Maybe just continue to buy on dips and hold - though it's sure tempting to trade.

I would prefer Roulette. But generally I do not gamble anyway.

It felt like it back then, didn't it?

Both Royal Bank of Scotland and HBOS were nearing complete collapse - but Lord Myners, who built up his fortune during a long career in the City, said the problems ran far wider.

I would prefer Roulette. But generally I do not gamble anyway.

Yes, that's how it would feel... Especially when this stuff is stated:

Treasury was preparing for the banks to shut their doors to all customers, terminate electronic transfers and even block hole-in-the-wall cash withdrawals.

Lord Myners was accused last night of being 'completely irresponsible' for admitting the scale of the crisis while the recession was still deepening and major institutions such as Barclays remain under intense pressure.

Im suddenly not so keen to sell my gold back into sterling!

It felt like it back then, didn't it?

It feels like it now tbh with bank bailout 2!

They just learnt to gag the news from getting out. With all the latest stories about the pound being finished and bankrupt Bitain, I would have thought the "major depositors, RBS's creditors in New York and Tokyo" would have withdrawn already.

Why not just swap metals using the Gold to Silver ratio as a guide. Then you get to play the market and stay in metal, rather than paper. The commissions on exchanging metal are a lot less than swapping paper to metal.

Why not just swap metals using the Gold to Silver ratio as a guide. Then you get to play the market and stay in metal, rather than paper. The commissions on exchanging metal are a lot less than swapping paper to metal.

It sound like a good idea to me... i am just missing information. What about the VAT on silver? Jumping from silver to gold and back for

me would be very difficult.

What are the odds on a sterling rally at the same time?

Yer, I guess its sods law but why would sterling rally? Because dollars fall? I cant see sterling going up much, its more likely to go down to parity with the euro, but who knows?

It sound like a good idea to me... i am just missing information. What about the VAT on silver? Jumping from silver to gold and back for

me would be very difficult.

He was talking about goldmoney accounts, there is no vat on silver at GM. Swapping both ways is easy and cheap.

Yes, good advice G0ldfinger - if you can understand the seasonals then even better.

The season movements in metals hasn't happened this year, maybe down to the credit crunch.

Or again, buy some US dollars and then use the volatility between it and gold. Only with a smaller percentage of your position of course. Also easily done on goldmoney.