• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I'm not doubting the longer term trajectory of gold is upwards, but when do people think this immediate market will pause for breath?

Im wondering the same thing myself Wanderer. My BV account is loooking very healthy but Im very tempted to take some profits here and repurchase when it falls back.

The question is how much to sell and at what price. How much steam is left in this move?

The chart in sterling looks fairly parabolic.

October was the time for some of the majors & mid tier ones, but some of the juniors still have to move. Here's a few that I have been buying over the last month.

pphp-1.gifp-2php.gifp-1php.gif

The above seem to be starting to move today.

JIN.TO + 13.46%

SVM.TO + 9.43%

GPR.TO + 18.03%

Dooh! Ive been looking into great panther today.

I've recently read James Turk and John Rabinos book "The collapse of the dollar and how to profit from it". The the book the suggest buying gold mining shares amongst other things and they suggest three portfolios of varying risk. Having checked the charts for some of these miners I see that they are down allot from the 2007 levels when the book was revised. Does this mean they were wrong or that now is a great time to buy? I think they are a great buy if you accept the veiws explained in the rest of the book.

The three sample portfolios.

Conservative gold miningstock portfolio

Gold Fields

Goldcorp

Newmont

IAMGOLD

Royal Gold

Balanced Portfolio

Agnico-Eagle

Freeport McMoran

GoldFields

Goldcorp

Kinross Gold

Newmont

Pan AmericanSilver

Royal Gold

Silver Wheaton

Aggresive Portfolio

Crystallex

Durban Deep

Excellon Reasorses

Gammon Gold

Golden Star

Great Panther

High River Gold

Minefinders

Novagold

Silver Standard

Ive do not have any experience with shares so I would appreciate the veiws of others. Does anyone know if any of these companies are dogs? Im opening up an account with selftrade.co.uk and im thinking of buying some of the cheaper shares in the aggresive portfolio. I wont be investing a huge amount of money as I feel more comfortable with physical PMs.

Im planning to open a share ISA with selftrade.co.uk (are they alright?) as the amounts im wanting to invest will be less than £7200 although I could double that with the wifes ISA allowance.

Im not sure which thread to add this to so I duplicated it into three! Thanks for your thoughts.

I've recently read James Turk and John Rabinos book "The collapse of the dollar and how to profit from it". The the book the suggest buying gold mining shares amongst other things and they suggest three portfolios of varying risk. Having checked the charts for some of these miners I see that they are down allot from the 2007 levels when the book was revised. Does this mean they were wrong or that now is a great time to buy? I think they are a great buy if you accept the veiws explained in the rest of the book.

I read that great book in 2007. I think you are right keeping the larger percentage of your money in bullion, I was certainly glad I did recently. I am currently around 75% bullion and 25% mining shares. I started buying GPR in Feb 08 at around $0.95 they ran up $1.8 but then fell all the way to $0.25. I have recently bought a lot more at $0.30.

I would recommend maybe going for the balanced approach rather than the aggressive one. I don't know all of the shares mentioned but have made some money on Royal Gold (safer) & Silver Wheaton (watch the debt) recently, both of which are royalty companies rather than miners. The thing to do is lots research into the ones you are interested in. Also another good thing to take on board is when they double sell half, miners do seem to be very volatile. Personal I think we had the low point in November and things will now pickup, but be careful with what happens in the spring. If the bullion prices start to come down, it maybe worth taking some profits.

I tried to answer your PM yesterday, but your mailbox is full, so it wouldn't let me send my reply.

Good luck and DYOR.

PAAS is probably the best silver mining company.

It's had a hell of a run up though, as have most of the miners, from $9 to $18. I traded in and out of the stock around $10, $11 and $13. I'm currently trying to learn some technical analysis and had my first stab at charting using the stock. I'd be wary of buying it $18+. For what it's worth (probably not a lot) I think $18 is top of the current range. I think $14 is a decent support level and perhaps worth an initial stake. I suppose if it consolidates around $18 it may be ready for another leg up, depending on how silver does. PAAS is popular for swing trading. Peter Schiff recommends PAAS as his silver play in his latest book.

SSRI has had an even bigger run from $5 to $20. SLW $2.50 to $7 (kicking myself for pulling my order at $2.70). I'd probably avoid CDE and HL.

If you're risk averse, go easy on the silver miners in your portfolio. They are very volatile.

Sorry.

Good grief, that's awful !

What about "price 'inflation' adjusted"

Inflation offers a plausible explanation. Late last year there was a full-blown deflation scare (which would be bad for gold). That is diminishing a little; prices of US index-linked bonds now imply the market expects inflation to average 0.77 per cent over the next 10 years. This is still low by historical standards, but is up significantly from November, when they briefly signalled outright deflation.

It seems premature to worry about rising inflation, as strong deflationary forces are at work in the world economy. But gold’s rise may show that traders now think the deflation scare was overdone, and sensed an opportunity to profit.

All of this views gold in dollar terms, in which gold is about 25 per cent above its peak from the last great bull market in the metal in 1980. In yen terms, gold is still barely half its 1980 level – which might imply that there could be more gold demand to come from Japanese investors.

And in sterling terms, gold is double its 1980 peak – which implies either great worries about returning inflation in the UK, or an overdone collapse of confidence in the pound.

Can I buy a US house at 25% above the 1980 price please :lol: :lol:

Re "the deflation scare":

Another day, another brand new all-time high in gold priced in terms of the British Pound and in Euros. Euro gold indeed looks like it has a legitimate shot at the 700 level while Sterling gold has taken out the 650 level. Euro gold was set at 691.627 at the PM Fix.

I found the remarks by one of the investment houses that gold was undergoing a period of “irrational exuberance” almost laughable to read. People actually pay good money to read such reports which I find a tragic waste of wealth. The gist of the notion set forth in the report was that since there is no inflation and that gold performs poorly during periods of recessionary environments, gold buying has no fundamental underpinnings.

I had to wonder if the person who wrote it was just out of business graduate school since it is obvious they have not a clue as to what gold actually is. For some reason there remains this almost fog-like obstruction that exists in the minds of so many, particularly the younger folks working in investment circles, that prevents them from recognizing that gold is a currency, not a commodity. When it is viewed as a commodity, of course its price will decline during periods in which jewelry or even industrial demand is waning.

However, and this is the key, when a crisis of confidence in paper currencies exists, then gold resumes its historic, time-tested role of being a store of value and investors seek it out to preserve that which they have labored so diligently to acquire. After all, if Central Bankers are diligently at work seeking to undermine any “value” that might or might not exist in their paper by debauching it as quickly as they can, where else can one put their wealth if not into something tangible that is a perceived store of value.

Try telling the good folk of Britain who are watching their once proud currency disappearing that gold is experiencing irrational exuberance. The only thing irrational that I see is the actions of the Central Banks and the governments who continue to manufacture money faster than a flock of hungry wild geese can pick clean a rice field.

http://jsmineset.com/index.php/2009/01/26/...-trader-dan-53/

Hmmm, couldn't watch the video before, as was watching TV :lol:

The video is more interesting. I still have a bit of a problem with the views though, but it depends on whether you view what he is saying as "what the market thinks" or "what he thinks". ie the market might expect gold to go down in deflation, but be wrong :lol:

Surely if the US$ rises against the rest of the currencies, then GoldUS$ goes down, and GoldEverythingElse goes up, to reflect the change in the currencies. Gold has not changed.

OOORRRRR, the pound is collapsing :lol:

Hmmm, couldn't watch the video before, as was watching TV :lol:

The video is more interesting. I still have a bit of a problem with the views though, but it depends on whether you view what he is saying as "what the market thinks" or "what he thinks". ie the market might expect gold to go down in deflation, but be wrong :lol:

Surely if the US$ rises against the rest of the currencies, then GoldUS$ goes down, and GoldEverythingElse goes up, to reflect the change in the currencies. Gold has not changed.

OOORRRRR, the pound is collapsing :lol:

I just like the video because it showed Gold in sterling and in euros. Makes a change from just seeing the POG in USD.

Regarding pound sterling - it is NOT collapsing today is it? now at 1.41x levels... OK - I know I should not just look short term...Rome didn't crumble in a day either!

Regarding pound sterling - it is NOT collapsing today is it? now at 1.41x levels... OK - I know I should not just look short term...Rome didn't crumble in a day either!

Tend to agree that the pound is due a little bounce, where do you think it is going to?

DrBubb thinks 1.42, hope he is right. Which would mean we should off again towards the end of the week.

+ Sterling may need to retrace to resistance near $1.42 or so before heading lower

I just like the video because it showed Gold in sterling and in euros. Makes a change from just seeing the POG in USD.

I've been trying to put my finger on what I'm not liking about that article/video. It's too late here to explain, but I think it's because I get the feeling it's the "standard explanation" or even worse the "official explanation" that's being touted.

OK, I'll be positive on non-US$ charts :D

Kitco Gold Index :D

The Kitco Gold Index, (press "Kitco Gold Index")

http://www.kitco.com/gold_currency/charts.htm?USD

No not today. Just for the past year :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I wonder what the Gold Threaders think of this - from the DrB Diary):

But BE CAREFUL WITH GOLD, as there is a real chance the rally could fizzle out right here !

00bitmap2lilw1.gif

I want to see it punch through that trendline. I may sell more today now that I have spotted this.

A pause, a slight pullback, and then a punch thru would be ideal. Meantime, I am feeling that the values

offered on the Oil side may be a better Buy or Hold right now.

THAT GOLD MOVE UP is weakened by three gaps, since the motive force seems for Gold's move has

been coming outside NY trading hours. I presume it is people fleeing a weak Sterling and weak Euro.

Right now, I see GBP rallying to $1.42 or better, and so Gold may be due a pause - or worse !

OK, I'll be positive on non-US$ charts :D

Kitco Gold Index :D

The Kitco Gold Index, (press "Kitco Gold Index")

http://www.kitco.com/gold_currency/charts.htm?USD

No not today. Just for the past year :lol:

Great charts, particularly like the 10 year one :D Thanks for the link.

10yeargold.jpg

The above seem to be starting to move today.

JIN.TO + 13.46%

SVM.TO + 9.43%

GPR.TO + 18.03%

These "Junior Jumps" can often come at the end of a gold rally,

since people start looking for a "cheap way in". I hope I am wrong, but I think a pullback (or worse)

may be dead ahead. If we see that, then I'm more long Juniors than I ought to be.

Here's another graph to consider.

goldwedge.jpg

I think youve draw the line wrong.

Longer term charts trump shorter term ones in ascertaining longer term direction