• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

The Economy The Titanic & The Life Rafts of Gold & Silver - http://www.321gold.com/editorials/schoon/schoon012809.html

HOW FAR IS DOWN

I saw my uncle last week. Now, in his late 80s, his mind is still sharp and his observations always of interest. Our conversation moved to the current state of affairs and my belief that another Great Depression was underway.

My uncle then said:

The difference between the Depression and today is now how much people owe. Instead of owing $15 they owe $15,000; and, because they owe so much more, this time the fall is going to be greater.

And, so it is.

Greenlight Founder Takes Grandfather’s Advice on Gold - http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...amp;refer=funds

"the timing of the decision was ludicrous," said Peter Fava, then head of precious metals at HSBC.

the timing was perfect. those in the know could see the UK state failure was a dead cert, and so pocketed the half the nations gold at rock bottom price.

"I was surprised they had chosen the auction method," adds Martin Stokes, a former vice-president at J.P.Morgan.

he is the sort of w4anker that probably ended up with some of it.

LOL, the UK certainly does!

Accountants at Grant Thornton reckon that Culpability (Brown) cost taxpayers 2 billion by selling 400 tonnes at the bottom of the market."the timing of the decision was ludicrous," said Peter Fava, then head of precious metals at HSBC. "We told them [the BoE] – you are going to push the price down before you sell it." That's just what happened, of course. Gold sank by almost one-tenth on the back of Gordon Brown's decision to announce his sales ahead of time. - "I was surprised they had chosen the auction method," adds Martin Stokes, a former vice-president at J.P.Morgan. "It indicated they did not have a real understanding of the gold market.

Clueless or not, however, it didn't matter. The Bank of England had no say in the matter. It only got to advise the government on HOW to sell the gold. The fact of the sale itself had already been decided by the Treasury. And since then, says the Times, the government has since defied calls to release minutes and emails written at the time. The Times says it's because the experts warned the government to hang onto its gold. Anon.

Brown's behaviour makes much more sense if the aim of the gold sales was to reduce the gold price - it is strong circumstantial evidence that central bank gold price suppression exists.

What is it with some of the coin dealers? I emailed Gurnsey mint but they haven't replied and thinking about it, ATS dont respond to emails & chards haven't either. Have others foound this too? This is over the last year.

I stopped emailing ats when I got email replies telling me to go down in person to talk...

Otherwise, they offer great service.

By the way, anyone seen gold performance today? Up up up again, wish I could have bought more.

Perhaps http://uk.reuters.com/article/businessNews...E50S3ID20090129 has something to do with ti.

I stopped emailing ats when I got email replies telling me to go down in person to talk...

Otherwise, they offer great service.

By the way, anyone seen gold performance today? Up up up again, wish I could have bought more.

Perhaps http://uk.reuters.com/article/businessNews...E50S3ID20090129 has something to do with ti.

I'm ready to buy more goldbut cant decide if its going up or down! I mean significantly. You think the escallating bad news will make the pice of platinum and palladium lower? They fell lower but seem to have risen slightly. Did they fall too far and have now leveled at a realisitic level? Im trying to be patient and wait for an obvious buy.

I'm ready to buy more goldbut cant decide if its going up or down! I mean significantly. You think the escallating bad news will make the pice of platinum and palladium lower? They fell lower but seem to have risen slightly. Did they fall too far and have now leveled at a realisitic level? Im trying to be patient and wait for an obvious buy.

I think gold is going up.

Over a 2-3 year timeframe. B)

I think the best strategy is to average in. Trying to wait for obvious buys could leave you missing the boat IMHO. Buy on Dips.

I think the best strategy is to average in. Trying to wait for obvious buys could leave you missing the boat IMHO. Buy on Dips.

I think it comes down to how much of your worth you already have in gold. If most of your worth is already in gold you can "afford" to wait for obvious buys. If not, then as you say average in.

Also, if you already have a decent amount of gold, the best strategy for buying is to trade US dollars with a smaller percentage of your gold position. Of course, taking profits in gold ounces on the big dips in POG. Here you are using the volatility of POG, and existing ounces, to add ounces.

By having a "trading" position alongside a long term buy and hold position you will be more objective towards POG .... not always wishing it to go up... or down for that matter.

Isn't that just a gimmick? It might be the first signs that the market is willing to use gold as an alternative currency but unless the fund is investing in gold then they'll have to go through national currencies to be able to pay out in gold.

More important for UK members: Soros covers sterling shorts. < $1.40 was too low.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9e9469a2-ed26-11...00779fd2ac.html

I think gold is going up.

Over a 2-3 year timeframe. B)

ha ha ha....... I meant short term......

Pixel8r, I completely agree with you if you haven't yet got a position in gold, or if its only small. As Romans holiday says, if you have most of your wealth in gold already (which I do) then you can afford to wait for obvious buys. Its just that todays low might have been the last obvious buy, or may be not! Im not in rush to get rid of my latest accumulation of turdlings even though its a floater at the moment. Im 80% into the idea of buying about 30 ounces of palladium unless gold drops back to £18,000 a kilo, I will get some more BV gold. I have noticed that ounce palladium bars go for a significant amount extra on ebay. Ive seen ounces going for £250-£300. The worry is that catalytic converters may not require palladium in the future.

I'm interested. How does one purchase this 'goldbut' please ?

ha ha ha....... I meant short term......

Its really difficult to say at the moment. I took profits and closed an IAMGOLD position yesterday because I thought that gold would dip today, but of course its done the opposite. I am torn between thinking that gold will now take its usual dip before climbing again, and on the other hand thinking that this rise in pog is starting to gain real momentum. Maybe go in 30% of what you intended to buy?

Its really difficult to say at the moment. I took profits and closed an IAMGOLD position yesterday because I thought that gold would dip today, but of course its done the opposite. I am torn between thinking that gold will now take its usual dip before climbing again, and on the other hand thinking that this rise in pog is starting to gain real momentum. Maybe go in 30% of what you intended to buy?

I think the main lift off will be later this year, autumn & winter, but who knows - it could be now. Tommorow might be interesting as Fridays seem to have more action, or it seems that way to me.

Edited.

I think it comes down to how much gold you already own. If you have a good chunk you can afford to wait for obvious buys. If not, then as you say average in.

Also, if you already have a decent amount of gold, the best strategy may be to accumulate ounces by trading US dollars with a smaller percentage of your gold position. Of course, taking profits in gold ounces on the big dips in POG. Here you are using the volatility of POG, and existing ounces, to add ounces.

By having a "trading" position alongside a long term buy and hold position you will be more objective towards POG .... not always wishing it to go up... or down for that matter.

If you are really concerned that POG might continue to climb leaving you behind holding US dollars then treat your trading account as also a cash proxy. Worst case scenario you are left holding US dollars [which have also built up due to trading gold volatility] Of course, this approach suggests you need not bother holding serious cash elsewhere..... unless you want to own another currency besides gold and the US dollar.

Also, imo this strategy will not work with weaker currencies such as the pound or kiwi dollar as those currencies will most probably continue to slide against their POG. I see the US dollar also sliding at a much later date... but for now, why not use its temporary strength.

Using the above strategy, I can then spend my hard earned salary on other investments.

Cat converters?

The world is swamped with 2nd hand and unsold cars - demand will be down for cars for several years, factories closed, on 'holidays'...

Factor all that in with palladium. I wouldn't touch it. I have similar worries about silver, but regard it also as poor man's gold, a currency when times get tough.

This is true, so can you see palladium falling further from where it is now or just staying at the range its in now for years to come? If I buy some, it will be a very long term investment, a pension plan.