• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Who was it that, at the beginning of January, polled us all for an 'end of January' prediction survey?

Is there a plan for summarising the outcome, and running another?

It was me and yes I will crunch the results tomorrow and ask for next months predictions :)

Reasons to sell.

http://www.financialsense.com/Market/wrapup.htm

* Adjusted for inflation in 2008 dollars, $1,000 has been the high water price for gold since Sir Isaac Newton first standardized it in 1717. (The NG article has a great chart of this.)

* Every time it has spiked through this level in the past three centuries, gold prices have fallen for the next 100 years or so.

* Investors are marginal buyers of gold. Jewelry and trinket demand have accounted for about 75% of global gold demand this decade.

* Worldwide jewelry demand collapsed with other wealth in 2008, and is expected to fall further in 2009.

* In all of history only 161,000 tons of gold have ever been mined, barely enough to fill two Olympic-size swimming pools. More than half of that supply has been extracted from the earth in the past 50 years alone.

I'm not selling anything though. My back is killing and I dont fancy digging it up.

Gold getting a lot of coverage lately :unsure:

All signs of a major top coming - I hope no one is buying this final peak as the general public sure will be with all the stories going round. Inflation going lower (deflation) and stockmarkets poised to rally which is a disaster for gold - I think we have another 10 to 14 days left and we will hit an all-time high getting close to $1,100.

Time to think about taking some profits ready for much cheaper prices in 2010 before the exciting stage :)

All signs of a major top coming - I hope no one is buying this final peak as the general public sure will be with all the stories going round. Inflation going lower (deflation) and stockmarkets poised to rally which is a disaster for gold - I think we have another 10 to 14 days left and we will hit an all-time high getting close to $1,100.

Time to think about taking some profits ready for much cheaper prices in 2010 before the exciting stage :)

Nahhhhhh :D

Goldman Sachs have to wait for everyone else to go long and for the price to get up to about $1250 before they go short.

They have to profit on the way down and on the way up. There's not been enough profit for them on the way back up yet :P:D

Of course, if the 1970s repeat, they'll lose control and just see it going up up up with almost no falls.

Gibber,

The first two charts are from articles written a while ago about the way Goldman Sachs were reducing their short position. Suggesting the bottom was going to be in late Nov. and presumably they'd be going net long at that point.

Looking at the chart last night I was reminded of those articles and checked to see what the predicted bottom date was. No surprise there then :D

Who was it that, at the beginning of January, polled us all for an 'end of January' prediction survey?

Is there a plan for summarising the outcome, and running another?

Time to remember this poll from Mar 2008.

When will gold reach $1000, $1200 & $10,000 ?, The winner wins a chocolate gold coin (virtually)

Started: Mar 7 2008

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=2882

The poll results for $1200 (from March 2008):

GoldPredictions_1200_080307.gif

It looks like only 5 people have a chance of being right !

sold some coins today - the reasoning is that I needed to offload personal physical to buy allocated physical. Just hope that the interim period doesn't prove costly!

bought some oil (crud.l) as well this week, will see what happens

My local dealer was reporting very brisk business today. several 1 oz coins in which sold same day (today). Seems there is very strong buying, even the shop owners cant believe where its coming from. They said they had never seen anything like it.

My local dealer was reporting very brisk business today. several 1 oz coins in which sold same day (today). Seems there is very strong buying, even the shop owners cant believe where its coming from. They said they had never seen anything like it.

Interesting. I think £buyers will hold value for a while as it's now the euros turn for the short sellers (imho). Of course if gold breaks out of the longer-term upward channel it's held for some months now, all bets are off!

sold some coins today - the reasoning is that I needed to offload personal physical to buy allocated physical. Just hope that the interim period doesn't prove costly!

bought some oil (crud.l) as well this week, will see what happens

did the same a month back. the POG [in US] remained favorable in the interim though the currency I was parked in for a few weeks proved fickle.

Was quite telling really... I think this year will be about currencies.

Suggesting the bottom was going to be in late Nov. and presumably they'd be going net long at that point.

Saw this on Gold is Money in December;

GOLDMAN SACHS MAKES MASSIVE COVERING OF GOLD SHORTS - GOES NET LONG!

In the December 18 session on the TOCOM Goldman Sachs COVERED an absolutely gob-smacking 1,307 gold short contracts which reduces their short position to just 495 contracts and leaves their long position unchanged at 1,337 contracts and makes them NET LONG – REPEAT, NET LONG 842 contracts. This is an absolutely stunning development! This is the largest net long position they have held ever since I have been tracking the TOCOM data which is almost 3 years. Considering Goldman’s role in the Cartel and links to the Treasury this is of earth shattering significance. It should also be noted that for ANY trader to be buying 1.3 tonnes of gold in a single day it deserves attention, when it is Goldman Sachs it has special significance.

There are more and more signs that the gold market is about to make a very big upwards move.

I thought I'd create the new thread before anyone reminded me :P:D

And it gives me a chance to start off this thread with a very bullish post.

Last thread is here: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=5471

Last post here: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ost&p=93381

Open interest is still a miniscule 348,000 contracts, far, far off from the peak made back when gold took out $1,000 where it peaked above 593,000. Can you see why this market is in such a bullish posture with the open interest readings at such a low level and gold less than $80 away from the $1,000 level? The funds could add another 150,000 new longs and the open interest would still be almost 100, 000 off the peak! That is simply astonishing to this long-time trader.

It is difficult trying to maintain a modicum of objectivity and not let one’s emotions cloud their judgment when analyzing this market simply because even contemplating another 100,000 new longs along, much less 150,000 or even 200,000 and $1500 gold would be a given. The bullion banks are going to have to absorb a tremendous amount of buying to merely keep gold from charging to $1000.

Hourly Action In Gold From Trader Dan

http://jsmineset.com/index.php/2009/01/30/...-trader-dan-57/

GoldUS_TraderDan_090131.gif

IMO it's pretty certain we are now in a mini bull phase.

If you are trying to buy, that means looking for higher lows, not lower lows.

If you are looking to sell, well you are beyond hope :lol:

TOO MANY GOLD BULLS - be very careful now!

I have seen polls where 90%+ of the people polled were bullish on gold.

From my Feb. diary:

Dash for cash - Why?

People have become too bullish on gold.

Something like 90% of people polled were saying that Gold was a "Buy." Here's a question: If you thought gold was headed higher to $1,000 or $1,500, would you wait for the market to run up to buy it, or would you have bought already. If those who are planning to buy gold have bought already, who is going to do the buying to lift it higher? This may be a problem for the gold market from here.

I am still long gold shares (quite a few of them in fact), so if Gold runs higher, I will make money.

But I have been lightening up everyday in a "dash for cash"