Got my first Britannia today, one of those fresh 2009 ones.

Much nicer coin than the Krugerrand and only £10 more expensive! And CGT free - why did I not start buying these in the first place?

ATS - Bullion... again, I felt inadequate buying my 1 oz, while waiting behind a bulk buyer, boy people are really putting all their money in

gold! And some people have loads of it.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Got my first Britannia today, one of those fresh 2009 ones.

Much nicer coin than the Krugerrand and only £10 more expensive! And CGT free - why did I not start buying these in the first place?

ATS - Bullion... again, I felt inadequate buying my 1 oz, while waiting behind a bulk buyer, boy people are really putting all their money in

gold! And some people have loads of it.

A few ounces is much better than nothing. Like you said you might as well get britannias and sovereigns as they are free of CGT in the UK.

The interesting video a few posts above shows how gold is saving people's lives in Zimbabwe right now.

I just wandered back to the thread that indirectly caused a lot of people to end up here.... the "Gold and why it will go the same way as property" thread

goldthread.tiff

I was amazed to see how popular it still is, even though demoted to a sub-forum. Nearly half a million views and over 10,000 responses.... incredible!

I know, it doesn't add anything to this thread, just thought I'd drop it in as some here will know it.....

Sterling-priced gold hits record on flight to safety

12 Feb 2009 - 09:22

LONDON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Gold priced in sterling rose to a record high of 666.04 pounds an ounce on Thursday, as interest in the metal as a safe store of value boosted demand.

Gold futures in India also hit an all-time high, while on Wednesday dollar-priced gold rose to a 6-1/2 month high and record highs in euro, Swiss franc and Canadian dollar terms.

Sterling-denominated gold was quoted at 664.56 pounds an ounce at 0917 GMT, up from 652.06 late on Wednesday.

(Reporting by Jan Harvey; Editing by Sue Thomas) ((jan.harvey@thomsonreuters.com; +44 207 542 7744; Reuters Messaging: jan.harvey.reuters.com@reuters.net))

Keywords: GOLD STERLING HIGH

I just recieved the gold sovereign in the post from the newspaper advert for £119. Looks OK to me. I will send them a cheque and letter to cancel further coins. Who knows when a sovereign will cost more than £235 though?

I thought they were not full sovereigns. What's the weight?

I thought they were not full sovereigns. What's the weight?

Its a full sovereign, 1911 nice condition but not mint. Weighs 8.00 grams on my scales and looks genuine. I have lots of them to compare with. Ive carefully read the paperwork and there is no obligation to buy any more.

They even put in lots of fancy marketing stuff, cotton gloves, treasure pouch etc. They are banking on enough muppets pay for a coin each month at £235 to off set the teaser deal. Like I say, who knows how long before a sov is £235?

http://www.londonmintoffice.org/shop/actio...-of-Empire.html

Mmmmm, cough cough.

200mda crossing 50mda !!!

You know how excited TAs get about that :D

What Does Golden Cross Mean?

A crossover involving a security's short-term moving average (such as 15-day moving average) breaking above its long-term moving average (such as 50-day moving average) or resistance level.

GoldenCross.gif

Investopedia explains Golden Cross

As long-term indicators carry more weight, the Golden Cross indicates a bull market on the horizon and is reinforced by high trading volumes. Additionally, the long-term moving average becomes the new support level in the rising market.

Technicians might see this cross as a sign that the market has turned in favor of the stock.

Its a full sovereign, 1911 nice condition but not mint. Weighs 8.00 grams on my scales and looks genuine. I have lots of them to compare with. Ive carefully read the paperwork and there is no obligation to buy any more.

They even put in lots of fancy marketing stuff, cotton gloves, treasure pouch etc. They are banking on enough muppets pay for a coin each month at £235 to off set the teaser deal. Like I say, who knows how long before a sov is £235?

There's gotta be a catch, nobody gives away free money. :huh:

Does keeping your assets in PMs damage your credit rating?

I'm currently taking advantage of a local rental market slump to move to a cheaper flat but the letting agents have said my credit rating has come back as poor :angry:. I've never missed a bill of any sort for years, always paid off credit cards pronto, earn (net) earning over 8x the annual rent, have a years rent in cash-ISAs (my only exposure to poisonous sterling) :blink: .

Is it the untraceable sums disappearing from my current account to fund PMs that are denting my credit rating?

(For the record I keep physical gold bullion and allocated silver through GM)

Just looked at the form, "applications accepted from UK MAINLAND ONLY". <_<

Thanks I have just applied for one too. Let me know if anything happens after your letter.

Diet Cola Addict,

I suspect your credit rating is poor for the same reason mine is: you don't have enough debt. As I understand it, these numpties work out your credit rating by reference to how much debt you've taken on and successfully repaid [note: in this case I don't think repaying a loan early counts as 'successful' as you've 'diddled' the lender out of anticipated profits]. What they want to see if people with lots of debt paying it off according to, but not ahead of or behind schedule.

I'd never had a credit card, paid off a mortgage after four years (STR'd) and had an abominable credit rating a while ago despite having a very healthy savings stash and no debt. I've never taken a loan other than my one mortage. In pre-crunch terms this meant I was unknown ergo a credit risk.

I'm hoping that, in the near future, people might see this differently!

You might find that putting your daily spending on a credit card and paying it off monthly helps your credit rating. [Although you may find being forced to do this, like me, objectionable].

Wanderer

Diet Cola Addict,

I suspect your credit rating is poor for the same reason mine is: you don't have enough debt. As I understand it, these numpties work out your credit rating by reference to how much debt you've taken on and successfully repaid [note: in this case I don't think repaying a loan early counts as 'successful' as you've 'diddled' the lender out of anticipated profits]. What they want to see if people with lots of debt paying it off according to, but not ahead of or behind schedule.

I'd never had a credit card, paid off a mortgage after four years (STR'd) and had an abominable credit rating a while ago despite having a very healthy savings stash and no debt. I've never taken a loan other than my one mortage. In pre-crunch terms this meant I was unknown ergo a credit risk.

I'm hoping that, in the near future, people might see this differently!

You might find that putting your daily spending on a credit card and paying it off monthly helps your credit rating. [Although you may find being forced to do this, like me, objectionable].

Wanderer

yep, you are correct.

Welcome to bonkers britain.

I always make sure we purchase a fair amount every year with credit cards for this exact reason, I kid you not. It's fooken laughable that the more debt you have & pay off, the more credit worthy you become in the UK. Totally the opposite of what it should be.

On a similar note though. A 28 year old teacher who has just joined my wifes school as a senior teacher (that alone makes me laugh, senior teacher at 28 ffs <_< ), has just been refused credit for a new mini, he also rents. I don't know his personal situation, but if a senior teacher can't get credit for a mini, then somethings wrong. He opted for that deal where you effectively just rent the car.

I suspect your credit rating is poor for the same reason mine is: you don't have enough debt.

Owning credit cards helps your credit rating as does having a current account with an overdraft. It doesn’t really matter that you haven’t used them. Every month, the card issuer or bank puts a little smiley face on to your credit record. It is also helpful if you keep accounts for a long period of time so your credit record shows a long history of successful credit management.

Regarding the London Mint Office coins...

You are not buying a normal Sovereign here folks;

"Specifications

Description: King George V last circulating type gold sovereign, minted 1911-1925

Quality: Exemplary - similar to that shown

Weight: 8 grams

Size: 22mm diameter

Metal alloy: Gold, 22 carats pure (.9167)

Obverse (portrait) designer: Bertram Mackennal

Reverse (St.George) designer: Benedetto Pistrucci"

These are metal alloy with 91.67% gold not the 99.99% or whatever you normally get