• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold now at $979.

It's been an 11 month wait but gold is very close now to a test on four-figures again, IMHO.

If I remember last time correctly, it spiked through $1000 from about 20 dollars below. Well, we are now $20 below. Anything at all goes our way in the markets in the next 24h, then we may breakthrough.

Dolllar was weak when gold hit 1030. Surely GOLD has long since tested the highs?

Dolllar was weak when gold hit 1030. Surely GOLD has long since tested the highs?

Hi qwertyuiop

Of course, I agree. But there is one month and two weeks left in the Oct-Mar 'summer season' for gold. If there is going to be a moment in this season yet where the market gets spooked and gets the Hee-Bee-Gee-Bees, its probably likely to be at the $1000 mark

Just to let you know, Britannia’s are very cheap on CID at the moment, they're £739.38 compared with Weighton Coins at £765.00. Admittedly CID's are not '09 Britannia’s but who cares? CID's price doesn't look right given the current spot rate.

I noticed that. Krugerrands are moreexpensive than Brittanias. Krugerrands were meant to be cheaper than coins, coins at bar rates. Now they have a high premium.

There are many who think gold is over done, due for a correction, but how do you expect it to ever get to $2,000 an ounce, or $10,000? Gold went to $1030 and corrected for a year, it is now reacing that high again. Gold made a high in May 2006 and consolidated for a year, only reaching its previous peak in sept 2007. Sounds simmilar? In Sept 2007 it made another big move up. The fundamentals for gold are better now than they were in sept 2007, or even march last year when we were at $1030. I read through the gold thread covering the move up to $1030 and many were saying it looks over done and were predicting a fall before it even got to $850! I dont see a correction at all but a massive move up as big investors pile in to the only bull market in town. But then, as I often say, I'm just a fool so theres no good listening to me.

BTW, I suspect I may have been ripped off on ebay for a krugerrand. Good job I paid on the credit card, via paypal.

I got my 5x9 (99999) maple today from CID. I've not seen it pictured before and its a different design to the standard one. Comes on a presentation card. I'll upload a picture if anyones interested.

All the people who think gold is over done, due for a correction, how do you expect it to get to $10,000 an ounce, or $2000? Gold went to $1030 and corrected for a year, it is now reacing that high again. Gold made a high in May 2006 and consolidated for a year, only reaching its previous peak in sept 2007. Sounds simmilar? In Sept 2007 it made another big move up. The fundamentals for gold are better now than they were in sept 2007, or even march last year when we were at $1030. I dont see a correction at all but a massive move up as big investors pile in to the only bull market in town. But then, as I often say, I'm just a fool so theres no good listening to me.

I feel a bit conflicted.

I think the difficulty this time around is the disconnect between gold valued in dollars and gold valued in just about everything else.

When all currencies were more or less synchronised, it was possible to look at a price-of-gold chart (in whatever currency) and think 'it's due a pull-back,' or 'it's got some legs yet'... or whatever, and there was a sense that it was a judgement about gold itself that one was making.

Now, with the dollar chart looking so much different than, say, the sterling chart, one chart can look like gold still has legs, while the other makes it look like gold could be due a pull-back.

So... looking at the gold-in-dollars chart, I can see what you're saying. I imagine there'll be a tussle around the $1k threshold, but maybe there'll be no noticeable pull-back. However, on the sterling chart, it does still feel a bit as if gold's been a little excitable lately, and that perhaps (at least in saner times), it might just pull back a bit and consolidate for a little while.

With two different-looking charts, it's easy to come to two separate conclusions. If chartism is worth anything, shouldn't that be the case?

Although it's hard to imagine that price of gold in dollars would rise without taking gold in sterling along with it! :unsure:

know where you're coming from - i once posted this and it didn't even raise so much as a titter

Ronnie-O-Sullivan-masters-final-09_18014

Like it, double-agent.

In my personal opinion, I think we should avoid images of spaceship-shaped objects on launch pads for a while....Ides of March, and all that.

On a bulletinboard full of contrarian thinkers (RBS tried to sell me a £ bond the other day while I was in branch at 1.4% pa - are the public really that dumb?), I think we can do some out of the box humour anyway.

... However, on the sterling chart, it does still feel a bit as if gold's been a little excitable lately, and that perhaps (at least in saner times), it might just pull back a bit and consolidate for a little while....

Sterling doesn't matter on a global scale. If gold goes through $1,000, it will also go up in Sterling since it will go through it with some momentum.

I think I am with Azazel. We might see something like $1,200, and then a correction down to the new support at $1,000.* The bullion banks might give in since some of them have covered their @sses (Goldman on the TOCOM).

*NOTE: This is only a guts feeling, no TA etc. I am neither buying nor selling any at the moment. The point is, it might happen when people don't expect it. Even Frizzers doesn't expect it. :)

I feel a bit conflicted.

I think the difficulty this time around is the disconnect between gold valued in dollars and gold valued in just about everything else.

When all currencies were more or less synchronised, it was possible to look at a price-of-gold chart (in whatever currency) and think 'it's due a pull-back,' or 'it's got some legs yet'... or whatever, and there was a sense that it was a judgement about gold itself that one was making.

Now, with the dollar chart looking so much different than, say, the sterling chart, one chart can look like gold still has legs, while the other makes it look like gold could be due a pull-back.

So... looking at the gold-in-dollars chart, I can see what you're saying. I imagine there'll be a tussle around the $1k threshold, but maybe there'll be no noticeable pull-back. However, on the sterling chart, it does still feel a bit as if gold's been a little excitable lately, and that perhaps (at least in saner times), it might just pull back a bit and consolidate for a little while.

With two different-looking charts, it's easy to come to two separate conclusions. If chartism is worth anything, shouldn't that be the case?

Although it's hard to imagine that price of gold in dollars would rise without taking gold in sterling along with it! :unsure:

I agree, the sterling chart looks like its due a rest, but the dollar chart looks set for a BIG jump. Who cares about sterling? I bet the gold chart in Icelandic Kronas or Zim dollars looks over done too!! We in the UK in gold could benefit big time from the weak pound when gold makes its big moves.

Big, big, big, big, big, bigger!!

I feel sorry for those thinking of buying. Do they jump in and benefit from a move up or wait for lower prices that may never happen? Fortunatly, Im fresh out of "money". I will carry on saving up and see if anything looks cheaper in the future.

Sterling doesn't matter on a global scale. If gold goes through $1,000, it will also go up in Sterling since it will go through it with some momentum.

I think I am with Azazel. We might see something like $1,200, and then a correction down to the new support at $1,000.* The bullion banks might give in since some of them have covered their @sses (Goldman on the TOCOM).

*NOTE: This is only a guts feeling, no TA etc. I am neither buying nor selling any at the moment. The point is, it might happen when people don't expect it. Even Frizzers doesn't expect it. :)

I wanted to add, isn't trader Dan pointing out all the time how low open interest in gold is recently? Sounds as if we could go much higher from here. But what do I know really? :rolleyes: